jangdj
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

final exam step 2

Post  jangdj on Wed May 21 2008, 23:36

summary
No ideal weather to play outside , inappropiate diet, and lack of parental supervising, those combination of reasons are incresing obessity rate in the childern age groupin U.K. The researcher from the forum states that several factors such as no safe place kids can play outside ,wrong diet parental indifference make chubby kids and that is not good. Government is suuporting gym for the kids and their is commercial move for this new little but heavy customers.

Prelistening activity: Let students learn the words and expressions that are related to the contents and add ground knowledges for students' better understanding.

Post listening activities. Give them a task to prove the contents of the clip appropiately.
e.g summary the contents in the their mother toungue :It take off anxiety that they should write in something in second language which is unnecessary to prove that they understood.

Post listening activity for production.
Let the students rephrapharse the given contents. This activity aims to expand students' lingustic repartories. Students should rewrite phargraph and they are not allowed to use same words in the given writing as long as it does not hurt original meaning. They should come up with synonym, covert general verb to phrasal verb, phrasal verb to general verb , active form to passive one ,divide one complicated sentence into several simple sentences, change big words to plain words and so on so far.
jangdj
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hot issue nowdays

Post  Lee yujin on Wed May 28 2008, 21:08

jangdj wrote:summary
No ideal weather to play outside , inappropiate diet, and lack of parental supervising, those combination of reasons are incresing obessity rate in the childern age groupin U.K. The researcher from the forum states that several factors such as no safe place kids can play outside ,wrong diet parental indifference make chubby kids and that is not good. Government is suuporting gym for the kids and their is commercial move for this new little but heavy customers.

Prelistening activity: Let students learn the words and expressions that are related to the contents and add ground knowledges for students' better understanding.

Post listening activities. Give them a task to prove the contents of the clip appropiately.
e.g summary the contents in the their mother toungue :It take off anxiety that they should write in something in second language which is unnecessary to prove that they understood.

Post listening activity for production.
Let the students rephrapharse the given contents. This activity aims to expand students' lingustic repartories. Students should rewrite phargraph and they are not allowed to use same words in the given writing as long as it does not hurt original meaning. They should come up with synonym, covert general verb to phrasal verb, phrasal verb to general verb , active form to passive one ,divide one complicated sentence into several simple sentences, change big words to plain words and so on so far.

This news is really hotly focused nowadays. Frist of all, sudents might feel autheticity because it's one of their problems and concerns. Second thsy can learn more practical words and expressions. But you should be careful when you present the topic because it could offend some studnets who especially suffer from obesity.

For pre-activity how about using some reading material to stimulate students' schmata or some pictures , not just present the meanigns directly. Through this students nataully acquire the words.

your post activites are really good to improve students' liguistic competence. They camo to learn how to summarize and get the gist without anxiety!!
Especially re-writing can be good activity to integrate listening ,writing and grammar because to paraphraze properly students should know essential grammar rules and structure. but I think you can also use open discussion on the topic which improve critical thinking as well as speaking ability. they must have a lot fo stories and experiences related with the topic.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu on Thu May 29 2008, 11:02

Hi, Duk-joo. I think the video you picked is very appropriate to secondary level students because the topic shown was concerning obesity among teenagers in U.K., which itself is a big problem in Korea as well. Also I think the words and expressions in the video are not so difficult that students might be able to understand it if they try.

I like your post-listening comprehension activity where teacher asks students to summarize the content in "Korean." If the purpose of this activity is simply to check whether they understood what it was about, I think it's perfectly alright and psychologically might be of help to do that, alleviating students' anxiety to speak English. I also think your productive activity is also a very good idea and challenging because students can brainstorm so many words they've studied so far and use them when they are paraphrasing. On the other hand, that activity might increase some students' anxiety, especially if the students don't even understand the original contents.

Your lesson plan is quite good. I think it would be better if you add 'explaining graph in English activity'. In the video I've seen the graph about the rates of obesity among teenagers. I think if you suggest another similar graph and ask your students to read and explain it English, it would be very helpful and challenging.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: final exam video clips from jang deuk ju

Post  kim young-ah on Thu May 29 2008, 11:29

Hi Jang dj....^^
Your video news are my interest, too. Nowadays students as well as adults are interested in their good shape. So you picked it properly.

In order to relieve the burden, students can summarize the content in Korean. It has no burden and I like it. But if they can listen to the content a little, can they summarize and reorganize the article? Rather, I suggest you that you prepare some information about the news like key words, relevant articles, filling in the blanks...etc. May be you thought my suggestions are old-fashioned....And there's another tough thing. Rewriting the content with synonyms, and so on is very hard task, I think. Sorry !!!! I wish you had some more plans...
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback.. ^^

Post  Kyeong-im on Mon Jun 02 2008, 22:04

Dear dj

The weight, it is everybody's concern and most people want to be look slim. Even some skinny think that they have to lose weight. To achieve their goals(weight) they do so many things. On the other hand, as your video said, it's easy to see obese children owing to inappropriate diet, lack of parental supervising and so on. It's so contradictory.

