Video news assignment for May 1st

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Video news assignment for May 1st

Post  Jason Renshaw on Thu May 01 2008, 13:23

Please watch the following video news articles today/tonight and complete summaries, opinions and predictions for each of them.

Once you have completed that, please offer feedback to fellow students about their reports. Try to get as much of this done as possible tonight (May 1st) during the allotted class time. If not, please ensure you get this done before next Thursday's class.

Drive to produce injury-proof car

''Horror father's'' double life

Can Hi-Tech bring families closer?

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Fri May 02 2008, 06:21; edited 1 time in total

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Summary/Opinion/Prediction

Post  eunjin39 on Fri May 02 2008, 00:06

Jason, I hope you get well soon! Crying or Very sad
Here's my homework. :-)

Cool Drive to produce injury-proof car

[summary]
Efforts to reduce car crash is made in Sweden with a test. Car crash is worldwide and any people are killed or injured by it. Already some technologies like ignition switch which will not work depending on the driver's condition are developed, but people are still working on the development

[opinion]
I'm of the opinion that people cannot prevent car crash 100 percent. Even though high technologies are developed these days, people should think about who are behind the wheel: human beings. Human beings cannot be controlled easily by scientific technologies no matter how effective the technologies are. I believe the driver's driving ability is sometimes beyond the technologies' influence.

[prediction]
My prediction is that the casualty caused by car crash will decrease in a decade. Many experts are still working on the technology to reduce car crash, and I believe they can achieve something great within ten years.

Evil or Very Mad 'Horror father's'' double life

[summary]
A father, who is 73 years old, kept her daughter and three of her children in a secret room and its underground extention for 24 years. He made his daughter write letter to her mother to adopt her three children. The judge thinks that the story is true, and the investigators are still working on the case. The daughter's daughter stayed in the hospital, which made the police circle the house, and now the father is in the prison.

[opinion]
I'm of the opinion that the father is really crazy to ruin his daughter's and the children's life so miserably. Even though the father is behind bars right now, the mental shock and wound that the victims had will not go away easily. I'm glad that now the daughter is free from his ugly father and can see sunshine as much as she wants to.

[prediction]
My prediction are that the government of the father's country will intensify the law related to child abuse and that the judge will sentence him to 24 years in prison. First of all, this incident is a big shock for most people, and people will easily agree with the thinking that much stronger law should be made. Not every parent is good, so not to have this kind of situation again, a child abuse law should be intensified. Next, the judge will know how big the daughter's suffering is, so he may want the father to experience the pain that his daughter had. This particular sentence may not make the daughter happy, but something should be done for him to realize what he did to his daughter.

cyclops Can Hi-Tech bring families closer? bounce

[summary]
Some hi-technology can make family relationship closer by making family members do things like playing video game with big TV screen together.

[opinion]
I'm of the opinion that the idea that hi-technology can give a family quality time is a good thing. As time goes by, as I grew up, I get to realize that there are not many things that I can share with my parents. We have different interests, and I'm sure that most parents have already given up doing things together with growing children in hi-technology world. Like playing Yutnori together on holidays, I'm definitely sure that new hi-technology will bring harmony to home.

[prediction]
My prediction is that playing video games with family members will be a big hit throughout the world. Nowadays, individualism is spreaded among people, so people easily feel lonely while they are enjoying their private time; I think some part of their heart is empty. Family members should be the closest people in the world for anybody, and most people may not know how to be close to their family. I want to say time will be the solution, and most people need time to spend together with their family. In this point, the hi-technology games will satisfy people.
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Video news assignment for May 1st

Post  Bae Sung-han on Fri May 02 2008, 02:38

The first video news
Summary : "There are no accidents in the future." That's human beings' wishes. High technology is developing it really close. Some electri device stuck inside a car can avoid crash or minimize an impact of accidents, such as drunken drivers hear the warning sounds from the car or the car tries to maintain the distance fromthe bumper of the front car by some sensors. The challenge is now technically possible for human beings who may face accidents on the roads and thus be one of victims.

