Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fianl Exam: Video News from Kim Boyeun

Post  Kim Boyeun on Thu May 22 2008, 20:11

1. Summary

This Video is about Barack Obama's announcement exhibiting his temper against former pastor, reverend Wrights.

In his speech, he said he was outrage by right assertion about the US government and race. Obama also mentioned that the pastor's comment was destructive and could not portrait the accurate aspect of black church. Also, he said that they did not portrait accurately his value and beliefs. Because of this event he unfortunately lost the Pennsylvania primary. So Obama strongly expressed his fury and pointed out the exaggeration of this event.

2. Pre-listening activities

The most important things to build up students background knowledge, teacher let students do research over public speech style including real speech, or essay.

3. Post-listening productive activities

To enhance their understanding teacher should make a piece of paper which has a blank about challenging vocabulary, and the students have a time to discuss the main idea and supporting sentence of article. Through this chance student can easily understand about article.

4. Post- listening productive activities

Learning public speech style is crucial course academic class because the possibility to speech in front of public has increasingly risen. First student should be taught how to speak in front of many people by following Obamas style or anything is ok. Then the students discuss what the good public speech style is. By this class students can improve their speaking ability. Second, the students talk about pro and con. Last student write an assay about their speech. It should be followed formally.
Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Boyeun on Thu May 22 2008, 20:11

1. Summary

This Video is about Barack Obama's announcement exhibiting his temper against former pastor, reverend Wrights.

In his speech, he said he was outrage by right assertion about the US government and race. Obama also mentioned that the pastor's comment was destructive and could not portrait the accurate aspect of black church. Also, he said that they did not portrait accurately his value and beliefs. Because of this event he unfortunately lost the Pennsylvania primary. So Obama strongly expressed his fury and pointed out the exaggeration of this event.

2. Pre-listening activities

The most important things to build up students background knowledge, teacher let students do research over public speech style including real speech, or essay.

3. Post-listening productive activities

To enhance their understanding teacher should make a piece of paper which has a blank about challenging vocabulary, and the students have a time to discuss the main idea and supporting sentence of article. Through this chance student can easily understand about article.

4. Post- listening productive activities

Learning public speech style is crucial course academic class because the possibility to speech in front of public has increasingly risen. First student should be taught how to speak in front of many people by following Obamas style or anything is ok. Then the students discuss what the good public speech style is. By this class students can improve their speaking ability. Second, the students talk about pro and con. Last student write an assay about their speech. It should be followed formally.
Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu on Fri May 23 2008, 11:48

Hello, Bo-yeun. I think the video you chose can be helpful to learn how politicians speak. Obviously they don't speak the way we talk in casual conversations. They use very formal and rhetoric speech. It will be good experience for students to pick up this particular style of speech.

I think your lesson plan carries important activity that involves learning how to speak in public. When I was a high school student, I had never been taught this skill which I realized was very important as I had many opportunities to speak in public in college. You gave a kind of homework for students to do some research about public speaking. I think it's good because while students seek information and take notes about it, they learn more actively.

However, I have a question I don't quite understand. Regarding your pre-listening activity, why do you think students should study public speaking style to understand the background knowledge of this video news article?

I think your post-listening activity is good and I think it will be better if you make a table containing two main contents of this video news:(1) whose argument is Obama is arguing back and what is it about, (2) what does Obama say for his argument. You may give a hint if the students find the news difficult to understand.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  billy on Sun May 25 2008, 10:48

Hello, Boyeon!

First i would like to say you must have taken pains to choose the video clip and draw up this compact and appropriate lesson plan.

You chose a political topic which may attract students' attention. I think it is good in that the students should be encouraged to know more about the American political system or politicians if they wish to learn English better. It may increase their familiarity with the target culture or help their acculturation process.

Talking of your pre-listening activity, since it is just an outline of your general lesson plan, I don't have much to say about your a little 'shortened' version. But, I think you couldn't have been more careful in clarifing the connection between public speech style and the topic of the video clip.

