Journal Entry 3

Go down

Journal Entry 3

Post  Hyun a Ji on Wed May 28 2008, 07:32

I have read Araby carefully more than 3 times. At first, I thought the story was about a boy who fell in love with an older girl. I thought simply it was a love story . But I was wrong. When I finished reading it several times, I realized there are many symbolic images and connotations in the text. Without knowing them, it is very hard to understand the text. Before reading several times, I couldn't understand and approach Joyce's intention in Araby. As mentioned above, I failed to notice important symbols and connotations of the text at first, as I had no knowledge about the writer, James Joyce and especially, background of his novel. To understand the essence of his story, I believed it was very important to know them. I tried to search for the information, and now I think I know about him and the setting in his novel to some degree. Through the process of searching, I've been interested in finding out how words and phrases in text represent the people and their situation in Ireland which was under the control by England. Now I will talk about it in more detail.

Joyce set the blind on the North Richmond Street for spatial background in the opening paragraphs of his short story. The North Richmond Street is introduced as "bind", and quiet. As "blind" is an one side closed corner, it suggests the closed society in Dublin. This means there exists no energy or liveliness in Dublin. Therefore people in Dublin got paralysed mentally in such society. The closure and paralysis symbolize frustration and despairs of the Irish. In the next paragraph Joyce depicts the two story house , whose late tenant was priest, the brown images of things in which symbolize decay and paralysis. Musty air, the faded yellow books and rusty pump are symbols of Dublin where lively and brisk atmosphere disappeared. Short days of winter, dusk, and ever-changing violet in the sky show the main time in the novel. They make Dublin dark and somber images in the text. In addition, religion which fell into habit, the illusion of romantic love are lack of Dubliners' self- or reality-consciousness. The People in Dublin indulged in mental, moral, and psychological paralysis. Through this novel Araby, the author constantly urges Ireland people to awake from their illusion of life, so that they could realize their reality.

If I read this novel just for pleasure only once, I would finish reading it just within 20-30 minutes, maybe. No wonder the book would go to my bookshelf quickly. Nonetheless, perhaps I would be proud of having read Joyce's masterpiece. How foolish I am! After reading Araby once, I gathered the information about Joyce and his novel. Poor though it is, I tried my best to understand the text based on the information. To me, Araby is not a romantic love story any more. Adolescent initiation is portrayed in Araby. That is, Araby tells the story of an adolescent boy's initiation into adulthood. It is a initiation novel in colony's special situation in Ireland. Due to this novel Araby, I realized it is very essential to understand a writer and his time. Before I read it, Dublin in Ireland was tourist attraction, not more than it. It is a very contrasting image, comparing with the image Joyce depicted in his novels.

Not knowing the exact reason, I am very ashamed of myself now.
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Journal Entry 3

Post  Ji hye Lim on Sat Jun 14 2008, 19:09

I didn't hear about this book before. I’m ashamed that I keep away from book recently.Thanks to recomend good book. I will try to read this book this summer vacation. Wink
Ji hye Lim
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down