This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27)

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Donation idea is good^^

Post  Boyun Park on Sun Apr 13 2008, 18:27

Ryu Jeong A wrote:pig pig I am of opinion that it is really fantastic idea to make such big Easter eggs because they make the citizens laugh and appreciate the art some time. I think that kind of events not only give good impressions on the hotel or bakery that diplayed them but also make the day of Easter more festive mood. Secondly, my predictin of those eggstravagant eggs is that they will develop every year and perhaps the raise some money for the poor. That is to say, while sharing and eating the eggs with the citizens, they can open a small donation, which I believe make the synergy effect in the end. I thinkl that is the very meaning of the Easter day.pig pig

When I first heard this videoclip, I thought the big Easter egg was fantastic and just amazing. I wondered how they could actually make it? However, on the other hand, I thought that must cost a lot and relatively poor people might feel alienated. I thought it could only be a delicious and beautiful egg to some selected people and that sounded unfair. But your idea of donation and sharing that joy with all citizens made me think in different way. I love you Like you mentioned, it could really bring everyone a treat and shared moments! That's what Easter day spirit is!!! Exclamation
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

good opinion^^

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Sun Apr 13 2008, 18:36

Hi~^^ Hye-Jin

When I read your writing at first, its style and word choice are good.^^ Anyway, I agree with your saying. Modernized techniques demand convenient and fast procedure in dealing with something. Even, in my case, I rarely go to a bookstore to buy a book, except for a kind of magazine. I think that its sale will increase because of its well-known popularity as well as more easily accessible. Penguine Book included many interesting stories, so I want to have one through the internet. I really like to put many books into my bookshelf. Very Happy

Lee Hye Jin wrote:opinion

I like the idea that makes average people participate in making tales with famous authors. People might feel like they are working with them and they are really respected as special readers. As time goes by, technology and trend are changing faster and faster. And according to popular trend and development of the technology, all the business sectors have to follow suit. There is no more number one position in any part these days. Everything changes so fast. Thus we all have to upgrade ourselves and all the business and markets also have to change to suit the taste of potential consumers to survive.

I also want to suggest a good idea making a full story participating as many readers as possible on line. Like we did in the class last week, all the readers who visit the web site can access and add stories or edit them. Then it could boost the popularity of the company and it could be a chance to let a creative writers out in the world.

prediction

I think the reaction about allowing the free download of all the penguin books would be explosive. These days more and more people like to buy books on the Internet. However, we can only see the contents and just a few pages of the books. We don't have much time to look through the book we want to buy throughly now. I heard people say buying books on line is much cheaper and convenient but sometimes they fail to find the exact book they want only through the names of the books. So it's natural to let potential customers of on line book stores check and preview at least one chapter. However, from the viewpoint of writers it could be breach of copyright. If we can download one chapter of all the books we can use it as our own. So some writers or association of writers might protest against the move. We'll see.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You can say that again!

Post  Oksun on Mon Apr 14 2008, 11:31

Lee yujin wrote:Opinion
As time has changed dramatically, the way we live has also deeply been influenced by the change in this society. Especially the advent of Internet and high-technolohgy has changed every single aspects of our lives. Reading cannot be an exception.
I'm of the opinion that Penguin Book's innovative way to tell a story using the internet will attract many young readers who are familiar with computers and high-tech gadgets. In addition, thier story is not predetermined, so readers can make up the story with their own choices, which will achieve the ulimate goal of writer -reader interaction in the text.

Prediction
Using this methodology, reading education will change. It doesn't have to be boring and hard anymore. Children will enjoy reading like on-line games and thier reading expericences will automatically record in the computer files which are easily assessed and reported. However, paper back versions connat be neglected. Teachers and parents should hit the balance between this on-line and paperback version for the best educational benefits.
You can say that again ! - Paperback books are not to be neglected. As for me, I'm so accustomed to reading a paperback book rather than reading the on-line version.
I don't want paper books to be overtaken by the technological, electronical ones.
Anyway, e-books are beneficial for youngsters to read and learn. It's easier way for them to access,for sure.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27)

Post  Kim Hyunjin on Mon Apr 14 2008, 11:50

Yoobin Cha wrote:Opinion:

I am of the opinion that the incumbent president, Chen Shui-bain, is widely seen as pushing for Taiwan independence, which has angered China and has led to increased cross-Straits tension. Beijing considers the island part of the Chinese nation and has vewed to use force.
However the Twiwan President Ma based his campaign on promises to reverse President Chen's pro-independence direction and leverage China's econmic boom. I think that Taiwan is hard to independent from Beijing although they can be re-energize Taiwan's ailing high-tech economy.

Prediction:

I heard that the four best-performing Asian markets have been Taiwan, Pakistan, Thailand and Sri Lanka. The new president of Taiwan is expected to end the previous administration's frosty stance toward China, allowing the Taiwanese economy to benefit from the growth and dynamism of the mainland. Taiwan will be
globally large Asian market to make the other Asian miracle-in the-making.

