Final Exam: Video News from Park, Saang-yung

Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Park, Saang-yung

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Wed May 14 2008, 16:44

Nov. 15 - South Korean students sit for crucial exams as anxious parents turn to God for help.

Thousands of students sat for their college entrance exams all over South Korea on Thursday (November 15). The competition for university acceptance in South Korea is intense.

This year about 600,000 students will be taking the exams. But barely fifty-percent of the students will get a seat in the country's top universities.

http://www.reuters.com/resources/flash/includevideo.swf?edition=US&videoId=70847" width="344" height="320">http://www.reuters.com/resources/flash/includevideo.swf?edition=US&videoId=70847" />http://www.reuters.com/resources/flash/includevideo.swf?edition=US&videoId=70847" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="344" height="320">
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Thu May 22 2008, 13:58

It is very important to get high scores from "College Scholastic Aptitude Test" (C-SAT) in Korea. On the C-SAT day, students need all the help in order to excel in the exam. Anxious parents and junior students cheer them on the outside of exam halls. Parents pray for help around the exam halls, temples, and churches. Academic achievement is very important and let a student not only get a job in blue chip companies but also a spouse. The result of C-SAT has an enormous effect on the future of students socially and economically.
Only 50% students get seats in elite Universities. Most parents prayed in the temple and church so that nothing goes wrong during the kids' test. Some of parents took part in 100 day―pray program at least so that the students won't be nervous in the exam halls. All they can do for the students is just a pray.
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1. Pre-listening Activity

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Thu May 22 2008, 13:59

1) To promote students' interest, teacher asks several questions or polls students on their opinions as following;

* What college do you want to go to?
* What is your dream after graduating from high school?
* How many days do you have by your "College Scholastic Aptitude Test(C-SAT)" day?
* What is the powerful support for your study to enter college?

2) Discuss and Imagine your C-SAT(Sooneung) day.
In this activity, they make each group with 4-6 people and exchange their imaginations each other for 5 min. One person in each group summarize and announce the gathering ideas.
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2. Post-listening Comprehension Activity

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Thu May 22 2008, 14:00

Post-listening Activity is somewhat overlapped with While-listening Activity. As our class did, I think Dicto-gloss is a very effective way to grasp the whole meaning on the video clip. Secondly, I make a good application of Jason's Finding Out Worksheet.
1) Dicto-gloss :
At first, they will watch the video clip while listening carefully.
Second, they will write down main ideas, words and expressions from the 2nd listening.
Third, They can ask me a few questions about what they heard. Teacher will answer just a brief answer to each question.
Fourth, students will given another chance to catch the details about the video clip.
Fifth, It is a little flexible whether teacher will give this process. If students want the narration from the video clip, students could be given another chance to catch the details.

2) Finding Out Worksheet.

In the worksheet, teacher will suggest several comprehensive questions.

For example,
Q 1 : How many days do the anxious parents pray in Buddist temple for kids' C-SAT test?
Student's Answer : .......
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

3. Post-listening productive activities

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Thu May 22 2008, 14:01

1) Group Talking about the topic will continue for 5 min. They exchange each understood meaning and correct something to have been heard if they had.

2) They will meet another member to catch others' experience on the day of Sooneung (C-SAT). They probably experienced brother or sister's C-SAT day or other acquaintances' From the experience they can gather the most surprising or touching episodes. Teacher let any volunteer present the episodes on Sooneung's day. Some excellent volunteers will be given candies as reward.

