Post  Kim Jin-Young on Mon May 12 2008, 15:33

Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

summary

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Wed May 21 2008, 07:21

21 deaf people try to dance coordinately even if it is impossible to for them hear the music and feel rhythm. They feel the music through speaker's vibrations and memorize bits by hearts. This troop has performed in more than 40 countries and raised half million dollars. One member of this troop said that they have another big ambition of performing in Beijing Olympic. Despite a couple of difficulties, they strive to recruit new disabled members.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

listening activities.

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Wed May 21 2008, 07:22

1. Pre-listening :

a. Generate interest : I show this troop's performance video and let them know that all dancers are deaf.

b. Prediction content : By giving a few minutes, students make a guess about how they learn to dance.

c. Pre-learning vocabulary : Before listening to video, I introduce two kinds of activities: matching words to definition and filling the gaps in sentence.
ex) troop_ are soldiers, especially when they are in a large organized group doing a particular task.
recruit_ you select them and persuade them to join it or work for it.
ambition_ is the desire to be successful, rich, or powerful.

2. Post-listening : progress in a group discussion

a. Skimming questions (comprehensive questions related to a main idea)
ex) How do each member of this troop prepare for the performance?
What is their bigger ambition?

b. Scanning questions (detailed questions related to every fact)
ex) How many countries do they perform in?
How much money do they raise as charities?
Which event do they really participate in?

3. Post-listening : I lead students to other activities involving reading section and writing section.

a. Reading section : I distribute the whole video script and let students check whether every answer is correct or not.

b. Writing section : I lead them to write letters to any member of this troop. The content of writings involves admiration and encouragement.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback

Post  Liz on Thu May 29 2008, 08:40

1. what I think of the video content

This dance looks very difficult. Even normal dancers will take quite a long time to perform this. I just couldn't imagine how they can dance without hearing the music. They must have made an enormous amount of effort to perform this dance. They overcame the obstacles and they will inspire lots of people to do the same.

2. what I like about your lesson plan

What I liked about your lesson plan was having two kinds of questions in comprehension check part. We often ignore to ask skimming questions but they are important part. I also think that asking specific questions is good way to know their comprehension.

3. what I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

In vocabulary learning part, you are going to teach them by matching and filling the gaps. I'd like to know more specifically how you're going to make the worksheet of filling the gaps in sentence.

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better

In productive activity, you asked Ss to read the whole video script for checking the answers. If you just want Ss to check their answers, I think you can do that by showing the video again. This time, stop the video for each question.
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

very impressive...^^

Post  kim young-ah on Thu May 29 2008, 10:02

First of all, this video article is very impressive. How marvelous deaf people dance!
Seeing the scene of training, I find that they breathe and blow out their breath stonger than usual. The breath is a signal, I think. Over ten years before, I had watched the deaf dancer on TV. At that time, the heroine was a ballerina in Korea and she made use of the vibration of rhythm sticks or Koarean drum. Like this, these members of troop make use of the vibration of speaker's as well as their breath. And the article can make many students enourage in any way. Nothing is impossible.

In your lesson plan, I like the making questions about the article. So students can comprehend and think about the content better. But I am wondering about the filling-gap in the sentences activity , like Liz, and I cannot understand it well.

As for me, I would like to add the dancing activity for 2-3 minutes like the members that appeared on video news. I think it's very interesting. On video, the movement of hands or fingers was very detailed and marvelous. And also their gradual movement with their breath. If students imitate the movement, if possible, with their ears covered, they can experience another things.
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Kim Jin-Young

Post  Bae Sung-han on Thu May 29 2008, 10:34

Above all, I would like to say that the vedio are huge interesting to students because the performing art 21 people are showing is wonderfully beautiful with lights. I like it so much. And it might be some kind of big challenge for us as healthy people. I like your post-listening activity, reading part, becasue you will let them check the answers with the script which you will give it out to students. That makes them feel free and have some power to be indepenent as learners.

However, your lesson plan seems rather short, so I'd like to know more details which is what you will be doing in the class with this video.
There is one thing I am wondering is that why you think in the pre-listening, it is better to show the images first to students.
I would like to rather suggest that you should show only one picture, which they are performing as one statue in, saying to sudents that who they are, what they are doing, what special feature they have got and so on.

Kim Jin-Young wrote:1. Pre-listening :

a. Generate interest : I show this troop's performance video and let them know that all dancers are deaf.

b. Prediction content : By giving a few minutes, students make a guess about how they learn to dance.

c. Pre-learning vocabulary : Before listening to video, I introduce two kinds of activities: matching words to definition and filling the gaps in sentence.
ex) troop_ are soldiers, especially when they are in a large organized group doing a particular task.
recruit_ you select them and persuade them to join it or work for it.
ambition_ is the desire to be successful, rich, or powerful.

ex) How do each member of this troop prepare for the performance?

ex) How many countries do they perform in?