I used to be interested in poilitics, because it was too hard to understand without background. But now I try to understand, so I watch and read a lot of news throught TV and newspapers. And your opinion and prediction is helpful for my politics study, too. Thanks!
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yesterday's foes can be friends tomorrow

Post  Lee Pilsu on Mon Apr 14 2008, 13:22

I think there are no permant foes and friends between nations as we can witness the changes of diplomatic relations between nations. Taiwan and China were on bad terms with each other until the new president of Taiwan announced that he will try to boost bilateral economy with China. I think it's a matter of survival whether a country changes its stance toward another country. Taiwan may fall into a financial trouble if it maintained a cold relations with China who threatened by its powerful military force to conquer Taiwan. By having friendly relations with China, Twain presumably can spend less on defense and more on boosting its economy.

Kim Eun-jung wrote:Opinion:

I'm of the opinion that relationship between countries is more and more being determined by economic sense. Taiwan has maintained a cold relationship with China because of ideological difference. The two countries went through an ideological conflict and many people were sacrificed sticking to their belief. As priority moved from ideology to economy, China began to accept capitalism partially and grew fast economically. China became economic blue ocean in the world trade market, and many countries wanted to maintain a good relationship with China. The world can't deny the power of China any longer. Recently some countries criticized China because of the genocide in Tibet, and said they would boycott the Olympic games. But others including several developed countries maintained neutral attitude because China was rising big buyer of their products. There's no eternal friend or eternal enemy in relationship between countries. They only move for economic benefits.

Prediction:

China is growing faster and it is racing to be a world economic power. More and more countries are turning their eyes to Chinese market to boost their economy, and it's an unavoidable stream of the times. It will take some time to build stable friendship between Taiwan and China, but they will achieve it for economic benefits.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

Post  Ji-eun on Tue Apr 15 2008, 06:49

I love you Opinion

I'm of the opinion that this idea is really extraordinary!!! Anyone who can see these giant eggs might think about the true meaning of Easter again, maybe. Actually, i have little knowledge about Easter, so i don't know well, but in my opinion, many people will be able to enjoy seeing these giant eggs in this special day!

I love you Prediction

My prediction is that many people will show their interests to the giant chocolate eggs! It must be very expensive, but i think some people want to buy this one in memory of Easter. Moreover it can be possible to make another giant somethings to the memory of other special day!
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oksun on Tue Apr 15 2008, 20:05

Ji Young, Kim wrote: I'm of the opinion that it's a brilliant idea that Penguin books is trying to attract the attention of potential customers (or readers) to reading by using the latest digital technologies and offering various online services.

I strongly believe that reading is one of the greatest habits we can have because, as all of us already know too well, we can learn, have so many valuable experiences indirectly which are not likely to happen in our real life, and develop our intellect while still having a lot of fun. So, in our school, we teachers are encouraging students to read a book for 10 minutes every morning before the first class starts and trying to make it an important part of students' daily routine. However, it seems like that these days many youngsters (and not few older people) are more interested in computer games or movies than books, which are more eye catching and fascinating visual-wise. So, sometimes it is very hard to make students interested in reading and get them to read only a few pages a day.

Therefore, it must be a clever idea to try to appeal to customers by developing a new way of reading as introduced in the report, which combines reading, computer games and some other latest technology like 'Google maps.' The new kind of reading looks more fun and exciting than the traditional one, and will be able to make curious readers visit the company's website for at least 6 weeks to read the whole story written by 6 different authors.

And it is another clever idea that the company provides various websites and online services for readers considering their age and different book tastes. Readers can share their opinions about books with others and get a lot of information about newly published books on those websites, which will eventually lead to the increase of the company's book sales and the total revenues.

My prediction is that the new kind of reading Penguin Books has developed will be definitely successful in attracting the public's attention and getting many people to visit their homepage. Other publishing houses inspired by Penguin Books will also try to offer useful online services and come up with brilliant ideas that potential readers might be interested in, so as to compete and boost their sales.

And, as the Internet has a great influence on every part of our lives, it will also play an more important role in the publishing industry - online book sales will be increased and e-books will get more popularity. However, still many readers want to stick to traditional ways of reading, so I quite doubt that e-books will ever replace books in print. Smile

Hello,Jiyoung. I totally agree with you .The renovated way of reading books will definitely draw people's -especially adolescents' attention.Youngsters have much interest in the Net and love to surf the Net. They don't really like to read books although public education system emphasizes on the importance of reading. Penguin's new program will be beneficial to teenagers-and some adults as well and will attract them to the computer desk. Maybe children will enjoy the e-book as if they play computer games. Some people might predict that paper books are destined to become old-fashioned thing to be preserved in a museum like an extinct species. However, as a print- oriented person, I dare to say there will not be extinction of books in print.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mi Jin Jeong on Tue Apr 15 2008, 21:49

jihyun wrote:First of all, I would say, after browsing the Penguin homepage, this is splendid technology .
By using this new technology, Penguin Books can make their publishing company more famous and attract many people to visit their website, I am sure.

On their site, http://www.penguin.co.uk/ , there are many linkages such as We Tell Stories http://www.wetellstories.co.uk/, Facebook , Twitter and Tasters. Because of my insufficient ability of English, I can't totally understand all of the programs and the way to handle this program but I could know that this is very interesting and exciting offering of Penguin Books.