Opinion : I love this news as a driver. I am sure that no one escapes from accidents whether they are serious or not. From time to time people including me are distracted by anything when driving along the roads, such as seeing peculiar things just found by myself or glamorous scenaries we have never seen, and so forth. Long time ago, I was expecting that they will come before our faces because it can be possible for the drivers to drive much safer. The sensors which have a sense of appropriate distance between cars on the lane, especally in jam roads, are helpful to anyone driving. In Korea, I think anyone can be a drunken driver's victim. So much drinking problem is not a recent issue, but it has a very long histroy. Therefore the sensors helping or minimizing car accidents are so acceptable that everyone will concur to put them inside cars.

Prediction : The tech will be so popular in near future because after all we all want to drive safe on the roads, even the novice can drive well and safely. And it will definitely be pervaded by government in order to reduce the rate of accidents on the road. We spend much more money staying in hospital than ever. Once accidents are occurred, they are so serious.
And all family support this for protecting from being lost.

The second video news
Summary : A father built a cellar for his daughter and three more children who lived there for 24 years and no one knows why he did this. In the cellar like a prison, there are freezer and washing machine which possibly people can stay for several weeks. An investigating team who are shocked deeply by this happening is now working hard on the job, looking for the truth. The crime is like a puzzle with pieces. There is no reason to do as a father.

Opinion : I couldn't believe that like the woman in the news said. How could he do that to his daughter and the children? The truth is not yet investigated by the forensic team presicely. No one knows what's happening there under the house. It seems to me that he is out of mind himself and so different from others. I think the society is getting tough nowadays. I can quite often stand what I hear from news articles at night. It's shameful that human beings are made on purpose I believe. At least they should know what they mustn't in the world. How tragic it is!

Prediction : At least the father will be sentenced to a lifelong in prison. All of infomation will be out to the investigating team and they will be reported to the council in court as the evidence. Most important is that relationships between family members, families, and societies will be needed more reasonable in the world due to this incident. People should take care of each other and support each other.

The third video news
Summary : Parents are worrying about that their children play with computer games and TV and a family will suffer. However a big screen instead of smaller one for their own provides a new way to family to have a fun together. Personal gadgets made people separated, such as cell phone or hand held pager, but the big screen with HD gives the quality time a family engaging together.

Opinion : I am of the opinion that the high tech is giving us more time to relax and rest by ourselves. On the other hand, I imagined that each would have their own specially areas where anyone could come. Therefore I thought the society would be much more selfish than ever before. I confess that I have never thought about this way. The tech can help know each other in family or between friends. But I am doubtful that in the developing world our gadget like cell phone and nintendo will be far smaller than now as a personal equipment which is easy to carry around. However, in the news article the news is utterly opposite. The tech companies are trying to develop the family union and feel their members happy. It sounds too good to be true to me though. We will see what will happen. Am I too negative?

Prediction : There will be found the good things in the equipment like the big HD screen. But on the other hand, there will be another findings which is negative to family. Too clear and too sensitive to human eyes are so afftected to brains and the tech will have tough time in following quarter of the year. And the sales will be down as though there are spcail prices provided by manufacturers or companies. And scientific research will be more conducted by every side of member who are related to the tech.
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1st Vedio

Post  Lee Pilsu on Fri May 02 2008, 10:33

Summary: The car company in Sweden is striving to eliminate car accidents that take away 1.2 million people's lives and leave another 50 million injured worldwide. They are trying to develop a giant bumper that surrounds the people in the car the moment car accidents occur. However, the ultimate goal is to make no car accidents at all. What they called 'uncrushable cars' has various preventive functions that make the car unoperatable if the driver is drunk and send out a sound alarm in case the driver is drowsy.

Opinion: Whenever I hear of car accidents, it makes me creepy and scared. If it is just fender-bender accidents, it's not a big deal. However, in case of car-crash accidents many people get wounded severely and even killed. In Korea, hundreds of thousands people lose their lives and suffer from injuries due to car accidents. If the safety devices protecting the people in the car and preventing the accidents should be developed in the future, people will not lose their precious lives on the road because of car accidents. That's a great news for taxi drivers, bus drivers, and truck drivers, who have to spend most of their time driving on the road everyday.

