This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Antarctica glacier melting faster

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Wed Mar 26 2008, 23:03

pig pig Iím of the opinion that this kind of news is not effective at all to warn people of the severe destruction of the nature. Because it is not the first time to hear that kind of news, I think people are accustomed to hearing the serious situation that we now face. Therefore, I believe it would be better to show every possible result in detail if this situation goes on. In order to protect the crying mother earth, we must hurry to attract the peopleís attention and appeal to them in a powerful way. So, if people get to know the direct and specific results of the melting glacier, say, we would have Christmas eve in Summer from 2010, and we are not able to use airconditioner in the house from 2011, they will behave differently.

Unfortunately, however, my prediction is that this miserable phenomenon will go on more rapidly than ever. Weíve already experienced the sweetness that material civilization gives. It is so sweet that it is no easy task to abandon the conveniences right now. Now, the previous underdeveloped countries also begin to enjoy their sweet fruits. I think there are few who dare to say that they would go back to less convenient life. pig pig
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Champagne demand fizzing

Post  jihyun on Thu Mar 27 2008, 05:50

drunken What do you think champagne is? At first, I thought champagne is totally different with wine and is used only as a celebratory drink. But getting more information from the news and internet, I now know that champagne is another special kind of wine and lots of people drink it as a everyday drink. Its precise name is sparkling wine because it has fizzy in there. I don't think you know we can call Champagne only from champagne in France. They say this is restricted by law. Unfortunately many conutries, especially Korea, apply that name to any champange.

According to news reports, the sale of champagne is growing rapidly all aroud the world. I'm of the opinion that korean think champagne represents their high status. As you see, in korea, not phisical laborers drink champagne often. Only one who has leeway to purchase and enjoy it does. Since the consumption of champagne is growing fast, goverment of France thinks they need to expand the production of champagne. So the goverment persuades independant producers to expand their area of the chamapagne grape crops. But producers are reluctant to do it because they think rarity value is important in champagne industry.

I'm agree with thier idea that every area should preserve their special rarity value, not expanding the producing area. The history and grapes type of champagne are important elements in deciding the value of fizz. So we should try to keep the rarity of fizz. It seems likely that more and more people enjoy champagne as everyday drink to show their leeway. queen king I'm of the opinion that as time goes by, people want to have more special and rare kind of fizz to show their wealth and leeway. Result of this, my prediction is that the producers of champagne will try to preserve their reputation, quality and rarity more and more than before.

GREAT~DAY~FOREVER!!!

Last edited by jihyun on Thu Mar 27 2008, 06:00; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : better looking)
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  choi Eun sil on Thu Mar 27 2008, 10:01

I remembered watching the movie "Tomorrow" a few years ago. In that movie, as the glacier is melting, the temperature is decreasing dramatically. Many people in that movie have a lot of troble because of extreme cold. I'm of the opinion that melting glacier can destroy our world like the movie. Therefore we have to find out the cause and take an action to that. However we already know the cause of melting glacier is global warming and the reason of global warming is the pollution. Nowadays ,the pollution is getting worse and worse . To stop the glacier from melting, we must keep the earth from polluting. People all over the world should cooperate to make this problem a success and approach this problem gradually and slowly. In addition we have to make specific law to protect environment. Moreover, we have to make alternative energy to reduce the pollution. If we try to protect environment all over the world , our world will get improved better than now. I believe that the time will come when we live in a clean world. flower
choi Eun sil
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunnypine on Thu Mar 27 2008, 10:17

Yesterday Iíve read an article about melting glacier in the Antarctic. The size of the glacier which has just been fallen was 7 times as big as Manhattan. It was really shocking news to me. You know, these days we are facing much information about dying Earth stuff. But we are not actually taking action so much, and that's why we are facing this kind of shocking and very worried news. I'm really sorry about my Planet Earth. Sad I've seen some movies about a climate disaster, such as 'the day after tomorrow', 'Silent World', 'Twister', and so on. On the movies, usually at first human beings were so weak people to handle nature disasters. But in the movies, they often fix the situation going on and became happy again. However, this is just a movie story. We donít know when we will have those situations and how to fix them. Therefore, we have to seriously do something for our Mother Earth. If it is dying, we are dying together. Shocked

Now, my prediction is that many countries will make some strong bills about protecting Earth. Many NGOs will start more actively their movement too. However I donít think many normal people WILL actually do something to protect Earth. We are just so busy people making money and living lives. Itís so sad, but I think this kind of situation will happen again and again, and then people will start really realizing the real situation going on. I hope not to happen something like movies.

