Post  Nam-suk on Mon May 12 2008, 20:16

Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary

Post  Nam-suk on Wed May 21 2008, 10:06

Summary : A number of camels in the Gulf region are dying after swallowing a pile of rubbish. A boy who lives in this region is trying to have people over the world be aware of this dangerous situation through a web site and go to the region to clean up with some people. And they also paln to use the raised money for protect this region like making biodegradable bag..The thing is this situation is getting worse due to the economic growth and increase of population in this region..

Last edited by Nam-suk on Wed May 21 2008, 10:14; edited 1 time in total
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Moon Nam-suk

Post  Nam-suk on Wed May 21 2008, 10:08

Pre-listening activity: First, teacher needs to have the students in groups, and give them a sheet with the picture that is related to the video clip (like camel on the desert covered with rubbish) and some words that are unfamiliar with students . And teacher needs to make them talk about the picture and words for a certain time..

Post-listening comprehension activity: Teacher needs to give each group a sheet with some questions. [like "Where can you find this serious situation over the world?", "What made camels die?", "What has been exacerbated the rubbish problem in that region?", "How do they want to use the raised money for that region?" and so on..]. Teacher needs to give them a certain time like 10-15 minutes to share their opinions and thoughts about these questions each other. When they check the answers, teacher tries to make students correct the answers each otheras an initial checking and then tries to check them together with the video clip.

Post-listening productive activity: Teacher tries to make students do "role play". First, students in each group need to decide one student from their groups to step up and act like a person who cares a lot for environment and make something creative and good for our nature as well like biodegradable plastic bag.. Each group members need to fully talk each other to create their own character within a certain time(like 10-15 minutes)...All players from each group take their turns for introducing themselves briefly(each player has his/her own stage), and then the other students can have random chances for asking questions to players about their thoughts and careers.(at this point, the same group members can help the actor answering questions)..Teacher can just let all students enjoy that parts and have fun each other as being like English speaking interviewers and interviewees...and it'll be better idea for teacher to join there as one of audiences and asking some key questions which might be helpful for students to get a main concept for this activity which is to warn them the seriousness of environmental issues and protect our planet...
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This topic is really unique!

Post  Jung Yoojin on Thu May 29 2008, 20:23

I was surprised when I hear this news. I haven't thought the desert environent can be withered by something. This sounds very unique to me, because we usually consider global warming or ozone holes or melthing iceberg and so on. But this news that camels are dying for eating rubbish which people had thrown away is surprising! I think this topic can warn students to keep their rubbish thing on their hands and not to litter anywhere. In terms of morality, children can learn language as well. And when the child and the person were interview, it is a little bit hard for students to understand.
Nam-suk wrote:Summary : A number of camels in the Gulf region are dying after swallowing a pile of rubbish. A boy who lives in this region is trying to have people over the world be aware of this dangerous situation through a web site and go to the region to clean up with some people. And they also paln to use the raised money for protect this region like making biodegradable bag..The thing is this situation is getting worse due to the economic growth and increase of population in this region..
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's very good to have known your activities

Post  Jung Yoojin on Thu May 29 2008, 20:45

I feel your procedure is very reasonable. First of all, pre-listening activiey is very neat and simple but helpful for learners to get some gist about videoclip. Especially using pictures, it can motivate students to talk about the topic and they can approach with realia. And another good thing is make students talk about unfamiliar words in groups. Students can guess the meaning of words by themselves, it can encourage students cooperate each other in groups. But I just wonder when you execute this, do learners speaking in their mother tongue or in English?? And I think it is good way give students some certain time to figure the activity our. Because when student debate on certain topic, if there are no limitations, the atmosphere would be chaotic. And I have a question about the post-listening stage for production. You mentioned you are going to have a role play in groups. In this activity, each group member will announce their opinions about creative or natural protective products and they can ask questions each other I could see these can be group discussion. Maybe you can give some roles to each group memebers such as a civilian , a protester of environment etc and you can assign an objective or purpose that participants must accomplish.

Nam-suk wrote: Pre-listening activity: First, teacher needs to have the students in groups, and give them a sheet with the picture that is related to the video clip (like camel on the desert covered with rubbish) and some words that are unfamiliar with students . And teacher needs to make them talk about the picture and words for a certain time..

Post-listening comprehension activity: Teacher needs to give each group a sheet with some questions. [like "Where can you find this serious situation over the world?", "What made camels die?", "What has been exacerbated the rubbish problem in that region?", "How do they want to use the raised money for that region?" and so on..]. Teacher needs to give them a certain time like 10-15 minutes to share their opinions and thoughts about these questions each other. When they check the answers, teacher tries to make students correct the answers each otheras an initial checking and then tries to check them together with the video clip.

Post-listening productive activity: Teacher tries to make students do "role play". First, students in each group need to decide one student from their groups to step up and act like a person who cares a lot for environment and make something creative and good for our nature as well like biodegradable plastic bag.. Each group members need to fully talk each other to create their own character within a certain time(like 10-15 minutes)...All players from each group take their turns for introducing themselves briefly(each player has his/her own stage), and then the other students can have players about their thoughts and careerandom chances for asking questions to rs.(at this point, the same group members can help the actor answering questions)..Teacher can just let all students enjoy that parts and have fun each other as being like English speaking interviewers and interviewees...and it'll be better idea for teacher to join there as one of audiences and asking some key questions which might be helpful for students to get a main concept for this activity which is to warn them the seriousness of environmental issues and protect our planet...
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good try! ^^