Prediction: I'm optimistic about the possibility of the automobile company making such devices as prevent the car accidents from happening. By 2020, the percentage of people who get injured or killed due to the accidents will be much lower than now. Also, they will develop devices that make the car stop before hitting any small animals such as pigeons, cats, and dogs that lose their lives from the traffics on the road.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Fri May 02 2008, 13:30

As a matter of fact, I like your opinion and prediction of the horror father in the second video news.
I am the father of a daughter who is now just over 12 months old. She is so lovely that I would like to talk to her and play with her as much as time allows me to. On hearing the news,- I actually got it first from the daum news in Korea- I was shocked. What a disgusting old man he is! Words fail me really. You talked about the sentence for 24 years in jail due to her unwillingly being forced to stick downstairs under the house. I am sure it wasn't a proper room and he just made it suitable for his daughter to stay in.
He is now 73 years old or so. I don't think he can afford being there such a long period nor he feel that he was so harsh on his daughter and other three family members.
The other day I saw some people who killed more than 10 people in their lifetime. The news mentioned that they can't recognize others' feelings and affect because they were born like that in the beginning. Since so young age, they did intentionally close their mind from others, so they don't get any empathy or sympathy at all. I suppose he can be one of them.
They first need to be taken care of by psychologists and when he can get feeling about surrounding people's emotions, he would get agony from what he did in the past. Anyway sorry for the daughter and others.

eunjin39 wrote:Jason, I hope you get well soon! Crying or Very sad
Here's my homework. :-)

Cool Drive to produce injury-proof car

[summary]
Efforts to reduce car crash is made in Sweden with a test. Car crash is worldwide and any people are killed or injured by it. Already some technologies like ignition switch which will not work depending on the driver's condition are developed, but people are still working on the development

[opinion]
I'm of the opinion that people cannot prevent car crash 100 percent. Even though high technologies are developed these days, people should think about who are behind the wheel: human beings. Human beings cannot be controlled easily by scientific technologies no matter how effective the technologies are. I believe the driver's driving ability is sometimes beyond the technologies' influence.

[prediction]
My prediction is that the casualty caused by car crash will decrease in a decade. Many experts are still working on the technology to reduce car crash, and I believe they can achieve something great within ten years.

Evil or Very Mad 'Horror father's'' double life

[summary]
A father, who is 73 years old, kept her daughter and three of her children in a secret room and its underground extention for 24 years. He made his daughter write letter to her mother to adopt her three children. The judge thinks that the story is true, and the investigators are still working on the case. The daughter's daughter stayed in the hospital, which made the police circle the house, and now the father is in the prison.

[opinion]
I'm of the opinion that the father is really crazy to ruin his daughter's and the children's life so miserably. Even though the father is behind bars right now, the mental shock and wound that the victims had will not go away easily. I'm glad that now the daughter is free from his ugly father and can see sunshine as much as she wants to.

[prediction]
My prediction are that the government of the father's country will intensify the law related to child abuse and that the judge will sentence him to 24 years in prison. First of all, this incident is a big shock for most people, and people will easily agree with the thinking that much stronger law should be made. Not every parent is good, so not to have this kind of situation again, a child abuse law should be intensified. Next, the judge will know how big the daughter's suffering is, so he may want the father to experience the pain that his daughter had. This particular sentence may not make the daughter happy, but something should be done for him to realize what he did to his daughter.

cyclops Can Hi-Tech bring families closer? bounce

[summary]
Some hi-technology can make family relationship closer by making family members do things like playing video game with big TV screen together.

[opinion]
I'm of the opinion that the idea that hi-technology can give a family quality time is a good thing. As time goes by, as I grew up, I get to realize that there are not many things that I can share with my parents. We have different interests, and I'm sure that most parents have already given up doing things together with growing children in hi-technology world. Like playing Yutnori together on holidays, I'm definitely sure that new hi-technology will bring harmony to home.