Last edited by sunnypine on Thu Mar 27 2008, 13:25; edited 1 time in total
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Champagne demand fizzing

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu Mar 27 2008, 10:41

I'm of the opinion that it's a good decision to expand the area where Champagne grapes can be grown legally. Actually, in Korea we usually call any kinds of white sparkling and bubbling wines under various names produced throughout the world champagne, which are often drunk to celebrate something. However, true Champagne comes only from the Champagne region in northeast France, which is considered the best. Though it is very expensive because of its prestige and rarity, its popularity and demand is still getting higher and higher as said in the news. If they grow more champagne grapes due to the expansion of the area, it will be definitely helpful in satisfying the increasing demands and, obviously the revenues will be greatly improved.

It seems like there are concerns among some independent producers that the quality and prestige might go down because of the expansion. However, I believe that they will be able to keep the best quality if they continuously make their efforts for quality control and customer satisfaction, like, for example, sticking to their strict standards on the aging of their wines.

My prediction is that, as I have already mentioned, all the revenues will be improved thanks to the expansion. And traditionally wines and champagnes were mostly produced and consumed in the west, but these days there is an increasing popularity of wines and champagnes in the East, so I think Asia will be their one of the biggest markets soon. So maby they will try to invent or develop new tastes of champagne to attract and satisfy Asian customers.
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The glacier is melting down faster.

Post  kurt on Thu Mar 27 2008, 10:42

Over the half century we have developed a great number of things for the practical use. There are pros and cons on the convenience we have been enjoying. For instance, thanks to the invention of vehicles, we are able to reach one point to another easily or ship tons of items to the remote areas quickly. On the other hand, because of the convenience. we have been confronted with harmful emmissins which are attributed to endangering the environment.
The advance in technology or industry was achieved by exploiting nature or polluting it. Now, we have been faced with adverse effects such as depletion of ozone layer, which is reportedly believed to cause global warming and other baneful effects on humankind. These are what we have done to our nature. I think the natural retribution just started. A number of evidence is reported all around the world. I heard that snow and rain dumped more than 25 inches in East Coast in States, where it snows a lot, but it was more than ever and it stayed much longer. This is the one of the disasterous evidence.

I think that we will seek the solution to come to grips with problems. Since both companies and people are more aware of nature conservation, we can better keep our nature safer. In addtion , There are a slew of more eco-friendly products. The research teams are looking for possible alternative fuel instead of fossile oil. These are the good signs to turn our nature back on the healthy track.
kurt
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Yoobin Cha on Thu Mar 27 2008, 10:50

Decision: A global warning has become big issue in all over the world but I think that most of people are not regard it as terrible , threathen our life problem. A few month ago, there was heavy snows in NY in USA so residents are stuck on the street or experience blackouts.

By watching these news, I realized that human being is just small part of environment even if they consider
themselves powerful , smart to control the environment.

My prediction is that the sea level will be higher than before. Thus, some islands will be submerged into sea.
Japan , England , another country which consist of islands will struggle to get a continent to survive.
Temperature of sea will decrease continously so marine creatures go extinct. After all, human beings can not live on this planet any more.
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

About Antarctica Glacier Melting Faster

Post  Kim Hyunjin on Thu Mar 27 2008, 11:08

I used to enjoy watching the Discovery Chanel on TV, although I donít often do that nowadays. Anyway, I remembered having seen a documentary program at that time which was about global warming. It said that if all of glacier were melting, many of islands like Japan might have gone, even parts of my country as well. Then, I was worried and scared because of that prediction, and I thought that if so, I wouldnít try to study hard for my future life anymore. This video makes me remind the same thoughts at the time. But Iíll also change my mind, not feel concerned any more and decide to live my life to the full as well as that time I knew that fact at first time.

My prediction is that first, lots of animals which live and get food in Antarctica glacier may disappear because they can not survive and feed themselves and their babies if they would not adjust to the changing environment. Itís also likely that the sea water will get cooler and cooler because of the melting glacier. As a result of that, the world's sea temperature might fall and we may meet another ice age.
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Mar 27 2008, 11:46

(opinion) Very Happy What a Face pirat alien

I'm of the opinion that everyone living on the earth should awake to one important crisis that our home planet has right now. In fact, many people are unware of the thing happening in Antarctica peninsula because they cannot see it without visiting there in person. Thanks to the Reuters news, now some people might perceive the one of the serious dangers on the earth now. However, that is not enough to solve the problem that we have. The people who know this news should tell others about this so that everyone can realize their faults and try to stop this. As human beings are living on the earth by destroying many things, they are responsible for this phenomenon.

