Final Exam: Video News from Lee Gyeong-eun

Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Lee Gyeong-eun

Post  LeeGyeong-eun on Thu May 22 2008, 12:48

Preview

http://www.reuters.com/resources/flash/includevideo.swf?edition=US&videoId=82748"
/>

1) SUMMARY

A Chinese nine-year-old earthquake survivor's brave behavior ,saving his classmates in a dangerous earthquake,touched people in China. Eventhough he injured his arm ,he went back to a collapsing building to save another after first his rescue.
Only 10 of 31 children survived from the worst -hit earthquake , two of them were rescued thanks to Lin .

2) Pre-listening activity

Smile To better understanding of the students , offer some visual materials which deal with worldwide dangerous disasters and explain nowadays' current issues about earthquake in China.
->make the Ss build up their prior knowledge about the topic and give some motivation and interest!

Very Happy Pre-teaching :
Write some difficult words for get the gist in the actual video, but I think it's better to skip the local part like some grammar points because we can understand well without the local knowledges.

3) Post-listening activity : < to check comprehension >

Wink To check Ss' understanding well or not teacher can offer some hand-out including
some blanks (for dictation :usually we use this activity while listening but we can also use this activity after listening ) .
We can make up some blanks according to class focus: bottom - up or top- down
Bottom -up styled hand-out is to check the Ss's understanding ability- a kind of scanning.
Top-down styled hand-out is for check the Ss' skimming ability -catch the general content rather than detail informations.

Comprehension check -up Question : It can be possible to make some papers including some questions or teacher can ask some questions to the Ss directly .

3) Post- Listening Activity (Productive activity)

Speaking& Writing

Discussion :Make the students discuss about the video article with same group members. ㅡ> to express their private opinions

Simulation + Role Play: Suppose to be in the similiar situation and talk about their reaction which they want to handle the situation. Arrange ecah others' role and make the Ss pretend to be in the situation (fields) ㅡ>ex ) the other classmates who are rescuedd , parents, rescuer, teachers, people around the accident.

DICTOGLOSS :
Make the Ss compose a whole story based on the video article.
Ss can make up one whole story based on the dictation paper
(Ss did it while filling in the blanks )

SCRAMBLED SENTENCES :
use some scrambled sentences and make the whole story according to original contents' sequences.

General Goal: To Improve Ss productive Skills
: speaking / writing) , teachers can organize well post- listening activities.
LeeGyeong-eun
Starter
Starter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Lee Gyeong-eun

Post  Oksun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 11:15

I couldn't totally understand what the video clip is about ,for you didn't set video clip properly and just link the web site .(I don't know why I couldn't link that web site, though) Anyway.. I roughly understood what the contents of the video clip. You organized your lesson plan pretty well. In pre-listening stage, it's good to show some pictures to draw students' attention and let them use their prior knowledge. I like your simulation & role play activity for post listening activity. By letting students be in characters' shoes, they can sympathize their terrible situation and comprehend what the video tells about as well. I think "scrambled sentences" activity is also beneficial for reading comprehension . You could apply "Jigsaw puzzle " activity into your class to improve students' reading ability.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Jun 02 2008, 11:34

I don't think you totally understood what Jason said to us what to do with this part of our final examinaiton. You must check the instruction again, and then you should put the video on your section again, not like you did with the address of the video news.

In the pre-listening part, as you mentioned, I agree with that the details are not important here such as grammar and local knowledge.

In the post-listening activities, I think you have a point with the simulation activity. I suppose that students will get what they should do in that situation. Moreover, they might learn some key words during the activitiy, which is the vital part of their emegent situation in the future. Who knows they will be in disasters?

However, as the last part of the activity, I don't think they need the scrambled sentences because they already know what is going on and this activity might be helpless to students.
Cheers! flower
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

China's quake boy hero

Post  Jung Yoojin on Tue Jun 03 2008, 20:50

First of all I agree with Sunghan's idea on the video. First time I was it was my computer problem, but I think you can try one more time to put your video clip ^^ (It is not easy first time but if you try harder you will get it!) I saw several news from this forum which all the videos make me sad, but this time it is happy to hear this news! The child is very courageous, brave and bold! How come he is! I respect him, if I were him at that time, I do not know how to do it or I might feel scared to help people. Anyway I should learn from him^^ Secondly,in pre-listenin stage, I agree with your ideas offering some visual materials to elicit students prior knowledge about the topic and get them interesed in topic. Pictures will help students a lot to get their attention and their motivation. And I like the way you suggested, providing Top-down comprehension check and Bottom-up comprehension check. I never thought using both of comprehension skills before!!
Thirdly, I would like to comment on your post-listening activities for production. You gave us various activities but I think you should choose one of them to practice in your classroom. I think there are a little bit much in post-stage. And I like scramble-sentences activity. But I think scramble-sentence activity would be more fittable on comprehension activity for learners. Inserting this activity to comprehension activity would be better^^.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu on Wed Jun 04 2008, 08:16

