Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary

Post  Ji-eun on Wed May 21 2008, 22:54

[ Summary of Video news ]

' Pop tot Beatles performance '

There is a fifth Beatles' member. He is five-years-old boy, 'Ha Youngwoon'. When he was 3 years old, he sang some famous songs of Beatles and his mom recored and posted this video to the internet. It got popularity and he became an internet star. His mom mentioned that she wants he could find the good teacher who can give various chances to him and he said he wants to travel and performance all over the world like Beatles.
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-listening Activity

Post  Ji-eun on Wed May 21 2008, 22:58

[ Pre-listening Activity ]

- Pre-listening activity will be doing for getting attention from students and helping them to listen and comprehension video clip well.

- Teacher shows some videos of Beatles' which they sing some song. After that, students will see another video which the little boy sings some Beatles' songs. (it is another version of this video clip, "Rough-cut).

- Make a small group, and have a guessing game about this little boy. Students are just allowed to ask questions and teacher will answer only yes or no. Through this game, students can have a comprehension of story in this video news.
ex) Is he a singer? Is he a Korean? Does he live in Korea?
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post-listening comprehension activity

Post  Ji-eun on Wed May 21 2008, 23:01

[ Post-listening comprehension activity ]

- 5W1H dice Activity

- Teacher will tell to the students several key words and let them read repeatly. It will be helpful to comprehence this video clip.

- Make a group with 3~4 students

- After listen this video clip several times, teacher hands out one activity paper to the students. In this paper, there are 6 big sections with 5W1H questions. (where, what, who when, why and how) They are supposed to fill in these blanks altogether during 5~10 minutes. And then one of group member comes out and rolls the dice which has six sides with 5W1H. If he/she gets'why' section, this group has to answer about 'why' of this video clip.

- In order to fill in the blanks, students have to listen carefully an d think considerly. Through a big special dice with 5W1H, it will be possible to get attention from students.

Last edited by Ji-eun on Thu May 22 2008, 10:59; edited 1 time in total
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post-listening productive activity

Post  Ji-eun on Wed May 21 2008, 23:03

[ Post-listening productive activity ]

- Tell me about your childhood.

- Students are supposed to bring one picture of their childhood. After put this picture on the paper, they write a short story about themselves. Like a little boy in this video clip, 'Ha youngwoong', all of students were good at something in their childhood, such as piano, drawing or tackwondo. So write down a short story about them and recall their childhood.

- This writing will be started with sentence, "When I was young, i was good at ~~~".

- After finish to do this writing, have a time to present their story in front of other students. It can be connected with speaking activity.
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Great activities mentioned here!!

Post  Boyun Park on Sat May 31 2008, 08:00

Ji-eun wrote:

Hello *^^*
I also liked this clip very much when I saw first time on rueters homepage. The boy was so cute and he's Korean too, like us!!! Seeing his performance, no doubt his singing video came so much popular on internet!! He's talented and lucky that his parents noticed it fast and could develop his singing talent at a young age. Like his mother said, finding a good teacher and keeping a hard work, we can expect Korean Beatles-like group in maybe 20 years? Very Happy

I enjoyed reading all your activities and thought they could be adjusted to classes well. Students will be able to get the idea of the video at pre-activity stage when they watch "rough cut" and have guessing time. Moreover, I believe 5W1H dice will attract students' attention and let them have fun while trying to comprehend the video. I just thought we could add a little bit on that post-listening activity stage. It would be better if after one member answers the question, then other teams could give feedbacks or present their different opinions rather than the teacher giving answers or just asking students if it's right or wrong. It could help students' speaking in English as well as having chances to hear what others think.

Students will have great time sharing their childhood stories on productive activity stage. Like you mentioned, it will not only improve their writing but also their speaking English in front of others. I thought of another activity while watching this video too. I actually had an experience having learned a "Beatles" song lyric in English class. It was a lot of fun and many students sang along after learning the lyric. I think some students these days know or have heard of "Beatles" from medias or elders, but don't know really about their songs unless they have special interest in them. So choosing an easy famous song of Beatles and learning the lyric will attract students' attention and show them English can be fun!!
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final exam : Video news from Ji-eun Jung

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Tue Jun 03 2008, 07:58

Pre-listening activity

I have also watched this video clip before. And he had been on air in many Korean programs on TV. So students feel very comfortable and follow the lesson quite easily. I

I like you used a guessing game about the clip. By answering only yes or no, they might feel more curious about the boy and want to find out more information in the news.

Like you said, this activity will help get their attention.

Post-listening comprehension activity

I think it's a good idea using 5W1H question to get the clearer picture about it. And using a dice they it will be also possible to get attention from students. I want to know more about the game.

