Post  bakbann on Mon May 12 2008, 07:31

bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary

Post  bakbann on Wed May 21 2008, 08:06

Chinese government is launching a war against plastic bags. It restricts production of ultra-thin bags and cracks down on free plastic bag at every store. The government is expecting less use of plastic bags and efficient recycling in China. This clampdown also brings a minor change in its economy. While plastic bag manufacturers worry about decreasing sales, cloth bag producers are thrilled about its increasing selling.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Listening activities

Post  bakbann on Wed May 21 2008, 11:59

Exclamation Pre-listening activities

1. Predicting content from the title
-From the title, what do you think the news is about?
Students predict content from the title and talk about it with their partners. Then they share their ideas with the whole class.

2. Small discussion
-What was it like in Korea at first when its government outlawed free plastic bag?
-Who were/are for this crackdown and why?
-Who were/are against this regulation and why?
-What do you think about this restriction?
Students have a group discussion prior to the actual listening. They can bring out not only their own schmatic knowledge but also linguistic knowledge(e.g. words and expressions).

3. Vocabularies
-crack down
-ban
-plastic bag
-forbid
-regulation

Students learn some important vocabularies before the actual listening. Although there will be many other words or expressions unfamiliar to students, I am sure they can infer those words based on context. However, these words are essential to understand the gist.

Exclamation Post-listening comprehension activities

1. Asking about general information
-What is the topic?
-What does chinese governmen do?
Students talk with their partner what they heard then share with the whole class.

2. specific information
-What does the government encourage?
-What is its goal?
-Is it going to be easy or tough to ?
-To whom is this good news and to whom is this bad news?
I will hand out a piece of paper to choose right answers then check together.

Exclamation Post-listening productive activities

1. Discussion
-What do you think about this crackdown?
-Possible subtopics to talk about
Do you think this will help China reduce plastic bag garbage?
Is there anything Chinese government should do in the process of restriction?
Students discuss freely, expressing their opinions and interacting with all students in their group. Although I will give some questions to help students discuss, they are just "examples" to facilitate their discussion.

2. Writing
-Based on your groups discussion, write a short 3 paragraph essay: the first paragraph with pros, the second with cons, and the last with your own opinion. Each paragraph can be 1 or 2 sentences.
Students do an individual in-class writing based on their discussion.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hello Bakbann~

Post  Jung Yoojin on Fri May 30 2008, 20:54

First of all, I would like to say hello to you~ Your nickname is interesting! What does it refer to? haha~ Let's move on the topic. I heard this news from Oksun as well ^^(this topic would be popular!) Concerning the content, talking about too much use of plastbags and the effect on China makes me very interested. Through this content, students can realize using too much plastic bags anytime would influence badly even in Korea. That makes student learn concering with environment as well as learning English!

I like the way of executing pre-listening which is No.1, "Predicting content from title." It looks some extent traditional way, but the ordinary thing is working in peers and then check students' opinions with whole class. I think whenever students work in pairs, they can interact the most in classes. Learning language is important factor in English class but interaction between learners is also crutial factor especially in learning language. So I am fond of your activities which you encourage students work in pairs.

Last but not least , I want to comment one thing. Your activities are good, but I want you to set limit time when you give students have discussion or peer works. Sometimes students get their direction during their work if there is no limmitations. So givestudents specific time to fininsh and then check opinions together would be great!
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Very well-sutied to the secondary school students

Post  inmyheart479 on Mon Jun 02 2008, 04:54

1. what I think of the video content

The video is very timely when the world is shouting out "GO GREEN" and will get students to be reminded of both the "issue of environment" and different efforts which several countries are making. Even I get to see how much China is trying hard on the issue of environment. On top of that, this video news fits into the level of secondary school so that students make a guess and understand of it with interest.  

2. what I like about your lesson plan

I think pre-listening activities you suggested would be a good guidance for students to enter the next step of actual listening. Making a guess at what's going on in China just from the title of the news is a very good way for provoking students' thoughts as a pre-designed procedure before the actual listening. This also may lead to activate their background knowledge while working on it. I am in favor of previewing some vocabularies before listening as well with room for inference of vocabularies which they don't know. (It might be another option with vocabularies that students listen to the news without learning the vocabularies beforehand, maybe 2 times, and then they will get to learn some of them followed by one more listening.)