[prediction]
My prediction is that playing video games with family members will be a big hit throughout the world. Nowadays, individualism is spreaded among people, so people easily feel lonely while they are enjoying their private time; I think some part of their heart is empty. Family members should be the closest people in the world for anybody, and most people may not know how to be close to their family. I want to say time will be the solution, and most people need time to spend together with their family. In this point, the hi-technology games will satisfy people.
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Free From Car accident

Post  Lee yujin on Sat May 03 2008, 08:57

summary
The Swedish car testing institution and car makers are trying to develop the cutting-edge technology which would help reduce car accident. Even though it could be really challenging and seem far-fetched. they will put thier all effort to work out this project that probably will result in saving many peolple's lives.

opinion
I'm on the opinion that this effort will eventually bring many benefits to both of the car makers and drivers. Car accident could be thie one of the notorious killers in modern society amd nobody except peolple living in isolated woods can free from the dangers and risks of it.
This smart car, as long as it come to be real, would save many peolple's lives.
I think more govermente-funded researchs about this project should be carried on.

prediction
First the cars with this driver protection technology will be highly expensive, but many people will have intersts in these cars.
Second the death toll caused by car clash will reduce significatly.
Third diriving will be much safer than now.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Drive to produce injury-proof

Post  inmyheart479 on Sun May 04 2008, 20:07

Summary: Swedish car giant Volvo has decided to eliminate death and injury in its vehicles by 2020. With that target, they want no car accidents in the future.

Opinion: I think Volvo has made a good example of producing cars which are beneficial to car drivers. Even though the details arenít being revealed, the company will keep its promise as reported. With their effort, it is a great idea to make the car not work if the driver is drunk. Has this function already installed in some cars? As I am not into driving, I have no idea about it, but the injury-proof cars may lead to reduce the car accident significantly to some great extent. And Sensors that sound alarms in case of drowsiness? That does sound even better for the drivers when they feel tired and canít concentrate behind the wheel. Given that a large portion of car accidents arise from the driverís mistakes and carelessness, this is really it. Who wouldnít choose an uncrashable car when it is on the market?

Prediction: If the things go smooth as the Volvo company has planned, it will make a big contribution to stamping out crash casualties world wide. With 12 more years to reach the target, both the company and the consumers will expect injury-proof cars to make inroads into the market once they are released. Futhermore, if the company make a humogous profit, I guess, the other car companies will jump into making crash-proof cars.

Last edited by inmyheart479 on Mon May 05 2008, 17:00; edited 1 time in total
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

First Video

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun May 04 2008, 21:10

First video on safty cars.

Summary :
There are lots of car accidents and people keep trying to develop a single safty car continuously. They found giant bumper to keep safe when they got the accident and following that they keep trying to invent human electronic brain which can defect accident dangers. Those cars can make sounds in case of drowsy driving and drunken drivings. Cars' technology are developping incessantly to keep people safe.

Opinion :
I am the opinion of that if those cars are invented , they can save lots of people who are exposed by car accidents. I was surprised that electronical human brain can operate cars by themselves. It sounds great~! I think after producing those cars, many people especially for old generation who can hardly operate cars well really eager to buy them. And the car accient rate would be decreased somehow. Because even people can make misoperations while they are driviing but censors can help to keep them safe. But it sounds there would be lots of investing costs. I hope this endeavor could be realized.

Prediction :
Firstly those cars could be very expensive at the first time. As time goes by, those products become popular for the general, then many people would buy them. The car accidental rate started to decrease sharply, and human brain censors become widespread all over the world. However, some car companys which sell only manual ones fall into bankrupt. In near future, conglomeratic car company introduces newly invented human computer operated cars which can be drived by computer censors.

Though reading my one, it seems clumsy writing haha.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I 'm impressed with your summary

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun May 04 2008, 21:33

I have just written my summary and prediction, then I read yours. It makes me impressed and spurred on me. I couldn't catch lots of details but after reading your summary, I can get lots of information there. haha. I also agree with your opinion that lots of car accidents make people injured and suddenly killed. It is just a shame! I also hope Swedish car company could launch their uncrashed cars to prevent being killed by car accidents. I hope Korean car industries can invest to develope ours as well. In addition to that, I wish car companys can develop elctronic cars as much as people can use them. Then we can also protect air-pollution and reduce lavishing oil.
Lee Pilsu wrote:Summary: The car company in Sweden is striving to eliminate car accidents that take away 1.2 million people's lives and leave another 50 million injured worldwide. They are trying to develop a giant bumper that surrounds the people in the car the moment car accidents occur. However, the ultimate goal is to make no car accidents at all. What they called 'uncrushable cars' has various preventive functions that make the car unoperatable if the driver is drunk and send out a sound alarm in case the driver is drowsy.

