[OP10] implementing English language instruction

Go down

[OP10] implementing English language instruction

Post  Youn Sujin on Tue May 13 2008, 11:08

It is impossible to implement effective English language instruction in Korean schools on account of the student to teacher ratio in each class.

Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not? Use reasons and examples to support your opinion.

I always have argued the importance of small class size, because of the inefficiency in running a whole, large class by the teacher alone. However, I don't mean it is 'impossible' to apply English instructions in a large class. Depending on the teacher's ability and the level of language usage, it can be possible to lead the class effectively in English. The problem I have been concerning was that it's quite hard to determine the teacher's ability to control a large class. Anyway, implementing Egnlish language instruction in Korean schools is not always impossible.

First of all, with lower level of English instructions, a teacher could possiblly lead a class as a whole. A teacher can start from basic, simple expressions such as 'open your book', 'raise your hand' and so on. Usually these remarks are pretty easy to listen and understand for all of the students, they can be easily used to draw students' attention and make students follow the teacher's instruction. For example, I had an English class when I was a middle school student. One of the English teachers taught us and she sometimes gave us long instructions in English. I could figure out what she wanted us to do, while some of my classmates didn't understand what she said. They asked me to interpret her words, and then they could follow the directions. If they were given a lot easier statements, they certainly would be willing to do what the teacher wanted. Therefore, using easy English would be helpful in adopting Egnlish language instruction in Korean school.

Secondly, if the teacher has enough influence, or authority, to get students pay attention to the teacher, he/she could manage a large class successfully. If not, it's hard to guarantee the success of the class taught in English. Generally, a teacher who can't control the students' behavior in large class is not likely to be capable of handling the students in a small class either. There was a young teacher, despised by many students because of her age or some other reasons. Her warnings on students couldn't always bring appropriate results. On the other hand, another teacher who had lots of experience in controlling her students could even command the whole student body. After all, one of the determinants in running a class in English in Korean schools is the teachers' ability.

Even with so many qualified teachers, small class size is recommended to reduce chances of failure in educating children in English. However, there are still a lot of teachers who can lead a class as a whole. If those teachers implement easy English instructions, it will be possible to expect successful English education in spite of the students to the teacher ratio in Korean school settings.
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OP10] implementing English language instruction

Post  Sera Jung on Fri Jun 13 2008, 08:02

You are right. Teacher needs to have leadership to control and manage whole class in a proper way . This ability is from individual's teaching experiences and that is why we can not just prefer a young teacher who has high level of English proficiency. This ability is required for teachers to teach English in a big size class.
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

From Easy expression with Authority...

Post  Seyoung Yoon on Fri Jun 13 2008, 12:37

Yeah.. I also think the first thing teachers should gain from students is authority, too. Students can get great progress only if they believe their teacher's absolute ability. TEE class also starts from that kinds of link between students and teacher. Like as you said, if teachers can make students be involved in their class without any doubt, then the techer-student ratio cannot be a problem any more.
Seyoung Yoon
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OP10] implementing English language instruction

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down