Post  Oksun on Tue May 13 2008, 07:09

Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SUMMARY

Post  Oksun on Wed May 21 2008, 09:55

As garbage landfills, which is 30 kilometers away from Beijing, are strung with plastic bags, China launched crack down on production of plastic bags, forbidding supermarkets and shops from handing out free carrier bags after June 1st. With 3 billion plastic bags used every day, the ban doesn't seem to be implementd easily. Outdoor vegetable markets rely almost entirely on plastic bags. Life is getting bettr for cloth bag makers, whereas plastic bag makes worry about losing business. Shops and markets order cloth bags to use them as free promotional gifts to their customers. The cloth bag company is struggling to deliver on time, even if each worker produces up to 1000 bags a day. However, banning plastic bags and promoting cloth bags is not the ultimate solution.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-listening Activities

Post  Oksun on Thu May 22 2008, 06:10

= Building from clues =

Arrange students groups of 4.The aim is to motivate students to listen, activate prior knowledge,link new knowledge to prior knowledge,and make predictions and share.

1. Selects & shows 6 phrases, words or pictures as clues.
  2. Fold a piece of paper in half and then in thirds so that each student have 6 boxes.
  3. Write the title of each clue as headings in each box.
  4. Write in each box each student's prediction of how the clue will have an impact on setting,events,problems,etc.
  5. students share a few of their ideas with the whole group.

Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post -listening productive activities

Post  Oksun on Thu May 22 2008, 06:20

= Placemat =

Students are placed in groups of four. Each group is given a placemat. The placemat is divided into 4 so that each person has a place for his or her ideas.

1. Each student is given some information or main ideas and details from the video they listened to .
  2. Each student "writes" his/her information on a section of the placemat.
  3. Students "share"with the group what they've written. Students agree what the key concepts are and record it in the middle of the placemat. Students may record any new ideas that they generate through discussion.
  4. Students "write" their own versions of story.
  5. A spokesperson from each of the group makes a presentation and compare with other groups' stories.
  6. Teacher let students assess themselves and their peers with stickers as a reward, depending on their own criteria.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post-listening Comprehension Activities

Post  Oksun on Thu May 22 2008, 06:43

In this stage, I'd like apply two kinds of strategies as follows.

= Language Shack =

Each student is given two kinds of cloze test based on the original script.-content words-oriented and funtion words-oriented. Comparing the origianl script with their own written versions allows good review and self-correction for students.

= Jig-Saw =

The aim is reinforce understanding. A teacher introduces the concept of a jigsaw puzzle with all pieces fitting together to make a whole.

1. The class is arranged in as many groups as there are sections which are based on the original script. -this is called "Home Group".
  2. Each student in home group receives a letter (a,b,c,d,e,f,etc.)
  3. Teacher regroups the class according to common letters .-this is "Expert Group".
  4. In expert groups, students are given their section of the script to read. Students work collaborately with their group to clarify understanding and vocabulary so as to become experts and to decide how to teach the concepts to their own home group.
  5. Students return to their Home Group and each member presents their information to the group. Students in turn can ask questions to make sure they fully understand.

In reality, my students seem to enjoy Jigsaw puzzle strategy. The strong point of this strategy is to make students feel like experts, teachers, or person of importance. Smile
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crackdown on plastic bags in China

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sat May 31 2008, 08:38

I really enjoyed your activity plans. I haven't implement some activities to students in English but those productive activities sound very helpful to learn either language or social skills. And I was a little bit surprised they like group works. In my case, during my teaching practice I tried doing group works in French class but actually they don't really like it. I was uspet when I was trying to do group works . Our colleges started to discuss it. After discussion with our colleges we have got the cause! If students are beginners, they don't know how to do the task in groups and they do not have enough ability to accomplish their tasks. Do you agree with this?? ^^
This content reminds me awareness of enviroment. If learners listen and practice this videoclip, they will learn something about environmental preservance as well as their listening skills. I agree with your idea on pre and post activities. I think to link the new item with students' prior knowledge is the best way to do in pre-listening task. I don't really have pinpoint your shortage on activites.ㅠㅠ haha.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

i love activities!