I think the content of the video is quite suitable because the earthquake catastrophe that hit our neighboring country, China, was such a big and remorseful issue that I think many Koreans watched the news with care and worry. What I like about your lesson plan is your productive activity that includes doing role-play and ordering scrambled sentences. I think role-play is a really helpful method. It's kind of performing a play. First of all, either students or teacher should draw up the script for the role play that is impossible without understanding the video article they watched. If the video is too difficult, I think teacher can make the script himself or herself. Next, while students are doing the acting, they will have to speak sentences in appropriate situations and put their emotion into what they speak at the same time. So it's almost as if they were actually in devastated areas in China, saving children. It's challenging but beneficial. Furthermore, I think ordering the scrambled sentences is very a unique and helpful strategy because the activity requires students understanding the flow of the story in the news. These productive activities you made are practical and useful in classroom.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Wed Jun 04 2008, 09:27

9-year-old hero~! What a brave boy!!! If I were him, I couldn't do that being scared at the situation. Anyway, the story is suitable for the class material since it is hot issues happening neighboring country. I think your lesson plan is good and well-organized but it's also good to change some part a little. In my opinion, it's proper to add some more activities in the post-listening comprehension activity. If you give the students time to discuss and share their ideas for the checking their comprehension after doing activities you mentioned. it will be a better plan. Also, I'd like to use 'the scrambled sentences' activity not for the individual activity but for the group activity. Students divide the separated sentences into two parts, and then share their ideas to make the story in a right order. In this part they should use the expressions they learned through the video of course. After that activity, you can add twisty-turny story activity we did at the class to improve their reading and writing ability. How about my idea? It's just my idea... I hope it will be helpful to your lesson plan.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:52

Hello~ Exclamation

What a tragedy in China! Crying or Very sad But a story like this must be a hope and energy for Chinese people at this point. The young boy was really brave and courageous to rescue his classmates because in that kind of situation, even adults can't easily throw oneself into danger. I feel sorry that so many his classmates couldn't survive and hope the boy will find his parents soon.

I've enjoyed reading your lesson plan and think it was great with various activities included. I thought the part where students do role play will let them know what it feels like to be in the boy's or people of China situation. Moreover, if they could have some more time to do English writing, in simulation and role play part at productive activity stage, students can write to students in China to cheer up. (It could be just an imaginary letter but students will understand the situation in China a little more and sympathize with them after doing the simulation and role play.) Like a Star @ heaven

That was just a little thought I had in mind and hope my reply helped you! Smile
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Hyunjin on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:56

Actually, I wanted to choose this video clip you did.
The reason is, first, the child is so cute and even brave that it might call students' attention, I think. Second, it is generally easy for students to hear because most children use very easy and simple words. Also, it is good to do many kinds of activities such as dictation, describing situation, etc.. If you want, you use many teaching tools in your class, too. I think you had better add some activities to make your class more vivid.
For example, let students ask, if they were the child watching his friend under the bricks, what they should do. In this way, it is one of good things to talk about the vedio clip with each other in English.
Thaks for reading~
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Boyeun on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:09

I was moved by this story. The earthqueak that had happened in china is tremendous disaster. Many people are died and injured. However even thoug the young boy are injured, he tried to seek to rescue his friends. Like me many students also are likely to be moved by this story.

To skip the local part like some grammar points is good part of study because sutdents can understand well without the local knowledges.
Moreover comprehension check-up Question for understanding of students. By interecting their opinion, they also improve their English ablities.
Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's a good work!

Post  sunnypine on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:09

Hello~ I've never talked to you in class, but now i can talk to you finally! I actually understood by your summary because of your link problem. But it's ok! Anyways, I think your video is really at good timing, because many Koreans are so curious about China's big earthquake and also worried about us too. Also I like to see some touching stories. I think students will be so interested in your vedio article. First of all, I like your situational role play activity so much! I really like fun activities. But I've never thought about that kind of activity from watching news! That can really make students understand the news well and have fun! Also I like your scrambled sentences part too. I think you know a lot of activities. I just hope if you put more reading related activities more, then it will be perfect! Thanks!
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down