3. what I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

You make 2 discussions for pre-listening and post-listening activity in your lesson plan. I would like to know how different would that be except for the topic of the discussion. Is it just two different time of discussion like before and after the listening with different topic? Or will it be different in another way?

As for the vocabularies, would they be just presented on the paper with the meaning or do you let them guess first and write down of the meaning?

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better

Your lesson plan is well organized enough to bring full understanding of the news in the end. It would be a little better if some visual aids such as pictures are employed at some points. For example, when students make a guess at the content of the news from the title, you may use some pictures relevant to draw students' attention or show them at the stage of discussion. Thank you very much for the good lesson plan. Very Happy

bakbann wrote:Exclamation Pre-listening activities

Students predict content from the title and talk about it with their partners. Then they share their ideas with the whole class.

2. Small discussion
-What was it like in Korea at first when its government outlawed free plastic bag?
-Who were/are for this crackdown and why?
-Who were/are against this regulation and why?
-What do you think about this restriction?
Students have a group discussion prior to the actual listening. They can bring out not only their own schmatic knowledge but also linguistic knowledge(e.g. words and expressions).

3. Vocabularies
-crack down
-ban
-plastic bag
-forbid
-regulation

Students learn some important vocabularies before the actual listening. Although there will be many other words or expressions unfamiliar to students, I am sure they can infer those words based on context. However, these words are essential to understand the gist.

Exclamation Post-listening comprehension activities

-What is the topic?
-What does chinese governmen do?
Students talk with their partner what they heard then share with the whole class.

2. specific information
-What is its goal?
-Is it going to be easy or tough to ?
I will hand out a piece of paper to choose right answers then check together.

Exclamation Post-listening productive activities

1. Discussion
Is there anything Chinese government should do in the process of restriction?
Students discuss freely, expressing their opinions and interacting with all students in their group. Although I will give some questions to help students discuss, they are just "examples" to facilitate their discussion.

2. Writing
-Based on your groups discussion, write a short 3 paragraph essay: the first paragraph with pros, the second with cons, and the last with your own opinion. Each paragraph can be 1 or 2 sentences.
Students do an individual in-class writing based on their discussion.
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Mihyun Park

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Tue Jun 03 2008, 13:26

Hello~^^ I guess it is the first time to talk to you. I am so happy to finally have this chance and hope I can get to know you better next semester!

By the way, you know what? I first chose the same video for my class, but I had to choose another one after checking out what you posted here.^^; So I've wanted to reply to your lesson plan for sure.
I am of the opinion that you made an excellent choice of video. The points that I liked about the video were the American accent, the speed of speaking, and, of course, the content(or the topic). Though it's a good trial to have students exposed to various kinds of accents from many different English speaking countries, plenty of Korean students feel pretty uncomfortable in dealing with other accents beyond the American one. The video clip is easy to follow owing to both its accent and the speed which are just appropriate enough for students to comprehend. In addition, it includes a great topic that can be controversial. It enables the teacher to easily make the students speak and share their ideas for its familiarity.

Speaking of the things I like about your plan, one is to get students to predict content from the title before listening and the other is to ask about general information after that. While making predictions about what is going to be covered in the video with their partner, they will naturally come to be curious about the vocabularies. It will help the teacher make it easier grab students' attention during the presentation of those words, avoiding the tendency that students feel bored when they learn vocabularies. And confirming some information in the video with their partner before checking it out with a teacher is likely to be a good way to see if they actually understood. Since a few students usually depend on the teacher too much, they don't really try to get it and only wait for the teacher to give them the answers. The effect of listening activity must be doubled if you take some time for students to think back and summarize what they've heard.
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Wed Jun 04 2008, 21:24

Hello~*

Wow, trash problem is all over the world. People in the past had to worry about making and buying new stuff while we have to find a way to save the earth from all pollution and trashes! We've seen numbers of years needed for some trashes to decay in the ground.(One thing I remember is a paper diaper and I remember it was about 500 years??!!!!) Exclamation Surprised I do recall there was a plastic bag also but didn't know China was suffering that much from its trash. I was surprised to see the video where many many plastic bags were poking out of the ground, all trash.. The government action was rightly taken and all of us will have to be more aware or recycling if we want our descendants live in clean environment.