Opinion: Whenever I hear of car accidents, it makes me creepy and scared. If it is just fender-bender accidents, it's not a big deal. However, in case of car-crash accidents many people get wounded severely and even killed. In Korea, hundreds of thousands people lose their lives and suffer from injuries due to car accidents. If the safety devices protecting the people in the car and preventing the accidents should be developed in the future, people will not lose their precious lives on the road because of car accidents. That's a great news for taxi drivers, bus drivers, and truck drivers, who have to spend most of their time driving on the road everyday.

Prediction: I'm optimistic about the possibility of the automobile company making such devices as prevent the car accidents from happening. By 2020, the percentage of people who get injured or killed due to the accidents will be much lower than now. Also, they will develop devices that make the car stop before hitting any small animals such as pigeons, cats, and dogs that lose their lives from the traffics on the road.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Liz on Mon May 05 2008, 09:20

Volvo is trying to make an injury-proof car to eliminate death and injury in its vehicle.

I got my driver's license 7 years ago, but I have never driven a car until now. There were lots of reasons but the major one is being afraid of car crash. For someone like me, an injury-proof car is a dream car and gives me confidence that driving can be safe. I'm of the opinion that we should encourage Volvo to keep up the good work.

My prediction is that someday we will have an injury-proof car. According to the expert, making an injury-proof car is theoretically possible. Then if we continue to work on this project, it will come true. Even if we fail to make the one, at least we're going to have much safer car than nowadays. Moreover, other car company will also invest their money on making an injury-proof car.

"Horror father's" double life

A 73-year-old man has kept his daughter and her children underground cellar for many years. On the other hand, he enjoyed sunshine holiday. The horror father now is behind bars.

I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard this. How can father do such a horrible thing to his own daughter? I highly doubt about his mental status. I'm of the opinion that we should not let this kind of tragedy happen ever again although I don't know how we can prevent these things. There must be some children out there who are suffered from their own parents, and we should put our heads together to find a way to save them.

My prediction is that this news will be the wake-up call to those who doesn't do their parenting well. Being parents is not easy but they have their responsibility to take a good care of their children. There are so many other harmful things for children to grow up and parents are the one who protect them from the harm.

Some hi-tech companies asserts that they can bring people back together using high technology like big screen HDTVs, virtual games, etc.

I think this is nice try and worth trying but I highly doubt it's possibility. I'm of the opinion that old traditional way is the best of having quality time with family. As far as I think, technology is somehow limited and cannot fully function as a tool for having fun together.

My prediction is that this technology will not success. People may get interested and try several times but they will find it's not good enough.
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1st video

Post  bakbann on Mon May 05 2008, 12:15

Summary
Swedish car company has been putting efforts in guaranteeing its customers more safety. The company has already introduced cars with safety device for drunk drivers to the market. Now the firm is doing crash test to eliminate crash casualties and accidents. However, it will keep going for its ultimate goal, perfect safety with no accidency.

Opinion
First of all, I'm deeply impressed by company's efforts. However, I'm of the opinion that this sincere effort should go with drivers' sense of security. Regardless of astonishing development of car safety system, the number of accidents is not decreasing at all. Why? This is because the sense of security didn't rise. Some people think after just one shot, it won't be any problem to drive. Others drive cars gently only when there is a camera or policemen. As long as these drivers with low security senses exist, the effort to reduce car accidency by technology and science will be useless. Thus, I think drivers also should more concern about their own safety and drive more carefully.

