Post  Lee Pilsu on Tue May 13 2008, 05:50

Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary

Post  Lee Pilsu on Tue May 20 2008, 08:23

Summary: Myanmar government is not allowing foreign aids to come in their country even though thousands of its people lost their lives and millions of others are at risk after the catastrophic storm hit the nation. The government eased up the restrictions just a little and United Nation's Secretary General Ban Ki-moon voiced his anger and frustration at the slow rate of the government's granting the aid supply that should be distributed to the victims immediately. According to U.N Humanitarian representative, it is feared that the situation will get worse as the rainy season is going to start sooner or later.

Last edited by Lee Pilsu on Thu May 22 2008, 09:47; edited 1 time in total
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pre-listening Activities

Post  Lee Pilsu on Thu May 22 2008, 09:47

Pre-listening activities

1. Teacher shows students the Korean news that covered the incident. After that, teacher asks students what the main points about the news either in Korean or English. The point of this activity is to let the students understand some background knowledge of the news before they listen to a similar news in English later on. If the news is unfamiliar to students, they will feel more difficult understanding it than they do when listening to a familiar ones.

2. Once this done, teacher asks students to do some brainstorming about the words they're most likely to hear related with this incident. Since this is a story concerning primarily 'natural disaster' and 'giving an aid from other countries', students are expected to say "strong storm", "dead(or sick) people", "lost home", "foreign nations", "help", "government", etc. Teacher writes all of them down and group the words under the same theme. This will help the students to know a string of words of similar concepts. Also teacher can provide important and somewhat difficult words students might not catch as they listen to the news.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post-listening Comprehension Activities

Post  Lee Pilsu on Thu May 22 2008, 10:48

Post-listening Comprehension Activities

1. On the first stage, teacher prepares some questions to check up students' overall understanding of the news article. For example, "Which country are we talking about?" "What happened there?" "How many people were dead?" "Which foreign countries are trying to help?" "Why is U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon so upset?" "What's the problem there?" Teacher, however, is not supposed to ask all of these questions all at once. Instead, he or she divides the questions into two parts: questions for the first part of the news and questions for the second half. The point of this division is for the students to concentrate on the news more effectively as they are required to understand only half of the whole news at a time. Teacher plays the news article only halfway and discuss the questions with the students. Completing this, they move on to the second part of the news. In this stage, students should not be given too much burden of having to answer the questions 'perfectly.' The goal of this process is let students grasp the general idea of the news.

2. On the second stage, students are going to listen again and write down only the key words for the understanding the news article on a blank sheet. Again, this will be divided into two parts: the first half and the second half of the news. After they jot them down, teacher asks a few of them to read what they wrote to the class or in a group of four or six students they can discuss what they produced and exchange ideas. The key words they write down should be useful to get the flow of the news.

3. On the third stage, teacher gives students script papers with many blanks. Students should fill them in as they listen to the news twice. Teacher checks them out with the students and gives hints or direct answers in the blanks students failed to fill in. If the students are independent, teacher let them make groups into four or six and allow them to exchange ideas with the group members to complete the task. After this, as a final comprehension activity, teacher asks similar questions as the ones in the first stage, but this time students are expected to give more better answers than they did in the first stage.

Last edited by Lee Pilsu on Sun May 25 2008, 07:26; edited 2 times in total
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Productive Activities

Post  Lee Pilsu on Thu May 22 2008, 13:15

Productive Activities

1. Teachers ask students to write letters concerning this incident. For example, some students can write letters of condolence to an imaginary friend in Myanmar whose family were the victims of this natural disaster. Also others can choose to write letters of complaint to Myanmar government, claiming for the government's acceptance of foreign aid and immediate distribution of the supply.

2. Teachers can provide another type of writing options. For example, "The situation will get better if...", "If I were the U.N. Secretary General, I would tell the Myanmar government that...", "The reasons why there had to be so many victims are....", "Things the global community should do to help out the victims in Myanmar are...."

After completing the writing task of student's choice, teacher asks seven or eight of the students to read theirs in front of other students who can give feedback later on. Or students can be grouped together and take turns reading each of their own writings to other students. Teacher walk around the classroom, observing and sometimes giving feedback to students who presented their writings.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News Article From Lee Pilsu

Post  billy on Wed May 28 2008, 06:24

Hello, Pilsu. I always admire your energetic participation in this online forum.
You chose an international topic which Koreans pay less attention to compared to the big earthquake in Sichuan Province, China, but for which more urgent action is required. As you mentioned, the UN Secretary General Ban, Ki Moon expressed a great worry about the situation in Myanmar aka Burma. From this video clip, students will be able to increase their understanding on the world issues.