(prediction) Shocked Like a Star @ heaven Wink Mad Laughing pig cheers Basketball Sleep

My prediction is that the speed of the melting ice will become faster this year, but will not threaten our living severely. The melted ice will only affect the rise in sea level. It is also likely that many people will feel guilty of what is happening in Antarctica after watching the Reuters news. I believe not only the medea but also the researchers in Antarctica will try to inform the news to the public.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lockdown in Tibet.

Post  jangdj on Thu Mar 27 2008, 12:03

I am opnion of that central government of China is caught in a classic catch-22. While Beijing sees this massive protest as an unlucky and nusiance for the olympic,Tibetian sees this big sports event as a good opportunity to echo their voices for the seperation to the rest of the world. It is pretty clear that this incident will bring an negative impact on the image of the country and 2008 olympic as well as.
Howeve, for Beijing tibet area is not a subject of discussion ornegotiation no matter how much blood they will see and what the media says. Considering Tibets geographical postion and china's security policy, Tibet is a "must have item" for its national interst. Plus , there will be chain reaction from the other minor ethnic groups if Tibet accomplish their goal and that is what would be a nightmare for the HAN government.

PREDICTION: I believe Chaina is going to use every single option to shut the mouth of the media. As matter of fact, criticizing voicesfrom the West is getting smaller and smaller and it is very unusal for them who always has been keeping thier voices about human right and democracy. In other words , they are realistic enough to recongize econmic size and its impacts to the rest of the world and what would be good for them. As alyways on , justice does not win . Winner is justice.
jangdj
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Champagne Demands Fizzing

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Thu Mar 27 2008, 12:20

opinion

I think it's better not to expand growing areas in France. If the France government allow it, the rarity of fizzing will decrease. When something is hard to get, it becomes more precious. Then more and more people would consider it more prestigious and The original French champagne will have the position as the 1st and the most luxurious champagne in the world. So France should not be greedy to get more money from it. I think they should leave it alone that the value of fizzing goes higher. Why is the masterpiece like Louis Vuitton is so popular and expensive? So they should think about their value and the originality first before anything else.

prediction

As the France government expand the growing areas, the price will be less expensive and even a little be cheaper than before. And a lot of fake or similar champagne will be made by other companies which originally didn't make the real fizzing to earn money. Finally there will be no prestigious and luxurious France fizzing any more if the trend continues. And then The France government and the original store runners will protest against the fake products and develop more qualified and special champagne no one has thought of before. Finally France will be back to the 1st position as the most popular champagne producer.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Antarctica Glacier Melting : Prediction& Opinion

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Thu Mar 27 2008, 13:01

Global warming is not a surprising news anymore to us. For decades, the frozen north and south became warmer and warmer. Ice masses formed by the accumulation and compaction of snow on mountains or near the poles have shrunk because of rising temperature. I'm of the opinion that the current temperature's change will produce more and more problems to our human beings and all the other animals and plants. Many scientists and authorities insist that this kind of climate change is due to the increase of carbon dioxide, industrial development and so on. Thus, actually they are about to regulate and control the amount of dioxide made in the process of manufacturing industrial products. However, some people say that the labour to try to lesson the damage is only the tip of the iceberg. That is, we can't stop the great change in Mother Nature.

The real problem is that we human beings have worried about just our own lives. We worry just a little bit about other plants and animals in the world. We have built many harbors, cities, and resorts on the seashore just for our civilization, not for the earth. Therefore, If the harbors and resorts should be doomed to submerge under the sea some day, our planet will be OK. Only human beings will be lose a lot. That's too bad, you guys, the lords of all creation! tongue tongue tongue tongue
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Lockdown in Tibet

Post  Kang Eunmi on Thu Mar 27 2008, 13:42

Mad Arrow While China claims that Tibet has always been a part of China, Tibet has a history of at least 1300 years of independence from China. So I'm of the opinion that China made all this event by taking
violent action to Tibet. Unprecedented demonstrations have taken place in the Tibetan Autonomous Region, at
least three Chinese provinces, and Beijing. We could easily foresee the result today. Chinese security forces have
responded by dispersing the protests, in some cases violently. They don't seem to consider the human rights at
all. This is the biggest fault on this issue.

