[Final Exam]Video News Article from Lee Hye Jin

Go down

[Final Exam]Video News Article from Lee Hye Jin

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Fri May 09 2008, 07:21

There are three oddly enough new articles. First, about a five-year-old sk8er boy. Second, a hair designer who uses 10 pairs of scissors at a time. Finally, a solution of snake problems.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Summary

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed May 21 2008, 17:31

There are three stories in the video clip.
First, a five-year-old Indian sk8er boy moves under 5 automibiles 100 times. He broke the world record about it. However, many people complain about the lack of ambulances in case when something goes wrong.

Socond, Bergel, a hairdresser using 10 pairs of scissors at a time broke the Guiness Book record of himself back in 2001 using 7 pairs of them.

Third, for thousnads years local snake catchers have been bringing poisnous snakes into a small town in Italy. There is a tradition that the statue which the snake catchers put the scary sankes onto wards off snake bites.

Last edited by Lee Hye Jin on Thu May 22 2008, 05:51; edited 2 times in total
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Activites for the listening

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Wed May 21 2008, 18:34

1. Pre-listening activity

To help prepare my students for viewing the actual video, I will let students watch the video clip without any sound first of all. Through the activity I'll let them guess what the video will cover.

Second, I'll have students do some brainstorming about the video clip. With their group members, they should brainstorm about what kind of words or phrases will be in the video as much as possible. And then let them share what they guessed among the groups.

Third, after doing the second activity they will make stories with the words and phrases they guessed to make a logical story based on the scenes they watched without sound.

Because there are three stories in one video clip and each story is quite simple, easy and fun enough, I won't teach any terms or grammar items there.

If there are some questions from them I'll teach them.

2. Post-listening activity

While watching and listening to the video, I'll have students do the dictogloss and share what they did and then make a complete story based on what the group members dictated.

Second, they will have a chance to compare the story they made before watching the video sound off with latter one(story based on the dictation). And with their group members, they will discuss how well or how closely they guessed about it

Third, for a boost, I can give some prize or just small candies for the students who guessed the story close to the real one.

3. Post-listening productive activity

First of all, they will have a chance to be a reporter like in the video clip. They can cheat on the script they completed before or they can memorize it. I'll prepare some up-beat music for the background. That surely can make them feel they are real reporters.

Second, I'll give another chance to be a real reporter. I'll have them make a their own oddly enough story with their imagination. As we did in the class, in each group they will write an imaginary oddly enough story one by one in turn to make a whole odd story. Through this activity I can help them enjoy writing and build their cooperation between them.

Finally, I can also give them chances to be real reporters. I can record this with my camera and play for the rest of the students.
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Feedback

Post  Liz on Thu May 29 2008, 11:42

1. what I think of the video content

This looks like a foreign version of 'Star King' . This is also very eye-catching, so Ss will be very motivated to listen to the story.

2. what I like about your lesson plan

I really liked the activity of watching the clip without any sound. This is very interesting story and the pictures show almost all the contents. It may helps Ss a lot to predict the contents.

One more thing that I like is your productive activity. It is well

3. what I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

You are going to give prize for the students who guessed the story close to the real one. Then, I'd like to know how you're going to evaluate their writing.

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better

This part(productive activity) is well constructed from controlled to free activities but I think it can't be finished in one class. To give Ss enough time to write their oddly enough story and more chance to be reporters, we may do the part next class.
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wow~ buddy! It's really fun to watch.

Post  jihyun on Fri May 30 2008, 06:45

Yesterday, I watched the news of policical issues of helping Myanmar. It was interesting and good. After watching some sort of 'strict' contents, watching yours are really fun and amuzing. When I was choosing the news article for the first time as our first exam, I saw this news. But I couldn't try to make it as a lesson. I think you are very clever to make this story as a teaching lesson. Students surly enjoy watching this and learing the contents. Each of the sections are independent each other. But they are all fun. But for me, the first story is a little bit worrying. Does he do that for fun or.......for money?? Um,,,,, Anyway thank you again.

And here's my feedback on your lesson plan.

First of all, I want to say I really like your post-listening productive activity.
I have never done this kind of activity before. I bet students will love to do this activity, making report and
presenting as a reporter and being recorded on your own camera. And I also think your post-listehing productive activities are set systematically.

