Final Exam: Video News from Liz(Yunkyoung Hwang)

Go down

Final Exam: Video News from Liz(Yunkyoung Hwang)

Post  Liz on Mon May 12 2008, 06:03

Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam: Video News from Liz(Yunkyoung Hwang)

Post  Liz on Tue May 20 2008, 07:13

1. summary

A 69-year-old man set fire to the country's number one national treasure which was first built at 1398. He planned the act over several months out of anger over the land confrontation payment. According to the official, it would take three years and more than 21 million dollars to rebuild the gate.

2. pre-listening activities

1) brainstorm what Ss know about the cultural properties with a word map
(whole class)

2) predict what will be in the text they are going to listen to based on a couple of pictures (pair work -> whole class)

pictures : a picture of the Great South Gate, the remains of what used to be the Great South Gate, a man who is arrested

3. post-listening comprehension activities

Listen and answer detail questions.

Questions)
Who set fire on it? What do you know about him/her?
Did he/her apology to people?
What was burnt?
When was it first built?
How long would it take to rebuild the gate?
According to the woman, when can we realize the special value?

4. post-listening productive activities

1) Reconstruct the text. (writing)
As Ss listen to the text, write down as many words as they can. Using the note, reconstruct the text in their group.

2) Discuss how to protect cultural properties. (speaking)
Write three ways about how to protect the cultural properties. They share their opinions in a group and then in whole class.
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

THe sad news we heard ....

Post  Park, Saang-yung on Wed May 28 2008, 18:30

It was a really tragic news. Every Korean almost cried at the sad news in Korean history. I like your post listening comprehension activities and post listening productive activities.

In your post listening comprehension activities, you showed just easy and affordable questions for most students to answer. And the next, in the post listening productive activities, you devised high level activities. Some students in my school will think the last activity so difficult.

The favorite thing in your video is that the source was from Korean society's news. The topic is very familiar to the students, so they feel confidence in revealing their opinions. It is a good teaching plan.
Park, Saang-yung
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I'm sorry to hear that news.

Post  Kyeong-im on Sun Jun 01 2008, 17:24

Dear liz,

When hearing this news I was very shocked and surprised. Our precious cultural assets had burned. One of my friends said it is a kind of sign that something tragic will happen considering the history of Korea. I hope this awful thing stops.

In your plan, I like post-activity. Reconstruct the text. It may be easier to write down because they already listened. Students usually spend much time on thinking introduction of the writing that they can't initiate it quickly. However, as you suggested, this kind of RE-writing doesn't cuase this difficulty.

However, what I want you to clarify is also reconstruction. Do they have to write as they hear or paraphrase the content? As they wrote some key words it's possible to express its idea using another expressions.

I think your plan is quite good. ^^ You know what "Mind-map"? It's better if you use mind map in the first process in pre-listening activities. It has advantages as brain storm has as well as gives some classification among words.
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Sun Jun 01 2008, 19:11

For Ss' background knowledge, we can use some pictures related to the video clip. They can predict

what will be going on in the clip.

First of all, I think you chose a good video clip for korean Ss. It's not so light not so heavy. Most of them more than once heard about the news before. So they might feel easy about listening to the news and understand it.

After listening to the clip, they have to answer the questions with which Ss can check they got the main idea and got the whole story. The questions are very concrete and easy to follow the story.

But I want to know how you will check the answer. Are you going to do it as a group activity or a quiz?

I like the idea you have them to restructure the text with group members. It can give them some responsibility to build cooperaton among members.

Also, through discussing good ways to keep the national properties, they can think be creative and realize the Korean situation abut the news.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin on Sun Jun 01 2008, 19:35

1. Students are interested in this topic because they are familiar with it. They may think that it is easier than other news because once they had heard of it in korean news. In that point, this news can boost students' interest and make them more motivated.

2. i like the reconstruction.I think that it can improve students listening and writing ability. Also it teaches them grammar. I made up my mind to use it in my class.^^

3. The last activity is good. I think using the form of news report , interview or discussion is more interesting.
Liz wrote:1. summary

A 69-year-old man set fire to the country's number one national treasure which was first built at 1398. He planned the act over several months out of anger over the land confrontation payment. According to the official, it would take three years and more than 21 million dollars to rebuild the gate.

2. pre-listening activities

1) brainstorm what Ss know about the cultural properties with a word map
(whole class)

2) predict what will be in the text they are going to listen to based on a couple of pictures (pair work -> whole class)

pictures : a picture of the Great South Gate, the remains of what used to be the Great South Gate, a man who is arrested

Questions)
Who set fire on it? What do you know about him/her?
What was burnt?
When was it first built?