Smile Arrow My prediction is that China will go on what they are doing now, because they have a tendancy to think themselves the center of the world. Which means, whatever they do, China never think they are wrong. China is very powerful country in the world but they should know that if they keep ignoring the human rights they might be isolated from the world. We should keep this in mind that 'History repeats itself!!'
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Opinion fot topic 1

Post  kiera on Thu Mar 27 2008, 13:53

opinion : I think the rate of global warmming is getting faster and it causes lots of environmental disaster.
The problem is the victim of this environmetal disaster is not the country which creates the crisis. Rather, the least environment - damaging country such as Maldives is seriously harmed. I heard the news that this island county is sinking at the rate of 10 centimeters per hour. I think developed country such as US, one of the most heat- consuming country, should be resposible for this tragedy. It's time for the developed countries to do the action.

Prediction : If we keep ignoring the changes of nature around us, we will be payed back. My prediction is that the eco-friendly businesses such as recycling tires, inventing clean energy will be welcomed and dominant in a few decages. However, because it's interglacial period, the world sea level will continuously increse although the rate of rising couldd be slowed down.

Last edited by kiera on Tue Apr 08 2008, 13:09; edited 1 time in total
kiera
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pilsu's feedback

Post  inmyheart479 on Fri Mar 28 2008, 05:53

Hi, Pilsu.
This is quite a good piece of writing. With an example of Korean history, you have expressed your feelings and thoughts very well. Your prediction is convincing and well organized as well. Above all, you have shown your good knowledge of the topic, lockdown in Tibet providing a supporting detail of current international status of China with other allies. Very Happy
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #2... (discuss in class March 20)

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 19:49

Lee Pilsu wrote:Opinion: I'm of the opinion that what's happened and is still happening in Lhasa, Tibet should be investigated thoroughly and reported more objectively by the journalists from around the world. All I can see from the video clips regarding the violence in Lhasa is about Tibetians using violence, damaging Chinese people's property, getting arrested by the Chinese soldiers. But the news doesn't show much of the violence made by the Chinese army, which many think is editted by the Chinese government before the news is released to the world. The international communities, however, suppose that a serious case of human rights' violence is being committed in Lhasa. While the Chinese government claims that only about 10 Tibetians were killed, the Tibet's government-in-exile argues that the number reaches up to as many as 80 or 100.
Watching Tibetians being chasing after by the Chinese soldiers with a club in hand, and Tibetians women crying uncontrollably at the sence of their men being beaten and arrested by the brutal soldiers, I felt a strong sympathy towards Tibetians, who lost their sovereignty in 1950 when the Chinese Liberation Army conquered the country by powerful military forces. If you watch the movie, "Seven Years in Tibet," you can see how Chinese military destroyed the peaceful life of Tibetians, burning up the village and killing people. Similarly, Korea also experienced brutal colonial rule by Japan for 35 years in the first half of 20th century. In 1910, March 1st, Koreans across the nation stood up against Japan calling for our independence. So how can we who had gone through similar experience in the past not help but feel sympathy towards Tibetians?

Prediction: My predition is that many people around the world will boycott the China's 2008 Summer Olympics. Some countries are expressing their negative views on the recent violent, heavy-handed crack down on Tibetians by the Chinese government and considering shunning the opening ceremony of the sports event. In addition, China's diplomatic relations with other advanced nations will get worse as more political leaders are to meet up with Dalai Lama. China has already shown its utter unpleasantness when German Chancellor, Angela Merkel, invited Dalai Lama, in Germany and when Dalai Lama gave a speech at the congress of United States.

Hi Pilsu,

Thanks for your very articulate (and early - you're quick off the mark!) response to the article.

I think many Koreans conscious of their own history at the hands of a colonizing neighboring power would be inclined to feel sympathy at Tibet's plight. I would, however, warn against judging historical events based on the way Hollywood protrays them... But your basic position on this is entirely understandable.

I wonder if your prediction will come true. Will nations be able to put the ethical issue of Tibet ahead of their economic interests (with China's fingers so deep in many other countries' economic activities)? What about the idea that the Olympics are not meant to be the stage for political maneuvering (not that many other countries have actually upheld that notion in the past - including especially the Soviet Union and USA). I have a feeling you could be right that something will happen, though.

Nice work! I enjoyed reading your response.

