Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Wed May 14 2008, 10:39

Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Brief Summary

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 09:39

The national acrobatic troupe of China is rehearsing hard to entertain the enthusiastic crowds. There will be 50 spectacular shows during the summer games. Chinese acrobatics are considered expressing the country's strength and power by focusing on challenging physical limitations. And the world's first juggler who can control eleven balls at the same time is preparing an impressive show to foreigners "The Chinese can juggle better." although it was introduced from other countries. affraid
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-listening Activity

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 10:09

1. A teacher plays the video without sound.
2. Students guess what's being talked about.
3. A teacher lets students share their ideas in groups.
4. A chosen leader in each group presents their group's prediction.

Last edited by Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 10:49; edited 1 time in total
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post Listening Activity(for comprehension)

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 10:48

Students have only three chances to watch the video following these steps below.

1. Based on the prediction that students already made in their groups, they get to listen to the video carefully in order to figure out if their group's prediction is right or wrong.
2. A teacher tells the topic to the students and all the team members whose prediction is turned out to be right get one score.
3. Then, the teacher provides brief oral definitions of some vocabularies which can prevent students from understanding.
4. After the second time of listening, students are given handouts of the listening passage, some statements of which are true and some false. They take a short time to cross out wrong statements.(This time, it is necessary to give them a warning that the paper will be included in their score, for some of them may not even take a look at the handouts during the time.)
5. Students listens to it at last while checking out the passage by themselves. The teacher goes over the answers together and randomly make some students correct the wrong statements.
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post Listening Activity(for production)

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu May 22 2008, 11:26

Since my listening activities might be exhausting enough for students, I would like to shortly wrap up through simple speaking activities and assign them writing homework.

1. A teacher requires students to brainstorm on the topic "Olympics" in groups for a few minutes.
2. The teacher offers a recorder to each team so that they might be able to record their voices on the next topic "Beijing Olympics" within given time. Although it could be an excellent opportunity to get a score just by speaking out whatever comes into their minds, all the team members loses one score unless even one of them expresses his/her opinion because it is teamwork.
3. Each team hands in recorded tapes to the teacher. After that, they have 3 minutes to jot down any ideas about the second topic with no stop.
4. Finally, students are assigned to complete a paragraph which includes their opinions or predictions about Beijing Olympics by next time.
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback.. ^^

Post  Kyeong-im on Mon Jun 02 2008, 21:44

Dear Hyo-jin,

Your video clip is so interesting. Actually I'm a little surprised at the news. That is the Chinese do that kind of thing to show their strength and power. This sentence reminds me of "Chinese Centuralism" I just enjoy seeing their show during holidays but don't think they are quite strong country. It's a little funny~.. ^^;

In your lesson plan, I like two parts. First, prediction of what content will be without sound. Visual things also can be good material and have enough information to guess it. It's better to guess content than just use key words. Second, record of students' voice. When I used beeper I did record my voice both in Korean and in English. The best way to find my strength and weakness in speaking is to hear my voice. Through this activity students may see their pronunciation objectively.

I wonder whether they do pre-listening activity using their own mother tongue or second language. It is the language that give students either stress or relaxation.

Also, I agree to your opinion that students are likely to do nothing if there's any rules or rewards. However, too many rewards(I mean score. All of things they do is concerned with score) make students extremely competitive. Thus it induces strain and tension. So I suggest that, at first time, it's necessary to believe students, their voluntary participation and ignore very little things which not to influence so much on improvement of students' listening ability.
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

good lesson plan

Post  Lee yujin on Tue Jun 03 2008, 21:25

Your topic is interesting enough to get students' attention but somewhat difficult to get educational points.

Your guessing activity before listening is a good strategy to lead students focus more on what they are going to listen. But I think you should involve more linguistic support to discuss the topic before they listen. Like others you can put some vocabualry work.

you comprehension questions are mostly well -designed . T/F questions might reduce students' anxiety because they don't need to formualte their own answers, but they could be a little bit boring to students who are relatively in higher proficiency.

Your post listening activity is unique. you ask students to brainstorm and record thier voice which could be fun and interesting. But this sort of activity may have a risk of losing coherence between other activities, which make students confused on what they are learning.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Concrete and original lesson plan!