As Ss listen to the text, write down as many words as they can. Using the note, reconstruct the text in their group.

Write three ways about how to protect the cultural properties. They share their opinions in a group and then in whole class.
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Arrest in South Korea landmark fire

Post  Jung Yoojin on Tue Jun 03 2008, 19:24

It is very sad to hear that. The historical landmark was so precious to all of Korean, but we cannot see the number one national treasure anymore. Suddenly I remember one of my aquaintances explained the reason why that fire happend by the theory of configuration of the ground^^ I like your plan especially the pre-listening activity,"Brainstorming" Learners can not only elicit their prior knowledge about national treasures but also they learn some cultural treasures within Korean context. In addtion to the above, I like the post-listening for production especially students make their own story through listening. I think students would be motivated to do the writing section. They can compare with other groups and they can revise their own content as well. There is one question about post-listening for production activity, you wrote two productive activities together, are you going to use both of them? [I am just curious about that]
And when you are going to do the reconstruct activity. Students might feel difficult or burdensome to construct whole story. Why don't you give some important vocabularies to help students work easily?
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Revised Verision

Post  Liz on Wed Jun 04 2008, 07:51

Questions) Who set fire on it?
What do you know about him/her?
What was burnt?
When was it first built?

-> check their answers in a group and in whole class
specific procedure
1) designate numbers to each student in a group
2) Number 1 student in each group gets up, one of them answer the question. If the other number 1 student agrees to him/her, he/she sits down. Otherwise, the other number 1 student tell Ss his/her answer. It goes on in this way, until every number 1 student sits down.
3) Move on to the next question.

-> This activity will be done as a dictogloss. Ss don't need to write the text exactly as they heard. All I want from them is writing a gist of the text.

-> Their work will be presented as a gallery tour. Each group will write their opinion on the paper and put them on the wall. They chose one presenter from their group and he/she explains their opinion to other groups. Other groups will take a tour from one presenter to other presenter. After finishing the tour, they're going to put a star-sticker to their two favorite groups. I may give reward to the most praised group. (If I have time left, I'll ask group members to take another short tour to explain what they heard to their own group presenter.)
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

A tragedy for Koreans

Post  Oksun on Wed Jun 04 2008, 10:00

Hi,Liz ! This was a heartbreaking news for all korean people. I remember stomping my feet with frustration and grief when I watched the Gate set on fire. I couldn't believe my eyes and rubbed many times. You chose the topic that can easily draw students' attention.
In post-listening stage, you implied L/A questions to check listening comprehension and showed dynamic procedures to do it as well. I like that . "Reconstruct the text"activity is a good way to activate students' prior knowledge and improve their weaving ability from their own clues. For me, it's similar to "builing from the clues" activity I applied to my own lesson plan. What do you think of seeing and comparing with mine?
Wow! In your revised lesson plan, you applied "Gallery walk" strategy ,which I personally love to do with my students. Actually they do like that activity. Even some of the students in relatively lower level can eagerly participate in this activity. Students get a chance to evaluate their peer's works for themselves . They have a lot of fun doing this activity ,get motivated easily and grow confident in English class.
I strongly recommand this strategy to others, depending on teaching materials. Good Job,Liz!
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Nam-suk on Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:51

This is really sad news...Even though it's been a while to get this news, but still it's just stuck in my head...Your pre-listening activities with some related pictures might give Ss a great chance for thinking about cultural properties and the seriousness about this news.. Personally, if you can add one more step for checking vocabulary with Ss in the pre-listening stage, they might be more confident when they answer those key questions for the post-listening comprehension..And for the productive activities(the revised one), to me it is more like activity for the while listening and even for their better comprehension..Actually, I liked the last part in productive activities for Ss' speaking practice the most..^^
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

NO more disaster!!

Post  jihyun on Wed Jun 04 2008, 22:52

Yes, yes, yes. When this thing was happened, I could guess that foreigne nations report this news. This is a really huge story!!!. I can never understand that old man. He makes me angry!!. I am sure that students might feel same as me. They will be annoyed. But it's no use crying over the spilt milk. We have to learn something from this. While watching this news, students may be distracted and feel bad but at the same time, they have
to learn something. On account of that, this news is good to teach.

First of all, I like your topic. I am sure students will really be interested in this story. Because they already
know about this story and they have lots of background information about it. So, When they listen this news in English, they can activate their own Korean version news story which we had a lot. back in that time.
In this reason, I think your pre-listening activities will be done very actively. Showing pictures which are clearly related to the news is good way to motivate their background knowledge.