~ Jason

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 19:57

kim young-ah wrote:This video news reminded me of some stories that I heard in my middle school days. The stories were that our planet earth would be exterminated by Fire and Water(Flood). I think Fire means global warming, greenhouse effect by carbon dioxide, the destruction of the Ozone layer and so on. And Water means, I guess, flood, that is, glacier's melting.
I'm of the opinion that, in the end, the Fire and Water are dependent upon our behavior, i.e. to keep our environment safe and clean or not.
The environmental pollution (including air, water and soil pollution and all kinds of wastes) causes the earth to get disease and the earth has got the fever like that we have fever when we get disease. Here, the fever means global warming.
Due to global warming, the glacier is melted away. The melted water from the glacier is flown into the ocean. And the sea level is raised, finally flood!!!
So, all over the world is trying to save the earth, except USA and China. Sometimes I think if USA and China control their wastes and pollution, our earth will be O.K. soon.
But, without keeping the earth safe and clean, global warming would be accelerated and flood is coming much sooner than several thousand years.
I'm not sure the future is safe and hopeful in terms of this point. If the glacier is melted away, the sea proportion of the earth will be wider than now, and then we cannot have any land as much as now.
Or like the movie, "Tomorrow", all over the world will be covered with snow and ice. And only cold will remain. How miserable the world will be! What will our descendents become of?
For our earth and our descendents, we should do something.
The answer depends on us. Let's save the earth. cheers

Thank you. Take care, sunny

young

Hi Young-ah.

Thanks for your thoughts here in response to this article. I thought your comparison of the earth's woes with human-like conditions such as disease was quite interesting. Like you, I found that movie "Tomorrow" quite chilling (and not because of the weather portrayed, rather the very sudden nature of the movie's prediction!). Thankfully a lot of the "science" in that movie is rather bent for dramatic effect...

I also agree with you that the "big boys" - China and the USA, really need to do something if the planet is to eventually pull through this crisis. In some ways the rest of the world is hostage to what they do or don't do in the next couple of decades. Have you watched Al Gore's documentary? I found that really interesting, particularly due to the fact that an ex vice president was the driving force behind it.

Well done on this, your response was great. I look forward to seeing more of your reactions and predictions for future news articles.

Take care,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 20:03

Liz wrote: I'm of the opinion that Tibetans keep protesting peacefully to recover their autonomy. This is the perfect time for them to get attention from all over the world owing to 2008 Beijing Olympic Game. However, an Olympic boycotting is not a way to solve this problem because it's against the spirit of the Olympic.
Whatever the reason is, China's reaction to this problem should be criticized for using military force. China is such a hugh country and Tibet is just a small part of it. Comparing military forces between two parts, it's just like beating one's head against the wall. Therefore if it is asserted that cultural genocide is taking place in Tibet, there should be a through investigation upon it.
My prediction is that it's going to develope like a Tienanmen Square crackdown. As you see, no powerful country but France and Germany is announcing their opinion on this problem. Because China's power is getting stronger in the world, many powerful countries pretend not to know anything about it. Using this weak point, China's authority will block down all the mass media and rely on military power to achieve peace.

Hi Liz,

I found your thoughts on this article very insightful. I agree that basing a political protest around the hosting time of the Olympics is against the spirit of that event, but on the other hand I wonder if the people of Tibet really had any other choice.

China does appear to have one or two valid reasons for its presence in Tibet, but the reasons against are huge, and blocking access to international media is certainly not going to help their cause. But then again, they do have this enormous economic power to wield internationally. Will that be enough to crush any serious protest?

With matters in Tibet, I think we are not seeing even one tenth of what is really going on. It is quite scary to contemplate, isn't it?

Thanks for your contribution. I think it was well thought out and expressed.

See you in class soon,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 20:14

Bae Sung-han wrote:I'm of the opinion that melting glacier is one of the climate changing problems, which we must be concerned about nowadays. We have been facing the problems every year, particulary in summer and winter. Even though the sea level has risen up each year, we haven't yet noticed or, mayby we can say, ignored the coming disasters. Melting glacier is the result of what we have done to nature, so that we must know and take some actions to protect it.
I'm so worried about what will meet in every season because of the climate changes. In the late spring, we will have the heavy yellow dust all around the Korea and Japan, nobody can escape from the attack of nature, in spite of the fact that we have tried to prevent the deseted area in China and Mongol for ages. It is shameful that human beings are so stupid that we make our mistakes contuinally and repeatedly.
My prediction is that as long as we do not take the problem seriously, we will face the disater in a couple of years. I don't know what we are doomed, but we can save our lives at least if we do act somthing before we lose the chance done by us. After experiencing more damages than before, we will know that what we have done. But somehow, in the Europe and other countries in the world, the authorities began to realize that nature is sick and the problems around the world are getting out of control. I hope we will not be the generation of the destroyer. All wake up and take some actions right now!! Cool

Hi Sung-han,

Thanks for posting your thoughts on this article - I think you have expressed the issue and your views very articulately.

