This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27)

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Eggstravagant Easter eggs

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Thu Apr 03 2008, 09:12

pig pig I am of opinion that it is really fantastic idea to make such big Easter eggs because they make the citizens laugh and appreciate the art some time. I think that kind of events not only give good impressions on the hotel or bakery that diplayed them but also make the day of Easter more festive mood. Secondly, my predictin of those eggstravagant eggs is that they will develop every year and perhaps the raise some money for the poor. That is to say, while sharing and eating the eggs with the citizens, they can open a small donation, which I believe make the synergy effect in the end. I thinkl that is the very meaning of the Easter day.pig pig
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eggstravagant Easter eggs

Post  Kim Hyunjin on Thu Apr 03 2008, 10:13

I watched this news one day morning during breakfast. That time I became cynical, so I thought there was a person who played with food. After that, I considered that if I am a christian, did I still think so? Maybe, I might not. Easter is one of memorial and holy days to christians as well as Christmas. So, it might be natural tfor them o do that. Also the egg was suprising and the color was beautiful,too. But l don't wish to eat that because it looks like very sweet.
My prediction is that some collector may buy those Easter eggs and some parents do those to give their kids for Easter presents. Anyway, it is going to become more popular than now, so the eggs will be more various in aspects of colors, sizes, and other decorations.
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taiwan's new president

Post  billy on Thu Apr 03 2008, 10:18

Opinion: I'm of the opinion that the Taiwan's new president has a bit progressive but practical attitude toward the mainland China in that he intends to make the maximum use of the long-standing standoff as a new opportunity for Taiwan. Also, he seems to try to approach the largest communist country in the world in a strategic manner for both protecting the missiles toward Taiwan and opening a new trade route with the technical 'enemy'.

Prediction: My prediction is that despite the new Taiwan government efforts the Chinese government will not let down their overpowering stance. In effect, there is not much thing to lose for the communist nation in not having a favorable or peaceful relationship with Taiwan. The ever-increasing mighty influence of China on every aspect of the world's affairs will discourage other countries from actively favoring Taiwan's side. Anyway, I hope Taiwan's new president will make a good diplomatic relation with China, which will contribute to the world peace and prosperity.
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taiwan's new president

Post  kurt on Thu Apr 03 2008, 11:06

Everyone in the world seem to have suffered from economic problems. When candidates stump for their campaign, their top agenda is how to turn the economy around and how to get it back on the right track. This was well demonstrated in Korean presidential campaign. We chose to elect President based on his career background as a CEO. This is probably what people really want. They want to choose someone who can stimulate the economy and give more job oppotunities to rank and file people. I think this is applied to Taiwan and U.S presidential race too. Taiwan voters elected Ma to be president, apparently trusting his campaign of economic growth and closer ties with China. As you can see here too, people want a good economy instead of a sluggish one or political instabilities. After the announcement of the election, Taiwanese stocks surged with investors expecting Ma's policy of enhancing the economy and political ties with China to stimulate Taiwan's economy. There has been a substantial increase in tourism and construction stocks since Ma vowed to open the direc flights and allow Chinese to invest in local properties.
Some of people in Taiwan worry that China's crackdown on Tibet will be likely to take place in their own territory if Taiwan gets too close to China. However, I do not think this will happen because Taiwan is not Tibet. Neither it is Hong Kong. It is a independent sovereign country and a democratic country.

The maintenence of economic stability and good ralations with China will be the top priorities among ordinary citizen as well as government officials.
kurt
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A doubtful thought on the new way of reading books

Post  billy on Thu Apr 03 2008, 11:09

I think Penguin books' new idea of presenting stories built up by six different authors on the Internet is very interesting and Miss Kim's preference for the online reading over the traditional way is reasonable. However, I surmise the new way of reading may attract many Internet-using readers, but will not be able to keep them for a long time. I don't refute the great influence of the Internet on every aspect of our lives. But, book is really a time-tested way of transferring knowledge, which has been favored by 'real' book lovers. I don't think it will be changed in a short time.

