Last edited by Boyun Park on Tue May 13 2008, 08:59; edited 3 times in total
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary

Post  Boyun Park on Wed May 21 2008, 18:30

Junior Pinto, a 12-year old boy living in Britain, started working out in a local gym after his weight gain. The British government figure showed that many young children are overweight and obese. The problem is that British children don't have safe nor appropriate outdoor places to go or play. One company developed gym equipment especially targeted for children. They expect to create environment where children can come in to have fun, get fit, and make friends.
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Activities

Post  Boyun Park on Wed May 21 2008, 19:41

Pre-listening activities

1. Let the students be aware of the fact that children overweight or obese is a world problem.

2. Ask students' opinions of overweight problems. (To get their interest on the topic)

3. Give them brief information of Britain after some research. (its weather, welfare, people, the country, and etc.)

4. Teach them reading figures or graphs in English.

Post-listening comprehension activities

1. Give out 'Dictogloss' worksheets to help students' listening comprehension. Let them here the video about 3 times. (first, to get the gist of it and then second and third time to hear details)

2. Review the video with them by asking questions.(the main idea/ the cause of it/ problem/ one's opinion or prediction) This activity could also be done in group conversation among students depending on a class size.

3. Give them additional figures or graphs to understand or analyze. (students of 2 or 3 can share their thoughts and talk over them)

Post-listening productive activities

1. Students can compare children overweight/obese problem situations between Britain and Korea. (this research can be done at home in advance or after also)

2. Let them know about children overweight/obese problem related to future diseases. (this can actually alert and help students to stay in fit and healthy)

3. Have students share their (successful or difficult maybe)experiences on staying in shape and working out.

4. Group activity : Like the boy in video, Pinto,(personally) or gym equipment(provided by company) or maybe the government also... these are British actions toward children overweight problem, what can Korean children, company, or government do to solve the similar problem?

5. For extra work, students can draw up their own plans and goals to work out and stay healthy. (it doesn't necessary have to be long) This could help students to know their status and keep in track in real life.
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Workout for weighty kids~

Post  Jung Yoojin on Fri May 30 2008, 21:17

It is interesting to hear talking about children' obesity and the fact that they are dealing with their diet in local gym by exercising in Britain. It sounds a bit weird that children is exercising to lose their weight in gym not in the playground or somewhere outside in England due to their bad condition of weather and safety. I think these concerns are not limited in Britain, apart from Britain Korean children are also struggling with their obesity. Nowadays, lots of children are getting fat and become weight obesity. But Korean parents usually make them lose their weight by diet not by exercising. We need to contemplate this deeply ^^

(I think I deviate somehow.. haha.)Let's move on the activities. I like the pre-listening activity which you make students discuss the topic for eliciting students background knowledge. Learners can get to know easiliy by talking general overweight problems. And they surely get some information by that activity before their listening.

I would like comment more about the post-listeing activity for comprehension. Dicto-glass activity could do during while-listening rather than post-listening. It is good way to make students listen step by step but I think if that (no.1) implement on while-listening stage, it fits better. In addition , I wonder the post listening activity for production proceeds whether speaking in English or not. For productive stage, student can practice or produce their speaking skill or writing skills in target language.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Going on a diet not for beauty but for health.

Post  jihyun on Tue Jun 03 2008, 13:22

I often think that our students are poor to have no place to play on. When I remind of my old days(^^Wink, I had a lot of fun outside of the house. I hang around with my friends, playing hide-and -seek and skipping elastic thread(gomoojul). But thesedays, no one play outside. It's hard to see children playing outside. How shameful we, adults, are!! It's our fault. If I have my own children, I might be reluctant to let them play outside without protection. Having no place to run and play, it is natural result to have more obese children. Students will have interest in this story because they are so concerned about their appearance.

In terms of your lesson plan, I like your idea of pre-listening activities , especially number 3 and 4.
As my studying nowadays, cultural learning is as important as learing language. Without background knowledge
about British weather or cultural aspects, students might have trouble understanding the whole news.
So I think your plan to teach them information about the difference between British and Korea is good.

