Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Kim Eun-Jung

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Thu May 22 2008, 10:23

1. Summary of the video

Astronauts wanted: Astronauts are required for international space station. Applicants must be between 27 and 37, have a pilot's medical certificate and advanced science degree and speak Russian. The European space agency's expecting up to 50,000 applicants and the recruitment process takes 6 months. The pay is $80,000 per year. But job security's maybe in jeopardy. The life of space station is only guaranteed until 2015.

2. Pre-listening activities

As a motivating activity, students look at some pictures on TV screen and talk about them.

Picture 1 - The pictures of the first astronaut of Korea, Lee So-yeon

Expected student's comments

A: I'm proud of her. As a Korean, she ranked with astronauts from different countries.

B: I watched the launch scene with breathless interest because she was the first case in Korea.

C: Seeing her, I've got to be interested in the job of astronauts and I have a dream of being an astronaut. I also want to explore the universe.

Picture 2 - Photos of the Earth sent from the international space station

Expected student's comments

A: It's wonderful. Seen from the universe, the Earth is really beautiful.

B: I heard we'll be able to take a trip to the universe in the future. Then I'll be able to take pictures like those as a tourist.

C: That'll be exciting.

3. Post-listening comprehension activities

Students solve comprehension check-up quiz

A. What is the required age limit? Between 27 and 37

B. Which is true about the astronaut recruitment? (a)

(a) They need advanced science degree.

(b) They should be able to speak English.

(c) They are going to work in Russia if they are selected.

(d) European space agency started 20 years ago.

C. What kind of majors do they need? engineering or science

D. How many applicants are expected? 50,000

E. How long does the recruitment take? 6 months

4. Post-listening productive activities

Group activities - preparing for interview simulation

Before the class, all the students are given the reading materials about the universe exploration and the life of astronauts. Students make a group of six. In each group, three members take the role of astronaut wannabes, and three the role of astronauts. Wannabes read the materials and make questions, and astronauts read the materials and prepare answers to the expected questions. Then interview simulation starts.

Expected interview scene

Wannabe(W): What kind of qualities do astronauts need?

Astronaut(A): Astronauts should be people who feel the urge to explore and discover what are unknown to us. Also, they should be people who are ready for surprises because the astronauts' jobs have many surprises. And of course you should have proper professional background.

W: It would be a thrill to be an astronaut and have the opportunity to fly in space. At the same time, there seems to be a tremendous amount of stress that accompanies the job. Could you tell us about it?

A: There are many difficulties for me and my family to overcome at times. For instance, the travel to other countries, the long training hours, and long period of time spent in space were difficult at times.

W: What is one technology from Science Fiction that you wish were to be in use today for NASA?

A: We need a transporter or warp drive!

Last edited by Kim Eun-jung on Wed May 28 2008, 05:16; edited 1 time in total

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  billy on Thu May 22 2008, 12:55

First, your topic is timely and interesting in that Lee, So-yeon just came back from the space station, so people have paid the greatest attention ever to this topic. Students will be esaily attracted to this topic. What a nice choice!

Second, your summary is concise and to the point. I envy your good English thinking and writin skill. I can easily understand what the video clip is about without resorting to the precise script.

Third, your pre-and post-listening activities are really authetic and applicable without hesitation. I can even enjoy this listening activity in my current class. The questions are really going to the central topic while touching every key issues.

What a good job! Let's keep up the good work!
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin on Mon Jun 02 2008, 19:25

1. The topic is in accordance with current issue, so the students will be interested in it. I was also curious about this news. I was wondering about the astronauts-especially about how they are chosen and how much money they get.

2. Especially I like your productive post-listening activity-interview.In that activity, students' reading and listening ability can be improved.And students may feel interested being an astronaut.Moreover they have to experience interview for job or school entrance in the future. It will be helpful a lot for them.
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback.. ^^

Post  Kyeong-im on Mon Jun 02 2008, 22:27

Dear Eun-jung,

Anyone might dream of themselves to go space. In my case I had dreamed when I saw animation 원더키디.(I'm sorry but I don't know its correct meaning or words) So students are likely to be interested in this video, I think. The dream, wish of most people, come true. As you know well the first astronaut in Korea Lee So-yeon did it. Although, this time, she is the only person I hope more people will do it in the future.

Productive activity, interview simulation, is very good. I'm touched. ^^ By doing this, students can practice speaking and writing as well as criticize questions and answers. They, I think, might do the same things in the future to get a job. Good experience in advance.

What I want you to clarify is listening activity itself. How many time do students listen the video? How do you show it to students?

Although I like this activity it is a little limited(interview simulation). In the classroom, there are so many students. If one students play a role as interviewer, does he have another chance to be interviewee? If so, then, it may take so many time. If not, he can't help listening others' role-play. To do it effectively, we need more time and detailed plans. I hope you use it with long-term plan.
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Looks so exciting!^^

Post  Bae Sung-han on Tue Jun 03 2008, 05:33

I must say that students will love it and this activities because it isn't just a dream they can imagine. I think video news is so interesting for them to be absolutely intrigued.
In the first part, you are going to show them some photos related to the space, astronauts and So-eun Lee. This is a good idea to help students to get a general idea and draw their atttentions to the lesson.
They will be excited!
And in the simulation part, I think students might be more active than ever because 18 year old students are a bit extraordinary. And they might be looking for this kind of information to fulfill their needs.
Despite of the fact that students are so intrested about this lesson, however, you seems not to involve their activities too much. When you try out the simulation in the post-productive activity, why don't you engage in it with students as one of sophisticated astronauts? If so, they will learn much information from you and learn how to say such a particular case.^&^
Good job! flower
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Tue Jun 03 2008, 09:53