Ji Young, Kim wrote: I'm of the opinion that it's a brilliant idea that Penguin books is trying to attract the attention of potential customers (or readers) to reading by using the latest digital technologies and offering various online services.

I strongly believe that reading is one of the greatest habits we can have because, as all of us already know too well, we can learn, have so many valuable experiences indirectly which are not likely to happen in our real life, and develop our intellect while still having a lot of fun. So, in our school, we teachers are encouraging students to read a book for 10 minutes every morning before the first class starts and trying to make it an important part of students' daily routine. However, it seems like that these days many youngsters (and not few older people) are more interested in computer games or movies than books, which are more eye catching and fascinating visual-wise. So, sometimes it is very hard to make students interested in reading and get them to read only a few pages a day.

Therefore, it must be a clever idea to try to appeal to customers by developing a new way of reading as introduced in the report, which combines reading, computer games and some other latest technology like 'Google maps.' The new kind of reading looks more fun and exciting than the traditional one, and will be able to make curious readers visit the company's website for at least 6 weeks to read the whole story written by 6 different authors.

And it is another clever idea that the company provides various websites and online services for readers considering their age and different book tastes. Readers can share their opinions about books with others and get a lot of information about newly published books on those websites, which will eventually lead to the increase of the company's book sales and the total revenues.

My prediction is that the new kind of reading Penguin Books has developed will be definitely successful in attracting the public's attention and getting many people to visit their homepage. Other publishing houses inspired by Penguin Books will also try to offer useful online services and come up with brilliant ideas that potential readers might be interested in, so as to compete and boost their sales.

And, as the Internet has a great influence on every part of our lives, it will also play an more important role in the publishing industry - online book sales will be increased and e-books will get more popularity. However, still many readers want to stick to traditional ways of reading, so I quite doubt that e-books will ever replace books in print. Smile

Last edited by billy on Fri Apr 04 2008, 04:19; edited 3 times in total
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taiwan's new President

Post  Yoobin Cha on Thu Apr 03 2008, 11:10

Opinion:

I am of the opinion that the incumbent president, Chen Shui-bain, is widely seen as pushing for Taiwan independence, which has angered China and has led to increased cross-Straits tension. Beijing considers the island part of the Chinese nation and has vewed to use force.
However the Twiwan President Ma based his campaign on promises to reverse President Chen's pro-independence direction and leverage China's econmic boom. I think that Taiwan is hard to independent from Beijing although they can be re-energize Taiwan's ailing high-tech economy.

Prediction:

I heard that the four best-performing Asian markets have been Taiwan, Pakistan, Thailand and Sri Lanka. The new president of Taiwan is expected to end the previous administration's frosty stance toward China, allowing the Taiwanese economy to benefit from the growth and dynamism of the mainland. Taiwan will be
globally large Asian market to make the other Asian miracle-in the-making.
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The digital march of Penguin Books

Post  Boyun Park on Thu Apr 03 2008, 11:21

Very Happy Opinion : I'm of the opinion that this new ambitious digital writing project will be a big hit and help many readers keep interests in reading books. People these days use internet a lot and are accustomed to high technology gadgets. It will also be convenient for readers to be able to download first chapters of every books in advance like we flip books and take a look at paper books in stores. Similar to games and having fun finding out what happens in next chapters in following weeks, I think they will especially attract young readers.

Very Happy Prediction : Seeing Penguin Books make a success and fortune by this project in near future, other book publishers will follow this digital march as well. They will compete more and more with higher technology and better ways to attract and engage readers. Penguin Books might ask readers about their opinions on stories and let them edit or finish books. Readers online could share ideas and there will be many many Twisty-turny stories here and there!!! However, some people might miss the past when they used to give paper books as presents or dogear the page in childhood. Maybe someday in future, paper books could be hard to find! They could become antiques!!
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taiwan's new President

Post  Mijin Son on Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:34

[quote=\"Oksun\"] Exclamation Opinion:

Taiwan\'s presidential candidate Ma Ying-jeou won the presidential election, getting the congratulations of U.S. President George W. Bush . Bush reportedly regards Ma\'s win as a fresh opportunity for both sides ,China and Taiwan, to resolve their differences. Taiwan\'s president-elect Ma promised to work for a century of peace and prosperity. He also promised to improve relations with China, which still claims sovereignty over Taiwan. I\'m of the opinion that the sovereignty issue seems to be the most touchy issue across Taiwan. There have been deep-rooted hostilities since Taiwan split from the mainland, so Ma could be a peace-maker in this situation.

