Journal 5

Go down

Journal 5

Post  Youn Sujin on Mon Jun 09 2008, 17:33

These days, it’s hard to concentrate on my own study because of a special plan, which makes my heart flutter with hope and anxiety. The plan is about studying abroad as an exchange student. I’m going to Pennsylvania, U.S. this August, and stay there for two semesters to gain deeper academic knowledge and experience American culture. I expect this will be a great chance for me to upgrade myself with my profession, in particular.

Above all, I will be able to learn how English is studied in America. There are a lot of ways to learn English. In Korea, English is mostly taught by grammar. The problem with this method is that students in Korea are good at English grammar but most of them can not communicate in English. Unfortunately, 12 years of English education have only taught students to know that be verb + -ing is present continuous, but they can not adopt that to real conversation. Because English is native language to America, American teachers tend to focus on other aspects of English besides grammar. I want to learn different teaching methods and apply them in Korean classes.

Secondly, I will have wider range of understanding. This is the key factor to have flexible and dynamic way of thinking. Studying in Pennsylvania will give me chances to communicate with other international students. Also it will provide me with various experiences and understanding of American culture. Good teacher should understand all types of students. In today’s Korean society, many young children go abroad at early ages to learn foreign languages. As a result, students who have been abroad are increasing in high schools and middle schools. The problems of these students are that they can not combine the experience from America properly into Korean education system. Thus, English teachers in Korea have been given another role: to help the students to adjust into their new Korean schools. Therefore, I will be able to use the fruit of hard work in Pennsylvania to understand the students and encourage them to adapt thoroughly into Korean school.

As I'm a student majoring in English education, studying in the U.S. is a great opportunity for me. All of the times I will be going through will finally benefit my future profession. As well, I will be a more open minded person and a competitive teacher. I believe that this exchange student program will be a turning point in my life.
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good for You!!

Post  Jung namsook on Mon Jun 09 2008, 21:20

Wow! Exchange student will be a wonderful turning point of your life. Actually I've got happy news from Young-jae sharing Phonology class with me. I think you deserve to fly away to America because you're fully ready to go abroad anywhere with a good English proficiency that you will be able to learn more than others. I really envy you. I hope you always stay in healthy and keep in touch with me!
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I wish it will be a great chance.

Post  Seyoung Yoon on Mon Jun 09 2008, 21:36

The aime for studying abroad is not only for studying English but building experience, I guess. For a year is not a long nor a shor time. All of your achievements hugely depend on your efforts. Of course you will do well, U.S. won't be as comportable as Korea. It's the opposite side from Korea, isn't it? The heath is the most important thing in my thought. I hope that it will be a wonderful experience as a student and a prospective teacher.
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Journal 5

Post  Sera Jung on Thu Jun 12 2008, 13:30

Nice chance , isn't it? 2 semesters are not short time to stay in U.S . I think. You illustrated how this valuable chance will affect you as a student preparing to be an English teacher in the future. It will benefit not only your academic aspects and cultural awareness but also personal development .
2 semesters without you might be sad for us . Sad Anyway good luck to you and keep getting in touch with us
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ko, Min-Jung on Sat Jun 14 2008, 10:31

I envy you! It would be a great great experience in you life and you'll never forget every moment in the US! So, I hope you cherish every second there and do whatever you want, study hard, play hard...! I've never studied in the US, so I'm very curious what it would be like to study there. Have a wonderful time there!
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young on Sat Jun 14 2008, 13:06

Exchange student will give lots of valuable experience to you. Some people say that with only studying in Korea, we can have fluent English. However, I think it is essencial to study abroad. I guess it is not easy for you to decide to go abroad putting a year off being a public English teacher.

Congratulations!!!
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down