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:45

First of all, the content of the video news about Beijing Olympics is the thing that piques interests of students. So, it will be great materials to the students. In addition to that, what I felt impressive of was the pre-listening step where students have to guess what is going on there without listening the news article. It's such a novel idea to let students have free discussion, or brainstorming, and thus feel less anxious about what they will listen to later. Plus, the last stage where you intended not to push students harshly can be carried out smoothly as you had planned. But I want to know if there is special reasons why you alloted the time of 'providing brief oral definitions of some vocabularies' in the post-listening section, not in the pre-listening one. If there is no special reason of the way you designed the plan that way, I would recommend you to rearrange that activity to the last part of the pre-listening activity, which will help students understand the news more clearly. Laughing
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:49

Hello~Hyo Jin

I can not take my eyes off video while looking your lesson plan. Chinese acrobatics look powerful.
It is a little bit out of topic but I think that China is not ready to host the Olympic.
Recently China has received some negative publicity as the Olympic torch has been traveling around the globe. Olympic Spirit which is Building a peaceful and better world requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship but Tibet is not friendship.
I think using video for pre-activities is great. Many teachers give an opinion to prepare papers for pre-activities but your idea is fresh. Pre-activities deal with guessing topic, How about more discussion about Beijing Olympic? Just their free discussion.
Your Post listening activies is quite well-organized. By giving the scores, teacher can make students participate in class. To hand in recorded tape is also creative.
Your lesson plan is also good to check students' comperhension and promote integration.
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What an interesting topic~!

Post  bobosbong on Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:42

To begin with, the topic itself is entertaining and stimulates viewers' attention. A good choice!! And playing it without sound is the greatest idea, which will sure intrigue students. I can imagine the picture: a little frustrated but eagerly participating students. But if you noticed the "score policy" for the right guess in the pre-listenig section, it would activate students' participation a lot more. Still, it's another carefully chosen strategy; students love winnig, it's a good bait. Overall, it's really well-organized and each step worthwhile.
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A creative activity!

Post  Mi Jin Jeong on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:15

It's great video to have class about and talk with students at them time we're looking forward to the Beijing Olympics. The topic is good to attract students' interest and the content is easy to understand.

What is the impressive thing of your lesson plan is guessing the video after watching it without sound. I think it's interesting and a way to make students think creative. But I feel something a little wanting because there is no teacher's support of background knowledge about the video content. Maybe they need somewhat help of a teacher with English vocabulary and information of Beijing.

I think your lesson plan contains many creative activities to motivate students and to entertain them in the class context.

Mi Jin Jeong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Hyo-Jin, Kim

Post  Nam-suk on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:51

Your pre-listening idea like playing the video without sound is quite unique,..^^ and I also think that can be useful material for making Ss guess about this video before actually getting into "listenig"..it's just like using pictures and even better than them for Ss....I guess.. The part of post-listening activity for comprehension was also good in terms of being made as a group work..but for their better understanding about this video clip, it might be better to get them know about unfamiliar words in advance(like in pre-listening..) and to me..overall..it's more like for the Ss with relatively lower level..^^ so if it's needed to cover Ss of high level, activities that are more focused on figuring out the contents of clip might be needed..I guess..^^ In the part of productive activities, I liked your creative methods like using a recorder..but narrowing topic(personally, I guess Olympics can be another big topic..)is also needed here..^^ In the case of scoring in each step...that's good for facilitating Ss..but it might be stressful to them..esp. for their speaking(cause teacher really need to care about their affective factors..when they're speaking foreign languages..I guess..)^^ Thanks for your good plan...^^
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Beijing Olympic!!

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:59

1. The news is interesting to just watch the people in the video. Moreover, I can feel that Beijing Olympic is coming soon. It's incredible to see the skills that the acrobats are showing! I'm really looking forward to the Olympic after watching the video, and I believe the students who will watch this will think so, too.

2. I think your lesson plan is unique to include watching video without sound. I think this would be good. Also, you approached English listening in various sides, so I think students won't lose their interests. And your production activities are excellent because this will help students throw the burden that they should speak or write perfectly.

3. What's the target students of this lesson plan? Is their English ability mostly good or various?

4. I think as an assignment, you can ask students to search for some unique news articles about Beijing Olympic from English written news paper web sites like www.nyt.com.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Hyo-Jin, Kim

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down