[/quote]

Deep-rooted hostilities between China and Taiwan might not be removed easily. As Oksun wrote before this is really important point for China and Taiwan to keep political stability. Political and economical situation of Our nation is easily affected by the condition of surrounding countries. Therefore we have to do our best to help this situation get better. What we want is world peace~~!

Last edited by Mijin Son on Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:58; edited 1 time in total
Mijin Son
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taiwan's New President

Post  kiera on Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:39

Very Happy I think that the relationship between Taiwan and China is quite similar to that of two Koreas. Newly elected President Ma also confirms that Taiwan is an independent nation. At the same time, he said that he will try to establish new political and industrial ties with mainland China unless it threatens Taiwan's security. I'm not sure which is better for the people of Taiwan, paralleling as two independent countries or reuniting them by every means. However, I think it's more reasonable for these two countries to respect each other's independence and try their best to maintain peace.

Smile My prediction is that there's always a chance of serious conflict between Taiwan and mainland China if China doesn't give up its intent to unify two nations. As you can see in the case of Tibet, mutual compromise is critical in maintaining the peace and security of two nations. In addition, it's more beneficial for the neighboring countries such as Korea and Japan.

Last edited by kiera on Tue Apr 08 2008, 13:08; edited 1 time in total
kiera
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's great that you shared both good and bad sides.

Post  Boyun Park on Thu Apr 03 2008, 12:57

Joo Un-jin wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that the big and expensive Easter eggs have both sides -good and bad. They are good because they are means of celebrating Easter. They can also boost the festivity. They catch the eyes of people and let them think about Easter once more.

But there are also problems about them. First I think sometimes they cannot be real and true presents. Being expensive is not bad all the time. But some people put more importance on money than love and friendship in the presents. Moreover they can make people think more expensive and bigger one is better. We would find that people pursue money instead of thinking of the meaning of Eater. Second the poor can feel deprived in compare with the rich. All the people must share the same amount of happiness and fun on the day like Easter. But I think rich people are easier to be more satisfied and happier with their ability to buy that kind of expensive present. Poor people can blame themselves on their lack of money.

Prediction:

I predict that there are few people who spend money in the expensive eggs just because their prices are too high. People can just see them and envy the rich who afford to buy them. Even rich people might be reluctant to buy it. A Chocolate egg is not eternal. Instead they can buy jewelry and clothes.

But chefs will keep making it. They can make a lot of money if it is sold. And they want to feel achieved after several hours' hardworking and enjoy their products get attention from people.

At first, it was great to look at marvelous egg decorated. It must have been a hard work for the chef and should be proud of making it. It sure can attract peoples' attention and they probably enjoyed looking at it. On the other end, it must be too expensive for most people to even think about buying it. It's probably possible for only couple rich people to actually consider purchasing it. It made me think about how these days people happen to put more emphasis on the price and size of presents. I'm sorry that some children seem to forget the preciousness of made gifts from their parents or friends. It could also be related to the true meaning of the Easter day. Smile
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taiwan's new president

Post  Mijin Son on Thu Apr 03 2008, 13:21

The new Taiwan's president-elect is convinced to improve relationship with mainland Chiana, but it doesn't look easy. Frst of all, China thinks that it has control over Taiwan but Taiwan thinks it is a independent nation. Political tension between the two countries starts from such different points of view. But it will not change soon because their confliction has been more than 50 years. President Ma will do his best to make better relationship with mailland but it will not easy task for him.