3) Final Dictation in blank word sentences : To evaluate their listening abilities, teacher make them listen to video clip sound. Then, students have to fill the blanks on the imperfect script as many as possible.
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback

Post  Lee Pilsu on Mon May 26 2008, 06:40

Hello, Mr. Park. I think your students will surely be interested in the video because they are someday going to be taking the college entrance exams. Thus, I presume they will pay a special heed to the news article if you use it in your class.
Indeed, there are so many parts in your lesson plan that impressed me. Especially I like the four questions in pre-listening activity No.1 because they are pretty easy ones that students can answer by saying a few words or simple sentences. Also they are so close-related with students' reality that they will have a lot of things to say. That's important because if students don't have any ideas about a certain topic, they can't speak even though their English is quite good.
Your lesson plan is already very good. But I think it would be better if you move your productive activity No.3 to post-listening comprehension activity because filling in the blanks is kind of for the purpose of enhancing learners' comprehension.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Very interesting news story~

Post  jihyun on Wed May 28 2008, 11:03

Wow~ Was there this kind of news? I didn't see it. Thank you for letting me watch this interesting news, Mr. saang-yung . I could imagine that someday some other countries will make our SAT as their news topic. Finally that day has come.^^ I just wonder whether there are some countries which regard this test as important as we do. Anyway, it's quiet
interesting to watch this content in Reuters' news. For the students, this is the most
important matter at this moment. So, I am sure they will concerate on this topic more than any other topics.

In terms of Lesson plan, I like your pre-listening activity.
I am of the opinion that students should not worry about their understanding ability before they listen to the news, same as Mijin. In this aspect, I think letting them think about their own ideas is really good for preparing background knowledge and activate their motivation.

But, something just comes to my mind. How about modifing or adding your pre-listening activity questions a little bit more interesting? For instance, What will you change, if you are a Minister of Education? or What kind of test will you make if you can make the SAT test? I think this sorts of questions are much fun to answer. Then, we can expect students to participate more activily.

And I am just wondering wheter there are any tasks related to words or expressions or not. Do you think you don't need to teach this things during this lessons?
Your lesson plans are wonderful, but I am just a little bit worrying about students' general ablilty to listen and understand the novel news. ^^
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Park, Saang-yung

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Wed May 28 2008, 17:34

But, something just comes to my mind. How about modifing or adding your pre-listening activity questions a little bit more interesting? For instance, What will you change, if you are a Minister of Education? or What kind of test will you make if you can make the SAT test? I think this sorts of questions are much fun to answer. Then, we can expect students to participate more activily.

I agree yo your idea in 100 % related to the above passage....^^ Thank you>>>
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

U changed your photo! ^^

Post  Jung Yoojin on Mon Jun 02 2008, 22:24

It is glad to see your changed photo! It's good~! I listend your video with sympathy. These scenes are beautiful but sad aren't they?? The Korean SAT test day is one of the biggest ceremony in Korea, it can be a glorious day or it can be a gloomy day. It is tantalizeing to see that students' fate will be settled by just onle C-SAT. haha.
(I was too emotionally comment about it sorry~ )
First, this news is very sympathetic content with students(especially for high school students), they and their parents are going to do that. This content can make students pay attention to the video but to some extent it is a little bit sensitive context. ^^*
What I like your lesson plan is your pre-listening activity. Giving some questions concerns their potential tests and career can elicit their attention to think and to concentrate your class. And your post-listening activity for production, it is very good to share learners' experiences altogether apart from the English class. I haven't thought sharing episodes in class. And the last interesting is your rewards! When you implement this activity students are eager to volunteer each other, it encourages students work active.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Wed Jun 04 2008, 12:37

Hello~*

Wow, this is the kind of news we've been watching around college entrance exam day (usually in Nov) in Korea for many many years. I think for most of us Korean students, this praying and scenes from video aren't strange at all but sometimes wonder how foreigners look at it. Just watching the video reminded me of my days of cheering in front of the school for seniors and when myself was going into that gate to take the test. Exclamation

I think this is a story that probably all students(especially in Korea) are eager to talk or at least say something about. The topic is appropriate for students and so is your lesson plan!!(Maybe it's another result of your many wonderful years of teaching experience?? ^^) Very Happy

I think your lesson plan is very great but especially where students discuss and imagine C-SAT day in pre-listening activity. All students will have to take the test and it'll be a good chance to actually prepare and imagine that very day in advance. Also, students are all in same situations so they won't hesitate nor feel left out while having this group talk in English.