As students memorize the original story of the news to report, they will learn some important expressions, and then it can be very helpful to do the second task, in which students should make their own odd story using
the expressions that they learned. And there's enough motivation to do the second task due to the third one.
For sure, sutdents will do their best because it will be recorded and played in front of the other students.

But, I think your pre-listening activity is a little bit difficulty to young students. I, myself also made this
kind of activity as part of my lesson plan, but I am not sure students can guess about the unknown words.
If that is true, how about this? Make some lists of words which are related and not related to the topic and then tell them to choose the predictable words about the topic without listening the news.
Then, students can do this pre-listehing activity without anxiety.

Last edited by jihyun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 19:40; edited 2 times in total
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [Final Exam]Video News Article from Lee Hye Jin

Post  bakbann on Fri May 30 2008, 07:57

1. It was fun to watch the video. I am sure that students will enjoy this as well. However, I am worried about the safety of a little boy. The hairdresser was also surprising. He must have practiced thousands of times. I admire his effort. Lastly, it was a great opportunity to look into another culture and tradition.

Regarding the video itself as a listening material, this video clip is good for young students who can concentrate for a short time. It is a great video news in that it has three different stories which enhances their concentration on each story. On the other hand, the content might not be educational especially the first one because it is dangerous.

2. I like your dictogloss activity. You are a great student bringing what we've learned into practice. Students as well as teachers can check what students listened and their comprehension. Moreover, they are writing in their own words which is also productive activity. another language skill.

I like your post activity as well. You can intrinsically motivate students. Students will love to be a news reporter and video taping it. This is also a meaningful learning related to our real world. We should sometimes report what I have found, seen, or heard in daily life or academic situations. Moreover, watching together, students also can see their own or others' reporting, realizing what was good and bad. This can give great feedback.

Lastly, your plan is more learner-centered. They have more autonomy and power. Students are leading as a subject rather than following their teacher. They are actively participating in class and teacher seems like more facilitator rather than "teacher" who is teaching some knowledge. As pre-listening activity, they will guess the story, vocabularies, and make stories. It is not like teachers do not try to teach or give information. Then students will do dictogloss and discuss. Lastly, they are speaking as a reporter.

3. Do all students have chance to be a reporter in this class? I hope so. If only few students can be a reporter and others should be just an audiences, it is unfair. Moreover, "audience" students may consider the activity as less meaningful than those "reporter" students consider. The problem is that clearly we don't have time to give opportunities to all the students in one class.

4. It would be better if teacher warn students what the skater boy is doing is very dangerous which never ever be mimicked by any of the students in the classroom. Students are always curious about these odd and abnormal things and want to do it.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What an interesting topic.

Post  inmyheart479 on Sun Jun 01 2008, 13:51

1. What I think of the video content

Making listening activity with 3 different stories would make it more fun and engaging if it is presented with well-structured method. So I like your choice of 3 stories of news as a listening activity for your students. Besides, the content of the news is very interesting to catch your students' attention. Your choice is excellent.

2. What I like about your lesson plan

Your lesson plan is very organized and well structured. Especially, I am fond of making the video clip without sound and letting students think freely as much as they can. This is a good way to activate their knowledge of background just by watching guessing the news. And then, students will be better at understanding the news than when they don't do the pre- listening activity like that. Besides, they can approach to the news more correctly by comparing the story with their classmates as you suggested.

Your post-listening activity is also very brilliant on the condition that it is corporated into speaking activity. When students fully understand 3 stories of the news and are in the know of new script , they can be acting as a reporter just as they watched. This, I think, integrates two different activities of listening and speaking together and leads to a good speaking skills.

3. What I don't understand or would like to see clarified in your lesson plan

What I wish to find out is that how you allot time for each activity based on your lesson plan. With your plan, you may do 4 different kinds of activities, pre-listening, listening, post-listening and post-listening productive activity. As your lesson plan is involved with the news of 3 stories, I assume it may takes a little longer time and needs different time allotment from the one such as mine. One more thing, I wonder what the topic of the news will be if you make students create their own imaginary news article. Will you suggest certain one or just let them do freely?

