jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2. Final Exam: Video News from Ji Hyun

Post  jihyun on Wed May 21 2008, 17:27

1. Summary
China where three billions plastic bags are used everyday starts to ban people from using plastic bags. Worrying about the plastic bags not only on the surface but deep in the soil, china launches the crackdown on plastic bags. New policy, which forbiding shops from giving free carrier bag, which is valid from June 1st, causes some changes. While plastic bag makers are worrying about new policy, cloth bag makers are happy with it. But banning the plastic bags or promoting cloth bags is not the final solution for the problem. They need to develop some bio-based materials in the future.

* The reason to choose and the way to use this news article for my real students*
The reason why I choose this news article is that this is related to our school's textbook story -Lesson 11. Some News from the Year 2000. In that lesson, the stories are about the environmental problem which the Earth has or will have. So I am sure that I can use this news in various ways. Also, this story is about the China, which is the most "famous" country right now in the world. So I am sure students are interested in this story. Compared with other news article, this news story doesn't request very difficult background knowledge and the pronunciation of this is clear enough to understand to students.

Last edited by jihyun on Thu May 22 2008, 12:40; edited 1 time in total
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

3. Final Exam: Video News from Ji Hyun

Post  jihyun on Thu May 22 2008, 12:38

1. pre-listening activity
A. Goals for pre-listening activity
a. Students can have some expectation or interest for listening news article
b. Students can have some background knowledge about the news
c. Students can get some explanations about the main words and expressions

B: pre-listening activity
a- Bring some realia stuff -such as plastic bags , styrofoam and disposable cups (for interest).
Ask them the name of those stuff. (I expect they will say vinylbag, styrofoam and paper cups)
Teach them right expressions about those words (Correcting various broken English for fun )
Ask them to guess and say the reason I brought those stuff to the class.(value clarification works)

b- Show the students the news without sound.-(previewing the news to motivate their background knowledge)
Ask them to guess the story and let them talk about the environmental problem in our planet.(relate to real life)
Show them the newspaper article related to the environment section and give some explanation
(background-knowledge).

c- Teach them main words and expressions using inductive way(Show them several examples and let them
guess the common word)
*Teaching words lists-garbage landfill, bury, launch, ban, forbid , formulate, crackdown, implement, regulation,
exceed, output , plastic bag, cloth bag, struggle, promotial gifts , consumption, expert , bio-based
*Teaching expressions - forbid A from B, rely on, get better, comparative forms.
.......... etc ...........
ex)ban:(verb or noun)
`To do this means to say officilay that something must not be done,shown, or used.
` People are ( banned ) from smoking in the hospital .
`Similar words are (forbid) and (prohibit).
Q: According to those explanations, what is the meaning of this word?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Post-listening activity -check and help comprehension
A: Goals for post-listening activity
a. Help students to understand specific contents of the news.
b. Help students to summarize and tell the main idea of the news.
c. Help studetns to listen strategically and purposefly.

B: post-listening activity for comprehension
(1): Comprehension check up questions (for specific information)
ex) Q: Read the questions and answer those questions.
- Questions - ---- --------------------------------------- -Ideal Answers-
1. Where does this story happens?--------------------------- Beijing in China
2. What is the problem?------------------------------------- Two many plastic bags are used.
3. How to solve the problem? ------------------------------- Ban using plastic bags.
4. Why does new policy are made? -------------------------- To make change for the environment.
5. From when does this new policy affect? ------------------- After June 1st.
6. Who are happy with new policy?--------------------------- Cloth bag makers.
7. Who are worrying about the new policy?------------------- Plastic bag makers.
8. What is needed to be made?------------------------------ Bio-based material bags.

(2). Comprehension check up . (for main idea )
Q: Read the paragraph and fill out the blanks with your understanding of the news.
- ( ) where three billions ( ) are used everyday starts to ( ) people from using ( ). Worrying about the plastic bags not only on the surface but deep in the soil, china launches the ( ) on plastic bags. New ( ), which forbiding shops from giving free carrier bag, which is valid from ( )( ), causes some changes. While ( ) ( ) ( ) are worrying about new ( ), ( ) ( ) makers are happy with it. But banning the plastic bags or promoting cloth bags is not the final ( ) for the problem. They need to ( ) some ( ) ( ) in the future.