Let's go back to your lesson plan. First, the topic is very suitable for the class and many students will have great ideas already about recycling and way to save the environment. Moreover, the lesson plan is well organized and there are many chances for students to have small talks in English. The topic is familiar to them and rather quite easy for them to discuss.

I was just thinking that maybe it'll be better if you switch the order of pre-listening activity number 2 and 3. I see there are some vocabs which also appear in small discussion questions. Students will know the definition of words prior to the discussion so that they can have more understanding of the talk. Besides, it'll help their words remembrance since students tend to memorize new words more after using them in real conversation.

Lastly, I'd like to add some discussion topics at post-productive activity stage.-- There are also Korean recycling campaigns and cloth bags given in markets and stuff. What do students think of that and does it help much? What other steps can Korean government take compared with Chinese?

Enjoyed reading your lesson plan and it really was great!! Very Happy
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Eun-jung on Thu Jun 05 2008, 06:29

Your lesson plan is very well-prepared. Especially I like the activities at the pre-listening stage. First, predicting contents from the title is a very good way for students to focus on the topic they are going to deal with. Through this activity, students can brainstorm, guess, and share their thoughts with other students, as well. Second, learning some important words and expressions before listening seems to be helpful for students to understand the news.

But small group discussions you presented on your pre-listening activities overlap with post-listening discussion. And the issues on pre-listening discussion seem to be more debatable and need more information and time to think. So it may be more suitable to discuss those issues after listening.

Kim Eun-jung
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Mihyun Park

Post  bakbann on Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:02

Each student will have a different partner for each activity so that s/he has an opportunity to talk with various people.

Pre-listening activities

Students predict content from the title and talk about it with their partners. Then they share their ideas with the whole class. Students also will be presented with some pictures regarding this topic.

2. Vocabularies
-crack down
-ban
-plastic bag
-forbid
-regulation
Students learn some important vocabularies before the actual listening. Although there will be many other words or expressions unfamiliar to students, I am sure they can infer those words based on context. However, these words are essential to understand the gist. Therefore, students will cover these 5 words above before the listening. I will give 3 sentences per one word. Each sentence includes the word. Students infer the meaning in the sentence. Students then discuss their own guessing with their partner. Students will also group synonyms among these words.

3. Small talk
-Who were/are for this crackdown and why in Korea?
-Who were/are against this regulation and why in Korea?
-Based on your experience so far, what do you think about this restriction?
Students have a small talk with their partner prior to the actual listening. In this activity, students have a small conversation about Korean situation of plastic bag regulation. They can link their prior experience to the news they will listen. Conversation about Korean case enables students to predict the news content and understand the Chinese case in the news more easily. However, this will take less than 5 minutes. I think 3-5 minutes is enough to let students bring out not only their own schematic knowledge but also linguistic knowledge (e.g. words and expressions). More discussion about Chinese case and the news will be continued in the post-listening productive activity.

*I will allot relatively short time for pre-listening activities because this is only a warming up to help their comprehension of the news.

Post-listening comprehension activities

-What is the topic?
-What does Chinese government do?
I will play the video then let students grasp rough idea while listening. Students are not allowed to carry a pen or paper with them and write down during the listening. However, they are expected to get only main gist not every detail. I am of the opinion that understanding main idea is the most important thing in listening. There is no point if students get some minor information but not main idea either in the news, business meeting, or lecture in English. That is, at the first listening, I do not want students miss the main point of the news at the expense of detail information which is not indispensable to understand the general meaning.

2. Specific information
Students will listen three times after the first listening. Here, students are free to jot down while listening. After second and third listening, students can share what they heard each other. Now, they are ready to be a reporter. Hereís 45sec video news from CNN without a reporter. If students are lucky enough to study in a language lab, each student dubs in their own words on this video based on the content they heard. (If students are studying in a normal classroom without recording equipment, they can report to their partner.) Students will learn how to end their report.
-Mihyun Park, CNN, (in) Beijing
-In Beijing, Iím CNNís reporter, Mihyun Park
-In Beijing, Iím Mihyun Park, reporting for CNN.
This ending style seems nothing but, in my opinion, this provides new identity as a reporter to students while they are doing this activity.
Through this activity, both a teacher and a student himself/herself can check his/her comprehension of the news. Students who have no idea what to be included in their own version of the news, they can refer to some examples questions.
-What is its goal?
-Is it going to be easy or tough to do?