In my prediction, our nation will be confused when it comes to deplomatic policies related with China and Taiwan. We cannot be on one's side because it is related with our nation's political and economical interests. Therefore, our politians should do their best to keep our nation's neutrality and to protect our interests.
Mijin Son
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Eggstravagant Easter Eggs

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Thu Apr 03 2008, 14:07

Opinion & Prediction

Easter is a holiday (holy day). including religious meaning.... From the view of Christian Church, if this extravagant sale becomes a social custom, they will like it? I don't think so. This news is very interesting.... As we see it on the title, reporter scorns the commercial event. We'd better share a very small egg on Easter day because it has a real important message to the public.... Ooops. Time's upp....
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Taiwan's new president

Post  kim young-ah on Thu Apr 03 2008, 20:14

To begin with, I'm very sorry for posting my reply too late.

I'm of the opinion that nowadays China has been focused on. Many countries near China have been influenced on economically and politically. But it seems that China doesn't pay attention.
The new president Ma is expecting the better ties to the mainland China in spite of Taiwan's security risk. And the citizens are expecting some more changes calmly.

My prediction is that China has a big ambition for the coming future. And China is dreaming another big civilization like "Hwang Ha" in B.C. 4000 ~ 3000 century. The nation has planned "the Northeast progress : program on Northeast Asia" since a few years ago. It's also likely that Taiwan will be a victim to China and China will make the countries near it including Korea belong to China like the ancient China. So I'm afraid the future on China.
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #3 (discuss in class March 27)

Post  Liz on Sat Apr 05 2008, 04:24

Lee yujin wrote:Opinion
As time has changed dramatically, the way we live has also deeply been influenced by the change in this society. Especially the advent of Internet and high-technolohgy has changed every single aspects of our lives. Reading cannot be an exception.
I'm of the opinion that Penguin Book's innovative way to tell a story using the internet will attract many young readers who are familiar with computers and high-tech gadgets. In addition, thier story is not predetermined, so readers can make up the story with their own choices, which will achieve the ulimate goal of writer -reader interaction in the text.

Prediction
Using this methodology, reading education will change. It doesn't have to be boring and hard anymore. Children will enjoy reading like on-line games and thier reading expericences will automatically record in the computer files which are easily assessed and reported. However, paper back versions connat be neglected. Teachers and parents should hit the balance between this on-line and paperback version for the best educational benefits.

I totally agree that the advent of Internet changed our life. Look at us, we are writing and reading through Internet! Our students are kind of addicted to computer. Nowadays, few students go to the playground and hang out with their friends. Rather they go to PC room together and play brand new on-line game. As we see, they are living quite differently comparing us. So we have to come up with new way to get them enjoy reading.
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz on Sat Apr 05 2008, 04:43

Boyun Park wrote: Very Happy Opinion : I'm of the opinion that this new ambitious digital writing project will be a big hit and help many readers keep interests in reading books. People these days use internet a lot and are accustomed to high technology gadgets. It will also be convenient for readers to be able to download first chapters of every books in advance like we flip books and take a look at paper books in stores. Similar to games and having fun finding out what happens in next chapters in following weeks, I think they will especially attract young readers.

Very Happy Prediction : Seeing Penguin Books make a success and fortune by this project in near future, other book publishers will follow this digital march as well. They will compete more and more with higher technology and better ways to attract and engage readers. Penguin Books might ask readers about their opinions on stories and let them edit or finish books. Readers online could share ideas and there will be many many Twisty-turny stories here and there!!! However, some people might miss the past when they used to give paper books as presents or dogear the page in childhood. Maybe someday in future, paper books could be hard to find! They could become antiques!!

Like you said, if the digital march of Penguin Books get successful, many other book company will follow suit. Someday soon, we may use something like this in Korean version. However, I don't think that paper book will be antique. Although we use e-mail almost everyday, letters are not disappeared. Now they have different functions. Like this, paper books will have different functions and still be used.
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What a novel idea!