(3). Write down your own main idea in three lines. -(summarizing)
Students answer:

(4). As a post-listening activity, students listen to the news two more times, but this time,
keep teacher's instruction-ex)This time, just listen for the main idea, focus on the entire story .//
This time listen to find out specific information, such as how far is the garbage land field from the Beijing. and write down it.
(From this way, students know how to listen strategically and purposely)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Post-listening productive activity
A: Goals for post-listening productive activity
a. Help students to use the learned contents in the real world situation.
b. Help studetns to expand what they learned from the news.

B: Post-listening productive activity
a: Simulation and Discussion
Make students with 4 or 5 groups. And give them same situation.
ex) situation- There is a vote for deciding whether to have a grabage landfill in your neighborhood or not
among your neighbors. After vote, two opposing groups are formed. One is for having the landfill and
the other is against for it. Each group should think themselves as a social unit in their neighbor and
have to debate for having a garbage landfill near their neighborhood.

Give students enough time to findout information with using internet or library materials. (It can be done
during the class time or as a group project after class)

Let them make some charts, pictures or write an article for their controversy cooperatively.
After they finish preparing for it, give class presentation time for each group. ( Each group present in front
of the class with their prepared stuff- )

After this, students can choose the best team and follow their idea (---they put their garbage can inside
their class room or outside the classroom according to the result
)

b. Give some extra homework, such as finding out news articles or news video, which are related to the news content, in the website or newpaper. And give them chances to present those in front of the class.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking these questions again and again during the whole week but I think this is the best way to teach
this news. I hope this is effective enoguh to help students in various ways.
Thank you for reading ^___________^ Very Happy
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A little modification

Post  jihyun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 19:23

I need to modify my lesson plan a little bit.

In the post-listenng comprehension activity, I would say that I let students listen to the news several times according to each tasks orderly. Then they will not have burden to do '(1)' and '(2)' tasks together.

Also, in the post-listening productive activity, I think it might be better to put a precondition before doing the simulation activity which says that the result of the debate will affect our classroom arrangement about garbage can. Otherwise, there's no connection between debate and teachers' decision about the position of garbage can, which will interest students more than just imaginary situation. Neutral @ Wink
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

jihyun wrote:1. pre-listening activity
A. Goals for pre-listening activity
a. Students can have some expectation or interest for listening news article
b. Students can have some background knowledge about the news
c. Students can get some explanations about the main words and expressions

B: pre-listening activity
a- Bring some realia stuff -such as plastic bags , styrofoam and disposable cups (for interest).
Ask them the name of those stuff. (I expect they will say vinylbag, styrofoam and paper cups)
Teach them right expressions about those words (Correcting various broken English for fun )
Ask them to guess and say the reason I brought those stuff to the class.(value clarification works)

b- Show the students the news without sound.-(previewing the news to motivate their background knowledge)
Ask them to guess the story and let them talk about the environmental problem in our planet.(relate to real life)
Show them the newspaper article related to the environment section and give some explanation
(background-knowledge).

c- Teach them main words and expressions using inductive way(Show them several examples and let them
guess the common word)
*Teaching words lists-garbage landfill, bury, launch, ban, forbid , formulate, crackdown, implement, regulation,
exceed, output , plastic bag, cloth bag, struggle, promotial gifts , consumption, expert , bio-based
*Teaching expressions - forbid A from B, rely on, get better, comparative forms.
ex)ban:(verb or noun)
`To do this means to say officilay that something must not be done,shown, or used.
` People are ( banned ) from smoking in the hospital .
`Similar words are (forbid) and (prohibit).
Q: According to those explanations, what is the meaning of this word?

2. Post-listening activity -check and help comprehension
A: Goals for post-listening activity
a. Help students to understand specific contents of the news.
b. Help students to summarize and tell the main idea of the news.
c. Help studetns to listen strategically and purposefly.