People who were annoyed by going to the book store will enjoy this way of reading and People who would like to go to the book store will also like this way of reading and book shopping. I'm of the opinion that this is good way of not only saving time for going to the store and finding out the right book but also having easy access to the book.

In terms of We Tell Stories, as Penguin Books director predicted, people who were addicted to this programs will visit this site week after week and want to know the next story(seventh story) anxioiusly. Moreover, people who visit their site have more chances to buy thier products and use their programs whatever they are.
As they say, my prediction is that both adult and young pepole will like this new technology.

As for Facebook, I think it's very good way to catch popurity. Sometimes even when there are books on website, I prefer to go to the off-line book store to see the contents and some short story line such as how the story started and who is the main character, etc. People like me will like this kind of service of Penguin Books.

The only thing that I would suggest is the idea that if they made it real "We tell the stories", it might have been more genuine and interesting to people who have various tastes. When I read some part of the story, there was a map and an icon which moves, then I thought what if someone really read the story for me?! Wink It will be much more funny and realistic. Of course there should be options whether to use the voice telling or not. drunken
Anyway, I think that more and more book stores will use this way of using the cutting-edge technology.

These days, competition in market is getting severe and i think catching people's attention is more important than pushing them to buy products. Therefore companies have to do something special to win and grow the market.
I think those websites is great to catch people's attention. People will visit websites often and enjoy them. Then they get from the websites more often. The company would succeed to seize customers' mind.
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mi Jin Jeong on Tue Apr 15 2008, 22:09

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(opinion)

As not a christian, I don't have much knowledge about this ritual relating to Easter eggs. Despite unfamiliar customs to me, even most koreans, it is true that events in a church are pleasing enough to attract people's interest. In my case, I had a couple of experiences in paying a visit to a church by following my friends. At that time, my intention was not for the celebration of Christ, but out of curiosity. On Easter, a church provides a variety of foods for anyone who comes to a church. I was given several eggs at a church, not knowing the special meaning of them. As I grow up, I realized that the each meaning of eggs and Christ' birth was involved in the same principle; Eggs represent the birth of new creatures and the process of incubation is alike to the rebirth of Christ. I'm of the opinion that special eggs which are decorated with a great deal of chocolate are elaborately made to inform many people of the celebration of Christ's rebirth as eggs get much popularity. In other words, they emphasize the holy meaning of Jesus' rebirth, as newly born creature tries to get out of the hard shell which seems to be a hardship to a chick.

At the beginning, simple eggs developed to the various types, which consisted of wood, silver, gold, or jewel. After many changes to eggs, chocolate eggs are finally released to the public. However, there may be some people who are opposed to the use of chocolate eggs because of its prevailing commercial purpose. A wide range of chocolate eggs is preferred by big business owners because their peculiar characteristics attract many possible customs, which is followed by a big profit. I also think that these meaningful eggs may be contributed to the poor who are neglected as outsiders on our society. By doing so, a few bad reputations caused by extravagancy(too much high price) could be weakened.

(prediction)

These days, many people would like to stick out and get much attention from others. I think that making various types of Easter eggs is one of good examples in this respect. Several materials are already used in making eggs: wood, precious metals, and jewels. My prediction is that producing an empty egg would be a good idea, which is a effective way to secretly keep one's wishes to the God. It's also likely that small private things such as rings or pictures are fit in it. In my case, if I had a chance to put my own paper in an empty egg, I would write down my hope. My words in the paper would say that I want to meet him again I did fall in love with, whatever we hurt each other.

Hey~ Jinyoung, your opinion and prediction make me feel holy and remind me of Easter's meaning one more time. Actually, I thought that the business world makes use of Easter for their commercial purpose, not for celebrating Christ's birth. Now I have read your opinion, however, I've known that there are many people to meditate the meaning of Easter even though they are not Christian.
If I have got a chance to put something into an empty egg, I also would like to save my hopes, just like you said.

Make our wishes come true. ^^
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk on Wed Apr 16 2008, 06:22

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:I'm of the opinion that every national election of the president is very important thing in every country. All the people's voting makes the country a wholly different one. According to this video article, Taiwan's new presidential candidate Ma insisted that he would have a strong relationship with the China government in a peaceful manner. I also think that the relationship with other countries is the most important matter, so in establishing diplomatic relations with other countries, they should take a cautious and prudent attitude. So candidate Ma's commitment seems to make Taiwan's people think that the economic and political condition of the country will be much better. I heard that if Ma wins the election, the Taiwan's government and regime will get changed to the peaceful regime in 8 years. So after being finished the election, I want the new regime to make the country a very peaceful place to live in.

My prediction is that the Tibet demonstration will have a negative influence on changing the Taiwan's regime. The candidate Ma insisted that he would make a good relationship with China, but many people of the country concern about China's lockdown to the Tibet demonstration. Though Ma said they would be in a good relation in terms of economic and political condition, China government performed armed suppression so Taiwan's people will worry about coming regime. If the China government doesn't slove the matter in a peaceful manner, the people of Taiwan will keep worrying about their new regime. Also they will demand Ma to govern the country in a much more difficult and peaceful way.