4. At least one potential improvement or addition that could make the lesson plan even better.

It is very good idea to make students be in the center of the each activity. I definitely call your lesson student-centered listening activity. In my opinion, with the well-organized 3 or 4 steps of activity, pre-listening activity should function as an scaffold to the next step of actual listening activity, which means, time should be spent more on the stage of listening activity after the pre-listening activity rather than on the pre-listening activity. If you allow each stage with resonable amount of time, I believe the lesson will be successful as you planed.

Thank you very much for sharing your great lesson plan. Very Happy

Lee Hye Jin wrote:1. Pre-listening activity

To help prepare my students for viewing the actual video, I will let students watch the video clip without any sound first of all. Through the activity I'll let them guess what the video will cover.

Second, I'll have students do some brainstorming about the video clip. With their group members, they should brainstorm about what kind of words or phrases will be in the video as much as possible. And then let them share what they guessed among the groups.

Third, after doing the second activity they will make stories with the words and phrases they guessed to make a logical story based on the scenes they watched without sound.

Because there are three stories in one video clip and each story is quite simple, easy and fun enough, I won't teach any terms or grammar items there.

While watching and listening to the video, I'll have students do the dictogloss and share what they did and then make a complete story based on what the group members dictated.

Second, they will have a chance to compare the story they made before watching the video sound off with latter one(story based on the dictation). And with their group members, they will discuss how well or how closely they guessed about it

Third, for a boost, I can give some prize or just small candies for the students who guessed the story close to the real one.

First of all, they will have a chance to be a reporter like in the video clip. They can cheat on the script they completed before or they can memorize it. I'll prepare some up-beat music for the background. That surely can make them feel they are real reporters.

Second, I'll give another chance to be a real reporter. I'll have them make a their own oddly enough story with their imagination. As we did in the class, in each group they will write an imaginary oddly enough story one by one in turn to make a whole odd story. Through this activity I can help them enjoy writing and build their cooperation between them.

Finally, I can also give them chances to be real reporters. I can record this with my camera and play for the rest of the students.
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin on Sun Jun 01 2008, 17:36

1. It's really odd and interesting. I think students are really interested in this article.
At the first story, I was surprised at the little boy. He was so unique. But i don't like the uncarefulness- the lack of ambulence. In this dangerous situation, accidents can happen all the time. Before people enjoyed this little boy's circus, they had to think of the safety of the boy.
A the second story, I felt really interested about the barber. But i don't want my hair to be cut by him. It is so dangerous and I wonder if he can do a beautiful hair cut.

Lee Hye Jin wrote:There are three stories in the video clip.
First, a five-year-old Indian sk8er boy moves under 5 automibiles 100 times. He broke the world record about it. However, many people complain about the lack of ambulances in case when something goes wrong.

Socond, Bergel, a hairdresser using 10 pairs of scissors at a time broke the Guiness Book record of himself back in 2001 using 7 pairs of them.

Third, for thousnads years local snake catchers have been bringing poisnous snakes into a small town in Italy. There is a tradition that the statue which the snake catchers put the scary sankes onto wards off snake bites.
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin on Sun Jun 01 2008, 17:52

2. Your pre-listening activity is a little different from others. Usually we ask questions about the article/text and teach vocabulary. But you didn't do that.Intead you let students guess about the article and think of the proper vocabulary about it. It is new and interesting. I have had the similiar class with yours. At the workshop, I watched the spanish drama without English script. I tried to guess what it was about. And i made it a little. After watching it again with English script, I could understand it well and my trial to guess was so helpful.
I also like your idea that students become reporters. Especially i like that you use music for reality.It will make the class more vivid and real.
And you said that students report their own odd stories. Students like odd stories. Moreover students like their freinds' own stories 100 times more.^^

Lee Hye Jin wrote:1. Pre-listening activity

Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Nice work !

Post  Oksun on Mon Jun 02 2008, 13:00

Hi,Hyejin. This video clip is interesting for the students. I think it's a good idea to let the students watch video without sounds, for it could activate their imagination and background knowledge. I love your post-listening productive activity- so called, "Becoming a reporter". It's so cool idea to motivate the students and to evoke their imagination. It can make students build thei r self-confidence as well. As you said, you use your digit-cam to record and show the works to your students, they will be very excited and feel self-assured of their works for sure . Well done !
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Mon Jun 02 2008, 13:53

Hyejin~~^^
Your video is very interesting and funny. Watching the short three interesting stories I thought "There are so many unique people around the world." Unlike usual news articles, they don't include seroius prblems and they make us laugh. So I like your choice.