Post-listening productive activity

I think students will be very excited about the activity. Most people like to talk about their childhood. By bringing their won pictures and sharing them, students can be closer each other, too. This will improve their affective principle.

And writing about themselves wouldn't be a burden for them. They might feel comfortable and be eager to talk about themselves in front of their classmates. I like your lesson plan in a way that boost their relationship and lower their affective filter.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cheerful activity ~^^

Post  Oksun on Tue Jun 03 2008, 08:03

Hi, Jieun. I could notice that several people chose this video clip for their lesson plans. It's quite suitable to have listening activity and it can make viewers smile at this cute Korean boy. I might say he has a knack for singing so I hope he will grow up to be a great singer some day. In pre-listening activity, it's a good idea for you to show "rough-cut" video clip. It could be helpful to draw students' attention and evoke their prior knowledge as well. Students can guess what the video clip is about by the riddle game you give. I like "5W1H" activity. Sounds like boring at first. You know I feel like I am in front of a police officer ;; You modified this activity into Dice Game. This activity is so effective to focus on listening and to have fun with the students as well.

Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

a great lesson plan..^^

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Tue Jun 03 2008, 11:21

1. This story is interesting enough to get much attention from students because of the audio and visual effects. Unlike other informative articles, this story plays a important role to think of students' childhood. The song sang by a little boy makes students feel good and pleased. Although other instructive articles are benefit on the sense of their responsibilities and awareness, this interest-based stuff refresh students' anxieties to learning and remove something burdensome during a listening activity.

2. What I like best in your lesson plan is the last part of it. This activity tries to connect to students' real experience and gives a precious time to speak English without any coercion. Under this activity, students converse with group members so well because its story telling is totally based on their OWN experiences. Also, progress in a group discussion is a good idea. Helping each other within a group stimulates all good effects related to peer corrections. Through 5W1H dice Activity you mentioned, students may have all necessary information in this article.

3, 4. I would like you to add more specifications to your lesson plan such as giving more potential questions in the pre-listening activity. I think that asking some of students if they are good at singing or something is better with your present pre-listening activity. That means that both your question-and-answer activity and asking students' experience would be mixed. And the last activity, speaking part, could be put in the last part, which is the same as you planned.

Thank you for reading my poor comments.^^ bounce
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Brilliant Ideas!

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Wed Jun 04 2008, 21:47

Wow, it's amazing that you've posted two related video clips: one the raw material (I mean original sound only), and the other is well designed news article. First of all, I've found two unique methods of yours. Using dice in the class is interesting enough to catch students attention, though the activities for students to express themselves may be sometimes tough to them. Plus, I think your introducing 5w1h questions is very good idea as far as news listening article is concerned, because every news has all those information in it. Furthermore, I like your idea of post-listening productive activities most of all in that writing and telling their story in an expressive way will surely lower students' anxiety of formal writing, rather making them fun with it. However, I wonder why you chose to let students present their own stories themselves in front of the class. I think you could make it more meaningful and interesting when you do this. Have students make comments on and deliver the story of their partners'. This will make students more engrossed in what they read, and try to understand the full story. cheers
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:14

It's a so cute and talented boy singing good songs. I'm proud of him being a Korean.^^ And I believe that there may be more excellent musicians in Korea. In my opinion, it is a good choice because the video news is episode happening in Korea and also there aren't any culture differences. So I think it's a good choice to learn English through the Korean news.
And It's a very interesting idea to check their comprehension using the '5W1H dice activity'. It's a creative and unique method, and I think the idea comes from your kindergartener teaching experiences. I love that.
But I'm sorry to say that I don't understand what you mentioned in the first part pre-listening activity. Will you give some summary for the students in advance before they watch the video? Otherwise how can they get interested in the video content and have a guessing game? Tell me some more specific information about your lesson plan. I enjoyed reading your lesson plan and it makes me think creatively. Thank your for sharing good idea.^^
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

same but different

Post  bobosbong on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:56

Hi~~~
You've choosen the same video clip as me. I agree with your opinion that the boy is so~~cute and talented. That's whay we choose the same one.

However, haha, we have some differences in our lesson plans. Here are some differences: showing some vedio clips of Beatles, teacher's only yes/no answer, and using a dice. I've never thought of showing them the real Beatles' photo or video clip. And the teacher's role in your plan seems to be proper for encourgaing students' participation. What a good approach!! Finally 5w1h section is easy enough to anticipate a full participation from the students.
One suggestion is making more guidelines of your writing part: how many paragraphs, how to organize them, how to link main idea with supporting details, etc.
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down