B: post-listening activity for comprehension
(1): Comprehension check up questions (for specific information)
ex) Q: Read the questions and answer those questions.
- Questions - ---- --------------------------------------- -Ideal Answers-
1. Where does this story happens?--------------------------- Beijing in China
2. What is the problem?------------------------------------- Two many plastic bags are used.
3. How to solve the problem? ------------------------------- Ban using plastic bags.
4. Why does new policy are made? -------------------------- To make change for the environment.
5. From when does this new policy affect? ------------------- After June 1st.
6. Who are happy with new policy?--------------------------- Cloth bag makers.
7. Who are worrying about the new policy?------------------- Plastic bag makers.
8. What is needed to be made?------------------------------ Bio-based material bags.

(2). Comprehension check up . (for main idea )
Q: Read the paragraph and fill out the blanks with your understanding of the news.
- ( ) where three billions ( ) are used everyday starts to ( ) people from using ( ). Worrying about the plastic bags not only on the surface but deep in the soil, china launches the ( ) on plastic bags. New ( ), which forbiding shops from giving free carrier bag, which is valid from ( )( ), causes some changes. While ( ) ( ) ( ) are worrying about new ( ), ( ) ( ) makers are happy with it. But banning the plastic bags or promoting cloth bags is not the final ( ) for the problem. They need to ( ) some ( ) ( ) in the future.

(3). Write down your own main idea in three lines. -(summarizing)
Students answer:

(4). As a post-listening activity, students listen to the news two more times, but this time,
keep teacher's instruction-ex)This time, just listen for the main idea, focus on the entire story .//
This time listen to find out specific information, such as how far is the garbage land field from the Beijing. and write down it.
(From this way, students know how to listen strategically and purposely)

3. Post-listening productive activity
A: Goals for post-listening productive activity
a. Help students to use the learned contents in the real world situation.
b. Help studetns to expand what they learned from the news.

B: Post-listening productive activity
a: Simulation and Discussion
Make students with 4 or 5 groups. And give them same situation.
ex) situation- There is a vote for deciding whether to have a grabage landfill in your neighborhood or not
among your neighbors. After vote, two opposing groups are formed. One is for having the landfill and
the other is against for it. Each group should think themselves as a social unit in their neighbor and
have to debate for having a garbage landfill near their neighborhood.

Give students enough time to findout information with using internet or library materials. (It can be done
during the class time or as a group project after class)

Let them make some charts, pictures or write an article for their controversy cooperatively.
After they finish preparing for it, give class presentation time for each group. ( Each group present in front
of the class with their prepared stuff- )

After this, students can choose the best team and follow their idea (---they put their garbage can inside
their class room or outside the classroom according to the result
)

b. Give some extra homework, such as finding out news articles or news video, which are related to the news content, in the website or newpaper. And give them chances to present those in front of the class.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking these questions again and again during the whole week but I think this is the best way to teach
this news. I hope this is effective enoguh to help students in various ways.
Thank you for reading ^___________^ Very Happy
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Perfect lesson plan!!

Post  Lee yujin on Mon Jun 02 2008, 20:25

I think your lesson plan is exellent ams brilliant!
It's really specific and well-organized and also shows your effort to make a better one.

your topic is good to young students because they should be aware of how the envorimental problem is serious and direclt connected with their now and future life.

I think your clear goals to help students get the better result from the lesson.
Using relia,real objects, in the classroom is good for stimulating students' intersts, especially they are young, because it could be meaningful to them.
Although your activities are nice, they are a little bit time-consuming which might make students even before starting the main listening activity. So I think some parts of activities could be included in the post-listenig stage.

Asking them to fill the gaps and summarize can be good try to balace between skimming and scanning skills. But for some lower level studnets, you need to make easier activity especially for them.

Discussing about garbage landfill is good way to improve students' criticla thinking.
they have to read a lot to find the good support evidence , write to present thier ideas in visual chart and speak a lot to persuade other students.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

a great lesson plan!^^

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Mon Jun 02 2008, 21:49

As I read the lines of saying that you prepared for a whole week, I feel that you are a greatly enthusiastic teacher and (I thought) school teachers are awesome in teaching in a real class. In some part of your considerate writings, I could see your experienced skills and various applications.

