Final Exam Instructions - Part 1

Go down

Final Exam Instructions - Part 1

Post  Jason Renshaw on Thu May 08 2008, 12:41

Hello students,

I'm pleased to inform you that the final exam will be performed online here in the forum. There are a total of 25 points available for your final exam, and the exam itself will proceed in three stages over the next three weeks. Each stage carries points that count towards the final score.

For this week (deadline: Thursday, May 15), you will need to find and post a video news article of your choice. This part of your exam is really easy - you just find and post your news article and that is an instant 5 points. Submitting the video news story late will result in no points.

Bear in mind that the video news article you choose will be one that you might apply in a secondary school classroom. In stage 2 of your exam (explained in detail next week), you will have to design supplementary activities for your news article, so make sure the article you choose is relevant and appropriate for use in a secondary school classroom.

Here's how you find and post your news article:

1. Go to the Reuter's Video section at: http://www.reuters.com/news/video

2. Browse and choose a video you would like to post

3. Find the "embed code" for your video. You will see it just underneath the main title for the story, next to "Embed Video". I've provided an example below with the embed code circled in red:

Click inside that code box and copy the code. To do this, hold down the control key on your keyboard and hit "c" at the same time.

4. Now go into our forum and start a NEW TOPIC in the Practical English section:

5. Now look at the following screen to see how to post your final exam video correctly:

A. First type a subject (circled in blue in the image above): Final Exam: Video News from ...(you, your name)

B. Change your screen to HTML editor (circled in red/brown above). You just need to click on that button once.

C. Enter the writing screen and paste in the code you copied in Stage 3 above. A quick way to paste is to hold down the control key and press "v" at the same time. It should enter your screen looking like the code example above (circled in green).

D. Hit SEND (circled in pink above).

After a pause your post should appear in the forum, and the Reuter's Video News article should be embedded there.

That is all you need to do for part 1 of your final exam. Instructions for part 2 will follow next Thursday.

NOTE for technophobes:

If the above instructions make no sense to you, or you are just fearful with using the computer and don't know how to handle this, please come and see me in my office (Room 318) on Tuesday or Thursday afternoon between 3 and 5 pm. If you have chosen your video article, I will help you to post it in the forum.

Please note at this stage, nobody needs to do anything other than post their video news story. You do not need to do any summaries or opinions, or give feedback or anything. For this part of your exam, we just need to have a video news article posted from each student.

Thanks and best of luck with it!

~ Jason

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Final Exam Instructions - Part 1

Post  Bae Sung-han on Sat May 10 2008, 13:50

I don't know why my video news article is not embeded in the screen with the video news. Is it okay or do I have to put the articles on it?
Tell me about it.
Jason Renshaw wrote:Hello students,

I'm pleased to inform you that the final exam will be performed online here in the forum. There are a total of 25 points available for your final exam, and the exam itself will proceed in three stages over the next three weeks. Each stage carries points that count towards the final score.

For this week (deadline: Thursday, May 15), you will need to find and post a video news article of your choice. This part of your exam is really easy - you just find and post your news article and that is an instant 5 points. Submitting the video news story late will result in no points.

Bear in mind that the video news article you choose will be one that you might apply in a secondary school classroom. In stage 2 of your exam (explained in detail next week), you will have to design supplementary activities for your news article, so make sure the article you choose is relevant and appropriate for use in a secondary school classroom.

3. Find the "embed code" for your video. You will see it just underneath the main title for the story, next to "Embed Video". I've provided an example below with the embed code circled in red:

Click inside that code box and copy the code. To do this, hold down the control key on your keyboard and hit "c" at the same time.

4. Now go into our forum and start a NEW TOPIC in the Practical English section:

5. Now look at the following screen to see how to post your final exam video correctly:

A. First type a subject (circled in blue in the image above): Final Exam: Video News from ...(you, your name)

B. Change your screen to HTML editor (circled in red/brown above). You just need to click on that button once.

C. Enter the writing screen and paste in the code you copied in Stage 3 above. A quick way to paste is to hold down the control key and press "v" at the same time. It should enter your screen looking like the code example above (circled in green).

After a pause your post should appear in the forum, and the Reuter's Video News article should be embedded there.

That is all you need to do for part 1 of your final exam. Instructions for part 2 will follow next Thursday.

NOTE for technophobes:

If the above instructions make no sense to you, or you are just fearful with using the computer and don't know how to handle this, please come and see me in my office (Room 318) on Tuesday or Thursday afternoon between 3 and 5 pm. If you have chosen your video article, I will help you to post it in the forum.

Please note at this stage, nobody needs to do anything other than post their video news story. You do not need to do any summaries or opinions, or give feedback or anything. For this part of your exam, we just need to have a video news article posted from each student.

~ Jason
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Sat May 10 2008, 13:56

Bae Sung-han wrote:I don't know why my video news article is not embeded in the screen with the video news. Is it okay or do I have to put the articles on it?
Tell me about it.

I am writing it after the problem I had was resloved.
Sorry to bother you so much. I figured it out though.
Take care and see you next week. flower
Jason Renshaw wrote:Hello students,

NOTE for technophobes:

~ Jason
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I had a great time.

Post  bakbann on Mon May 12 2008, 08:40

I had a great time watching news. Very Happy First of all, I'm happy that I did a lot of listening practice. Finding a better video clip on Reuters web site, I watched numerous video clips by myself. Plus, all the news was interesting. I can't wait the next step of final exam! Hope it's not too difficult or stressful.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

:-)

Post  eunjin39 on Mon May 12 2008, 21:27

I wonder what would be our last mission!! Cool
It's mysterious!!!
I hope to see the final picture soon after putting the last puzzle piece in 3 weeks!
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's 3a.m

Post  Kang Eunmi on Wed May 14 2008, 23:36

It's 3 a.m. I'm still fighting with my homework!

I did what Jason informed about final exam. But I don't know why my video is not emeded. I can Only see the address of the video.

It's too late to fix it. So I'll do that again tomorrow.

I'm so sleepy and tired. My two sholders are very stiff... What a Face
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Finally...

Post  Kang Eunmi on Thu May 15 2008, 12:07

Finally...

I succeeded in embeding my video clip in the forum.

sometimes, it's really difficult to understand that something easy for anyone is always not is for me.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy to finish my job!! afro

Kang Eunmi wrote:It's 3 a.m. I'm still fighting with my homework!

I did what Jason informed about final exam. But I don't know why my video is not emeded. I can Only see the address of the video.

It's too late to fix it. So I'll do that again tomorrow.

I'm so sleepy and tired. My two sholders are very stiff... What a Face
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down