Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu May 15 2008, 07:32

Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary of the video article

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 10:37

The news article is about Discovery's soon-to-launch Planet Green, one of the first channels dedicated to helping the environment. Planet Green is the rebranded Discovery Home channel and is a response to the success of eco-friendly programming on its current channel. The video briefly mentions Planet Green's two shows: One is "Wasted", in one episode of which the host is out to shame the family of 4 in order to change their not-so-earth-friendly habits, and the other is "Green Ovate," which celebrates home owners to have made eco-friendly home improvements. 'Green' is a really big issue and it's in the consciousness of all people now, so many advertisers like Home Depot and GM have lined up for the new channel. Planet Green will launch in the U.S. on June 4th, and much of its programming will be seen on Discovery channels around the world.
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-listening activities

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 10:43

First of all, if I can use this video during class, I would like to have my students watch it as part of the further study after reading the main text of Chapter 10. Buy Nothing Day from the textbook we currently deal with at school. I strongly believe that, when getting students prepared to listen, helping students get familiar with the topic by giving some background information is as important as letting them know key vocabulary words in advance. As you can see in the title, Chapter 10. Buy Nothing Day is about the International Buy Nothing Day Movement observed worldwide, which is intended to raise awareness of our mindless purchase and consumption habits. After learning about Buy Nothing Day, students can have an opportunity to think seriously about how our purchase and consumption affect the environment and what we can do to protect the environment. When students are guided to pay attention to the environment and green issues, they are much more likely to be interested in the video and understand it.

Also, in order to get my students more familiar with this specific topic of the video article, I would like to have them discuss the following questions in a small group of 4 or 5 before watching the video article.

1. There are many cable channels these days. What is your favorite one? A sports channel? A cartoon channel? Or an education channel?
2. What kind of shows can you expect to see on the channel named "Planet Green"?
3. Do you think these days protecting the environment is a big issue? Why or Why not?
4. What can you do to protect the environment and make the earth greener?

After the discussion, in order to make sure that students know some key words necessary to understand the article(about 10), I would like to get students to answer questions like the following:

Circle the best answer to complete the definition of each underlined word.
1. Wasted is part of the lineup of Discovery's soon-to-launch Planet Green.
To launch means ( ).
① to start ② to finish ③ to renew
2. Planet Green is a response to the success of eco-friendly programming on its current channel.
If something is eco-friendly, it is ( ).
① exciting and pleasing.
② not harmful to the environment.
③ producing a profit.

(Students first try to answer each question individually, and then check whether they got them right or wrong by comparing heir own answers with others in pairs or small groups. When making this kind of questions, I think it's better (and desirable) to give students sentences where key words are used than to present the words only. By doing so, we can help students try to guess the meaning of each key word in the given context.)
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post-listening comprehension activities

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 10:47

After watching the video article, a teacher can check whether students understood it right or not through a series of well-prepared comprehension checkup questions. Asking and answering questions cannot be the most exciting activity we can do in a classroom (sometimes it is a boring process), but I believe often it is one of the most useful and effective way to check students' comprehension and help them to understand correctly if there's any misunderstanding.

Comprehension checkup questions here can be divided into two groups: One is questions about the main ideas of the article, and the other is questions about details.

When students first watch the video article, they try to understand its main ideas only and answer the first set of questions like the following:

Watch the video article. Mark the statements T(true) or F(False).

( ) 1. Planet Green is one of the first channels dedicated to helping the environment.
( ) 2. Eco-friendly programming on Discovery Home channel was not that successful.
( ) 3. Many advertisers have lined up for Planet Green.
( ) 4. People are not that interested in protecting the environment.

Then, students watch the video again. This time they try to get more specific details and answer the other set of questions like the following:

Listen again. Circle the best answer to complete each sentence.