Prediction
My prediction is that the company's hard work will pay off. If the company continues to try hard to achieve its goal, "no car accident", it will get a good reputation for its safety. Then, this repute will bring a profit. It goes without saying that many drivers want safer cars. Consequently, the firm can attract potential costumers with its guaranteed safety.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Horror father's double life

Post  inmyheart479 on Mon May 05 2008, 17:20

Summary:As the days go on, more details of the horrific double life the 78-year-old Austrian man continue to develop. The imprisoned children were kept in the dark away from sunlight even as the Austrian man was on holiday in Thailand. It was one sick child that brought down the house of horrors. The investigation is ongoing.

It makes me think that how cruel and insensitive humans beings can be sometimes these days. I am sure it's not happening only these days but as the technology and economic situation develop, the double sides of developments appearmore stark. While there are more and more people who enjoy the benefit of technology, there are bound to be some people who are left behind from those developmentsand have to live in relative poverty or exclusion from their neighbor. I am not saying that we should feel pity for him but many accidents happening these days make me think we are putting too much attention on development and neglecting the other important aspects of life other than just materialistic and technological convenience. Needless to say, what he did was so inhumane but I think the authority should put more time and efforts to prevent other similar accidents in the long run.

Prediction: The Austrian government will probably forbid the guy from getting close to the children if he gets out of the prison. The children will be staying at the place where this horror father canít find so that they will be living a normal life trying to get out of the nightmare in the past.

Last edited by inmyheart479 on Mon May 05 2008, 17:26; edited 2 times in total
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon May 05 2008, 17:24

Liz wrote:Drive to produce injury-proof car

Volvo is trying to make an injury-proof car to eliminate death and injury in its vehicle.

I got my driver's license 7 years ago, but I have never driven a car until now. There were lots of reasons but the major one is being afraid of car crash. For someone like me, an injury-proof car is a dream car and gives me confidence that driving can be safe. I'm of the opinion that we should encourage Volvo to keep up the good work.

My prediction is that someday we will have an injury-proof car. According to the expert, making an injury-proof car is theoretically possible. Then if we continue to work on this project, it will come true. Even if we fail to make the one, at least we're going to have much safer car than nowadays. Moreover, other car company will also invest their money on making an injury-proof car.

A 73-year-old man has kept his daughter and her children underground cellar for many years. On the other hand, he enjoyed sunshine holiday. The horror father now is behind bars.

I couldn't believe my ears when I first heard this. How can father do such a horrible thing to his own daughter? I highly doubt about his mental status. I'm of the opinion that we should not let this kind of tragedy happen ever again although I don't know how we can prevent these things. There must be some children out there who are suffered from their own parents, and we should put our heads together to find a way to save them.

My prediction is that this news will be the wake-up call to those who doesn't do their parenting well. Being parents is not easy but they have their responsibility to take a good care of their children. There are so many other harmful things for children to grow up and parents are the one who protect them from the harm.

Some hi-tech companies asserts that they can bring people back together using high technology like big screen HDTVs, virtual games, etc.

I think this is nice try and worth trying but I highly doubt it's possibility. I'm of the opinion that old traditional way is the best of having quality time with family. As far as I think, technology is somehow limited and cannot fully function as a tool for having fun together.

My prediction is that this technology will not success. People may get interested and try several times but they will find it's not good enough.

I'm on the same side with you. Even today, some parents consider their children as their possessions. They abuse their children and think it's their right of deciding whether they will ill-treat their children or not. When others want to free their children, they say, "it's our family's business, not yours." However, they should realize those children also independent humang being, not parents' belongings. Moreover, children's human right must be protected. We should save these children who are suffering from horrible abuses.