Post  inmyheart479 on Sat Apr 05 2008, 21:24

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(opinion)

As not a christian, I don't have much knowledge about this ritual relating to Easter eggs. Despite unfamiliar customs to me, even most koreans, it is true that events in a church are pleasing enough to attract people's interest. In my case, I had a couple of experiences in paying a visit to a church by following my friends. At that time, my intention was not for the celebration of Christ, but out of curiosity. On Easter, a church provides a variety of foods for anyone who comes to a church. I was given several eggs at a church, not knowing the special meaning of them. As I grow up, I realized that the each meaning of eggs and Christ' birth was involved in the same principle; Eggs represent the birth of new creatures and the process of incubation is alike to the rebirth of Christ. I'm of the opinion that special eggs which are decorated with a great deal of chocolate are elaborately made to inform many people of the celebration of Christ's rebirth as eggs get much popularity. In other words, they emphasize the holy meaning of Jesus' rebirth, as newly born creature tries to get out of the hard shell which seems to be a hardship to a chick.

At the beginning, simple eggs developed to the various types, which consisted of wood, silver, gold, or jewel. After many changes to eggs, chocolate eggs are finally released to the public. However, there may be some people who are opposed to the use of chocolate eggs because of its prevailing commercial purpose. A wide range of chocolate eggs is preferred by big business owners because their peculiar characteristics attract many possible customs, which is followed by a big profit. I also think that these meaningful eggs may be contributed to the poor who are neglected as outsiders on our society. By doing so, a few bad reputations caused by extravagancy(too much high price) could be weakened.

(prediction)

These days, many people would like to stick out and get much attention from others. I think that making various types of Easter eggs is one of good examples in this respect. Several materials are already used in making eggs: wood, precious metals, and jewels. My prediction is that producing an empty egg would be a good idea, which is a effective way to secretly keep one's wishes to the God. It's also likely that small private things such as rings or pictures are fit in it. In my case, if I had a chance to put my own paper in an empty egg, I would write down my hope. My words in the paper would say that I want to meet him again I did fall in love with, whatever we hurt each other.

Hi Jin-Young.
Your prediction on this video is very interesting. I agree with your thought of filling hollow eggs with something special. It's a very good idea to make our own Easter egg with wishes in it. May your wishes come true. Very Happy
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oksun on Sun Apr 06 2008, 17:51

Mi Jin Jeong wrote:A 30-kilogramme egg!
I've never seen and heard of that huge size of chocolate egg before. In my church, we usually share colored and decorated REAL egg with people as a present at Easter.
The video says that the giant egg would be luxury present for family at Easter. But what they can do with that egg? It might be a tough work to eat it all. I am of the opinion that little egg is enough to celebrate to Easter and great gift to their family.
I think that too many things are turning to a commercial success theses days. Although the huge cholate egg-maker intended to praise the Easter as making egg bigger and bigger, that is considered asthe luxury items for a present and it costs a lot!

My prediction is the egg can be a popular attraction item for short time due to its specialness ans uniqueness. Also, the biggest egg-making contest might be held every Easter to attract customers attention and money. But its popularity won't last so long because not everyone is willing to pay their big money just for an egg.

You've got the point ! I totally agree your on your idea. It's too much to celebrate Easter.
It could draw people's attention but its novelty soon will wear off !!

Last edited by Oksun on Sat Apr 12 2008, 16:45; edited 1 time in total
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Is this your photo??

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun Apr 06 2008, 21:06

jangdj wrote:Opinion: As another madarin speaking country sees its new leader, people's attention has been focused on Ma's plan on relationship with its counterpart. Historically, after World War , as China gained membership of nuclear club or a seat in the Councile of Security in U.N. China did not recognize Tiawan as a legitmate government and consistently pursued'One China". It is very similar with South Korea's relationship to North Korea. The South's constitution states that territory of Republic of Korea contains korean peninsula and island belong to it which means we see North Korea as a group,illegally occupying north part of our land. However:at the level of reality, we bears diffent postion. The same hads been going with these two country. I am the opninon of that Ma is going to put poltical issue aside and trying to make the best use of capital and labor from the main land to boost economy. Sensitve political issues between two countries would be like" Don't ask Don'tell " for a while. Both sides would be very sestive to mention polyical issue that probaly put negative effect on their close economic ties.