Post  sunnypine on Sun Jun 01 2008, 21:14

hello, Oksun. Good job!! I like your lesson plan. I love activities. First of all, I think your video topic is alright. Students should know about environment of course. And it's about China!! We all know China will hold Olympic games in Beijiing. Also we kinda think China is dirty country. That can be, of course, prejudice. Just I mean that students will be really curious about real China's situation or the way of solution. So this video is interesting enough to catch students' attention. Second of all I like your group style of activities. These group activities are not competitive. So that way students don't need to feel nervous about doing their work. They just can have fun and learn at the same time! But I have a question, for the pre activity and post comprehension activity, do they have same group as 4? or change each time? Also I think if they change their groups too often in one class with 30 students at least, it can be a little bit distracting.
Good work! I like your well organized lesson plan. you are such a good model of good teacher. see you!
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News From Oksun Jeong

Post  inmyheart479 on Mon Jun 02 2008, 10:16

1. what I think of the video content

It is very great to have a chance to see different lesson plan with the same video clip of the news. Your choice of the news is the same as some others' but your lesson plan as well as the others' has its own distinctive features. As I mentioned on the Mihyun's plan, the topic is very timely and will get students to be reminded of both the "issue of environment" and different efforts which several countries are making. Above all this video news fits well into the level of secondary school to implement the plan you suggested.

2. what I like about your lesson plan

With a first skimming your whole lesson plan, I consider the plan to be very fun-packed and exciting. I find out that the lesson for listening activity can be involving various kinds of activity to boost students' listening skill as well as to motivate them through the whole class. This lesson gets away from normal but rather boring listening class proceeding to the engaging listening class along with several interesting activities. I haven't come to think of the way linking Jig saw puzzle to the listening activity. Excellent!

3. what I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

Your lesson plan is very interactive and motivating in that all of the students take part in the lesson with their classmates. What I wonder here is that you will include teaching vocabularies and grammar on the script before the listening for the students' better understanding of the news or you will just go with as your lesson plan shows. And in my opinion, all the activities are very innovative and fun to draw students' attention but it will take extra time to implement all of them. How would you like to manage to do that?

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better

I like your idea of collaboration as a post-listening productive activity. Your lesson seems like to be based on the collaboration in the class. I think when doing the group work, considering the gap of ability among students is very important because students with low proficiency might fall behind during the group work.

Thank you very much for sharing the awesome lesson plan. Very Happy

Oksun wrote:= Placemat =

Students are placed in groups of four. Each group is given a placemat. The placemat is divided into 4 so that each person has a place for his or her ideas.

1. Each student is given some information or main ideas and details from the video they listened to .
  2. Each student "writes" his/her information on a section of the placemat.
  3. Students "share"with the group what they've written. Students agree what the key concepts are and record it in the middle of the placemat. Students may record any new ideas that they generate through discussion.
  4. Students "write" their own versions of story.
  5. A spokesperson from each of the group makes a presentation and compare with other groups' stories.
  6. Teacher let students assess themselves and their peers with stickers as a reward, depending on their own criteria.

Last edited by inmyheart479 on Mon Jun 02 2008, 12:41; edited 1 time in total
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Jun 02 2008, 11:45

In the pre-listening part, I haven't thought about having prediction with some vocabularies because I must be stuck what I am used to teaching the same fomula in the class. You refreshed my thinking in my lesson in the pre-lesson. Matching words into pictures is always working in my case due to that their easily and better understanding what they will learn.

In the post-listening activities, this placemat is a good idea, which students can easily access and develop what they are doing with. And also they can help each other what they think. What I love your activity most is that you make them assess themselves. This might be the most diffictul part owing to that they may be not ready for doing it for themselve. - This is probably depending on students wholly.
I didn't know what language shack means. In this part, students can surely make each other perfect in the activity.