By the way, today is children's day. Hope every child is happy at least today. Happy children's day Smile
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Mon May 05 2008, 17:26

summary : Swedish car giant Volvo sets a target to eliminate death and injury in its vehicles by 2020. Car safety expert says that it is partly possible when special bumpers as well as other special devices are applied around occupants. Detailed specifications are not revealed though, cutting edge technology will make a great contribution toward avoidance of drunken or drowsy driving.

opinions : The fortified plans as for car safety have been considered for a long time. Accidents involving cars, trains, or plains might give passengers a fatal wound, or even death. These kinds of public transportations should be taken good care of because accidents arise from carelessness and cause many unexpected casualties, which gives people a feeling of insecurity in using public transportation. In this aspect, I think that the efforts to take an drastic action should be kept up and supported.

prediction : The critical aim is to reduce the number of car crashing accidents, as its car company said. I think that it would be an astonishing chances to sell its company cars if this project comes true in the near future. I hope that the day will come when no accidents happen in relation to public transportation.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1st Video: Drive to produce injury-proof car

Post  Oksun on Mon May 05 2008, 17:28

Arrow Summary: The Swedish car giant Volvo makes an effort to get rid of crash casualties and accidents involving its vehicles by 2020. Every year, car crash is worldwide and kills 1.2million people and injure 50 million more. The car company created a car that forms one giant bumper around its occupant. The details aren't being revealed but the goal is to produce an "uncrashable car"with huge electronic brains to minimize impacts on those in sight if a collison becomes unavoidable. The car industry experts are watching developing closely. Volvo already offers ignition switches that won't work if the driver is drunk and senses sound of alarm in case of drowsiness.

Question Opinion&prediction : I'm of the opinion that the light is on for "Go".- Volvo's effort gives us an optimistic vision for the future. How fantastic the world would be if we could live without car accidents? As a citizen of Korea, which is at the top of traffic death rate, I'm so glad to hear the news that there will be an injury-proof car in the near future. If this injury-proof car will be on the market at "reasonable "price, consumers will be eager to make purchases. I think it deserves.
Volve will evoke other car companies to set benchmarks on progress.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

''Horror father's'' double life

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Mon May 05 2008, 18:41

summary : Fritzel is accused of imprisoning and raping his daughter for 24 years. Elizabeth , Firtzel's daughter, gave a birth to 7 children with Fritzel. Three of them are adopted to his wife and him in his groundabove house because he forced Elizabeth to write a letter to ask for committing her three children. However, the youngest child was dead and secretly burn by him to cover something related to his crime. Now she is segregated from his father with great safety and other children are hospitalized because of the lack of oxygen and sunlight.

opinion : I searched the internet to find out more detailed information about this crime. In the first place, I can't give any comments about this because it's so atrocious that his sexual desire ruined one' whole life and give a fatal effects on her irreparable mental states. I'm of the opinion that more flagrant crimes than the past are uncovered to the public such as killing someone. The deaths of unknown persons are apt to be heard through news, and then we become immune to those crimes due to an increasing number of those.

prediction : Authorities concerned in Austria consider fully the seriousness of this crime and all the Austrians feel shameful with knowing that unspeakable event happened in Australia. My prediction is that its police will take a drastic action to reveal how it could be maintained for such a long time. It is also likely that Fritzel will get a fairly heavy sentence and I hope she get overcome it.

Last edited by Kim Jin-Young on Mon May 05 2008, 19:12; edited 1 time in total
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  inmyheart479 on Mon May 05 2008, 18:56

Hi, Jin Young.
A piece of good writing with a good expression and convincing prediction.
You may have found the detail over the internet but at the moment I am watching this case on CNN Live.
If you let me correct what you wrote, this case is ongoing in Austria, not Australia. ^^ (not a big of deal though)
No doubt he is as brutal as a beast.

Kim Jin-Young wrote:summary : Fritzel is accused of imprisoning and raping his daughter for 24 years. Elizabeth , Firtzel's daughter, gave a birth to 7 children with Fritzel. Three of them are adopted to his wife and him in his groundabove house because he forced Elizabeth to write a letter to ask for committing her three children. However, the youngest child was dead and secretly burn by him to cover something related to his crime. Now she is segregated from his father with great safety and other children are hospitalized because of the lack of oxygen and sunlight.

opinion : I searched the internet to find out more detailed information about this crime. In the first place, I can't give any comments about this because it's so atrocious that his sexual desire ruined one' whole life and give a fatal effects on her irreparable mental states. I'm of the opinion that more flagrant crimes than the past are uncovered to the public such as killing someone. The deaths of unknown persons are apt to be heard through news, and then we become immune to those crimes due to an increasing number of those.