Above all, the video content is good enough to catch the eyes of the students. These days the story of the space shown by Ms. Lee is issue around the people, so it is a good choice. Also I like your post listening activity. It is really associated with the real life. Since the students should undergo that kind of situation to get a job in the later life, the activity is a good chance to exercise the simulation.
But in the pre-listening activity, if they don't have any or enough background knowledge, they can't convey their feeling about the pictures using the proper vocabulary. So I think you'd better present the related vocabulary and expressions first in case. And what about giving them proper time they can discuss about the space, astronauts or science related to the space life using the expressions they learned through the video? If they have the time to talk about their curiosity with other students freely, they are much more involved in the class I think.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wanted : Astronauts

Post  Jung Yoojin on Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:45

It's really interesting to listen this news. I never thought there is an advertisment looking for astronauts(because it is professional realm). But I think your topic is enough to please students and to allure learners' attention. Probably they are eager to learn ^^. In addtion to content, your pre-listening looks great related to the first astronauts Lee so yeon. Students must be motivated to speak and comment on the picture. I would like to recommend you one thing in this activity. If you are doing this in groups instead of whole-class work, students would have more opportunities to interact with other learners. And your post-listening activity for comprehension is simple and neat. I think it's good for learners to check their comprehension simply and quickly. I also enjoyed your productive activity, your outline is very clear and reasonable , it is easy to understand even I feel like a student^^ Interview is great idea for learners in astronauts shoes. They will really enjoy it and they do not hesitate to speak. I think if your give that interview activity in pairs, it would be great! We should bear in mind we need to give students opportunities as much as possible for their interaction. Make students take turns when they are finished their interviews.[I would recommend you]
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Students will surely have a lot of fun!!

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 07:42

Because of Lee So Yeon, these days many people in Korea are more interested in space and being a cosmonaut than ever, so I think this news article will surely attract students' attention and interest quite easily.

I like your overall lesson plan, and my favorite is the idea about the post-listening group activity. Students often enjoy mini-dramas and role plays, so both the participants in the simulation and the audience will have a lot of fun. And this kind of interview situation is the one students are likely to encounter in the real world in a couple of years after the graduation, so this activity must be useful in getting students prepared for the future job getting process.

Often high shool Egnlish class here is full of boring activities like grammar work, translatiion and dealing with reading comprehesion questions. But giving students opportunities for genuine communication through the group activities like the one you mentioned, we can help students feel more intersted in English and improve their actual English proficiency.
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good topic

Post  Lee yujin on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:00

You chose the appropriate topic for young students, because in korea, we have been really excited about astraurants and space science because of Lee soyeun. Students will be easily engaged in this topic and show their interests in it.

Your pre-listening activity is well-designed to stimulate students' baskground knowledge amd express their opinion on the topic. but I you can give more specific help them to prepare up-coming listening activity. so how about using the technique that asks studnets to guess the words they don't know.

I think using multiple-questions for checking students' comprehension is quick and convenient way, but you need to spend more time to make the good questions. so I think you can put some open-ended questions for more advanced studnets.

discussion is good way to improve studnets' creative thinkings and fluency. but some studnets might feel difficult to express thier opinions. You need to give them some tome to prepare.
Or you can employ some free writing activity.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:01

This article is connected with the story of the first korean astronaut, 이소연. Related to this latest news, this article might get a high popularity.

I like your lesson plan in that materials and contents are used many times in advance of the listening activity. Also, the interview scene in the post-listening activity will motivate students to know knowledge about space such as weightlessness and peculiar characteristics. Through this activity, I think that students have great chance to extend their information.

And if you add some form-focused teaching including vocabularies and grammars, it seems to be a perfect lesson plan. ^^ alien
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Boyeun on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:30

Astronauts are issued these days since Lee soyoun ,the first get to space station in korean, is very famouse for childrend. So the fist activities showing the viedo over Lee soyeun is apporiate for attracting students. Most of all the simulation interview is very helpful for speaking ablities. If they speak about it they totally understand about this article and look through the knowledge of astrinauts. Also, to prepare interview students have to learn how to public speech style. I think that this activities make students to improve Englsh ablility.
Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The dream of children!!

Post  jihyun on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:11

Um.,, It was quiet interesting story. I didn't know astronauts are chosen by that way.
As I thought, students surly will be interested in that story. It's about the astronauts,
the dream of all children. So, I think your news are good enough to attract children's
attention.

I am of the opinion that your post-listening productive activity is really good.
Doing some role-play is fun and effective way to teach English. But just doing it without
giving any information is not good way to do, I think. Even though students have ablility
to speak English, it can be possible that they don't have any background information or
contents to talk about. So giving them information to read and setting them to ready
to answer the questions is good way to make the role play more effective.

However, I think your post-listening comprehension task is quiet typical and simple.
I just wonder wheter they can anwer those questions without having new words and expressions. For this, you can give them some short script beforehand.

I also think that to make your post-listening comprehension activity more genuine,
you can give them some astronaut-wanted advertisement in the newspaper or magazine.
Of course there are some blanks in the advertisement. Students have to take memo while
they listening or remeber the qulification for the astronaut and fill the advertisement at the end of listehing. How about this? ^^;; I hope you like it.
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down