If there's a little thing I'd like to add, that is on post-productive activity stage 2), the interviewing part.(I actually got this idea from a classmate's feedback to my video) Similar to what you've mentioned, students can have English interview with elders or people who already took the C-SAT in advance and share the story with classmates. Also, the teacher has many experiences of watching students on that day, so he/she can tell students the story from teacher's point of view.(This can help student's listening in English)

Hope my reply helped you!! sunny
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Wed Jun 04 2008, 13:30

Your video is so controvercial in Korea. I am sure if you are going to use it for learning English, they will be so focusing on it. After all, they will do the same thing in three years at most. They might not get it what they would feel in that situation. In my case, I would like to use it for my students because they haven't studied all subject from all their hearts. I am so worried about it. I am always saying in the class to them I want you to go to a good university because it is the best way to get another things which they want in the future. If they fail, they seem to feel that they fail all of things in their lives. Even if it is not true, they might be feeling that way. Anyway, they will feel nervous when they talk about it. sunny

In the post-listening comprehension check, it is always good though to use dictogloss during the listening or watching it. Listening to the normal speed, while the reporter are saying, is quite important. Through the class, I learn that it is better to learn English in real situation. We cannot put ourselves in the situation surrounded by people who speak in English all the time. Therefore, it is a good way for them to improve their level of English. drunken

In the productive activity, using their thought and experience which they can share one another is excellent. And also they can share their episodes which might be more interesting to them.
But if you bring some grammatical points after listening as a help, it will be more successful both for you and for the students.
Lastly, I must say you did a good job in the lesson plan.^^ Cheers! Very Happy
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

my opinion

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Jun 04 2008, 17:54

Hello~ teacher:)
This video makes me remind my C-SAT.
Because of my high school teacher, you can understand how Keisung high school students feel about. I remembered that there were special classes in each grade consisted with an order of merit. This class gave me too much stress. If I did not get in 30 ranking in grade, then I would be kicked out. In this reason, my 3rd-year in high school was not happy. If my parents were believer in Buddhism or Roman Catholic, they heartily prayed to God that I would not cram to repeat a colleage entrance exam.
This video can attract students attention who prepare C-SAT.
I think that students are wordy in second part of Pre-activity so 5 min would be short of talking about. Because of each group with 4-6 people, 30 min would be good.
I also guess first part of Post-listening productive activities would be short of time.
The second part of post activities would me good chance to share information and improvement their speaking abilities.
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

good material for highschoolers

Post  bobosbong on Wed Jun 04 2008, 18:26

I think the vedio article is very authentic, which can attract the high school students because it deals with Korean high school setting. However, I'm of the opinion that the pre-listening activity is quite difficult for average Korean high school students; they won't be able to answer in Engish. So, it will be better if the questions are easier and more specific.
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hello~ MR. Park

Post  sunnypine on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:42

I like your topic so much!! This will be really interesting topic for students. Everyone is interested in their stories you know, so this can really attract others' attention. Also, watching Korean story in English is quite fun too. Students know the words related to "Test". haha So this topic really can be useful. I'm tutoring 3 senior highschool students. Even I feel nervous thesedays. I might quit Shocked haha I know.. I want to be responsible but, I'm just too nervous.. Anyways, good video! Also, about your lesson plans, i like your lesson plans. I think students will like yours! Everyone wants to talk about their stories to others. Maybe this video clip can make students think about their own experience and talk to their friends in English. This is real situational communicative competence teaching. Very Happy Also you didn't forget checking English comprehension part either. So I like your plan so much! I dont like being nervous about tests, but it is real situation in Korea anyway. Maybe you can put some relaxation part for nervous and anxious students by doing some fun activities. well Done!
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down