3. Post-listening : I lead students to other activities involving reading section and writing section.

a. Reading section : I distribute the whole video script and let students check whether every answer is correct or not.

b. Writing section : I lead them to write letters to any member of this troop. The content of writings involves admiration and encouragement.
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

the more detailed lesson plan..

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Sun Jun 01 2008, 20:14

1. Pre-listening :
a. Generate interest : I show this troop's performance video(not the news video) and let them know that all dancers are deaf. And then, I make students imagine how difficult they live or study in their daily lives. Through the latter part, students can come to the deep understanding of deaf people' characteristics.
b. Prediction content : I will give some time for students to make guesses about how they perform perfectly and what the possible difficulties are in practice. This thinking activity could be activated, depending on how much students understand deaf people themselves.
ex)
Matching words to definition (This word activity would lead students to the well understanding of context-based article. In other words, it facilitates the process of listening activity. )

------------------------------------------------------------
l troop_ recruit_ ambition_ conductor_ rhythm_ l
l fellow_ challenge_ coordinate_ charity_ ambition_ l
------------------------------------------------------------
1. are soldiers, especially when they are in a large organized group doing a particular task.
2. organize the various people and things involved in it.
3. you select them and persuade them to join it or work for it.
4. is a person who stands in front of an orchestra or choir and directs its performance.
5. is a regular series of sounds or movements.
6. is an organization which raises money in order to help people who are ill, disabled, or very poor.
7. is something new and difficult which requires great effort and determination.
8. is the desire to be successful, rich, or powerful.
9. is the desire to be successful, rich, or powerful.
10. are the people who you work with, do things with, or who are like you in some way.

Filling gaps (I will give several sentences excerpted in the video script and students fill in the blanks with words in box. This activity let students make guesses about word-formation, grammars, and meaning of words. Also, its activity could ease the process of understanding about the news video. It takes place within the context, or content, so it would be better for students to memorize words.)

----------------------------------------------
l coordinate, conductor, fellow, challenge, l
l through, ambition, raised, group, disabled. l
----------------------------------------------

- 21 people need to _______ perfectly to pull this dance off.
- Deaf performers of the chain art troop have to rely on the ________ to hear the rhythm.
- They communicate by breathing on the back of their __________ members.
- They need to feel music ________ speaker vibrations to memorize bits by hearts.
- The biggest __________ for us is that we can't hear the music.
- Organizers said they __________ half million dollars for disabled people's charities.
- Now, the troop has bigger _____________.
- The _________ also has no problem finding recruits among 19 million with disabilities.
- The chinese special art troop is getting phone calls almost every single day from eager parents with ____________ children.

ex)
How do each member of this troop prepare for the performance?
How do they practice to dance perfectly?

ex)
How many countries do they perform in?
How many disabled people perform in the chinese special art troop?
Do they have some problems recruit new members?
If someone is interested in participating in this group, how will he/she do at first?

a. Reading section : I distribute the whole video script the students and let students check whether every answer is correct or not. While students are checking their answers, they have chances to read the whole script. And then, I will play the video again when students reading the whole script.

b. Writing section : I lead them to write letters to any member of this chinese art troop. The content of writings involves admiration and encouragement.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's really touching news.

Post  jihyun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 20:06

If you had not said they are deaf, I would have not know that they are deaf persons. Wow, it's amazing.
Human is really something. They are so beautiful and amazing. Students will be also moved by that story.
And hopefully, they can change their attitude toward the disabled people. Our school's textbook has the lesson related to the disabled person. But that story is actually so boring and artificial. If I can modifiy my shool textbook, I willingly use this news story instead of that lesson.

I think teaching students according to the strategics is a good idea. As you suggest, scanning and skimming
strategics are effective to learn. So, I think your post-listening comprehension activity is good. Also, teaching the meaning of vocabularies with English English difinition is better than teaching them with Korean English definition. So I think your ideas are good. ^^

But, if you don't mind, I would like to modify for skimming questions a little bit. Because it doesn't sound like checking the main idea of the news. Also, in pre-listeing activity, I can't figure out what is filling out the gaps activity exactly.

And for more meaningful learning, how about sending their post-listening productive activity outcome, letters to the troop to real troop in China? They are real group and famous so I think it is possible to send them a letter.
Of course students need some help about grammar or vocabulary but if they have real aim to do this activity,
I am sure they will do their best. Laughing
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Touching story,isn't it?

Post  Oksun on Wed Jun 04 2008, 08:20

At first, I thought some normal dancers are performing there. How amazing their ability to perform the beautiful art is , in spite of their physical disability? I give them a big clap for their endeavor and passion. You chose a touching story to think about.
In pre-listening stage, you organized matching words and Filling gaps activities for making students comprehend the new words. As for filling-gap activity, it's an effective way to understand the meaning of the words in the contexts. How about trying to show them picture cards presenting the meaning of the words or letting them express the meaning by body languages or gestures?
In post-listening activity, why don't you apply jigsaw puzzle strategy for reading comprehension? Please refer to the procedures shown on my lesson plan, if you want.
In post-listening productive activity, I like your writing-letters activity. It would be helpful and effective to feel as if students were deaf people and sympathize the situation. Very Happy
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed Jun 04 2008, 10:15

I am also one of the moved people after watching it. It is so touching and this will make Ss ,who have some prejudice, have second thought about the physically chanllanged poeple. It will be very educational. I also hope to see the performance in Koera.