Prediction: Security situation in this area will face another phase. As new leader of island indicated in his public pledge ; he embraced the idae " progressive improvement"with main land rather than ultimate seperation during the campaign. And it worked.
ultimate seperation.

Haha~ I found your photo is interesting~ Anyway ~ As I read your opinion, I have noticednew aspects through the video. I haven't think the relationship between Taiwan and China is similar with Korea. It reminds me another topic ^^/ And when I read your prediction, I have a question. If there is Taiwan's ultimate seperation from China, how about Tibet or Hong-Kong? I know these countries do not have much power to be independent, but China is consisted with various tribes. It could be problematic if there is a seperation from Chinese government.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Informative opinion~

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun Apr 06 2008, 21:17

Kim Eun-jung wrote:Opinion:

I'm of the opinion that relationship between countries is more and more being determined by economic sense. Taiwan has maintained a cold relationship with China because of ideological difference. The two countries went through an ideological conflict and many people were sacrificed sticking to their belief. As priority moved from ideology to economy, China began to accept capitalism partially and grew fast economically. China became economic blue ocean in the world trade market, and many countries wanted to maintain a good relationship with China. The world can't deny the power of China any longer. Recently some countries criticized China because of the genocide in Tibet, and said they would boycott the Olympic games. But others including several developed countries maintained neutral attitude because China was rising big buyer of their products. There's no eternal friend or eternal enemy in relationship between countries. They only move for economic benefits.

Prediction:

China is growing faster and it is racing to be a world economic power. More and more countries are turning their eyes to Chinese market to boost their economy, and it's an unavoidable stream of the times. It will take some time to build stable friendship between Taiwan and China, but they will achieve it for economic benefits.

Whenever I read others' opinion and prediction, I am surprised there are lots of information on the opinions and I also appreciated others' prediction^^
I agree with your opinion especially the expression that "There is no eternal friend or eternal enemy in relationship between countries. They only move for economic benefits" This is very impressive to me. It is right there is no eternal relationships between countries. Of course, nations should depend their conventions or relations with other countries on economical benefits. It is quite sad to say that. Because I think Korea is not that strong country as other nations such as Japan. So we could be the victim of business relations between countries. To be strong in economic area, we need to work hard competing with world wide people. It seems to sound great but I feel somewhat uncomfortable, because it sounds to me we should compete for triumph against world.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 07 2008, 10:26

jihyun wrote:First of all, I would say, after browsing the Penguin homepage, this is splendid technology .
By using this new technology, Penguin Books can make their publishing company more famous and attract many people to visit their website, I am sure.

On their site, http://www.penguin.co.uk/ , there are many linkages such as We Tell Stories http://www.wetellstories.co.uk/, Facebook , Twitter and Tasters. Because of my insufficient ability of English, I can't totally understand all of the programs and the way to handle this program but I could know that this is very interesting and exciting offering of Penguin Books.

People who were annoyed by going to the book store will enjoy this way of reading and People who would like to go to the book store will also like this way of reading and book shopping. I'm of the opinion that this is good way of not only saving time for going to the store and finding out the right book but also having easy access to the book.

In terms of We Tell Stories, as Penguin Books director predicted, people who were addicted to this programs will visit this site week after week and want to know the next story(seventh story) anxioiusly. Moreover, people who visit their site have more chances to buy thier products and use their programs whatever they are.
As they say, my prediction is that both adult and young pepole will like this new technology.

As for Facebook, I think it's very good way to catch popurity. Sometimes even when there are books on website, I prefer to go to the off-line book store to see the contents and some short story line such as how the story started and who is the main character, etc. People like me will like this kind of service of Penguin Books.