I am hesitating to say this, but I think I have to. Your post-listehing comprehension activity is good for
checking student's comprehension. But I'm afraid that it cannot be helpful to help student's comprehension.
So, it sounds like while-listening activity. Part of our activities' aims are helping students. So If you can make some post-listening activity which can help students understand not just check will be a good idea. ^^;;

In your post- listening productive activities, I like your idea. But if you make them reconstruct the text only within a group as a dictogloss, there maybe some students who don't do anything but waiting other students finish the task and get a score or whatever. To prevent this kind of shortcomings, we can allocate some part to each students. And let them know that helping each other can be the only way to finish the task.
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

lost treasure

Post  eunjin39 on Wed Jun 04 2008, 23:14

1. I think the news will make students pay more attention to the content because the content is familiar to the learners. Because the news is Korea related one, so learners do not have to worry about their background knowledge too much compared to other news. It would be good chance for students to think more about the accident in another language: English.

2. I like your lesson plan because it helps students understand more about the content. Especially, brainstorming is a great tool to make student predict the content by looking at only words. Listening to news in English might be a big burden for most students, but it would be interesting for them to guess and compare the original content from the news to their own guessing.

3. In post-listening comprehension activities, how many times are you going to make your students listen to the news? You didn't make this clear at the activities.

4. As part of post-listening productive activities, you can make students research on how other countries are protecting their cultural heritage by searching them on www.yahoo.com or www.google.com. Also, in the post-listening activity that makes students reconstruct the listening script with their note, it will take a lot of time for most students to write down the script. How about making them summarize the content together in pair or in group after listening several times and speak in front of the class?
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  choi Eun sil on Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:12

Hi, Liz^^
When I heard the news at first, I was really shocked. Fortunately, It wll be reconstructed soon. I hope it can be built more strongly . Anyway your topic is very good. Most students probably are familiar with this topic, so they can activate their backgroung knowledge.

First of all, What is interesting in your lesson plan is to guess the news with pictures. When Students guess words they don't know or contents (what the news will be about), using pictures can help Ss understand more easily. Secondly, It is a good idea to reconstruct the text based on listening to the news. It can help students practice paraphrasing.

I think your lesson plan is a good idea. Laughing See you soon tongue
choi Eun sil
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Thu Jun 05 2008, 09:18

I know this article which was once highlighted several months ago. Based on the miserable event of the great historical remain, your lesson plan is good for the development of the students' critical thinking.

The well-prepared stage of pre-listening activity is effective to encourage students to do comprehension questions. Also, I like your two divided parts in the productive activity section. Of two activities, the writing part is easy for secondary school students to do and dictation proved to be most effective.

Thank you for sharing that information. ^^ drunken
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Thu Jun 05 2008, 09:46

First of all, this is very heartbreaking and sad news for Korean. And almost all the Korean still feel sorry and hope that kind disaster never happen again. I think you chose proper topic, because here in Korea, the moment they watch the video they can get interested in the topic very well due to the national consciousness.
I like your post-listening productive activity 'reconstruct the text'. They don't have any limitation for the content using the words and their creativity. It's good for the repeating the words they learned and for the stimulation their creativity.
But if I can have any chance to give you my opinion, I feel your plan is not learner-centered but teacher-centered a little bit at the pre-listening and first post-listening activities. How about giving them some time they can cooperate to solve some problems? Also, I'd like to you teach some vocabulary at the pre-listening activities. It's a kind of common and ordinary method, but I think vocabulary is power for the students especially when they learn a foreign language.
I hope my opinion is useful for your lesson plan.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re:opinion on Yunkyoung's

Post  kiera on Thu Jun 05 2008, 12:40

1. I think the content of this video is attractive enough to get the students' interest because the Great South Gate is one of the national treasure. Besides, students already heard much about the accident through mess medias and become familiar with the content of the news. Definitely, this aspect would make the students able to understand better.

2.One thing I like most about the lesson plan is the "Reconstruct the text" activity. While doing this group activity, students can not only utilize what they've heard but also have chances to interact with each other. That is, in order to reconstruct the text, they exchange what they've heard and their opinion on the news content.

I think "discuss how to protect cultural properties" is interesting but it the topic cultural properties is too broad. So, I recommend you either to give students a list of specific cultural properties and select one from it or to let them choose one specific cultural properties for themselves. And then, let students discuss and find how to protect them and present their opinion. It would be better if you teacher can provide a model
kiera
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down