1. Annabelle Gurwitch is the host of the show ( ).
a. Wasted
b. Green Ovate
c. Home Depot

2. Annabelle Gurwitch called the family "Eco-criminals" in her show because they were spending ( ) a year in paper towels.
a. $80
b. $800
c. $8,000

3. Planet Green is the rebranded Discovery ( ) channel.
a. Health
b. Environment
c. Home[u]
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post-listening productive activity

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 10:50

The video article introduces Planet Green, one of the first channels dedicated to helping the environment and briefly mentions its two shows, "Wasted" and "Green Ovate." Like those two shows, in a small group of 4 students themselves are supposed to develop their own new creative show which will be aired on the channel Planet Green. Therefore, the new show is surely expected to have eco-friendly messages, which can raise awareness about environmental protection. Students are encouraged to make the show as original, interesting and educational as possible so that it can surely attract the attention and interest of the TV audience when the show is actually produced. After developing and designing their own show, each group is supposed to share their idea in front of the whole class. After listening to the ideas of every group, student will vote for the only one show that they really want to watch if the show can be really produced.

Students are expected to communicate genuinely in English while trying to complete the given task.
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What a good topic and an organized plan!

Post  billy on Thu May 22 2008, 12:49

I read through your summary and pre- and post-listening activities. It was an awesome topic and well-orgaznied plan to teach with. I think anyone can teach students through your plan right away. It really reflects your experienced teaching skill in your class. Once again, i envy your good management of the class through this well-thought-out plan. Just keep up the good work!!
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

that's really sutiable topic for teenagers

Post  Lee yujin on Wed May 28 2008, 20:34

Ji Young, Kim wrote:
The news article is about Discovery's soon-to-launch Planet Green, one of the first channels dedicated to helping the environment. Planet Green is the rebranded Discovery Home channel and is a response to the success of eco-friendly programming on its current channel. The video briefly mentions Planet Green's two shows: One is "Wasted", in one episode of which the host is out to shame the family of 4 in order to change their not-so-earth-friendly habits, and the other is "Green Ovate," which celebrates home owners to have made eco-friendly home improvements. 'Green' is a really big issue and it's in the consciousness of all people now, so many advertisers like Home Depot and GM have lined up for the new channel. Planet Green will launch in the U.S. on June 4th, and much of its programming will be seen on Discovery channels around the world.

your content of news is just for your students because as you said above enviroment will be the key to better future. So our students need to know how enviroment can be protected.

your pre-activity is well-organized especially in terms of integrating the cahpter of textbook. Students might get more benefits from this. Also one thing really impressive is that you let the students find out meanings of the words through the questions, not just teach them the meanings directly.

Post-activities- your comprehesive questions are good to find out whether students undersood the content right although it coud be boring a bit. Actually until now I also don't come up with the intersting and innovationg way to check students' comprehension.
The production activity will be much fun, but you shoub be careful when you feel studnets' proficiency is a little bit low, because this sort of activity can be difficult without the proper language and extra support.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News Article from Kim, Ji Young

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Mon Jun 02 2008, 10:19

1. There are so many cable channels, but I didn't know there's environment channels. I think it's the reflection of high interest in the environment of the globe. These days protection of environment is more valued than development. In the past, industrialization took priority, and environment was destroyed and polluted in the cost of development. But as people think of the quality of life, they began to consider a variety of measures to protect environment. This cable channel is one of those trial and it seems very educational for students, as well.

2. I'm highly impressed with your trial to connect the video news with the unit in the text book you're using in your school. This activity will be really meaningful and motivating for the students. And your pre-listening activities and post-listening comprehension activities are well-organized and detailed. If there is a teacher who use the same textbook in our course, he or she can use your lesson plan right now.

3. I understand your lesson plan fully and It's really well-arranged.

4. Some writing activities can be added. Students can write an article to encourage others to take actions to protect environments. The more persuasive the article is, the better.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Jun 02 2008, 10:57

I think your idea is very useful and skillful.
And I must say that what you'd like to use it is very good. Some years ago, I used the same kind of book you are using right now. At that time, I had had this class, I would have use it like you. Honestly speaking, you are so genious. I like it. As the preview, it is the perfect instance you can use.
And the following activities are also useful for students to understand what they will be facing in short time in the reading article.
And this news is also very helpful to students in this wasting world.
They should know what is going on in this world and furthermore they must be aware of it then.