Recently, the influence of China over world is incredible...Some people there are worrying the relationship with China, but they also voted for Mr. Ma because they were convinced that Taiwan’s economic survival depended on closer ties. Maybe, the staggering situation in their economy might make electorates to choose him.
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What a good opinion and prediction

Post  Lee Pilsu on Wed Apr 16 2008, 07:33

You have a very penetrating insight for this issue, I guess. Yes, I think there are two benefits if Taiwan has a good relations with China. One is security from China who has consistently maintained "One China" policy. The other one is better economy from more free trade between China and Taiwan. However, we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the two countries are "friends". I don't think China is such a friendly nation, rather I think it's like a giant monster that tries to gobble up any nation if it thinks it's beneficial to the country. However, we can prevent such things happening by drawing other equally powerful nation like the United States or EU. I think those two groups are able to check the power of ever-growing China. I think Taiwan also keep a close diplomatic tie with the United States and other western powers. Taiwan is taking a very smart strategy at this point by having a friendly relationships with both China and other western powers as well. However, since this power struggle is not always balanced, Taiwan should be cautious and make continous effort to keep its nation from China's possible threat all the time.

billy wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that the Taiwan's new president has a bit progressive but practical attitude toward the mainland China in that he intends to make the maximum use of the long-standing standoff as a new opportunity for Taiwan. Also, he seems to try to approach the largest communist country in the world in a strategic manner for both protecting the missiles toward Taiwan and opening a new trade route with the technical 'enemy'.

Prediction: My prediction is that despite the new Taiwan government efforts the Chinese government will not let down their overpowering stance. In effect, there is not much thing to lose for the communist nation in not having a favorable or peaceful relationship with Taiwan. The ever-increasing mighty influence of China on every aspect of the world's affairs will discourage other countries from actively favoring Taiwan's side. Anyway, I hope Taiwan's new president will make a good diplomatic relation with China, which will contribute to the world peace and prosperity.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk on Wed Apr 16 2008, 16:50

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(opinion)

As not a christian, I don't have much knowledge about this ritual relating to Easter eggs. Despite unfamiliar customs to me, even most koreans, it is true that events in a church are pleasing enough to attract people's interest. In my case, I had a couple of experiences in paying a visit to a church by following my friends. At that time, my intention was not for the celebration of Christ, but out of curiosity. On Easter, a church provides a variety of foods for anyone who comes to a church. I was given several eggs at a church, not knowing the special meaning of them. As I grow up, I realized that the each meaning of eggs and Christ' birth was involved in the same principle; Eggs represent the birth of new creatures and the process of incubation is alike to the rebirth of Christ. I'm of the opinion that special eggs which are decorated with a great deal of chocolate are elaborately made to inform many people of the celebration of Christ's rebirth as eggs get much popularity. In other words, they emphasize the holy meaning of Jesus' rebirth, as newly born creature tries to get out of the hard shell which seems to be a hardship to a chick.

At the beginning, simple eggs developed to the various types, which consisted of wood, silver, gold, or jewel. After many changes to eggs, chocolate eggs are finally released to the public. However, there may be some people who are opposed to the use of chocolate eggs because of its prevailing commercial purpose. A wide range of chocolate eggs is preferred by big business owners because their peculiar characteristics attract many possible customs, which is followed by a big profit. I also think that these meaningful eggs may be contributed to the poor who are neglected as outsiders on our society. By doing so, a few bad reputations caused by extravagancy(too much high price) could be weakened.

(prediction)

These days, many people would like to stick out and get much attention from others. I think that making various types of Easter eggs is one of good examples in this respect. Several materials are already used in making eggs: wood, precious metals, and jewels. My prediction is that producing an empty egg would be a good idea, which is a effective way to secretly keep one's wishes to the God. It's also likely that small private things such as rings or pictures are fit in it. In my case, if I had a chance to put my own paper in an empty egg, I would write down my hope. My words in the paper would say that I want to meet him again I did fall in love with, whatever we hurt each other.

There are loads of things that were commercialized by some people, and even some of them are quite memorable and historic things like Easter..I feel pathetic to those people who are using those kinds of meaningful things and tarnish the origin...They are not only selling products and making money, but making the younger who don't know exactly about those historic or meaningful things more confused or to get them wrong...
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

digital book

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 16 2008, 17:20

I think that it will be really helpful for babies and children.
When they learn characters, animal sounds, and tables, digital books can inspire their intersts and concentrations by offering sounds.
I usually use internet sites to buy books for discounted price, these sites offer
digital books to preview. It was helpful to me to buy books.

Boyun Park wrote: Very Happy Opinion : I'm of the opinion that this new ambitious digital writing project will be a big hit and help many readers keep interests in reading books. People these days use internet a lot and are accustomed to high technology gadgets. It will also be convenient for readers to be able to download first chapters of every books in advance like we flip books and take a look at paper books in stores. Similar to games and having fun finding out what happens in next chapters in following weeks, I think they will especially attract young readers.