Lee Pilsu wrote:Summary: Myanmar government is not allowing foreign aids to come in their country even though thousands of its people lost their lives and millions of others are at risk after the catastrophic storm hit the nation. The government eased up the restrictions just a little and United Nation's Secretary General Ban Ki-moon voiced his anger and frustration at the slow rate of the government's granting the aid supply that should be distributed to the victims immediately. According to U.N Humanitarian representative, it is feared that the situation will get worse as the rainy season is going to start sooner or later.
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  billy on Wed May 28 2008, 06:25

I think it is very good to show students some related Korean news about the situation in Myanmar first to improve their familiarity with the topic. They will be less afraid or lower inhibition they may have in listening to the 'real' current news which is faster than what they hear normally during the class. It will be also very helpful to introduce some words or expression relating to the topic concerned first in that they can have a chance to better know the notion or concept of what is being talked about especially for the 'intermediate' level students in public school.

Lee Pilsu wrote:Pre-listening activities

1. Teacher shows students the Korean news that covered the incident. After that, teacher asks students what the main points about the news either in Korean or English. The point of this activity is to let the students understand some background knowledge of the news before they listen to a similar news in English later on. If the news is unfamiliar to students, they will feel more difficult understanding it than they do when listening to a familiar ones.

2. Once this done, teacher asks students to do some brainstorming about the words they're most likely to hear related with this incident. Since this is a story concerning primarily 'natural disaster' and 'giving an aid from other countries', students are expected to say "strong storm", "dead(or sick) people", "lost home", "foreign nations", "help", "government", etc. Teacher writes all of them down and group the words under the same theme. This will help the students to know a string of words of similar concepts. Also teacher can provide important and somewhat difficult words students might not catch as they listen to the news.
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  billy on Wed May 28 2008, 06:25

Talking of your second part of the post-listening comprehension activity, I think it is very important to let students jot down what they hear word by word. Many people are talking about a general concept or topic. However, I think it will too hard for high school students to get even some general ideas of the normal-speed English news article. Plus, I guess it will be a little dangerous to ask students to read what they wrote in front of the whole class. They may have heightened anxiety of facing this difficult-to-comprehend listening materials. If you force them to do it, they may not want to do this activity any more.

Lee Pilsu wrote:Post-listening Comprehension Activities

1. On the first stage, teacher prepares some questions to check up students' overall understanding of the news article. For example, "Which country are we talking about?" "What happened there?" "How many people were dead?" "Which foreign countries are trying to help?" "Why is U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki-moon so upset?" "What's the problem there?" Teacher, however, is not supposed to ask all of these questions all at once. Instead, he or she divides the questions into two parts: questions for the first part of the news and questions for the second half. The point of this division is for the students to concentrate on the news more effectively as they are required to understand only half of the whole news at a time. Teacher plays the news article only halfway and discuss the questions with the students. Completing this, they move on to the second part of the news. In this stage, students should not be given too much burden of having to answer the questions 'perfectly.' The goal of this process is let students grasp the general idea of the news.

2. On the second stage, students are going to listen again and write down only the key words for the understanding the news article on a blank sheet. Again, this will be divided into two parts: the first half and the second half of the news. After they jot them down, teacher asks a few of them to read what they wrote to the class or in a group of four or six students they can discuss what they produced and exchange ideas. The key words they write down should be useful to get the flow of the news.

3. On the third stage, teacher gives students script papers with many blanks. Students should fill them in as they listen to the news twice. Teacher checks them out with the students and gives hints or direct answers in the blanks students failed to fill in. If the students are independent, teacher let them make groups into four or six and allow them to exchange ideas with the group members to complete the task. After this, as a final comprehension activity, teacher asks similar questions as the ones in the first stage, but this time students are expected to give more better answers than they did in the first stage.

Last edited by billy on Wed May 28 2008, 06:27; edited 1 time in total
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  billy on Wed May 28 2008, 06:26

On the post-listening productive activity, I think it is very good to give some specific topic such as writing letters of complaint to the Myanmar government because when students are allowed to write a general topic with no further specific clues, they may not know what to start with or write on, so just idle away their precious time.
I think your class plan is well-thought-out and to the point. However, I would like to ask you if you intend to do what you planned in one hour of class or not because I think it has a bit too much things to cover in one class. In addition, it would have been better if you had specified to which grade or level of students this teaching plan is intended.
Once again, I would like to thank you for giving me a chance to look around this wonderful outline of your teaching plan.