Further, teaching them figures or graphs in English may be helpful for them. Sometimes, students just don't know how to read or interprete them. Once they learned how to deal with those, they may not have trouble
dealing with those any more. It's a good strategy to learn.

I also think that we can modify this graph and fiture interpreting activity a little bit differently.
Reversely, we can give them some numerical value(? numbers) and ask them to draw a graph or figure by themselves. Through this activity, students can learn many things including interpreting information and make inference from it.

However, in post-listening productive activities, I can't perfectly understand what you mean by doing this. Doing internet sufring and book reading can be helpful. But, to be more effective, we need to have more specific lesson plan in post-listening productive activities. Wink
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Boyun Park

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Wed Jun 04 2008, 05:15

Hi, Bo-Yun! Nice meeting you here.^^ When I looked over your video, I soon found it interesting. So I wanted to add some of my ideas to your plan.

First of all, as I mentioned before, you're seen to have chosen a very good topic. Overweight children have continued to be a hot potato in Western culture and lately become an issue in Korea as well. For it is a well-known fact being often talked about among people of any age as well as in media, students will be familiar with the topic and pay attention to your class for the whole hour.

I like your pre-listening activity as much as I'd like to use the same way in my class, too. However the topic of video is interesting, it is easy for students to lose their focus as there is still a limit in having a discussion. If you bring such visualized materials as graphs or charts, nevertheless, it will enable you to get their attention in another way and also to supply them more to discuss. Additionally, your instructions of how to read a chart or a graph will help them be interested through an opportunity to learn something different from what they study in usual classes.

There is only one thing I want to recommend you. I don't know in which level students you're planning to teach, yet I'm sure they should be in quite higher level than normal students. Otherwise, it may fail to work or take too much time to finish all. Although there are some excellent students, most of the students can be embarrassed if you let them dictate what they hear on an empty paper and check it out verbally, in fact. Therefore, it would be better to make a True/False question, a summary with several blanks, or something like that and hand it out for the case you have lower-leveled students than you think.

You did a great work, by the way. And thanks for giving me fresh & useful ideas!

Last edited by Hyo-Jin Kim on Wed Jun 04 2008, 10:33; edited 1 time in total
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Always problem with obesity and overweight!

Post  Bae Sung-han on Wed Jun 04 2008, 07:32

To get students' attentions is most important to start in the class, so that yours is good and they will be interested.
If I am allowed to talk about my experience some time ago, I can say that the obese problem is so big right now. I had one who was much bigger than the others in the class. Even though he exercised so much, he could get rid of his extra weight.
Anyway, I would like to be back on your lesson plan.
In the pre-listening activities, you are going to teach them with figures and graphs, which students might not know about. It is good idea because the video news shows the graphs and students must figure it out what they mean.
In the post-listening productive activities, students need to think and talk the obesity as a disease. Compared to children in UK, students in Korea are also in trouble because they don't play in the ground and work out themselves even if they have got some time. And if you bring some pictures of this discussion related to the disease, they will quite well understand more than just imagination in the class, such as diabetes, cancers, and so on.
Good job and I am sending you big claps.^^ flower
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Wed Jun 04 2008, 09:50

The story is very interesting and proper for the students I think. First of all, nowadays many children suffer from the overweight and it happens around us. So I like your video choice because many students feel necessary to talk about the issues. And you organized your lesson plan very well. I think every step is proper, especially teaching them Britain culture is good. But, I don't understand what you mean at the first post-listening productive activity. Do they have to write something or make a discussion with other students after class? And in my opinion, it would be a better to add writing activities in the post-listening productive activities. For instance, students can be reporters and do an interview with other students about their opinion on the obesity problem. Besides they can make a journal based on what they get from other students through the interview. Then later you can make a simple class book or magazine using the journals the students wrote after the class and give them an assignment of reading it to improve their reading ability. It's just my opinion and I hope it would be useful for your class.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you all for such great tips!!(Some additions made)

Post  Boyun Park on Wed Jun 04 2008, 10:49

I've read all of replies to my video and I really thank them for giving me some advices. Very Happy
They are very helpful and made me desperately!!^^ want to add some things to my original lesson plan. Exclamation

on Post-listening productive activity,

1. Students can compare children overweight/obese problem situations between Britain and Korea. (this research can be done at home in advance or after also) Plus students may have interviews with other classmates about overweight/obese problems and give a short presentation or have a small group talk after for English speaking time.