Anyway, I like the part, summary of this video using their native language. It's difficult to find whether students understand video or not. Teacher doesn't know students can understand it or not in case that students who comprehends it can't speak well in second language. It's true. So we(teachers) can focus on more detailed things by letting them say in mother tongue.

You said it's not allowed to use same words when students rephrase the content. Then is there any exception? If they couldn't find proper words what should they do? It may causes stress to them.

In your lesson plan, you integrate listening and writing skills. How about using the others, speaking and reading?(I don't think speaking activity is involved in your plan because it is done by mother tongue.)
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk on Wed Jun 04 2008, 10:48

Your topic might be able to be in the center of all people's attention, because they do care their appearances and their health, and child obesity is not only problem for the western countries like UK but for people in Asia like Korea as well..
Above all, I think your idea about making students summarize this clip in Korean is good for Ss' better understanding..also in the part of productive activity with paraphrasing of this clip might give them a perfect chance of reviewing some vocabularies and phrases and even writing if they can get some time for brainstorming about synonyms and expressions before actual their activity(like as a pre-listening, teacher can give a chance to Ss to talk about this situation in other countries like Korea..through this process, they can be informed with some words or idioms which are related to this topic, and it can be a way for their speaking practice at the same time since it's needed to be done in English..)..
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

good work!

Post  sunnypine on Wed Jun 04 2008, 22:47

Hello, Dj! It was nice and important lesson plan. First of all, your video was very interesting. That topic is becoming big issue in Korea too, so many students will be very curious about their story. Therefore, I think this video is really good for your class. Secondly, your pre listening activity was really good for students. Those activities will be really helpful for the students. Also I was very impressed by your post comprehension. I never thought we can summarize the topic in Korean. I don't know if that will be effective way of learning English but I agree with your opinion. Using Korean to summarize will make nervous students relieve their tension. So I thought this idea is kinda interesting. However, your lesson plans are actually very difficult for students. There are not many fun activities or real acive activities. Rolling Eyes For high level of students will have fun with your lesson plan by rephrapharsing and using other words. However, for low level of students, they will just feel nervous and bored. So we need to set the specific level of students first.
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

losing weight ~~~

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Jun 04 2008, 23:35

1. I think this news article will be effective for students because weight is one of the most considered problems by teenagers, and the listeners are teenagers. However, this news article can challenge students who are not used to British English accent, but the content is interesting.

2. What I like about your lesson plan is that you cared about learner's anxiety. I understand students' English is not perfect, so they can make mistakes. By summarizing in Korean, they can have more chance to express their understanding in language. Also, I like the way you approach English writing. With the particular conditions that you mentioned in your post-listening activity for production, the students will be able to try various writing style.

3. I just wonder whether students are well trained about writing in English. When students write according to the conditions that you mentioned, some students may get confused because they do not understand the direction. Also, after the students write the summary in English, are they supposed to get the proofreading?

4. As one of post-listening activities for production, you can ask your students to bring some brilliant ideas about losing weight effectively. You can put the students in group to discuss it. And, as one of pre-listening activities, you can talk about the seriousness of obesity in human health to draw attention from the students.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Um... Hey~yo~man~ (look at your picture!^^)

Post  jihyun on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:39

I totally understand the situation of U.K and I am also worrying about that.
As you can see, there are no safe place for young children to play or hang around with
their friends. That means, the more competitive and dangerous the world becomes,
the more children become unhealthy and obese.
I hope this situation get better soon. Anyway....

Regarding your lesson plan, I think your post-listening activitiy is really new. We seldomly
apply this method. I am sure most of the teachers let their students write down what they
learned in English even if it only can be very short such as two or three sentences.
But as you said, we have to think about the anxiety, afffective domain. If we let them
wirte down the summary in Korean(L1) they can get much relief and write down better.

In your pre-listening activity, I just wonder how you will teach new words and expressions
to your students. Which method will you use? for example inductive or deductive? I think your idea to teach them words, expressions and background knowledge is good. But we
can not know how you will do.^^;; And I think your post-listening activity is a
little bit difficult to low-level students.

If you don't mind, I would like to say that you can use front-and-back paper sheet
method which Jason used during our class listening time.
In the front page, you can write down exactly same as the news reporter says and in the back of that sheet, you can paraphrase the contents, using synonyms, phrasal verbs and passive or active vioces which are different from the front sheet. Then ask students
what expressions are the same. By doing this way, you can lift a burden. Surprised
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You did good job!!

Post  Kang Eunmi on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:17

Hello~ mate!!
I like your lesson plan, especially your pre-listening and post-listening activities.
To make students understant about the topic, teachers need to give them the back ground of the article as you mentioned. After that, they can catch easily what they are going to do.
And "anxiety", I totally agree your opinion. Sometimes students get too much stressed to write something in English. But, as you said, for better understanding, it doesn't need to do at all. Your students will have fun and feel relaxed in your class.
You did good job!! Man~!!
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down