Yes, we humans do seem to be collectively rather stupid on certain issues, don't we? The evidence appears to be all around us now, but still relatively little is being done about it. I have seen some good signs, however. More and more people appear to be aware of the problems, and in many countries climate control seems to be becoming more of an election issue. It's a good start, but assuredly more is needed - and fast!

Keep up the great work!

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 20:21

Oksun wrote:Opinion : I'm of the opinion that, it's imperative for China to let people in other contries know what's happening in Lhasa "objectively". China has shut off Tibet to foreign visitors and is denying requests from foreign journalists to visit the region. Hongkong reporters have been told to leave. I also think that China is going to crack down on demonstrators "without any witnesses".After the failed uprising in 1959, when Dalai Lama, Tibetans' spiritual leader, fled to India, Tibetans have been persistently calling for independence from China. They simply want to keep their own culture and tradition, without any political causes. How humble and naive their wishes are !!
I'm of opinion that China insists on the idea that Tibet is part of China, although no country in the world reaffirms support. Suspect
Prediction : My prediction is that the violence in Lhasa will result in a deathblow to China,which will host the Olympic Games this summer,looking forward to regain its "proper"place in the world. Some human right advocates see the Olympic logo as the symbol of suppressed Tibetans. It's also likely that repression in Tibet could end in demands to boycott the Olympics. Some athletes are reported to consider it already.
The Chinese government has been investing money into Tibet, including the construction of a railroad to connect the region with major cities such as Shanghai and Beijing. Therefore, My prediction is that, as long as China think of Tibet as an area of economic, millitary, and political importance, it WON'T allow Tibet to have independence. Evil or Very Mad

Hi Oksun,

Thanks for your very comprehensive response to the article. It was interesting to read!

I think you make a powerful point when you call on the need for objectivity in reporting the developments in Lhasa. Without international access to the region, both old and new suspicions about China's handling of the Tibet issue will continue and probably worsen. It's interesting that even Hong Kong reporters have been asked to leave, given that Hong Kong is officially part of China.

So you predict a deathblow to China's "proper place in the world" over this, in association with the Olympics? It seems many would agree with you.

I was very impressed by the level of English expression in your response. You appear to have some strong writing skills!

Well done and see you in class again soon,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 20:30

Kim Jin-Young wrote:(opinion)

Judging from hot issues of climate changes, I'm of the opinion that the life of future generations doesn't seem to be better than now. I also think that blasphemous disasters may suddenly happen sooner or later. What makes us more serious is that it is impossible to predict the size and strength of upcoming disasters. For sure, melting glacier is one of good examples. Frankly speaking, as a woman, I'm seriously concerned about my children's life in the Earth. In this reason, I'm not sure whether I will have a baby or not, if I get married. Do you think that I exclusively focus on the negative side? I don't want my children to live in the Earth which will probably be transformed to the world in the movie "The Day after Tomorrow".

(prediction)

As the article said, the rate of melting glacier is faster than expected. In Antarctica, the thickness of glacier becomes thinner and the size of it is getting smaller. My prediction is that melting antarctic glacier will have little effects on the world sea level; the glacier in Antarctica is in a different situation from that in the Arctic. In other words, antarctic glacier is floating on the sea, which can be explained in the same way that ice is floating in the cup which is full of water. If it is melted in a cup, it is unlikely to flood. However, this story is totally unsuitable for applying to the Arctic. The moment glacier is melted in the Arctic, the earth may go through many confusing changes. The reason is that hugh arctic ice lies on the land, not floating in the sea. If all of the ice undergoes changes in the Arctic, the world sea level will rise up to 60 meters higher than now. If so, areas that are 60 meters above the present sea level are likely to submerge into the sea. Moreover, many world famous or even ancient cities are located near the sea or rivers. It's also likely that the sea will become less saltier because of the influx of fresh water from glacier. Caused by low density of salt, the pattern of currents will become less active. drunken

Hi Jin-Young,

Thanks for composing such a detailed and well thought out response to your chosen article. It was really interesting to read your feelings and impressions.

Like you, I have a lot of trepidation about the kind of sudden 'freak' weather events that appear to be associated with global warming. I also worry about the future world my children and grandchildren may end up faced with. However, I think your fear of having children in future is a little unfounded. It may be the case that our children, born into the changing world with an awareness of what is wrong and needs to be done, could actually be the key instruments in setting things right again.

I was a little confused by your predictions regarding ice melting in the Arctic and the Antarctic... Perhaps you meant the other way around? That is, the ice in Antarctica is based on land whereas the ice in the Arctic is floating on water alone?