However, there is two curiositeis that I don't know quite well.
Firstly, students might be confusing what they are doing in post listeing activity such as that students generate some ideas from their thought. But there should be some topic -more specific details- what they should think about in it. And also there is no specific topic in the jigsaw activity. I am not sure what they do in this section. To better understand this, you should bring it in detail then.
Nevertheless, I would like to say thank you for refreshing me in the prelistening part. I will use it in my class surely.^^ flower
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oksun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 13:21

Bae Sung-han wrote:In the pre-listening part, I haven't thought about having prediction with some vocabularies because I must be stuck what I am used to teaching the same fomula in the class. You refreshed my thinking in my lesson in the pre-lesson. Matching words into pictures is always working in my case due to that their easily and better understanding what they will learn.

In the post-listening activities, this placemat is a good idea, which students can easily access and develop what they are doing with. And also they can help each other what they think. What I love your activity most is that you make them assess themselves. This might be the most diffictul part owing to that they may be not ready for doing it for themselve. - This is probably depending on students wholly.
I didn't know what language shack means. In this part, students can surely make each other perfect in the activity.

However, there is two curiositeis that I don't know quite well.
Firstly, students might be confusing what they are doing in post listeing activity such as that students generate some ideas from their thought. But there should be some topic -more specific details- what they should think about in it. And also there is no specific topic in the jigsaw activity. I am not sure what they do in this section. To better understand this, you should bring it in detail then.
Nevertheless, I would like to say thank you for refreshing me in the prelistening part. I will use it in my class surely.^^ flower
Hi,Sunghan. I'd like to put some explanation for you .
"Language Shack" is the strategy that we've learned from Jason the other day.
By changing the papers which contains some missing words from the full script, students can check their whole understanding of the video clip. The papers consist of two kinds of thing - One has some missing words for catching function words like articles or preposions , etc. and the other paper has some missing words for catching content words like nouns or adjectives and so forth. Can you remember?
In "Jigsaw Puzzle ", you use the full script as a material. You divide the script into four parts and let the students have the activity. It is a relatively well-known activity . If you are not sure about that, I'll let you know in person so long as you want me to. Thanks for your feedback. Smile
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon Jun 02 2008, 19:01

1. I also chose this video news because it is easier for high school students to understand in terms of speed, schematic knowledge, and pronunciation than other video clips. I think we are of one opinion.

2. I am very impressed by your amazing lesson plan. The lesson plan includes various kinds of interesting and educational activities. None of the activities look like each other or look boring at all. Most importantly, all foster students' learning effectively.

To begin with, I think self- and peer-assessments are one of great ways to assess students. These assessments allow students to think critically about their learning and to set criteria of assessing their or others' work. Practicing self- and peer- assessments also helps students' learning when they study by themselves. Students can learn what should be improved in their learning or work without teachers who evaluate their work and give feedback.

Second, I like stickers! I have no doubt that students, especially young learners, would love to collect stickers. Anticipating reward, students will participate in activities with enthusiasm.

My favorite is the jig-saw activity though. This activity puts interaction and communication first, which can never be overemphasized in language learning. Moreover, it is fun. Students would love to do this activity, which means they can be motivated intrinsically.

3. As a part of post-listening productive activities, students write their own versions of story. I am wondering, is this based on their comprehension of the news or discussion? Or is it up to students' choice?

4. Students speak or write mainly about the facts during productive activities. I think students also can discuss Chinese government's crackdown, express and exchange their own opinions, and make a prediction each other.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You chose the same as mine. Interesting!!

Post  jihyun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 20:49

In terms of the contents itself, I think this is good to learn in several reasons. First of all, the story is not that difficult because we, Koreans, also have this kind of problems currently. And I think the repoter's pronunciation is much easier than other news listening. Also the contents is very educational. This news can make students think about our own earth and envirionment one more time.
Further, this learning can affect the behavior of students using materials. So I think the content
is good.

Regarding the lesson plan, wow, you are so creative. I know you have long teaching experiences but this is shocking. How can you make this kind of various tasks and let students do it? Actually I can't
manage the class well doing very active activity like this especially jigsaw task.
Someday, I saw my next-class teacher doing jigsaw task, but it was so noisy that we also couldn't focus on our job. Anyway...... If time permits, please tell us about your experience more. It was fun.

