Jounal Entry 5

Go down

Jounal Entry 5

Post  Ko, Min-Jung on Mon Jun 09 2008, 10:46

Why am I crazy about American dramas?

My first encounter with American dramas I can remember was sometime in the middle of 1980s when MacGyver was aired with huge popularity in Korea. Everybody loved the blond guy because the story was totally new to us. The way MacGyver figures out getting out of trouble amazed TV viewers everytime. It has produced new metaphors in Korean; We call someone who is good at DIY- things MacGyver, and the red swiss knife which he often used for all purpose is called a MacGyver knife in Korea.

After that I sometimes watched American dramas such as ER and X-files, which were also very famous in Korean and had a lot of fans, I would watch them on and off when I had a free time. In fact, I became a huge fan of American dramas out of boredom. Before 2001 when I went to the US, I was not interested in them, because I was just too busy to watch them leisurely due to work and study. Things have completely changed after I began to live in Atlanta. My husband went to work early in the morning, and came back home after 8. At that time we didn't have a baby, and had only one car, so I had to spend whole day hanging around by myself. A laptop computer and a TV were the only my friends.

So, I happened to watch Friends, and Sex and the City, which instantly became my favorites. I'm not exaggerating if I tell you that I learned everything about America through these dramas for the 1st year in Atlanta. My favorite dramas moved to Practice, Ally Mcbeal, Lost, Six Feet Under and many more. Then, why do not only I but also many Koreans fall in love with American dramas?

First, the story. In Korea, one writer writes the whole story. On the contrary, in many occasions more than 100 writers work on the script altogether, and they have years of planning on the plot. It leads to the dynamic and exciting storylines. The next scene is often completely unexpected, therefore, viewers should spend a whole week fidgeting about next episode.

Second, the spectacular scales of background. The American broadcasting companies have enormous capitals that cannot be compared with one in Korea. Their each one of the episodes is like a piece of hollywood film. In this kind of industry money talks all. Its eye-popping scenes cannot help attracting viewers.

The fever for american drama in Korea is not a temporary trend. It has become a part of cultural phenomenon. There are also problems; Most fans enjoy it through illegal file-downloading programs. In spite of the fact, the popularity is growing more and more. Although some Korean dramas had a huge success in Japan and other Southeast Asia, but it's limited to only a few and the popularity has faded away very fast. For now, it is extremely hard for Korean producers to catch up with American dramas, but if we don't try to learn from them, Korean drama could extinct someday.
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jounal Entry 5

Post  Younghee choi on Mon Jun 09 2008, 11:27

A few days ago, I started to watch Lost, an American drama, out of curiosity and from a thought that I wanted to make best use of my time while eating lunch or dinner.
As I went on, I couldnt stop watching it. I watched it for two and a half hours in a row. The drama attracted me with something addictive. As you mentioned, it was like I was watching a movie except several pauses between the series. It was hard to get out of the drama. However, I think if students want to improve their listening ability, it is all right to watch American dramas with a sense of controlling their time.
Younghee choi
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyun a Ji on Mon Jun 09 2008, 15:18

I didn't know that many author write drama in America. In Korea, one famous author usually whole drama. So their story has a kind of limitation. I really like American drama. Their story is so fantastic, unthinkable. Thanks to youe essay, if I watch American drama again, I will think why we like American drama.
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ju-mi,Im on Mon Jun 09 2008, 20:15

A few days ago, I watched the movie “Sex and the city”.
Actually I didn’t watch the dramas.
After seeing the movie, I decided to watch its drama version too.
Among the young, American drama is very popular nowadays not only for fun but for studying English.
When I watch them, I’ll remind the reasons as what you said.
Ju-mi,Im
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Actually..

Post  HyejinJeon on Mon Jun 09 2008, 23:22

I didn't understand 'Friends' because their humor was not fit. This experience made me think American drama was not fun. However, when I watched C.S.I, I really liked it, and searched and watched it. I think reality and story are interesting. Each episode is interesting. I think several Korean dramas are developed like CSI. Which Korean drama is interesting for you? I wonder. Laughing
HyejinJeon
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jung namsook on Wed Jun 11 2008, 06:32

Hi Minjung.

I'm also the fan of foreign dramas and many of replies might reflect a big hit of American dramma all over the country. Considering the popularity of the drama, it's true that Korean drama has been falling in popularity compared to quite a splash Korean dramas in the previous years. Besides, Janpanese shows are gaining in popular over the recent years. There must be subtle reasons to attract more and more Korean viewers. The officials with moives and films would eat their hearts to compete ours with foreingn drama, which might result in the way of improvement of the local drama.
Jung namsook
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji hye Lim on Wed Jun 11 2008, 07:15

I also like American drama. Especially, I'm a huge pan of "Sex and the City". I saw each series at least 3 times. Watching that drama, I really want to visit Newyork. In that drama, Newyork is shown very attractively. Recently, I saw movie "Sex and the City". It's also great. But I think that TV series is better than movie.
Ji hye Lim
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

As for me..

Post  Seyoung Yoon on Mon Jun 16 2008, 00:17

Actually, I saw 7 or 8 episodes of Law and Order today. For a while I lived forgetting about American dramas thesedays after finishing final-term, I had lots of time so today, I passed the whole day just seeing dramas through computer. American dramas' contents are various and the overall flow of story is so fast that audience cannot but sticked to the drama until it is over. In addition it is wonderful material to learn real native English! Actually I learned a lot through American drama dialect or intonation in English.
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down