Journal 1

Go down

Journal 1

Post  Sera Jung on Tue May 13 2008, 11:33

When I feel tired from a busy life, I usually try to close my eyes and ease my mind calmly by recalling my memories of England. The class with foreign friends, the gardens with freshly green trees and well cultivated flowers, bright sunshine and refreshing breezes by London Bridge and the bakery where those lovely cakes were sold. The time I spent there was for 4 weeks last summer vacation was so valuable and unforgettable.

Before my departure for London, since it was my first time to go abroad, I had dreamed of learning English and traveling to foreign countries for a long time, so I was so excited. With great excitement my childhood friend, Yun-ji and I arrived at Heathrow airport on June18th. But contrary to my excitement at first I was so nervous that I couldn't say anything when asked some questions during the formalities for entry. And it was also hard for me to understand the pronunciation of British English. So for 1 week, my friend and I had difficulties in adapting to our new circumstances but things got turned for the better soon.

In the morning from 9 to 12, we had lessons at International House, the biggest educational institution of English in London. For me it was interesting to have a chance to talk with foreign friends. By sharing my thoughts and opinions with them, I could learn not only the characteristics of people from different countries but also the way and how to express my views clearly. In general compared with western people, the Korean and the Japanese are quiet in class just listening to what the teacher had to say. But the western people, whenever they have some questions or are not sure they ask their teachers. And they gave their opinion confidently when there were some different views from theirs. By having a class with them, I tried to learn these things and participate in class more actively.

After finishing classes, my friend and I walked around London city sightseeing. Thanks to the well organized the system of tube, which is what the subway system is called in England, we could go sightseeing by ourselves easily. All we had to do was just get a tube ticket and tour guidebook from a store. As there are so many heritages sites in London, I could see many tourists from other countries. When I walked along the Thames River feeling the breeze and seeing the London Bridge I finally realized that I was in London! As the Tower of London was well preserved and decorated to show the original shape of the past, I felt I was with the people from the past living in that tower.

When I saw the streets neat and tidy with the lovely houses in Notting Hill, I discovered why this town was chosen for the movie. At St. Paul's Cathedral I was so impressed with the dome, which has made it a famous landmark and at magnificent mosaic on the ceiling. Also at the cathedral's Golden Gallery we could see a view of the whole city. It was so wonderful. Though I do not know much about the paintings, as there were so many masterpieces that I spent 2 days trying to see all of them, which was a bit hard since they were in over 60 rooms.

London is also famous for many performances such as plays, musicals, ballets and other things. We watched 'The Phantom of the Opera' and I was so moved by the fascinating voice of main characters and gorgeous sound of the orchestra. In Covent Garden market, we could see street performers in front of the market. They performed some magical feats or stunts with someone from the audiences. It was so amazing. London is very crowded but I really felt a lot envy because they have some many cultural places like different kinds of museums, galleries, buildings, theaters and parks where people can spend time with their family or friends and enhance the level of their personal culture.

From my trip, I was really happy to learn and speak English in England and my heart is full of the fact that we did well for 4 weeks and finished the trip safely by ourselves. I also grasp what I need and I have to do to improve my English ability. The memories of England will remain in my heart forever and will be a great booster to live more energetically. I want to say "Thank you" to my parents who allowed me the opportunity to go and to have great memories of England.
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Journal 1

Post  Hyun a Ji on Tue Jun 10 2008, 00:21

I wanna go England. You had a good chance. Even if you stayed a short period of time, it seems you could make lots of good experience. Thanks for your good essay for England, your essay made me want to but ticket. Very Happy
Hyun a Ji
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji hye Lim on Sun Jun 15 2008, 16:39

Wow, I envy you. I really want to visit England somedays. Especially, I want to visit London. After I red Bae doo na's London play, My interest about London is getting bigger. Razz
Ji hye Lim
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down