By the way, I have some questions about your activity. Who is the one that write the title of each clue in pre-listehing activity numbe 3 ? If it is a students, don't you think it is too difficult to let them guess and write down it? Is it done collaboratively?

I like your placemat activity. Having them cooperate and generate something by themselves is
good way to help affective aspect. By interacting each other, students feel less anxiety and make better outcom of the activity. Among the rest, I like your idea that students assess themselves and
peers not teacher. I learned that self-assessing and peer-assessing is good way to learn.

But I disagree about your idea that students assess their works according to their own criteria. I think they have to have same criteria to assess something. Then we can have standard criteria for any further activity. Or is there any reason that students have their own criteria? I just wonder.

Anyway, thank you for suggesting various good activities. ^^*
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

what a great lesson plan.^^

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Tue Jun 03 2008, 06:37

1. This content of video is closely connected with the problem in our real life. A decade ago, we went through this hardship and just now has turned into the change. Its topic is easy-to-understand and interesting enough to get students' attention. Therefore, I think that you choose the suitable video for teaching English based on the contents in the news video.

2. I would give you many claps for a couple of specified explanations and detailed procedures in each activity. Especially, in Jigsaw activity it reminds me of the interesting activity in my university class which was implemented with many intriguing materials. Because of that activity, we as students feel satisfied with the learning of class. Also, in Language Shack part, it is a impressive idea to apply in a class because this clozed test in which students have chances to learn both function words and content words is categorized under the integrative test. I think that this application is an effective inductive method making students think of grammars and meaning of words. Also, it leads them to the independent learners.

3, 4. Frankly, I couldn't point out something supplementary in your lesson plan. However, if I HAVE TO do that, I think that the number of listening to the video is not enough to make students fully understand its content. In other words, you need to play it several times to make it sure that they are adapted to the listening activity. And if possible, I would see how to teach vocabularies and grammars which seem to be a little difficult. In my case, I just make a word list for matching each definition, but it seems that you have more striking ideas.

I think your students must be pleased with your teaching. Very Happy
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oksun on Tue Jun 03 2008, 07:11

jihyun wrote:In terms of the contents itself, I think this is good to learn in several reasons. First of all, the story is not that difficult because we, Koreans, also have this kind of problems currently. And I think the repoter's pronunciation is much easier than other news listening. Also the contents is very educational. This news can make students think about our own earth and envirionment one more time.
Further, this learning can affect the behavior of students using materials. So I think the content
is good.

Regarding the lesson plan, wow, you are so creative. I know you have long teaching experiences but this is shocking. How can you make this kind of various tasks and let students do it? Actually I can't
manage the class well doing very active activity like this especially jigsaw task.
Someday, I saw my next-class teacher doing jigsaw task, but it was so noisy that we also couldn't focus on our job. Anyway...... If time permits, please tell us about your experience more. It was fun.

By the way, I have some questions about your activity. Who is the one that write the title of each clue in pre-listehing activity numbe 3 ? If it is a students, don't you think it is too difficult to let them guess and write down it? Is it done collaboratively?

I like your placemat activity. Having them cooperate and generate something by themselves is
good way to help affective aspect. By interacting each other, students feel less anxiety and make better outcom of the activity. Among the rest, I like your idea that students assess themselves and
peers not teacher. I learned that self-assessing and peer-assessing is good way to learn.

But I disagree about your idea that students assess their works according to their own criteria. I think they have to have same criteria to assess something. Then we can have standard criteria for any further activity. Or is there any reason that students have their own criteria? I just wonder.

