Journal 2 - Studying abroad

Go down

Journal 2 - Studying abroad

Post  Seyoung Yoon on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:26

The fever of English education in Korea is hotter than any other country in the world. Children go to the countries where use English as official language or take tongue surgery to pronounce perfect English pronunciation-it revealed that the surgery doesn't work. From decades ago, more and more number of elementary students or children younger then them are trying to study abroad. However is it really necessary to go foreign country in their early age to learn English? Is it worth throwing them away that much?

Actually in several books teaching English education principles, it is helpful to learn English in early age less than 11 years old. If a child within this age learns English, he could be native-like speaker on the basis of continuing his study. Still, however it is efficient, don't you think is it harsh for children to force them to be accustomed to totally different culture and confused between two cultures? I think learning English is not more important than living a stable life. Students who went abroad to learn English can be in panic easily because of the change of environment. Thus they can't achieve their goal, learning English, and become a passive person. Of course opposite cases exist, it is still a big burden for young students to adjust to another custom and culture.

In addition, I think it is not desperately necessary investing tremendous money only to learn English. Of course the family which is able to afford the expenses sufficiently is okay. Whatever they do, it's their decision within their economic condition. However the case that dad earns money in Korea and rest of the family-mom and children-went away to learn English is different. We call this kind of dads as wild goose fathers(Gireogi dads). It is crazy thing that a family live separately! The fathers work hard to meet the budget sending to their wife and children. It seems that because of English, the whold family living like a divorced family. In this family, children would spend difficult time to establish good characteristics and easily become unstable.

Needless to say, English is one of the key abilities to succeed or get a job in one's life. However, because of that, we must not lose other precious things in life. Moreover just studying abroad is not everything to serve the ability to students. Adequate efforts are needed to reach the level one desired. Frankly speaking, I think we can build decent English ability even here as well. If we won't live in another country, English ability learned in Korea is enough to handle English-related works. After all, everything is up to one's attitude and efforts regardless of surroundings.
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Yes, you're right.

Post  Ji hye Lim on Fri Jun 06 2008, 19:14

I totally agree with your opinion. In some ways, extreme emphasis on need of Studying English is disease syndrom in Korea . If we live in Korea, there are not many jobs which require to speak Englihs fluently.
Ji hye Lim
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Journal 2 - Studying abroad

Post  Sera Jung on Fri Jun 13 2008, 21:30

Seyoung ~ I also worte my journal about studying abroad. Though I wrote the benefits of study abroad , there are a lot what I think in a same way with you. There is no doubt that staying in a foreign country might be helpful to improve foreign language ability . However we do not need to put all our efforts for it giving up other precious things. Also I have seen many people who reached high level of English without experiences from study abroad.All things depend on learners' attitude and mind.
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ko, Min-Jung on Sat Jun 14 2008, 10:12

I agree with you in some degrees. However, I'd like to suggest you study abroad if it's possible. What you can earn from international living is not only language ability. The every new encounter in a foreign contry is tremedously valuable experieces in you whole life. Really~
Ko, Min-Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down