In the first place, I like your reasons why you chose the environment-related problem, which is quite convincing: the textbook-related content and practical environment problem. In other words, its main subject is familiar to all levels of age, including teenagers. Also, the introduction of real materials such as plastic bags or something is a good way to stimulate students' interest as well as curiosity. I think that the success of perfect understanding largely depends on how much background knowledge the students have. In this regard, you have enough information to students through the first pre-listening activity. Most of all, the comprehension check-up part I think could educe integrative activities in relation to grammars, meaning of the words, structures of sentences, and contexts in the whole script.

I would point out the discussion part in the post-listening productive activity as the lack of connection to the main theme. The main topic is presented as a practical alternative to saving our planet, the Earth. For this reason, on the assumption that the landfill is going to be established in one's neighbor, the activity of the pros and cons about that is discursive a little bit.

If I HAVE TO give one addition to your lesson plan, students' expectations related to the prevalence of cotton-made bags in china would be more appropriate. Or encouraging students to suggest other alternative way to reduce those plastic bags.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you for your advice

Post  jihyun on Wed Jun 04 2008, 12:06

HELLO~

Before I modify my own lesson plan, I would like to say thank you for your kind suggestion.

In terms of pre-listening activity, I agree with your idea. To solve this problem, I can manage the "Broken English Teaching" within 3 to 5 minutes and let them listen to the news without sound quickly and show them Korean news article which have some pictures about the environmental problems fast(2-4 minutes). But in teaching vocabularies, I am not sure if I can shorten the time. I think doing these activities at the end of listening is not as effective as doing before listening. So I think that to reduce
the time consuming, I have to teach them very limited vocabularies which is crucial to listen to the news, controling my desire to teach them a lot. ^^

Lee yujin wrote:I think your lesson plan is exellent ams brilliant!
It's really specific and well-organized and also shows your effort to make a better one.

your topic is good to young students because they should be aware of how the envorimental problem is serious and direclt connected with their now and future life.

I think your clear goals to help students get the better result from the lesson.
Using relia,real objects, in the classroom is good for stimulating students' intersts, especially they are young, because it could be meaningful to them.
Although your activities are nice, they are a little bit time-consuming which might make students even before starting the main listening activity. So I think some parts of activities could be included in the post-listenig stage.

Asking them to fill the gaps and summarize can be good try to balace between skimming and scanning skills. But for some lower level studnets, you need to make easier activity especially for them.

Discussing about garbage landfill is good way to improve students' criticla thinking.
they have to read a lot to find the good support evidence , write to present thier ideas in visual chart and speak a lot to persuade other students.
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you ^^

Post  jihyun on Wed Jun 04 2008, 12:24

It's too cludy outside today, how are you, nice lady?
I am so exhausted and have sore throat. Maybe fatigue......ㅠㅠ Be careful!!

Thank you very much for your specific modification and suggestion. Before I read your writing, I couldn't even think about that. Lacking of relationship............
Um.. right. As you point out, there's no perfect connection between whole topic of the news-"Saving the earth from the plastic bag" and simulation topic -"Having garbage landfill nearby." But I think students can expand their opinion about having landfill near their neighbor and connect those to saving the earth from the trash, using the learned vocabularies and expressions.

I think your idea of surveying the prevalence of cotton-made bags in china and encouraging students to suggest other alternative way to reduce those plastic bag using is good. But I wanted to let them do simulation activity. That's why I choose that topic and give them role as residents.

Thank you for your suggestions and have great afternoon.^^ Wink

Kim Jin-Young wrote:As I read the lines of saying that you prepared for a whole week, I feel that you are a greatly enthusiastic teacher and (I thought) school teachers are awesome in teaching in a real class. In some part of your considerate writings, I could see your experienced skills and various applications.

In the first place, I like your reasons why you chose the environment-related problem, which is quite convincing: the textbook-related content and practical environment problem. In other words, its main subject is familiar to all levels of age, including teenagers. Also, the introduction of real materials such as plastic bags or something is a good way to stimulate students' interest as well as curiosity. I think that the success of perfect understanding largely depends on how much background knowledge the students have. In this regard, you have enough information to students through the first pre-listening activity. Most of all, the comprehension check-up part I think could educe integrative activities in relation to grammars, meaning of the words, structures of sentences, and contexts in the whole script.

I would point out the discussion part in the post-listening productive activity as the lack of connection to the main theme. The main topic is presented as a practical alternative to saving our planet, the Earth. For this reason, on the assumption that the landfill is going to be established in one's neighbor, the activity of the pros and cons about that is discursive a little bit.