Anyway, thank you for suggesting various good activities. ^^*
Hi,Jihyun!
In pre-listening stage, it's teacher who makes title for each clues. As you said, it's difficult to let students make them actually. Maybe it could be possible for advanced-level students ,though. Regarding assessment, I just want to give students a chance to evaluate their peers as if they were teachers. This assessment is not counted for their test scores, for sure. Is that clear? Thanks for your feedback. Very Happy
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This is great...^^

Post  Nam-suk on Tue Jun 03 2008, 19:28

Currently, China is the absolute country of which is right in the center of the global attention with various reasons..in this point, this is good enough for the students as an eye-catching topic. Personally, your plan seems to be based on the autonomous work of students' own(as a group) like letting them to evaluate the results of their peer groups' work with their own criteria(with stickers..) and even making them act like an expert or a teacher in a group to be responsible for having group members to understand the script...I was so impressed with it..
In this part, even if the members of "expert group" have different level of English, through a chance to share their opinions and thoughts about the way to convey their tips for making group members understand the whole concepts of script, it might almost be covered, I guess. Also, there's another aspect that leader with relatively lower level can have a great opportunity to challenge for the better as well. Overall it's really convincing to me..^^
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Wed Jun 04 2008, 22:20

Hello~*

Trash problem is not only Chinese but also Korean(and probably the whole world's). We Koreans used and still waste plastic bags a lot. However, we can see more often see people carrying cloth bags or recycling paper or plastic bags so that's a good sign. ^^ sunny

I really like your lesson plan and think they are well made. Students will have a fun English time following that plan because yours is full of active activity and game-like quiz combined. Wow, especially, the jig-saw!! To be honest, I had a little trouble at first understanding the game but as I followed the order once again with imaginary class in mind, it was easily comprehended.(No doubt in reality, your students enjoy it very much!! Did you make the game or is there a similar one like this one?!! Exclamation ) This activity will help students to understand the video in details.

If there's a little comment I want to make, it's that the teacher could add some questions for students to discuss related to the video in post-productive activity. I just felt that students could use some time to talk in groups about this video related issue.(because there are many things to say about this topic)--I was wondering if the number 3~5activity in post-productive stage were similar to this comment? The activity seems to have a little to much focus on the context itself and students' comprehension. That was just my thought and I really liked your flow overall.

Thank you for sharing a fun lesson plan ! Very Happy
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

trash problem

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Jun 05 2008, 01:32

1. I also chose this topic because nowadays people worry about the environment very much. I think the problem that China has now is similar to the one that we had a couple of decades ago. Now, the Korean government regulates the plastic bag usage, and I guess Chinese government will do as ours did. Using plastic bag is convenient, but because of us always our nature suffers.

2. You applied twist-turny style to the lesson! I think that's great and also I like the Jig-saw strategy. I think, in your lesson plan, you try to make student understand the concept from the news through various activities. Also, by working together, students will learn how to cooperate with each other. However, I feel like there are not many listening chances even though it's listening class (less use of main material); instead, I can see more writing, reading or speaking activities. (of course, by listening to other classmates' speaking English, students can enhance their listening skill, but the main material seems not to be used that much.)

3. I just wonder whether just assesment can happen if the teacher let the students assess each other depending on their own criteria.

4. You can add more listening activities like filling out blanks after listening to the news several times, or you can check whether the students understood the content or main idea by asking them some questions.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I can see why experience is important!!

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 02:24

First of all, I'd like to say that I like the news article that you chose for class. These days, the environment is a really big issue, so we can easily find reading materials about this issue in English textbooks. So I believe we can use this news article effectively as an authentic material for further study after dealing with the related reading materials in the textbook first.

And your lesson plan is so amazing. It is really well planned with good, specific guidelines, so I think with your news article and lesson plan, a teacher can lead a good lesson about the environment. If I have a chance, I'd like to use your ideas in my own class at school.

There are many things required to be a good English teacher, and obviously experience is one of them. I'd like to learn a lot from experienced teachers like you. Thanks.
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:12

You used so many activities that are familiar to us. I know each of them. But I've never thought that I could use them in my class. They are just activities that I learned as theory.
But you use them in a real class. It's so amazing!! Especially I really like your jig-saw activity. It's very useful. Students must be experts in their part. They are reponsible for their own parts and will do their best to know it well. Members learn them from the expert students. It may be so interesting. it makes the class so dynamic.
And I also like your 'clue' activity. i usually show them to my students directly. But by 'clue' activity, students try to connect the new concept with the familiar ones. The meaningful learning happens here.
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down