Plus, you wrote you can help students understand the topic by making a list of difficult words or expressions in the post-listening productive activity. You're quite right about this point. This video clip has a lot of words and expressions that student may find difficult to grasp. But, this activity is more applicable as the pre-listening activity if it is intended to help them better understand the topic considering the level of difficulty of this video clip.

Once again, i would like to extend my words of encouragement to your efforts!
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Fri May 30 2008, 06:41

I think your teaching plan for how to make a speech in public is good generally because I agree with that they need to know what they want to say to people in fron of them. Being alone on the stage and standing alone is one of the most difficult jobs for everyone. I don't like to make this saying a big issue, but I think we know this surely and accrurately.
I think our representatives are not good enough to deal with talking with the representatives from other countries. Pity, isn't it?
In a real frustrated situation, students will, of course, be ready for studying and learning it.
However, I would like to know more details of your lesson plan becasue there are not full or understandable information about your teaching plan. In the pre-listening, your plan is a bit wide to pick up your point. If You are possibly ready for preview sheets, such as Abraham Licoln, Pastor King, Sir Winston Churchill and so on, or you can ask students to write down what they have got in their minds to persuade audience, etc.
I like your idea that students should know how to speech.
Good job! Razz
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Tue Jun 03 2008, 12:29

Hello~
I think your choice of the article can show students different style of speaking in English, a speech! Even though I've heard about Hilary and Obama ongoing election news from Korean news, it's great to have a chance to see Obama's announcement in English and watch his way of formal speaking style.
It's also great that you could relate the speech to the real activities in your lesson plan. Like you mentioned, students these days have more opportunities to speak in public and practicing in the class will help them know how to present one's speech. I liked the FLOW Exclamation of your lesson plan and the way you pulled that flow to the last activity.(Like teaching them speech style at pre-listening stage and let students make a speech in public at post-productive stage.)
All I want to recommend to your lesson plan is that since this is a political article. Some students might feel distance and have difficulty catching key words. The teacher could give some key words in advance like at pre-listening stage to help their listening. Also the teacher could tell some backgrounds of the article because this is USA event and this video is only about Obama's announcement. Lastly, when the teacher teaches about speech style at productive activity stage, he/she could use some examples of Koreans. (If they have it in English version, it'll be even better!!) Students could notice some different style between Korean people and Obama's. Hope the feedback helped you Very Happy
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Obama denounces former pastor

Post  Jung Yoojin on Wed Jun 04 2008, 21:26

First of all, it is somewhat original topic through this forum and I enjoyed listening this article related to newly coming election in U.S.A. I thought it is a indifferent topic for learners who are not quite familiar with political issues but as I read your lesson plans, your idea to learn politicians public speech style through students' own research within learning language is great. I also agree with Pilsu's opinion in that we do not have opportunities to learn how to speak or make a speech in public. So it is a good chance to experience speech in an indirect way.

It is helpful for learners to make some research on public speech to establish students' background knowledge. But I wonder how they can reasearch their projects in pre-listening stage in the classroom. Maybe if you give some assignments for them in previous day, you can use the research project in your classes.

In addition to your pre-listening activity, I fall in with your post-productive activity. Comparing Orbama's announcement style with students' speech can be helpful to improve their speaking ability and the way of speech. It is beneficial learning for their potential future life. Students can be encouraged to speak and feedback each other. And I would like to comment more on your productive activity. How about giving various speakers all over the world? Just comparing only Orbama's speech style could be limited to learn. Students might compare and contrast various styles of speeches in productive activity. Cool
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

reply to your lesson plan

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Jun 04 2008, 22:01

1. What I like about your video is that the speakers are using American accent. This would be especially good for Korean middle/ high school students who are already used to American accent. However, that might be a disadvantage in terms of getting used to various accents spoken around the world through lessons at school. In addition to the accent, I think the topic might be a little bit difficult for the people who are not interested in politics or who do not have any background knowledge about Barack Obama. However, you're using a recent news, so students would feel friendly about the topic, and also it would be good chance to learn about speech style.