Very Happy Prediction : Seeing Penguin Books make a success and fortune by this project in near future, other book publishers will follow this digital march as well. They will compete more and more with higher technology and better ways to attract and engage readers. Penguin Books might ask readers about their opinions on stories and let them edit or finish books. Readers online could share ideas and there will be many many Twisty-turny stories here and there!!! However, some people might miss the past when they used to give paper books as presents or dogear the page in childhood. Maybe someday in future, paper books could be hard to find! They could become antiques!!
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Your take Taiwan as a dark horse

Post  inmyheart479 on Wed Apr 16 2008, 17:34

Oksun wrote: Exclamation Opinion:

Taiwan's presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou won the presidential election, getting the congratulations of U.S. President George W. Bush . Bush reportedly regards Ma's win as a fresh opportunity for both sides ,China and Taiwan, to resolve their differences. Taiwan's president-elect Ma promised to work for a century of peace and prosperity. He also promised to improve relations with China, which still claims sovereignty over Taiwan. I'm of the opinion that the sovereignty issue seems to be the most touchy issue across Taiwan. There have been deep-rooted hostilities since Taiwan split from the mainland, so Ma could be a peace-maker in this situation.

Arrow Prediction:

I can predict some change of the triangular ties among those countries-the U.S.,China and Taiwan. Ma declared "unprecedented" visit to Washington before his formal taking office on May 20. It is said that the U.S. is in dilemma as to whether to accept his offer or not. It is likely that, if he gets a permission, it will be a turning point in Taiwan's diplomatic development. Taiwan will want its identity to be respected and eagerly want to confirm its diplomatic status on the world stage.

China has threatened an invasion if Taiwan declares independence and this showed good cause for building up military power in China. But now, Washington will try to provide their weapons to Taiwan and put pressure on Beijing. As president-elect Ma doesn't want Taiwan to gain independence from China "for now", Washington expects China to adjust their military power by cutting down to size.

Ma promised to work to improve trade, tourism and transport links. According to the news report, Taiwan will open a door wide to tourists from China in July. There will be a non-stop Taiwan-Beijing flight as well. By doing these, he intends to accelerate economic development and make Taiwan "the hub of finance and distribution industry" in East Asia. His economic plans have already been estimated as feasible by some economic experts .Taiwan , which was one of the "Four Dragons" in East Asia including Korea, Hongkong and Singapore in 1980s, is going through economic slump now but who knows when Taiwan will catch up with us? - Taiwan is such a dark horse!

Hi, Thank you very much for a chance to read this well-thought out article.
I think you have made a very good point throughout whole text with a host of good knowdge on current issue in Taiwan. As you predict, Taiwan will be entering a new phase with the Mr. Ma sworn in as the nation's new president. We might be able to see it as a good sign to establish a non-stop Taiwan-Beijing Flight in the hope that it will provide easier acess to each countries. On a fianl note, I like your saying that Taiwan is such a dark horse. We know something which has potential power comes all the way through behind and takes the world by surprise.
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Twain president, Ma

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 16 2008, 18:01

When I took ELS courses, I met Twain classmates. I just thought that Twain was small part of China because they spoke and wrote Chinese and always kept Chinese companies.
Oneday, my class had a big quarrel.
A teacher asked us to introduce our own countries. Chinese girls got together to make presentation. They gave us a nuance that Twain was included in China.
Twain girls blammed Chain and there was a fight.
I also think that Twain president, Ma, enhances the economy and political ties with China to stimulate Twain's economy.

kurt wrote:Everyone in the world seem to have suffered from economic problems. When candidates stump for their campaign, their top agenda is how to turn the economy around and how to get it back on the right track. This was well demonstrated in Korean presidential campaign. We chose to elect President based on his career background as a CEO. This is probably what people really want. They want to choose someone who can stimulate the economy and give more job oppotunities to rank and file people. I think this is applied to Taiwan and U.S presidential race too. Taiwan voters elected Ma to be president, apparently trusting his campaign of economic growth and closer ties with China. As you can see here too, people want a good economy instead of a sluggish one or political instabilities. After the announcement of the election, Taiwanese stocks surged with investors expecting Ma's policy of enhancing the economy and political ties with China to stimulate Taiwan's economy. There has been a substantial increase in tourism and construction stocks since Ma vowed to open the direc flights and allow Chinese to invest in local properties.
Some of people in Taiwan worry that China's crackdown on Tibet will be likely to take place in their own territory if Taiwan gets too close to China. However, I do not think this will happen because Taiwan is not Tibet. Neither it is Hong Kong. It is a independent sovereign country and a democratic country.

The maintenence of economic stability and good ralations with China will be the top priorities among ordinary citizen as well as government officials.
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  inmyheart479 on Wed Apr 16 2008, 18:21

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that the chef must be genius. How could she think of making a giant dazzling egg! It catches everyone's eye who passes by and eventually promotes the sale. Although it takes a lot of time and effort to make that, she doesn't need to spend a penny to advertise her product. Even Reuters are reporting this to the people all over the world!