And another thing I like of your lesson plan is 'guessing game' for the pre-listening activity. It's very exciting enough for the students to concentrate on the video. Also the whole plan includes many other kinds -writing, listening, and speaking- and many activities are learner centered so I think it's a great lesson plan.

But I have a question. In the "being the reporter" activity, do the students have to chosse one video article of the three? Or will you choose one? Or do they have to make writing about all of them? In addition the one thing I hope to improve to make the plan better one is to set the subjet students. I think the video is rather easy for the high level students, conversely the activities are rather difficult for the low level students especially writing activity. If you are to use this lesson plan for the low level students what about giving them the expressions for the writing and teaching them grammar part using the expressions in advance? It's just my opinion.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Boyun Park on Wed Jun 04 2008, 11:47

Hello~*

Wow, three interesting news all in one video! Stories are from outside Korea and quite easy to understand so very proper to teach in the class. It'll easily catch students' attention. I remember seeing an Indian girl on Korean TV, ‘Starking', once and she had similar talent as the boy in the video. She skated very low and went under 10(?) cars in row. Even at that time, people were amazed to see her going under the car but at the same time, they were worried about her safety. And the second news about a man using 10 scissors for haircut! I thought the customer might not trust him and look nervous but they all seemed quite relaxed letting him finish the hair. I wonder if he'll continue to challenge his record!! The last news was fun to watch too. I haven't seen so many people gathered holding snakes. Exclamation

Let's go back to your lesson plan. I think it'll be appropriate for English class and very well organized. Especially, the first part in pre-listening activity about having students watch the video without sound is a fresh attempt. Just looking at the video at first and guessing what the story might be can attract students and they'll have chance to speak in English. It'll be fun to compare how much the guessing content was right after they actually watch the video. Also students being reporters is such a great idea and it will be a memory for them.

If there's a little addition I would like to make is at post-listening stage, it seems like a time for teacher giving a feedback is missing. There's a time for asking in pre-listening activity but I think students will have phrases or words to ask after actually hearing the video. I see that most of your lesson plan is based on students guessing and their group talk but thought that a little help of the teacher could be added.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading your video and lesson plan! Very Happy
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji-eun on Wed Jun 04 2008, 19:55

Hello! It's very happy to have a feedback of your lesson plan. ^^ This video news is really amazing!!! I just very shocked when i saw the first boy. He is unbelivable!!! Can you do like this? I think i can't do that never ever.. haha, Anyway, i think you chose this video news very well. I absoultely agree with your opinion which students will show their interest so much with this video clip.

Through the first pre-listening activity, i think students will be able to get a chance to consider this video news carefully. So getting lid of sounds is pretty good idea! Moreover this video is so eye-catching, therefore they might feel free to make dicisions or image what story about is this.

Most of all, i really impressed with the last part of this lesson. I think becoming a real reporter, (especially i think it is a really good idea to prepare some music for that speacial reporter) is really good idea!! In my opinion, they must have fun through this activity. And through some preparing steps. they should have a time for writing and speaking, too! So someday i really want to use this activity with my future students. ^^

In my opinion, your lesson plan is really well-organized and i think you foucs on students' level and their interest very well. I was really fun to read your lesson plan. Thankyou. ^-^
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I like your post-listenting prodcutive listening activity!

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:00

I like the news article you have chosen. Actually, when I have free time I often visit the Yahoo website and read articles from the category "Oddly Enough." When I told some of the stories to my students in class for fun, they really liked it. So I guess the news article will be successful in getting students' attention quite easily.

And I like your idea about the post-listening activity. When I had an Egnlish coversation training as a teachers a few years ago, one of the instructors had us make our own news report and tape it. Of course, we had to appear on the news article as a report. So I had to write the script first and practice speaking like a real reporter again and again. Speaking like a real reporter in English was not easy, but the whole process was very helpful in praciticing speaking English. And I loved it when I watched the news report with myself in it. I'm sure your students will feel the same way when they watch their own video. ^^
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down