The only thing that I would suggest is the idea that if they made it real "We tell the stories", it might have been more genuine and interesting to people who have various tastes. When I read some part of the story, there was a map and an icon which moves, then I thought what if someone really read the story for me?! Wink It will be much more funny and realistic. Of course there should be options whether to use the voice telling or not. drunken
Anyway, I think that more and more book stores will use this way of using the cutting-edge technology.

I agree that this Penguin book saves time and efforts. I'm the one who does not like to go to bookstores. It takes at least an hour to choose the book to read or study. After an hour, my legs and shoulders seriously hurt. With Penguin book, however, I don't have to suffer from pain at bookstores. I can download and read the first chapters of Penguin books in my cozy and comfortable home and order through the Internet. I think this is wonderful.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mi Jin Jeong on Mon Apr 07 2008, 10:29

Kim Hyunjin wrote:I watched this news one day morning during breakfast. That time I became cynical, so I thought there was a person who played with food. After that, I considered that if I am a christian, did I still think so? Maybe, I might not. Easter is one of memorial and holy days to christians as well as Christmas. So, it might be natural tfor them o do that. Also the egg was suprising and the color was beautiful,too. But l don't wish to eat that because it looks like very sweet.
My prediction is that some collector may buy those Easter eggs and some parents do those to give their kids for Easter presents. Anyway, it is going to become more popular than now, so the eggs will be more various in aspects of colors, sizes, and other decorations.

I agree with your prediction. ^^ These days, it's increasing people who collect the unique and different things for their hobby or something like that. Now I read your opinion I wish to buy that huge and luxury chocolate for my room decoration. HOHO
Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 07 2008, 11:22

Boyun Park wrote: Very Happy Opinion : I'm of the opinion that this new ambitious digital writing project will be a big hit and help many readers keep interests in reading books. People these days use internet a lot and are accustomed to high technology gadgets. It will also be convenient for readers to be able to download first chapters of every books in advance like we flip books and take a look at paper books in stores. Similar to games and having fun finding out what happens in next chapters in following weeks, I think they will especially attract young readers.

As you said, paper book markets are shrinking gradually, which reminds me of disappearing paper letters. I almost always e-mail rather than write paper mails. Needless to say, e-mail is more convenient and faster. However, handwritten letters from friends or family make me happier than typed e-mails. I still prefer to use e-mails but I guess I miss paper letters.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Mon Apr 07 2008, 12:52

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that the chef must be genius. How could she think of making a giant dazzling egg! It catches everyone's eye who passes by and eventually promotes the sale. Although it takes a lot of time and effort to make that, she doesn't need to spend a penny to advertise her product. Even Reuters are reporting this to the people all over the world!

My prediction is that every year the more luxurious easter eggs will be presented. It's almost the same way as Victoria Secret advertises their lingerie. Every year, it presents jeweled lingerie. Actually, no one would wear it because it's too expensive and uncomfortable. However, it does help promote the sale because after they see the luxurious lingerie, their standard of reasonable price went up. Likewise, after people see giant dazzling egg, they may think that it's O.K. to spend more money on buying easter eggs that they thought before.

As you said, people really spend big money buying specially designed and unique items. Items that are characterized by the words like 'handicraft' or 'limited edition' sells well. Next year, it may be that the luxurious easter eggs will be imported into Korea, and displayed in department stores.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 07 2008, 17:33

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(opinion)

As not a christian, I don't have much knowledge about this ritual relating to Easter eggs. Despite unfamiliar customs to me, even most koreans, it is true that events in a church are pleasing enough to attract people's interest. In my case, I had a couple of experiences in paying a visit to a church by following my friends. At that time, my intention was not for the celebration of Christ, but out of curiosity. On Easter, a church provides a variety of foods for anyone who comes to a church. I was given several eggs at a church, not knowing the special meaning of them. As I grow up, I realized that the each meaning of eggs and Christ' birth was involved in the same principle; Eggs represent the birth of new creatures and the process of incubation is alike to the rebirth of Christ. I'm of the opinion that special eggs which are decorated with a great deal of chocolate are elaborately made to inform many people of the celebration of Christ's rebirth as eggs get much popularity. In other words, they emphasize the holy meaning of Jesus' rebirth, as newly born creature tries to get out of the hard shell which seems to be a hardship to a chick.