Lee Pilsu wrote:Productive Activities

1. Teachers ask students to write letters concerning this incident. For example, some students can write letters of condolence to an imaginary friend in Myanmar whose family were the victims of this natural disaster. Also others can choose to write letters of complaint to Myanmar government, claiming for the government's acceptance of foreign aid and immediate distribution of the supply.

2. Teachers can provide another type of writing options. For example, "The situation will get better if...", "If I were the U.N. Secretary General, I would tell the Myanmar government that...", "The reasons why there had to be so many victims are....", "Things the global community should do to help out the victims in Myanmar are...."

After completing the writing task of student's choice, teacher asks seven or eight of the students to read theirs in front of other students who can give feedback later on. Or students can be grouped together and take turns reading each of their own writings to other students. Teacher walk around the classroom, observing and sometimes giving feedback to students who presented their writings.
billy
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed May 28 2008, 08:01

Good Morning!

I thought you chose quite serious news but I changed my mind reading your pre-listening activity.

Some students might feel difficult and unfamiliar news about politics or things happned other countries. However, as you mentioned, background knowledge is really important to listen and understand. I like the idea let students watch Korean news for their background knowledge.

Brainstroming will also ease their tesnion about not fully understanding about the news. With their partners they can fill the gaps without stress. They can also build cooperation.

And I also like the part you mentioned about grouping the words. By grouping and maping words students can understand the relation between words.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed May 28 2008, 08:15

Lee Pilsu wrote:Post-listening Comprehension Activities

I think you palnned your lesson very systematically. I think after the thress stages I could understand any difficult news.

I like the idea you recommended that you make the news articel into two parts. Students cannot concetrate on the news the whole 1:30. And I think it is also good idea to ask the same questios twice at the first stage and the third stage.
At the first stage, like you said, the purpose should be grasping the general idea of the news. And after doing filling in the blanks and exchangning their ideas, they should understand the news more clearly. And that is the best time for them to answer the questions more specifically.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed May 28 2008, 08:29

Wow! What a practical English Class!!

I enjoyed reading your post-listeinig activity very much! I want to do that for my students, too.

You related listeining skills to writing and speaking skills. Writing letters to imaginary friends will be very stimulating and intersting. And they can complain abouth the government. Wow! very practical and survival activity! students should know how to express theri complaint in the real world.

When it coms to language structure alone or studing grammar without any context, it could be boring. However, with very real context, they can learn more casually and enjoy the lesson.

I like it very much!!
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed May 28 2008, 08:30

Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hi^^

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Thu May 29 2008, 00:59

Hello, Pilsu.
I think your assignment is the most popular in this forum.. I respect your motivated and active activity in type writing in this forum...^^ Nowadays we face too many tragedies here and there. the UN Secretary General Ban, Ki Moon played an important role in solving the problem. ( I am proud of him, this time..) I am sure that you organized your teaching plan very carefully. You suggested very good ideas as like " the situation will get better if....." The sentence form suggested by the teacher will help students take courage to speak out something in front of others. I will leave a short comment this time. Nice job !! Pilsu...
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

you are very popular....^^

Post  kim young-ah on Thu May 29 2008, 11:06

I think you treated a little serious news and it's unfamiliar to the stdents.
In this article, I felt sorry for the Myanmar disaster. And in spite of the Secretary General Ban's effort, Myanmar government rejected the UN aids. Maybe the rainy seasons will start.... I'm worrying that the situation will be getting worse if the rainy season begins...

Considering this article is unfamiliar to students, I like your lesson plan. You prepare the background knowledge and so it can make students know the current affairs and world issues. And it relieves student's burden about better and perfect listening without anything. I also like the words grouping. It can makes students get familiar with the current affairs. But I think you suggest so many questions. The article is difficult and so many questions... maybe students can think this activity very hard...