2. Let them know about children overweight/obese problem related to future diseases. (this can actually alert and help students to stay in fit and healthy) The teacher can use pictures rather than just explain them in words. Because showing pictures have strong impact on students.

Thank you again for helpful tips and I'll keep those in mind. sunny
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Your lesson plan looks perfect to me!!

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 09:38

I like both the news article you have chosen and your well-schemed lesson plan. You describe every activity in detail, so it seems like just following your lesson plan will gaurantee one very successful English class.

Obesity is considered a very serious problem these days, so it's important to teach students about having desriable eating and exercising habits to stay healthy. Your lesson will be very useful in raising awareness of the students regarding keeping in shape and staying healthy.
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Boyeun on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:58

The topic about obesity is interesting and big issue for childrend all over the world. This is beacause many childrend have already suffer from obesity so try to seek way to lose their weghit. Also various public advertisement is warning the seriousness.

By using this topic teachers easily attract childrend' interests and many of the students will be likely to participate in activiteis. Moreover activities from listening wirting and speaking are included .
Kim Boyeun
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:35

This article is closely related to the students' story with regard to outdoor places only for teenagers. I'm sure that students will show much interest to this article and highly motivated to do anything during a class. Two problems, teenager's obesity and the lack of outdoor places to play, are things to be deal with.

Furthermore, I like your first activity, 'Dictogloss' in which students can focus on the form as well as the contents. As times go up, they are expected to have more detailed information. The time when students share their own experiences with others would be a good extensive way. Also, it will be a good chance for them to keep healthy. Very Happy
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sound Body & sound mind

Post  bobosbong on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:07

Hello~^_^

I think your topic will attract both girls and boys: needless to say, girls are always diet conscious and boys too nowadays follow the well-built celebrities. In this sense, if you could show them some photos of attractive stars, they would further arouse your students' attention.
In addition, teaching how to read figures and graphs is impressive. Since they're highly related to real life, students could apply it to their daily routines such as reading price tags, listening to weather forecast, etc.
Finally, I have one suggestion, this might be a little childish, but having a calculating competition will activate their automaticity of connecting number concept with English.
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

'Content-ful' approach!!

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:23

I found one of the outstanding features you are mentioning is to provide extra learning opportunities as well. I mean, in addition to the language ability, you are prompting students to learn from the news article and change their behaviors in the end. So, I like your content which is practical and expand to the everyday living. Before I read this lesson plan, I couldn't imagine how many different topics can be made, not to mention of their all being associated with the main topic, obesities of the youth. It's incredible to make so many different themes to discuss within a class. Great job! By the way, what i want to add in the post-listening stage is gathering students' ideas from group activities and then let them present in front of the class. I believe this will enhance students' interests and draw attention from them, having them consistently involving and interacting with the teacher and other classmates^^. alien Laughing lol!
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you~~~!!! *^^*

Post  Boyun Park on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:10

Hello classmates~ Like a Star @ heaven

Thank you all for kind and helpful replies. I was really pleased and thrilled to read all of them. Very Happy ^^ As most of you have mentioned, overweight/obese problem is a big issue these days. It's not only because they care for health but also young students put much emphasis on their appearance than ever before.

I was also surprise with many students' fresh, brilliant, and fun lesson plans while doing this assignment and was happy to share thoughts with them!Smile I can't believe the semester is almost over now and looking back at our forum, it's quite satisfying, right??!! I love you It seemed hard and even a little burden? Question Wink at first but we all can see our improvements and this whole forum itself is the evidence!! cheers

Thank you again for all replies and hope to keep in touch with you guys. flower

See you all in a while~ Like a Star @ heaven
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down