If I HAVE TO give one addition to your lesson plan, students' expectations related to the prevalence of cotton-made bags in china would be more appropriate. Or encouraging students to suggest other alternative way to reduce those plastic bags.
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Ji Hyun

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Thu Jun 05 2008, 05:45

The video news you chose seems one of the most popular one in this forum. There must be a reason for the majority's choice. I think the reason why many chose this is that it is educational and provides issues to think and discuss. Actually, a lot of English textbooks contain at least one unit dealing with environmental issue. So I think you chose the topic well.

Your lesson plan is very well-organized and detailed. Especially, I like the pre-listening activities including "watching the news without sound and guessing the content." It's very good idea. Through that activity, students can have chance to focus on the topic, do a lot of guess, and activate their background information.

One thing I would like to see clarified in your lesson plan is as follows. On your post-listening productive activity, you planned to do simulation and discussion. But if there are no group for establishing a garbage landfill in their neighborhood? (There seems be the possibility as we can see NIMBY in real life.) So in grouping, what about preparing alternatives in case of no volunteers for establishing a garbage landfill in their neighborhood?

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

intersting....

Post  jangdj on Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:39

I am not sure whether China's effort to ban single use product would be " single use" or otherwise, it is wothy to try I suggest. Sad Sad At any rate topic choice were good because
it is somewhat related to the big sports event. And it is big enough to get an attention from students.

Regarding to the lesson plan, especially about pre-listening activity, wactching the video clip without sound were verr impressive to me. Students would be stimulated to use their background and general knowledge to guess. Then they will confirm or modify their guess after watching the video with sound. Automatically , THEY WILL LEARN FROM TRAIL AND ERROR.
jangdj
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

plastic bag

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Jun 05 2008, 07:27

1. We have the same news!! I also uploaded this news on my final exam post!! What a coincidence!
I think using plastic bag was free in Korea 1 or 2 decades ago, and then the government started to regulate its usage. And more, I think China is walking the same road like Korea. Using plastic bag is convenient, but once it is thrown on the ground, it rarely decays; therefore, using it definitely should be regulated by the authority, I think. I also chose this news because it seemed interesting and reminded me of my childhood.

2. I think watching video without sound is unique way that I've never thought of. I think your plan is well-balanced. Students can build the basic knowledge that is needed to understand or study the news content at pre-listening activities. Then, they can understand the news content well through various activities.

3. Is this plan for one hour session class? I think to prepare for the debate, it will take some time for students to think about it.

4. Maybe teachers can prepare for the various landfill related articles for the students without having them search for the information during the class (if you want to do the activity during the class.) or you may give them searching for the articles or materials as their pre-homework. I think if you make them debate next class, it may ruin the flow of the class.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks a lot!^^

Post  jihyun on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:30

Thank you for your kind compliment.
Right! As you said, almost every textbook include at least one environmental topic, so
as ours.

I couldn't think about that;nobody want to have landfill in their neighbor.
Wow, that is possible if it's a discussion or vote. But fortunately, it's a simulation. So we already have a new identity assigned. So students should think themselves as given identity. That's why I said there are two opposite groups, one is for having landfill and
the other is against having landfill. ^^ Thank you I love you ~~

Kim Eun-jung wrote:The video news you chose seems one of the most popular one in this forum. There must be a reason for the majority's choice. I think the reason why many chose this is that it is educational and provides issues to think and discuss. Actually, a lot of English textbooks contain at least one unit dealing with environmental issue. So I think you chose the topic well.

Your lesson plan is very well-organized and detailed. Especially, I like the pre-listening activities including "watching the news without sound and guessing the content." It's very good idea. Through that activity, students can have chance to focus on the topic, do a lot of guess, and activate their background information.

One thing I would like to see clarified in your lesson plan is as follows. On your post-listening productive activity, you planned to do simulation and discussion. But if there are no group for establishing a garbage landfill in their neighborhood? (There seems be the possibility as we can see NIMBY in real life.) So in grouping, what about preparing alternatives in case of no volunteers for establishing a garbage landfill in their neighborhood?
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Ji Hyun

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down