At the beginning, simple eggs developed to the various types, which consisted of wood, silver, gold, or jewel. After many changes to eggs, chocolate eggs are finally released to the public. However, there may be some people who are opposed to the use of chocolate eggs because of its prevailing commercial purpose. A wide range of chocolate eggs is preferred by big business owners because their peculiar characteristics attract many possible customs, which is followed by a big profit. I also think that these meaningful eggs may be contributed to the poor who are neglected as outsiders on our society. By doing so, a few bad reputations caused by extravagancy(too much high price) could be weakened.

(prediction)

These days, many people would like to stick out and get much attention from others. I think that making various types of Easter eggs is one of good examples in this respect. Several materials are already used in making eggs: wood, precious metals, and jewels. My prediction is that producing an empty egg would be a good idea, which is a effective way to secretly keep one's wishes to the God. It's also likely that small private things such as rings or pictures are fit in it. In my case, if I had a chance to put my own paper in an empty egg, I would write down my hope. My words in the paper would say that I want to meet him again I did fall in love with, whatever we hurt each other.

I agree that this huge chocolate egg informs people a little about Easter. Like you, I'm not a Christian. Moreover, I've never been to church. Although I've heard about Easter and Easter's egg, I didn't know that people celebrate Easter with chocolate eggs. I also became to know that Easter is a big holiday in England and realized how much it means to English people. As you said, this giant Easter egg enabled more people, including me, to know about Easter and its meaning.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Tue Apr 08 2008, 05:53

jihyun wrote:First of all, I would say, after browsing the Penguin homepage, this is splendid technology .
By using this new technology, Penguin Books can make their publishing company more famous and attract many people to visit their website, I am sure.

On their site, http://www.penguin.co.uk/ , there are many linkages such as We Tell Stories http://www.wetellstories.co.uk/, Facebook , Twitter and Tasters. Because of my insufficient ability of English, I can't totally understand all of the programs and the way to handle this program but I could know that this is very interesting and exciting offering of Penguin Books.

People who were annoyed by going to the book store will enjoy this way of reading and People who would like to go to the book store will also like this way of reading and book shopping. I'm of the opinion that this is good way of not only saving time for going to the store and finding out the right book but also having easy access to the book.

In terms of We Tell Stories, as Penguin Books director predicted, people who were addicted to this programs will visit this site week after week and want to know the next story(seventh story) anxioiusly. Moreover, people who visit their site have more chances to buy thier products and use their programs whatever they are.
As they say, my prediction is that both adult and young pepole will like this new technology.

As for Facebook, I think it's very good way to catch popurity. Sometimes even when there are books on website, I prefer to go to the off-line book store to see the contents and some short story line such as how the story started and who is the main character, etc. People like me will like this kind of service of Penguin Books.

The only thing that I would suggest is the idea that if they made it real "We tell the stories", it might have been more genuine and interesting to people who have various tastes. When I read some part of the story, there was a map and an icon which moves, then I thought what if someone really read the story for me?! Wink It will be much more funny and realistic. Of course there should be options whether to use the voice telling or not. drunken
Anyway, I think that more and more book stores will use this way of using the cutting-edge technology.

I've just visited Penguin web site through the address you hyperlinked. It has many helpful pages and hyperlinks. The site of 'We tell stories' is really new and creative.

But I myself don't like the idea of digital books basically. It is possible we read books on the Internet or PDA-like device. But it's not real books and reading digital books causes eyestrain. In more and more digitalizing age, I still prefer paper books and traditional way of reading.

My favorite service in digitalized book industry is the service that readers can download first few pages and read. We already use this service online bookstores. It makes up for the weak points of buying books online.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next