Post-listening productive activities

1. Discussion
Is there anything Chinese government should do in the process of this restriction?
Students discuss this crackdown as a consumer, environmentalist, plastic bag factory owner, or governor who made this law. Students can choose whichever they like to play. In this activity, they will discuss freely, expressing their opinions and interacting with all students in their group. There are four students in a group. Although I will give some questions to help students discuss, they are just "examples" to help their discussion. That is, they can discuss whatever they want regarding this crackdown.

2. Writing
Students do an individual writing based on their discussion.

3. Reading
Each student exchanges his/her essay with another student's one from a different group. This activity balances four language skills by integrating reading ability into this lesson. Moreover, this is helpful to improve writing skill by learning other ways to write an essay.

Last edited by bakbann on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:04; edited 1 time in total
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:10

Familiar video article~~!! I already saw this same video three times and this is fourth.^^ And you have revised your lesson plan. You are so diligent I think. And your lesson plan is well-structure and almost perfect. Especially I like your post-listening comprehension activities which have two steps for checking the comprehension of general and specific information. It's so impressive to me. It's hard for me to find your weakness in the lesson plan, but I think if you add some activities for the reading part your lesson plan may be more perfect for the class. What about add the activity that students can share the papers they wrote to read some other's composition after writing activity (the last activity)? I think it's helpful for their reading ability.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:12

Thanks for your advice about the time limit. This should go in my revised lesson plan. I should manage time effectively to finish all the activities in an hour.
By the way, my nickname is unique and funny, right? The name bakbann dates back to my highschool years when I was a class president or class monitor. Friends called me bakbann(박반) which came from bakbanjang(박반장). My close highschool friends still call me 박반 instead of my real name.

Jung Yoojin wrote:First of all, I would like to say hello to you~ Your nickname is interesting! What does it refer to? haha~ Let's move on the topic. I heard this news from Oksun as well ^^(this topic would be popular!) Concerning the content, talking about too much use of plastbags and the effect on China makes me very interested. Through this content, students can realize using too much plastic bags anytime would influence badly even in Korea. That makes student learn concering with environment as well as learning English!

I like the way of executing pre-listening which is No.1, "Predicting content from title." It looks some extent traditional way, but the ordinary thing is working in peers and then check students' opinions with whole class. I think whenever students work in pairs, they can interact the most in classes. Learning language is important factor in English class but interaction between learners is also crutial factor especially in learning language. So I am fond of your activities which you encourage students work in pairs.

Last but not least , I want to comment one thing. Your activities are good, but I want you to set limit time when you give students have discussion or peer works. Sometimes students get their direction during their work if there is no limmitations. So givestudents specific time to fininsh and then check opinions together would be great!
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:15

Thank you for your helpful advice. After reading other students' lesson plan, I found my lesson too boring to attract students attention. I should have used various kinds of material to motivate students. I will use visual material during class. Thank you again.

inmyheart479 wrote:1. what I think of the video content

The video is very timely when the world is shouting out "GO GREEN" and will get students to be reminded of both the "issue of environment" and different efforts which several countries are making. Even I get to see how much China is trying hard on the issue of environment. On top of that, this video news fits into the level of secondary school so that students make a guess and understand of it with interest.  

2. what I like about your lesson plan

I think pre-listening activities you suggested would be a good guidance for students to enter the next step of actual listening. Making a guess at what's going on in China just from the title of the news is a very good way for provoking students' thoughts as a pre-designed procedure before the actual listening. This also may lead to activate their background knowledge while working on it. I am in favor of previewing some vocabularies before listening as well with room for inference of vocabularies which they don't know. (It might be another option with vocabularies that students listen to the news without learning the vocabularies beforehand, maybe 2 times, and then they will get to learn some of them followed by one more listening.)

3. what I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

You make 2 discussions for pre-listening and post-listening activity in your lesson plan. I would like to know how different would that be except for the topic of the discussion. Is it just two different time of discussion like before and after the listening with different topic? Or will it be different in another way?

As for the vocabularies, would they be just presented on the paper with the meaning or do you let them guess first and write down of the meaning?