In the post listening activities, the T/F questions are most vital roles to students because the students need to check what they understood by being asked in English.
Also, you make students approach the top-down processing, so that they can be confident at first and then try to focus on more specific details.^^

In the post- listening productive actitivity, You said that you would force students to make their own film for the show. I think most students will be interested in what they would do. Once agian, I like it.

But there is one thing I would like to mention. That is the fact that if you use it as an additional use for the main text in reading part, I think you would need to get a writing part as well, such as some kind of boarding table that explains how students to make the film for themsevles, etc.

Besides, you speak English so fluently that I am so envy you.^^ flower

Ji Young, Kim wrote:First of all, if I can use this video during class, I would like to have my students watch it as part of the further study after reading the main text of Chapter 10. Buy Nothing Day from the textbook we currently deal with at school. I strongly believe that, when getting students prepared to listen, helping students get familiar with the topic by giving some background information is as important as letting them know key vocabulary words in advance. As you can see in the title, Chapter 10. Buy Nothing Day is about the International Buy Nothing Day Movement observed worldwide, which is intended to raise awareness of our mindless purchase and consumption habits. After learning about Buy Nothing Day, students can have an opportunity to think seriously about how our purchase and consumption affect the environment and what we can do to protect the environment. When students are guided to pay attention to the environment and green issues, they are much more likely to be interested in the video and understand it.

Also, in order to get my students more familiar with this specific topic of the video article, I would like to have them discuss the following questions in a small group of 4 or 5 before watching the video article.

1. There are many cable channels these days. What is your favorite one? A sports channel? A cartoon channel? Or an education channel?
2. What kind of shows can you expect to see on the channel named "Planet Green"?
3. Do you think these days protecting the environment is a big issue? Why or Why not?
4. What can you do to protect the environment and make the earth greener?

After the discussion, in order to make sure that students know some key words necessary to understand the article(about 10), I would like to get students to answer questions like the following:

Circle the best answer to complete the definition of each underlined word.
1. Wasted is part of the lineup of Discovery's soon-to-launch Planet Green.
To launch means ( ).
① to start ② to finish ③ to renew
2. Planet Green is a response to the success of eco-friendly programming on its current channel.
If something is eco-friendly, it is ( ).
① exciting and pleasing.
② not harmful to the environment.
③ producing a profit.

(Students first try to answer each question individually, and then check whether they got them right or wrong by comparing heir own answers with others in pairs or small groups. When making this kind of questions, I think it's better (and desirable) to give students sentences where key words are used than to present the words only. By doing so, we can help students try to guess the meaning of each key word in the given context.)
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin on Mon Jun 02 2008, 19:48

1. This topic is closely related with environment. It is so educational. But it's not boring. In contrast, it is so interesting because this news introduces shows which persuades people to be eco-friendly.

2. i like the idea that you relate this news with the content in your textbook. This news can supplement the textbook and motivate the students.
And I also like your productive post-listening activity-making their own show. ji-young, you have mentioned the reward students get when their ideas are chosen. In your activity, one show is chosen by others. it must be a good reward and motivater.
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed Jun 04 2008, 07:48

I think you are a smart and passionate English teacher. I was so impressed by your lesson plan. When it comes to this final exam, I have never thought about relating this project to my school textbook. I really hope you adapt this plan to your students and let us know how it was.

And the first and second questions you asked Ss to talk about are very simple and concrete so they can feel more confident and easy to speak. Also the 3rd and 4th questions are good to make them think about the environment and make them motivated.

And about the vocabulary questions, I really enjoyed it. Most teachers here presented some key words or taught words directly before watching the clip. But your plan is very good to build their ability to guess meaning in context. I very much enjoyed your lesson plan.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed Jun 04 2008, 07:53

About Post-listeining activity

I like you idea to devide the questions into two parts. By seperating them, first they only focus on get the main idea and then they can focus on detail information about it. It would lesson their inbibition about listening.