Otherwise, I think your predictions show a good knowledge of the various forecasts from scientists and experts. If true, the world will indeed become very different. It's quite scary to contemplate, isn't it?

Thanks so much for your contribution - I really enjoyed reading it!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 20:56

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:opinion -I'm of the opinion that this phenomenon is very serious thing and it may threaten our life. So we immediately have to take action to make our global climate normal temperature. We just take care of our own health. We do all the things to make our body and mind strong and sound. But we don't do anything to make our environment better place. We just use a lot of disposable products and much chemical which pollute the whole environment. Also we don't save the natural resources. As there is a saying that it is no use crying over spilt milk, we need to make the environment and the sea level normal as soon as possible.

prediction -My prediction is that if we don't take care of the entire global climate, the earth itself as well as our health and life will not be exist any more. As the melting glacier might make flood, the people living in the area which is lower than any other area and the people living in the area near the Antarctica may lose their living place. Moreover, if the phenomenon of melting glacier keeps going on, the people just living in the lower area and near the Antarctica and the people living all around the world cannot live in the earth any more. In the end the whole earth may sink down. And before long, perhaps some scientists may invent and develop very special place which many people can live in. For example, we can have a place to live under the sea or on the sea such as a submarine house and a boat house. Melting glacier faster means that the climate of the earth keeps warming faster. When it comes to just Korea, now we have distinct four seasons. But if this kind of phenomenon keeps going on, the distinctive seasons may become one weather just like summer during all the year.
So, to keep our beatiful four seasons we need to save our environment by plating lots of flowers and trees, not using many disposable products and chemical products, and saving important and valuable natural resorces. By doing these things we can prevent the climate from warming and the Antarctica glacier from melting. Also we can live peacefully in the beautiful and precious earth all together including other animals.

Hi Kyoung Jae,

Thanks for your response. By the looks of it, you have really thought deeply about this issue and expressed a lot of very interesting reactions to it.

I cannot but agree with you when you point out that we all "appear" to be quite concerned about the global warming phenomenon, but all the while continue to go about the very behaviors that help hasten it along its path. We still appear to be in the "this is somebody else's very serious problem" mindset. It's almost as if we will only actually take action when something affects each of us very directly, and by then it could be well and truly too late...

I really enjoyed reading some of your predictions, especially about how humans may learn to adapt to a new environment brought on by global warming. I know Koreans are very fond of their "four seasons", but there are many many other countries in the world with four seasons to lose out of this, and that could in fact only be the start of our very serious future problems.

I also like your recommendations to help prevent the catastrophe. I think that is an important first step: recognizing the simple things we all can do right now to make a collective difference.

Well thought and well written - well done!

I'm looking forward to seeing you in class again soon.

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 21:05

billy wrote:Opinion: I feel really sad and pitiful about what is going on in Lhasa, the capital of former Tibet. I'm also of the opinion that the Chinese government has been doing something that should be criticized worldwide. The store owner in the video clip said she was not worried because the Chinese Liberation Army would crack down on the riots and give her peace back sooner or later. At first, I was wondering how she could say that even when her brethren was being killed in the military campaign. But, after a while I came to know she was not Tibetan, but Chinese who moved to Lhasa to make money. Just like what Japanese militarists did to our country, the Chinese government tried to move their Han(Chinese) race to the Tibetan territory trying to trample the thousand-old spiritual country and obliterate their cultures and traditions. I was really furious and enraged about the Chinese mean demeanor and felt a strong sympathy to the Tibetan women having no other option to look at their husbands and sons being chased and beaten to bleeding by the Chinese soldiers.

Prediction: My prediction is that the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games will be crucially defamed by the Chinese government's inhumane treatment of Tibetan people. Some celebrities have already voiced their concerns and put their words into action. For example, Steven Spielberg, a world-famous American movie director, is said to refuse to take the role of artistic advisor for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Plus, the China's foreign relations with other European countries may be dampened. However, considering the merciless Chinese suppression and secretive military campaign, I don't think the Chinese government will give in to the Tibetans' demand for their independence.

Hi Billy,

Thanks for getting online and posting such a thoughtful and well-expressed response to your chosen article.

Interestingly, I went through the same process you did - wondering how the Chinese shop owner could make the comments that she did, until I realized she was clearly Han Chinese and not Tibetan. It was interesting that this report came through Chinese media, and only involved interviewing a Chinese resident, isn't it? What do you think: the Chinese propoganda machine in full effect?