Thank you for more detailed lesson plan. You must have spent much time to make it better.

The questions are quite specific so Ss could understand the whole video clip well.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How concrete the lesson plan is!

Post  Ryu Jeong A on Wed Jun 04 2008, 18:35

First of all, the video content is composed of intriguing stories so that students have lower anxiety but simultaneously increasing attention on what's happening in the news. So, I think your choosing that material can not be good enough. Plus, I think your lesson plan is so deliberately designed that I can imagine every single step proceeding smoothly wih ease. However, the minor thing I want to add is in the post listening activity. That is, in addition to the writing and reading activity, it would be great opportunity to have students present their letters they've writen or ideas they think about the disabled (the latter will be possible if the class consists of advanced students only). I like your lesson plan, and it was very impressive to me. albino
Ryu Jeong A
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Deaf dancers find frame in China

Post  Jung Yoojin on Thu Jun 05 2008, 07:03

Hello Jinyoung! This news is very impressive to me. How surprised it is! Deaf dancers perform tuned to the music. It suddenly reminds me Beethovan. It is amazing how deaf person achieved such a wonderful performances. I should reflect my what I have done. Anyway-^^ I think you choose a very interesting and guidable topic for learners. Through this topic students can self-esteem as well as language itself.

I like your pre-listening especially number C, the vocabulary. Pre-learning vocabulary is important to help student listen to the news efficiently. I think matching words with their own prior knowledge can make students work hard. Students would feel more or less difficult but if they work in pairs or groups, they could handle it without difficulty. If they work in pairs, or groups, they can interact each other and augment their social skills indirectly through the activity.

In addition to that, I think your post-listening plan is attractive. Dividing two steps into skimming and scanning questions helps learners check their comprehension gradually. They can interact during group discussion. And then your writing activity shed a light on me. It can be authentic activity and they can enjoy writing mails to chinese dancers. If those letters can really exchagne each other, it could be awesome for learners! But I wonder it is possible or not, but the thing is students are trying writing , isn't it? haha.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Students will learn a lot from the news article.

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:10

I like the news article you have chosen. It is a really touching story, and I'm sure it will give a good lesson to students. Teaching a foreign language is also a part of education, so I think even in language class, we should try to teach students something about life, not just language skill itself. From the news article, students will be able to learn a precious lesson about how to overcome difficulties. Besides, they might get a dersirable and more balanced perspective for the physically-challenged person.

Often in English class here in Korea, we focus more on the form of the language rather than the content or the story, so it's quite easy for students to get distracted, not relating themselves to the lesson. So as a teacher, I think we try to provide students with interesting materials like the one you chose. Thanks.
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you for thoughtful comments!^^

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:44

Oksun wrote:
At first, I thought some normal dancers are performing there. How amazing their ability to perform the beautiful art is , in spite of their physical disability? I give them a big clap for their endeavor and passion. You chose a touching story to think about.
In pre-listening stage, you organized matching words and Filling gaps activities for making students comprehend the new words. As for filling-gap activity, it's an effective way to understand the meaning of the words in the contexts. How about trying to show them picture cards presenting the meaning of the words or letting them express the meaning by body languages or gestures?
In post-listening activity, why don't you apply jigsaw puzzle strategy for reading comprehension? Please refer to the procedures shown on my lesson plan, if you want.
In post-listening productive activity, I like your writing-letters activity. It would be helpful and effective to feel as if students were deaf people and sympathize the situation. Very Happy

Thank you for your kind and specific comments. Frankly, it seems that my class often tiresome and sleepy, which I think reflects my personality. I really hope to use the Jigsaw activity in a real class, but in my case there's a limitation to apply to my academy class. No I envy your school teachers in that you can implement anything helpful and interesting in a regular class as a multi-performancer.

Anyway, I feel grateful to leave your comments!^^
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

How creative you are!

Post  bobosbong on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:30

I think your overall lesson plan is very creative and well-organized.
First of all, making students guess how they learned to dance is a good prompt to attract their interest to the article. And your word match method is well-choosen; since you don't give the Korean meanig of the words to the studnets, it will improve students' sensitivity to English that is taking English as English not by the means of Korean. Moreover, the comprehension check is systematic; the proportion of skimming and scanning is adequately balanced. Finally, linking the listening to reading and writing is also a good strategy. Especially, the writing part. Writing a letter is an easy approach to writing, so it will encourage students to feel writing isn't too difficult a task.
My improvement suggestion is making the reading part more interesting. As you know, from the students' perspective, the least favorite part of learnig English is reading.
bobosbong
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down