And in productive activity, I want the predition. You already mentioned the composition like making sentences "The situation will get better if...." and so on. Rather, to improve the speaking ability, I would like to add the speaking activity as well as composition.
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Thu May 29 2008, 11:25

I like the idea, brainstorming of some words students will listen and catch. Through this part, they will be more comfortable and confident in their attitude as listening to it. I would like to explain our case in the past. That would be more touching to them.
And your video is similar to mine coindicidently.^^ flower

Last edited by Bae Sung-han on Fri May 30 2008, 06:43; edited 1 time in total
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Clear summary

Post  jihyun on Thu May 29 2008, 12:49

Actually, I have phobia about policial news. I don't know the exact reason of having it. Maybe I did't practice listening it a lot. But yours are not that difficult. So I enjoyed listening your news. I think the contents are a little bit familiar to us. Because we, including me, have background knowledge about that story. And UN secretary general Ban Ki-Moon makes it much easier to listen to the news because just having some words and some topics which are familiar with is very helpful to relieve a learner. So I am sure
students will like your story and learn about the world wide story. Very Happy
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I love your post-listening productive activity!!!

Post  jihyun on Thu May 29 2008, 13:24

I think your post-listening productive activity is really good. It is genuine and realistic.
It is not a task which is for studying itself. It's a real-world task, even if we do not send our letter to the Myanmar. Of course some students have difficulty writing a letter. They might need to learn the form of the letter and grammar. But at least, they know some words related to this topic already by studying pre and while listening activity. So I think
teacher can make them write a letter with little help.

And even more, if we can make students read each other's letter and write a reply
each other, it can be more genuine. To do this, we can use computer. By using e-mail
or chatting room, teacher can give some resources to utilize to students when they write.

Anyway, If I have a chance, I will use this method(wiring a letter of condolence or complaint). By the way, I can't exactly understand of dividing the post-listening comprehension activity into two parts. You said you will divide the news into two parts and let them listen halfway first, and then the other half. I can't clearly understand the
purpose of this method. Anyway, they have to listen the whole news article. I can't understand just giving them a little more of pause between first and second parts is for what help. ^______^

But over all, I think your lesson plan are really great!!! Good job~
See you later~^^
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Really good job! a detailed plan.. ^^

Post  Kyeong-im on Sun Jun 01 2008, 18:38

Dear Pilsu,

Everytime I read your summary, it impressed me.This time it's no exception. Besides I was surprised at your detailed lesson plan. ^^

However, it's pity to hear so many video clips about disaster from you as well as other students. Next time, I hope we can hear more positive and happy news.

I like tow parts of your lesson plan. One is dividing news into two parts. Students can more concentrate on it owing to shortened content. Although 1 or 2 minutes is not too long to hear at a time the relative time perceived by listenter might be long, I think. The other is a writing using the subjunctive. It stimulates students' imagination. It may be fun to hear ingenious thinking.
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Sun Jun 01 2008, 20:58

1. A tropical cyclone which hit Burma has been a hot issue because of its merciless military junta, not to mention the huge damage and losses. Many people blamed the military junta for not taking care of citizens. It cannot be less interested in its own people. It seems that its only concern is how to maintain its power. It should have let aid workers in earlier. Under any circumstances, the government must put saving lives first.

I am very interested in world news. I am of the opinion that I should be aware of what is happening in other countries especially as an English language learner. I think this kind of basic knowledge about global current issues can foster and enrich communication with foreigners. However, this, I think, is more appropriate for more advanced students who can really discuss and talk about serious problems worldwide whose linguistic ability can reach out or cover those issues. It seems too difficult for highschool students. Moreover, gloomy news from a foreign country which some students even do not know where it is may fail to draw attention from or motivate students by news itself.

2. To begin with, I think grouping words into hierarchy is a great idea. In the process of subsumption and pruning, students can learn more effectively that these words will last longer in their cognitive structure.

In addition, I also like the activity of writing letters which is meaningful learning. There is no doubt that we write numerous letters in our daily life. Thus, this activity is highly related to the real world. Moreover, this has a clear objective both in and out of the classroom than just writing what they have listened from the news.

Next, I think it is a wonderful activity that students take a turn to read in a group. Reading aloud is one of the important factors to improve English ability, which rarely happens in Korean classrooms though. Reading aloud enhances comprehension by identifying meaning groups in sentences. This also allows students to check their own pronunciation and intonation by themselves, other students, and a teacher. Moreover, listening to other students' essays, students can compare with their own writing. This enables students to learn a lot from various essays and develop the ability of critical thinking.

3. Your lesson plan is well organized and is very detailed. There is nothing ambiguous I should require more explanation to clarify. Great!