2. I like your lesson plan because pre and post listening activities are well balanced. In those ways, students will be able to improve their speaking ability. I especially like your post-listening comprehension activities because students discuss and grasp the ideas in the news.

3. I have a few things that I don't understand clearly about the lesson plan. First of all, when students have discussion, do they speak in English? Second, when students talk about pro and cons, do they speak in front of the class one by one or do they speak in a group?

4. I think you should make it clear who this lesson is for. Also, I feel like the class will take a lot of time if you do all the activities at a time. Maybe, I think you can devide the plans or you can make the students write the essays at home as a homework.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:03

Hello~^^ Your topic is quite unique. I was grabbed to see how you're going to use it in class because it is certainly hard to deal with politics which students are not very much aware of. It might not be attract students, yet you will at least be able to give useful tips in learning English with the video.

While students can have a good chance to learn various sorts of speech and practice them, it looks pretty challenging. Above all, students should be ready enough to be in your class. They ought to be already knowledgable of both how to make a speech and the way of writing an essay in English for you will probably provide them with just a few instructions about them. Unless you teach really advanced students, you can have difficulties with making your plan work well. Most students are afraid of making a speech, even in front of their friends who they encounter everyday, and not interested in writing essays, either. Considering they know little about what they dislike without any intention to participate in the class, you'd better teach them basic, essential knowledge of speech and essay first. Then your students may follow what you do in class with less hesitation.

It was great getting to know your fresh ideas. Very Happy

Last edited by Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:52; edited 1 time in total
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Unique topic!

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:20

On first listening to your video news article, I was pretty shocked to know that you chose political news of America. Actually, while I was searching out for my class sources, I intentionlly didn't include the political ones because I felt it difficult to draw students' attention and make them understand the content. However, once I watched the video and went over your lesson plan, I have come to know that learning speech style in English is more meaningful than the content itself. So, your lesson plan gave me an different insight that I had never thought before, thanks a lot. By the way, i doubt if it will help students understand and guess what will be given in the next stage when you just give them the opportunity to research on public speech style in the pre-listening stage. I mean, I think you'd better add one more activity to build up students' background knowledge. Then, it will result in more effective learning to students, i think^^. Laughing rabbit Very Happy
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:53

My first impression of your video article is that it's different kind of article from what other people selected. Yes~~it's a speech. So there are many things to teach the differences from other kinds articles. In that point your choice is good. In addition, it's a good idea to give them experiences to prepare their coming chance in later life. It's very meaningful method.
But I think this one is a little difficult article so it is necessary for you to set the clear subject such as first grader in high school. Also I think it's more important for you to teach them vocabulary in advance, because the content of the video is a little hard for them to understand. If they don't understand it, they can't get involved in the activities you prepared. And I think your lesson plan can be just focused on the comprehension of the content because of the difficulty of it. If there are other interesting and easy methods to help them understand the content, the class is more exciting.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:54

I'm sorry to attach another post. It was my mistake. Shocked affraid
At first i post the same thing, but i can't delet it. So I just edit and make an apology.... affraid
Sorry anyway.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

wow, difficult topic :)

Post  sunnypine on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:22

I've been so interested in American's election news too. I watched this news too. But i thought this news will be so difficult to show to students. So i gave up! BUt you did!! Good job! First of all I like your post productive activities. That activity is really rare in Korea right? So I think your activity can be really unique and helpful. But I'm not sure which level of students can do that activities, because those activities look a little bit difficult. Shocked I'm sure, however, that's really good activity for students. I think students don't have enough knowledge about presidential election, so teacher needs to give some backfound first. So your pre listening activity is quite appropriate. Just I'm worried about doing this activity for low English level of students. Teachers may change some depending on the situation, right? good work!!!!
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down