My prediction is that every year the more luxurious easter eggs will be presented. It's almost the same way as Victoria Secret advertises their lingerie. Every year, it presents jeweled lingerie. Actually, no one would wear it because it's too expensive and uncomfortable. However, it does help promote the sale because after they see the luxurious lingerie, their standard of reasonable price went up. Likewise, after people see giant dazzling egg, they may think that it's O.K. to spend more money on buying easter eggs that they thought before.

Hi Liz.
You comment on Victoria Secret as a way of introducing their sales strategy is very interesting. Well, I think it relates to this luxurious egg as well in a way but I am a little doubuful that how much the egg has done in part for boosting slaes of Easter eggs. However, I am positive on that the egg did quite a good job as an eye catcher.
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Easter egg

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 16 2008, 18:27

I watched programs about art of Easter egg. That was wonderful!
I am allergic to eat many eggs so I hate egg food, even to see it.
However, I was surprised that egg could be colorful, artful drawing paper.
I am not a christian but I think Easter makes our life more bountiful.

Kim Hyunjin wrote:I watched this news one day morning during breakfast. That time I became cynical, so I thought there was a person who played with food. After that, I considered that if I am a christian, did I still think so? Maybe, I might not. Easter is one of memorial and holy days to christians as well as Christmas. So, it might be natural tfor them o do that. Also the egg was suprising and the color was beautiful,too. But l don't wish to eat that because it looks like very sweet.
My prediction is that some collector may buy those Easter eggs and some parents do those to give their kids for Easter presents. Anyway, it is going to become more popular than now, so the eggs will be more various in aspects of colors, sizes, and other decorations.
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:12

Lee Hye Jin wrote:opinion

I like the idea that makes average people participate in making tales with famous authors. People might feel like they are working with them and they are really respected as special readers. As time goes by, technology and trend are changing faster and faster. And according to popular trend and development of the technology, all the business sectors have to follow suit. There is no more number one position in any part these days. Everything changes so fast. Thus we all have to upgrade ourselves and all the business and markets also have to change to suit the taste of potential consumers to survive.

I also want to suggest a good idea making a full story participating as many readers as possible on line. Like we did in the class last week, all the readers who visit the web site can access and add stories or edit them. Then it could boost the popularity of the company and it could be a chance to let a creative writers out in the world.

prediction

I think the reaction about allowing the free download of all the penguin books would be explosive. These days more and more people like to buy books on the Internet. However, we can only see the contents and just a few pages of the books. We don't have much time to look through the book we want to buy throughly now. I heard people say buying books on line is much cheaper and convenient but sometimes they fail to find the exact book they want only through the names of the books. So it's natural to let potential customers of on line book stores check and preview at least one chapter. However, from the viewpoint of writers it could be breach of copyright. If we can download one chapter of all the books we can use it as our own. So some writers or association of writers might protest against the move. We'll see.

Hi~ I also think participation of readers is a good idea. Recently the word 'interective' became a magic word in education. All of the trendy methods seem to contain the word 'interactive'. This trial of Penguin Books that enables interaction between writers and readers is very fresh and trendy.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:22

Ji Young, Kim wrote: I'm of the opinion that it's a brilliant idea that Penguin books is trying to attract the attention of potential customers (or readers) to reading by using the latest digital technologies and offering various online services.

I strongly believe that reading is one of the greatest habits we can have because, as all of us already know too well, we can learn, have so many valuable experiences indirectly which are not likely to happen in our real life, and develop our intellect while still having a lot of fun. So, in our school, we teachers are encouraging students to read a book for 10 minutes every morning before the first class starts and trying to make it an important part of students' daily routine. However, it seems like that these days many youngsters (and not few older people) are more interested in computer games or movies than books, which are more eye catching and fascinating visual-wise. So, sometimes it is very hard to make students interested in reading and get them to read only a few pages a day.

Therefore, it must be a clever idea to try to appeal to customers by developing a new way of reading as introduced in the report, which combines reading, computer games and some other latest technology like 'Google maps.' The new kind of reading looks more fun and exciting than the traditional one, and will be able to make curious readers visit the company's website for at least 6 weeks to read the whole story written by 6 different authors.

And it is another clever idea that the company provides various websites and online services for readers considering their age and different book tastes. Readers can share their opinions about books with others and get a lot of information about newly published books on those websites, which will eventually lead to the increase of the company's book sales and the total revenues.

My prediction is that the new kind of reading Penguin Books has developed will be definitely successful in attracting the public's attention and getting many people to visit their homepage. Other publishing houses inspired by Penguin Books will also try to offer useful online services and come up with brilliant ideas that potential readers might be interested in, so as to compete and boost their sales.