Post  Oksun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 09:50

Hi,Namsuk.
I didn't recognized that there is such an environmental problem even in a desert.Thanks for choosing and reminding me of the problem.
Especially I like your post-listening productive activity. It is similar to "Hot seat" stretegy I know-personally I like this one. All students can develop a better understanding of the chracters through thinking and role-playing. In my opinion,in this activity, teacher's role is very crucial to students. Teacher can be an "interviewer" - Such as "Oprah" in Oprah Winfrey talk show- to help the questioning begin or at any time in order to model types of questions which encourage critical thinking. Very Happy
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for your advice...^^

Post  Nam-suk on Mon Jun 02 2008, 13:44

Hi! Yoojin...Thanks for your advice...^^

Like you asked..all activities in my plan are really needed to be done in English for their absolute speaking practice like you said..I think I should have indicated it clearly.. And actually, I planned to have the other students as a group of interviewers to ask some random questions to a student who is going to act like an interviewee,,but like your advice, it might be an another effective way for the students who are responsible for asking questions to be named with certain roles..Thank you~^^
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I am glad to leave my praise for you.

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Jun 02 2008, 14:38

During a series of video news, this news is unique because this is a bit more challenging to students and they might be able to do their own way to develop our own planet. This is not only the problem in deserts, but also that in the world. So, all students might be interested in doing something in the domestic area. Your topic for the lesson is a good start I suppose.
In pre-listening part, you will give some video clips to students for them to discuss what the images look like one another. But additionally why don't you give them some key words if they are not enough to speak properly? I am sure you have already recognized it.

In the part of post-listening activity, you do right things with students to have comprehension check activities. Students need to know the answer exactly, if they don't know they will be confused a bit.
In the last section of post-listening activities, I love you roel-play idea. The environmental issue is the most intriguing one we are facing, so that if they stand up as a model of green movers, they will get some gist idea of the global problems and somewhat they will get solutions as well becasue they will discuss it among students. I hope they will take an action for our planet as well. Knowledge needs always actions.
Cheers!^^ flower
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed Jun 04 2008, 06:20

This video clip was quite interesting and serious. By watching and talking about this video clip, we can give Ss chances not only to boost their listening skills but also their environmnet spirit.

By looking at the picture of the dying cammel and studying words from the news, students can build a lot of background knowledge. With the knowledge, they can more fucus on the news.
After watching the news several times, I think they can answer all the questions. How about adding some more questions about the clip like T/F Questions? I think it also boost their focus on listening.

About the productive activity. I think it is a good idea to let them have all chances to talk. But I have some problems to fully understand the activity. When one person from each group have a certain character and say something in front of other students, what do the other students do? How about giving more concrete roles to students. Anyway I enjoyed the video clip. Have a nice day!
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Desert petrol! to the rescue!

Post  Lee yujin on Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:16

Your topic has good educational point in terms of enviromental and ecologicla issues.
Young studendts should be sensitive to this sort of problem which would affect their generation.
I didn't know that rubbish kills the camel slowly and painfully. Recklessly littered rubbish can be a death-or-live problem to this poor animals whuch have been faithful servants from ancient time.

Using pictures to introduce might be effective way, especially for young students. Also
It can be nice to let students find out the words they don't know through the group discussion.
But I think you as a teacher could provide more background knowledge to promote their comprehensibility.

In post-listening activity, you tend to manage the activity only in groups which actually help learners to get better result. However you also should employ some individual work to strike the balance among the students who havw different learning styles.

As a production activity,role paly is good to develop fluency and socioliguistic variables.
You need to relate the topic and role of this activity to the listening topic which is actually about the camel and rubbish. So you can also use the problem solving technique asking students how to save the camel from the rubbish or how to get rid of rubbish in the dessert.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:46

Oksun wrote:Hi,Namsuk.
I didn't recognized that there is such an environmental problem even in a desert.Thanks for choosing and reminding me of the problem.
Especially I like your post-listening productive activity. It is similar to "Hot seat" stretegy I know-personally I like this one. All students can develop a better understanding of the chracters through thinking and role-playing. In my opinion,in this activity, teacher's role is very crucial to students. Teacher can be an "interviewer" - Such as "Oprah" in Oprah Winfrey talk show- to help the questioning begin or at any time in order to model types of questions which encourage critical thinking. Very Happy

Thanks a lot for your tip..^^ Actually, I didn't know the exact name of this activity..I've just got that from you..Thank you..^^ and your advice for the productive activity is quite convincing..and I also thought students need to be leading roles like being a interviewer..teacher is just needed to be a facilitator like when Ss can't have a gist for this activity(like in the very beginning, they might not know what kind of questions can be appropriate or they might hesitate to get a random chance for asking to the interviewee)..Thanks..^^
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Jun 05 2008, 13:16

1. It's pity to see Camels swallow garbage. Well, I think because of humans innocent animals are suffering. However, it's good to see a boy is willing to help the camels by drawing attention from the world. I hope that camels will be safe soon. The video will make students aware of the human being's harmful deed toward other living things.

2. I think the ideas in your lesson plan are interesting. With the picture with camel, students will be more interested in the contents from the news. And more, group discussion will help the students' understanding about the article. The role play at the post-listening productive activity is brilliant because students will feel more fun about using English. And, whole through the lesson, I guess students will learn not only English listening and speaking skills, but also the caring heart for our nature.

3. I think during the activities, students are given a lot of chance to speak English. Do you allow the students to speak Korean or do you ban them to use their mother tongue?

4. You can also suggest students to search for suffering animals around the world
because of environmental pollution caused by human beings at the English written web site. The world is getting more polluted year by year, and it is important for students to have world view about today.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down