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better

Your lesson plan is well organized enough to bring full understanding of the news in the end. It would be a little better if some visual aids such as pictures are employed at some points. For example, when students make a guess at the content of the news from the title, you may use some pictures relevant to draw students' attention or show them at the stage of discussion. Thank you very much for the good lesson plan. Very Happy
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:20

You have the exact same opinion to me. The reasons you mentioned are why I chose this video news. As I wrote in thread to Ok-sun's lesson plan, who has the same video news, I chose this video because of the easiness in terms of speed, schematic knowledge, and pronunciation. I think this is one of the main reasons of the popularity of this video.

Hyo-Jin Kim wrote:Hello~^^ I guess it is the first time to talk to you. I am so happy to finally have this chance and hope I can get to know you better next semester!

By the way, you know what? I first chose the same video for my class, but I had to choose another one after checking out what you posted here.^^; So I've wanted to reply to your lesson plan for sure.
I am of the opinion that you made an excellent choice of video. The points that I liked about the video were the American accent, the speed of speaking, and, of course, the content(or the topic). Though it's a good trial to have students exposed to various kinds of accents from many different English speaking countries, plenty of Korean students feel pretty uncomfortable in dealing with other accents beyond the American one. The video clip is easy to follow owing to both its accent and the speed which are just appropriate enough for students to comprehend. In addition, it includes a great topic that can be controversial. It enables the teacher to easily make the students speak and share their ideas for its familiarity.

Speaking of the things I like about your plan, one is to get students to predict content from the title before listening and the other is to ask about general information after that. While making predictions about what is going to be covered in the video with their partner, they will naturally come to be curious about the vocabularies. It will help the teacher make it easier grab students' attention during the presentation of those words, avoiding the tendency that students feel bored when they learn vocabularies. And confirming some information in the video with their partner before checking it out with a teacher is likely to be a good way to see if they actually understood. Since a few students usually depend on the teacher too much, they don't really try to get it and only wait for the teacher to give them the answers. The effect of listening activity must be doubled if you take some time for students to think back and summarize what they've heard.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:22

Thanks for your advice. I removed the redundancy by shortening time of pre-listening activity and limiting the topic to Korean situation.

Kim Eun-jung wrote:Your lesson plan is very well-prepared. Especially I like the activities at the pre-listening stage. First, predicting contents from the title is a very good way for students to focus on the topic they are going to deal with. Through this activity, students can brainstorm, guess, and share their thoughts with other students, as well. Second, learning some important words and expressions before listening seems to be helpful for students to understand the news.

But small group discussions you presented on your pre-listening activities overlap with post-listening discussion. And the issues on pre-listening discussion seem to be more debatable and need more information and time to think. So it may be more suitable to discuss those issues after listening.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:25

Thank you for your great idea. I added reading activity. I haven't noticed that my lesson plan missed reading activity. You did improve my lesson plan. Thanks again.

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:Familiar video article~~!! I already saw this same video three times and this is fourth.^^ And you have revised your lesson plan. You are so diligent I think. And your lesson plan is well-structure and almost perfect. Especially I like your post-listening comprehension activities which have two steps for checking the comprehension of general and specific information. It's so impressive to me. It's hard for me to find your weakness in the lesson plan, but I think if you add some activities for the reading part your lesson plan may be more perfect for the class. What about add the activity that students can share the papers they wrote to read some other's composition after writing activity (the last activity)? I think it's helpful for their reading ability.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Well-organized and Clear lesson plan

Post  Lee yujin on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:32

Your lesson plan is well-organized and clear.
You chose the same topic as one of our classmates' topiv, but how to teach is quite different!!

I also agree that we should be more concerned about enviromental problems shch as that shown in your article. Especially disposal stuff could be the one of the serious prolblems.

Guessing form the title is good for the pre-listening acvitity because studnets automatically brush up their past experience or baskgroung knowledge. Also you set the good small topic discussion, I strongly believe that good questions can lead to good answer.

You use the dicto-gloss techniqus whis si good way to integrate wrting and listening properly.
You can help them by providing key words to use.

Writing activity is absolutely needed for students because through writing they can improve their thinking and even their liguisitc ability such as grammar and vocabulary. I think you can involve sone peer-editing and revising steps ater this lesson..^^
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down