And, as the Internet has a great influence on every part of our lives, it will also play an more important role in the publishing industry - online book sales will be increased and e-books will get more popularity. However, still many readers want to stick to traditional ways of reading, so I quite doubt that e-books will ever replace books in print. Smile

Hi~ Ji-young~ You must be a good teacher to think of your students' lack of reading experience watching the news. I also hope this new way of reading will encourage our students to have interest in reading.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:30

Ryu Jeong A wrote:pig pig I am of opinion that it is really fantastic idea to make such big Easter eggs because they make the citizens laugh and appreciate the art some time. I think that kind of events not only give good impressions on the hotel or bakery that diplayed them but also make the day of Easter more festive mood. Secondly, my predictin of those eggstravagant eggs is that they will develop every year and perhaps the raise some money for the poor. That is to say, while sharing and eating the eggs with the citizens, they can open a small donation, which I believe make the synergy effect in the end. I thinkl that is the very meaning of the Easter day.pig pig

Hi~ Your idea of donation is really good. Surely such a big Easter eggs were created to celebrate Easter, but they can become more and more commercial like the chocolate of Valentine's day. If the earnings from the sales of the eggs are donated, it will become more meaningful Easter.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Penguin Books

Post  Jung Yoojin on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:30

I tried to figure out the third story talking about Penguine books.
I know it's already passed one but I want to exercise my listening and I want to share some opinions with you.

Summury:
Penguin Books published whever they can sell such as streets, tolls and so on. They had sold bunch of books and they keep trying to develop. Nowadays they put first one chapter on online which readers can preview or read , then readers can decide whether they buy it or not. They provide lots of services for spreading reading penguin books. They try to innovate some trends. So there are internet six authors which we call 'we all stories' they are different people who write the story repcectively, and they are looking forward to having the seventh author to finish up the story.

Opinion :
I was impressed that Penguin Books publisher tried to innovate their marketing. Because generally people think books are just books in the shape of printing. They are smart to implementing internet services such as for only teens , and other communities. If they are always looking for something new about reading books, then many people can be interested in reading. And I found it is interested in making stories.
We had experiences making twisty stories, it fits to penguin books newly marketing.
Reading innovatively written stories from six or seven autors sounds great.
I think Korean publisher can utilize it as well. There are bunch of internet authors in online, how about making some special story about korean history or korean? We can devote to that as well!

Prediction :
People are really enjoyed that internet twisty stories and Penguin Books published that book all over the world. And people feel interested in reading books and writhing books, so all the people start to enjoy reading. And Penguin Books made Awards corporation to support amateur writers. They provide money and publishing environment every year for proficiency.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

oh! It's fantastic!

Post  Jung Yoojin on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:46

First of all , I would like to thank you ! When I heard the news today, I want to visit that website! It was not easy to find that but you provide us !
I have just visited the wetellstories and penguin books website, it was fantastic!
Especially former one , it was very interesting . I could read stories and the map following the location where authers write(it is ??) . It 's fantastic. And I remind the twisty stories what we had done before, I think it is quite simiar. So how about trying to write that? haha~ As you said, Penguin Books looked boring and have lots of pages as other English books are. I agree with that , especially those papers sometimes I feel sick on my eyes when I read them. Penguin Books' reputation will spread more widly through online marketing and those wetellstories project.
Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: The image of 'Penguin' that I have had so far is that it produces very long, difficult classical literature books. I have purchased some of them because the price was quite cheap and they are all good literaturary works but I hasitated to read them because it is hundreds of pages long and full of difficult sentences. Now, it seems to me the Penguin publishing company is trying to renovate its hard image into more friendly and entertaining one by making on-line story telling website. Actually I've visited the website(http://wetellstories.co.uk/) in which I tried a few things in it. I tell you that it's very amazingly different from other ordinary story telling websites. For example, in a fairy tale story section, you as a reader have a bit of options of how the story will be told. You can give names to the main characters at your disposal, and many other interesting options you can use. So I found it very entertaining, interesting, and educational as well. Also since the Penguin Tasters(http://www.penguin.co.uk/static/cs/uk/0/penguin_tasters/index.html) allows people to get access to the first chapter of some Penguin published books, which is in PDF file, readers who can read the contents of books a bit can make a more well-thought-out purchase instead of ordering any book and feeling disappointed after that.

Prediction: My prediction is that even though Penguin Publishing company is already well known around the globe, it will get more attention and reputation as a leading book service company as it attempts to promote Internet-based reading service, which is creative, unique, funny, and also, free of charge and, therefore, more Internet users will visit the website and like it.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I really agree with you

Post  sunnypine on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:52

Bae Sung-han wrote:Opinion :
I'm of the opinion that the story given in the news is absolutely funny. In Korea, I can probably hear this one from the world news channel around the Easter. Huge eggs as a gift for a family are not an appropriate idea, I think. In Korea, we also use the eggs for the Easter, but I don't know why. The Easter means the resurrection from death. The original story is that Jesus was crucified on the cross and after three days, he was raised from death by God Father. Somehow, however, I may connect the resurrection with the fact that chicken crack out of the eggs. And what are we doing with boiled eggs? That's why I mentioned I have no idea with the eggs.
But if someone wants to celebrate the Easter in that way, I don't mind at all. One thing I am a bit bothered is that human society seems to be led by the commercial ads, so that loads of money are spent by the people, especially youngsters. I am so concerned about that. Unlike the Easter's celebration, other events such as St. valentine's day, white day, black day and so on are getting bigger than ever. People might want to be treated like being speical.
If I say more about the events we have through the year, it will give me a lot of complications and stress.