4. I am of the opinion that if students are interrupted in the middle of the news, and too concerned about detail information, these two factors may cut off the flow and hinder students from getting gists. Therefore, what about this? Students listen to the whole news at once and can grasp general idea. Then listen again for specific idea?
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

U.S aids land in Myanmar

Post  Jung Yoojin on Tue Jun 03 2008, 20:30

You have lots of feedbacks^^ As I agree with billy's you chose a topic which is not really prominent in Korea compared to the earthquake in China. I am not sure students will like it or not but it is good for learners to introduce various topics. It is nice to see the general secretary of Unitied Nations Mr .Ban on news. I saw your careful lesson plan, and I want to comment on the pre-listening activity first. I read yours and I want to share with your opinions about that. I agree with the comment that if students are familiar with topic and the content, it is easy for learners to approach to listeing and they can listen to the news actively. But what I am trying to say is , if students know the news' content in Korean already, they would feel easy to listen the news without understanding news in English. I mean they feel it is quite familiar but they actually don't understand the content in English because they already knew the content. SO I think if students talks about the natural disaster before listening, they can get some comprehesive ideas what they are going to hear. I like your the post-comprehension activity on your lesson plan. I could feel you are focusing on students' comprehesion intensively. Especially those comprehension questions are really good to check students' comprehension. And I am also fond of your way of checking comprehension. Each half section, you are checking the answers with your students and make students grasp topic's gist. I think your activity trys giving processing time to students to work out. (which sounds very efficient for learners) The post-productive activity , writing mails, is very creative. Students feel interested in that activity and they will be eager to do that even students are reluctant to write something.
This encourages students to write certain grammatical forms such as the subjuctive mood,"if I were...... I would bla...bla..." That can be form-focused instruction within communicative context.^^
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:31

Hello~* Like a Star @ heaven

I can't quite imagine how much damage made nor many numbers of people are injured because the situation is really just terrible and getting worse as time goes by. I strongly believe the Myanmar government should take active action and let foreign aids land on their nation to rescue as many people as we all can. The more the government hesitate, the worse the situation and damage will get especially with upcoming rainy season.

First of all the topic was properly chosen because most students must have heard of the news and the Myanmar government behavior toward world's aid is something to talk about.

I think your lesson plan is very clear and organized for students to easily familiarize themselves to the article. I like the part where you let students hear the news divided into two. It's a fresh attempt for students and they'll feel more relaxed trying to hear English news.(Even though it's a topic they're quite aware of, it can be difficult for them to catch much content from hearing the news in whole at first.) Also, following your presented stages in post-listening activity part, students will be able see their improvement after watching the video several times. Exclamation

I was just wondering that it'll be better if you could add an information or backgrounds of why the Myanmar government is taking passive action toward world's aids. It could be probably be similar to N. Korea's situation or something more is going on. The students might have learned history of Myanmar in other classes such as social studies or geography but it'll be great if the teacher tells some stories of the country in prior to asking students about the article itself in post-listening activity part.(This could be done in pre-listening activity part too, to draw students' attention to the video. Or if any students have knowledge of Myanmar, they can give mini presentation in front of class.)

Well, that was just my thought but overall I really thought your lesson plan is well made!! Very Happy
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bobosbong on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:16

Hi~Pilsu~~
Your article is well-known to the Koreans that you'll easily get a good response from your students. And your lesson plan is quite challenging. It's mostly about writing activity, isn't it? I think students need to be pushed to write in English. If they keep avoiding since it's difficult, they can't expect any improvement in their English. However, I think there should be some specific plans to teach writing. Because it's new to most students, it might lead to their frustration or a total failure. If it's well prepared, it will help improve their English to a great extent.
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's pity to see the people in Myanmar

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:37

1. It is pity to see what happened in Myanmar, and it's so thankful because a lot of aids are coming from outside of Myanmar. However, it's so tragic to hear that soon it's rainy season. I don't know why nowadays the world has harsh natural disasters often. Through the news clip, it would be a good chance for students to count their blessings.

2. I like your lesson plans because there are building background knowledge, group discussion, and writing activities. Through the activities that you suggested, students will be able to approach listening English on the news in various aspects and will gradually get used to the English news listening. Many teachers suggested building background knowledge in their lesson plans, and I believe this is very important. Through the news articles, students will be able to learn about English and also about what is happening in the world Today.

3. Is watching the Korean news on Myanmar for better code switching from Korean to English when students are using English?

4. To practice some good deeds, the teacher can ask the students to search for the international organization to help people in Myanmar as their homework. Through this assignment, students will be able to feel that the contents that they heard in English is real and immediately affect them.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down