[OP9] “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.”

Go down

[OP9] “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.”

Post  Hyun a Ji on Wed May 28 2008, 09:21

OP9]
A noted professor of English Education in Korea uses this motto in his email signatures: “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.”
What do you think is meant by this? Do you agree or disagree with it? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Until now, many people have discussed how much care to students. Some teachers give too much inappropriate efforts, expectations to students, inflicting corporal punishment on students. It is hard students realized why teachers scold too much. However we could see quiet teacher compared to forward teacher. They teach students and look them sincerely. I agree with them. Too much effort like extreme punishment will be useless to students if students don't need anymore. Education should be interactive; teachers open the door, students enter by themselves.

First of all, they could do and learn not by necessity but by choice. They could think, they need enough time to decide what is right or false. It's definitely takes a long time, but it is necessary to give chance to think about. Teachers just open the door, helping them realize learning to study. Because it is impossible teachers do everything for them. Students do act according to what they learn. For instance, I learned by famous teacher in private institute like obligatorily, I didn't do any review. So my English score was same as before. Students should make a effort as much as teachers do.

Secondly, it means proper teachers' approach and help is critical to students. Otherwise, if teachers' help is not enough to students, it is difficult they realize by themselves. Teachers' impression is very important to students. They learn, do and think naturally like teachers. For example, lots of people would like to follow teacher as their rolemodel. Actually, my rolemodel is vice-teacher who met in teachers practicum. She taught me how to deal with students sincerely. She motivates me want to be teacher. Even though I didn't met her in my school life, she was most impressive teacher in my life. On the contrary, I also met lots of awful teachers in my life. I received some punishment in high school, because I made a error, mistake. However it was more terrible than what I made. In junior, I received lots of punishment by terrible physical teacher because I didn't bring a shoe pouch. Until now, I didn't understand why I received that kind of punishment. I decided I want to be understandable teacher to students. Like my experience, teachers' influence is critical to students' life. It should be always helpful to students, teachers should always act with prudence.

In short, education should be interactive; by teachers and students. Sometimes, we could see negative students even if teacher are opening door. Also we could see helpless teacher who don't know what is door. In Korea, many teachers are helpless, indifferent to students. Definitely students should also make effort as much as they can. Because teachers' effort will be useless if students don't make any effort.
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OP9] “Teachers open the door. Students enter by themselves.”

Post  Young on Sat Jun 07 2008, 04:06

I also agree that teachers should repect students. Some teachers are too arrogant to treat students preperly. Teachers are really special ones. Sometimes teachers can give motivations to try something or future to learners. When you become a teacher, be the kind of a teacher that you have in your mind now.
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down