I agree with your prediction that China will not make any major concessions in this, and also that they are destined to suffer infamy around the Olympic stage. I think the only thing that could ever sway China to have a more sensitive approach to Tibet is through economic and diplomatic force. Unfortunately, the biggest players on the world stage capable of doing this are generally as guilty as China is when it comes to handling other countries in the name of its own national 'interest'.

All in all, it strikes me as another sad chapter in a very sad story.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I enjoyed reading them.

I hope we get to see you in class again soon. We missed you last Thursday evening...

Take care,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 21:13

Joo Un-jin wrote:opinion: I think that China must be critisized for it wants to conquer Tibet by force. It's not legitimate. Tibet is not a part of China. They have been wholly different. Tehy have been seperate nations for a long time and have nothing in common in culture, history and so on. But China wants to have Tibet for their profit. Many people in the world feel wonder about Tibet for it is famous for Tibet Buddhism. I think that by taking advantage of them, China wants to make money. It doesn't have right to do that. Events like this happened several times. Chinese killed Tibetan protesters, destroyed temples and tried to own it by force. Tibetan hatred to China is so deep. How can China have Tibet as a part of it despite this situation? To have Tibet ignoring people and its culture is impossible.China must respect other nation's right of its own and gift independence to Tibet.
Chinese economy is growing rapidly so it wants to be a leading country. That's why it tried so hard to hold Olympic games. But it is caught in narrow opinion that it is best in Asia and the world. So it tries to conquer other nations like Tibet and Korea by force or changing history. To be a real leader in the world, China has to learn how to respect other nations and coexist with others peacefully.

prediction: My prediction is that inspite of Tibetan protest and boycott opinion for Beijing Olympics, there will be little change. Personally I agree with the boycott but China is so strong that other nations may be afraid of their ties' being broken with it. NGOs can make movements against China. But government leaders cannot do things against it easily.
And I think Olympic games will be held eventually. IOC is against boycott for the Beijing Olympics. There was riot in Mexico City just one day before the Mexico Opympic games, but IOC insisted having it on time. Finally it was held...

Hi Un-jin,

You've made a great effort here and composed some good thoughts, so well done!

I found myself agreeing with a lot of your points. The only one I thought was a bit off was the assertion that China was trying to conquer Korea and change its history... Perhaps that is taking things a little too far at this stage.

I agree with your predictions, however. I think - despite any soft protests from other major countries - economic ties will continue to dictate what happens both in China/Tibet and in its relationships with other countries. I guess if anything, at least if Tibet continues to be trampled on in this way, the historical record of the Olympics in Beijing will have a permanent sidebar highlighting the Tibetan crisis.

I didn't actually know that fact about riots preceding the Olympic Games in Mexico. Thanks for adding to my knowledge of history!

Great effort on this - I'm impressed by your contribution and thoughts.

Best wishes and see you in class,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri Mar 28 2008, 21:37

Nam-suk wrote:It's such a tragedy that china has cracked down on Tibet and has abused human rights since 1951. I'm of the opinion that this tragedy is such an irony because China promised they'll keep the olympic charter, which extols "human dignity" when they won the olympic bid. Therefore, this "cultural genocide" which is called by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama is obviously against their pledge.
The More interesting thing is that the international tepid response about this. Most countries concern their relationships between China over human rights or dignity. It's not only for the tibetan, anybody can be in that situation. Especially, can Korea, which has similar issue with North Korea, raise some questions or ask some help to the international community later unless they do something with other countries like being anemic to this issue..

My prediction is that most countries like USA, Japan, and etc. will show their lukewarm responses about this since they did same thing to other countries in the past and still they don't have complete different opinions from China when it comes to taking other nations by force. Even though boycotting of a few countries like France might tarnish China's great world party in a way, eventually, China might be able to do anything like what they want without formidable challenges...

Hi Nam-suk,

Thanks for jumping on here and giving us your thoughts about this video news article.

I think you are the first poster so far to point out the potential hypocracy exhibited by China in claiming to uphold the Olympic charter and yet trample forcefully on a much weaker nation. I also think you are quite right to describe the international response as 'tepid' - a very good word to use in this situation, in fact. It would appear that economic importance and influence seems to be the prerequisite for getting any sort of outside support or help when it comes to crises like these. Consider the invasion of Kuwait in 1991, for example. The world was pretty quick to jump in and help 'liberate' the Kuwaitis, wasn't it? Mmmm....

Your prediction appears to be quite realistic, even though admitting so doesn't fill me with a lot of joy.

In any case, it was great to read your thoughts. Thanks so much for posting them and being such an enthusiastic member of the class.

See you soon,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next