I really want to hear from you about the class!!
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:24

Hello~* Like a Star @ heaven

Wow, this is really an exciting news! Exclamation I think it's an awakening program for many people in States(and possibly around the world) and also an educative and helpful channel for people at any age. There's a similar program in Korea where celebrities randomly visit houses and offices to check rather they're using electricity properly or not and give them advices on using it. I've seen couple times and some of advices were things that we didn't even notice or acknowledge in real lives. It launched yesterday and hopefully we'll get to watch the show on Discovery channel soon. I think it'll be great if Korean TV starts to air similar program like this one too.

I think the topic is well chosen because it's easy for students to approach and they're aware of the wasting problem and its seriousness.(Most students also know about how to save or reduce waster but like the phrase, 'Saying is one thing and doing another.')

Your lesson plan is very precise and in details that students will follow stages with interest and ease. I especially like the post-listening productive activity because it was very similar to the one I had in mind when I first watched this video!! ^^ Just one thought, I had an idea that it could be even more interesting and fun if students also include whom they wanted to invite on their show. It'll be more realistic, fun, and attract students' attention if they have details like, for example, "I'd have 000(celebrity maybe) host the show because he/she has an image or talent to....".

That was just what I had in my mind and hope it helped you a little!! Very Happy king
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for your advice!

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:16

Thanks for commenting on my lesson plan. ^^
And I like your idea. Students are very interested in celebrities, so they might find the job more fun if they are told they can invite anyone they want to their own show. Thanks.

Boyun Park wrote:Hello~* Like a Star @ heaven

Wow, this is really an exciting news! Exclamation I think it's an awakening program for many people in States(and possibly around the world) and also an educative and helpful channel for people at any age. There's a similar program in Korea where celebrities randomly visit houses and offices to check rather they're using electricity properly or not and give them advices on using it. I've seen couple times and some of advices were things that we didn't even notice or acknowledge in real lives. It launched yesterday and hopefully we'll get to watch the show on Discovery channel soon. I think it'll be great if Korean TV starts to air similar program like this one too.

I think the topic is well chosen because it's easy for students to approach and they're aware of the wasting problem and its seriousness.(Most students also know about how to save or reduce waster but like the phrase, 'Saying is one thing and doing another.')

Your lesson plan is very precise and in details that students will follow stages with interest and ease. I especially like the post-listening productive activity because it was very similar to the one I had in mind when I first watched this video!! ^^ Just one thought, I had an idea that it could be even more interesting and fun if students also include whom they wanted to invite on their show. It'll be more realistic, fun, and attract students' attention if they have details like, for example, "I'd have 000(celebrity maybe) host the show because he/she has an image or talent to....".

That was just what I had in my mind and hope it helped you a little!! Very Happy king
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well-organized, clear and detailed lesson plan!

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:49

I could feel that you had spent a good deal of time designing that lesson plan, which shows every specific and concrete way to be delivered in the class. Most of all, I was impressed your relating the school textbook to the authentic materials. You know, this reminds me of one of the classes from the last semester when you presented using authentic materials as pre-listening activities in front of the class. At that time, I thought that will surly intrigue students interests as a pre-listening material, and tried to adapt to my lesson plan. However, due to the lack of actual training in the class, I could not make mine as sohpistgaetd and refined as yours. So, I envy your abilities of organizing the class with care. And I believe yours is such well-structured plans taht I think errors, if any, will be found only after teaching the class, and I expect those kinds of errors will be just minor ones that can be handled through the class. king lol! cheers
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good work!

Post  Oksun on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:46

Hi,Jiyoung.
I think you well connected the environment issue into your ongoing lesson at school.
It could get students to be motivated and get interested in the video by evoking their attention. I think it's a good try! You tried to have students learn vocabularies in context. Students can make sensible guesses by investigating the given clues and therefore students may infer the meaning of the target words. You showed comprehension check-up questions for post-listening stage. I think those questions made by the teacher are a sort of demanding work, sometimes.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down