Predition:
My predition is that in the western countires, there might have had a great deal of trades between consumers and producers. And the consumption of the trades can increase in the following years because advertisers of companies try to attract people more than the previous years. In western society which is different from our society, the religious atmosphere is all around so that it influences all generations for celebration. In korea, like the Christmas, we are celebrating the Easter without any religious matter.

I also wrote about this news like you about the Easter as a commercial marketing thing. Like Valentine's day and white day, yeah! that is so true.. I really hope we could have real meaningful celebration of holidays. Usually the people who celebrate holidays by buying those materials are young people. They are just doing that for fun, but that is really good benefit for several companies like candy or chocolate companies. I think we need to know the real meaning of the holidays and celebrate in a more meaningful way. clown
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

wow! you are such a good writer!

Post  sunnypine on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:59

Oksun wrote: Exclamation Opinion:

Taiwan's presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou won the presidential election, getting the congratulations of U.S. President George W. Bush . Bush reportedly regards Ma's win as a fresh opportunity for both sides ,China and Taiwan, to resolve their differences. Taiwan's president-elect Ma promised to work for a century of peace and prosperity. He also promised to improve relations with China, which still claims sovereignty over Taiwan. I'm of the opinion that the sovereignty issue seems to be the most touchy issue across Taiwan. There have been deep-rooted hostilities since Taiwan split from the mainland, so Ma could be a peace-maker in this situation.

Arrow Prediction:

I can predict some change of the triangular ties among those countries-the U.S.,China and Taiwan. Ma declared "unprecedented" visit to Washington before his formal taking office on May 20. It is said that the U.S. is in dilemma as to whether to accept his offer or not. It is likely that, if he gets a permission, it will be a turning point in Taiwan's diplomatic development. Taiwan will want its identity to be respected and eagerly want to confirm its diplomatic status on the world stage.

China has threatened an invasion if Taiwan declares independence and this showed good cause for building up military power in China. But now, Washington will try to provide their weapons to Taiwan and put pressure on Beijing. As president-elect Ma doesn't want Taiwan to gain independence from China "for now", Washington expects China to adjust their military power by cutting down to size.

Ma promised to work to improve trade, tourism and transport links. According to the news report, Taiwan will open a door wide to tourists from China in July. There will be a non-stop Taiwan-Beijing flight as well. By doing these, he intends to accelerate economic development and make Taiwan "the hub of finance and distribution industry" in East Asia. His economic plans have already been estimated as feasible by some economic experts .Taiwan , which was one of the "Four Dragons" in East Asia including Korea, Hongkong and Singapore in 1980s, is going through economic slump now but who knows when Taiwan will catch up with us? - Taiwan is such a dark horse!

Actually, I dont have much impormation about society or poitics, so when I watch this kinda news I dont have anything to write actually. That's my problem. After watching some stuff, and say.."So what?" like this.. It's not really related to my language skills but to my content or knowledge wise.. right? I need to study!! and read about various fields. I really enjoyed your writing. I've read.. a book about "Four Dragons". it was English book.. and it was really fun to read. and I think your prediction is so right..!! We can talk about this later!!
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hmm good practice.. for your listening!

Post  sunnypine on Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:05

Jung Yoojin wrote:I tried to figure out the third story talking about Penguine books.
I know it's already passed one but I want to exercise my listening and I want to share some opinions with you.

Summury:
Penguin Books published whever they can sell such as streets, tolls and so on. They had sold bunch of books and they keep trying to develop. Nowadays they put first one chapter on online which readers can preview or read , then readers can decide whether they buy it or not. They provide lots of services for spreading reading penguin books. They try to innovate some trends. So there are internet six authors which we call 'we all stories' they are different people who write the story repcectively, and they are looking forward to having the seventh author to finish up the story.

Opinion :
I was impressed that Penguin Books publisher tried to innovate their marketing. Because generally people think books are just books in the shape of printing. They are smart to implementing internet services such as for only teens , and other communities. If they are always looking for something new about reading books, then many people can be interested in reading. And I found it is interested in making stories.
We had experiences making twisty stories, it fits to penguin books newly marketing.
Reading innovatively written stories from six or seven autors sounds great.
I think Korean publisher can utilize it as well. There are bunch of internet authors in online, how about making some special story about korean history or korean? We can devote to that as well!

Prediction :
People are really enjoyed that internet twisty stories and Penguin Books published that book all over the world. And people feel interested in reading books and writhing books, so all the people start to enjoy reading. And Penguin Books made Awards corporation to support amateur writers. They provide money and publishing environment every year for proficiency.

Wow, you are such a good student!! I should copy you. haha I think your opinion and prediction are so right. those are so futuristic. We need to read many books. and to do that, using internet is really good try i think. They are easy to access and read. I hope Korea could join this flow of the world. Hey, maybe you can be that amateur writer! who writes about Korean history or Korean food.. like that!! that will be so awesome.. jocolor or we can do it!! yay~
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next