prediction : Authorities concerned in Australia consider fully the seriousness of this crime and all the Australians feel shameful with knowing that unspeakable event happened in Australia. My prediction is that its police will take a drastic action to reveal how it could be maintained for such a long time. It is also likely that Fritzel will get a fairly heavy sentence and I hope she get overcome it.
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks~^^

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Mon May 05 2008, 19:10

Oh~ thank you. I didnt know that. Frankly, when I wrote this, I was confused with the name of nation. Embarassed I get blushed when I am thinking that someone reads my poorly organized writings. ^^ Anyway, I envy your warm-hearted attitudes and comments toward other writings. alien

inmyheart479 wrote:Hi, Jin Young.
A piece of good writing with a good expression and convincing prediction.
You may have found the detail over the internet but at the moment I am watching this case on CNN Live.
If you let me correct what you wrote, this case is ongoing in Austria, not Australia. ^^ (not a big of deal though)
No doubt he is as brutal as a beast.

Kim Jin-Young wrote:summary : Fritzel is accused of imprisoning and raping his daughter for 24 years. Elizabeth , Firtzel's daughter, gave a birth to 7 children with Fritzel. Three of them are adopted to his wife and him in his groundabove house because he forced Elizabeth to write a letter to ask for committing her three children. However, the youngest child was dead and secretly burn by him to cover something related to his crime. Now she is segregated from his father with great safety and other children are hospitalized because of the lack of oxygen and sunlight.

prediction : Authorities concerned in Australia consider fully the seriousness of this crime and all the Australians feel shameful with knowing that unspeakable event happened in Australia. My prediction is that its police will take a drastic action to reveal how it could be maintained for such a long time. It is also likely that Fritzel will get a fairly heavy sentence and I hope she get overcome it.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Second video.

Post  Jung Yoojin on Mon May 05 2008, 20:21

Summary :
A surprising crime happened. There was 73 years old man imprisoned his children in his house. Not any neighbors know the fact at all. He imprisoned his adopted children in the extention room with washing machine and fridge for 24 years. He left them in that house and he left for Thiland with his male friend. Investigation team is deeply processing the case to find out the suspect and the situation now

Opinion :
I was shocked with this news. It is over common sense event since I have ever known. I guess the horror father might be an abnormal person!! And as I noticed the news, he imprisoned his adopted children for 24 years. I heard several news that some people commit crimes to their adopted children such as sextual rapes and family violence. I am the opinion that some criminals tend to consider their adopted children as their ownornaments. How crazy they are!! Government or the related organizations should lay down extremely tough process to admit adoptions. And they need to keep monitoring the children after their adoption

Prediction :
The investigation found some trace the criminal had sextually rapes with those children and the judge decided to give him death penalty. And the government changed the adoption legistlation. People who adopted any children should keep reporting to the organization in face-to-face. Then the crime rate related with adopted children become decreased than before.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

U have got the right content

Post  Jung Yoojin on Mon May 05 2008, 20:38

Whenever I read others' opinion and summary through this class, I feel my listening is not enough to understand. (I want ot improve my understanding ) I realized through your summary the horror father locked his daughter and the children as well. (I missed his own daughter) I was very surprised how dare he did to his own daughter!!! I am also feel ashamful with these unbelievable things. Nowadays criminals are becoming more cruel and horrified. Even some criminal do not feel guilty. As society become perflexing and complicated, there are lots of newly happened crimes and more delicatied crimes. It makes us threatened. Even in korea, young teenages commit crimes. I think we need to focus on breeding morality to our children and students. And I also want to say many people are exposed too much with violent scenary or offending internet cites. I know it is the human right to choose to see or not . However, for teens, it can be a serious problem.
Bae Sung-han wrote:The first video news
Summary : "There are no accidents in the future." That's human beings' wishes. High technology is developing it really close. Some electri device stuck inside a car can avoid crash or minimize an impact of accidents, such as drunken drivers hear the warning sounds from the car or the car tries to maintain the distance fromthe bumper of the front car by some sensors. The challenge is now technically possible for human beings who may face accidents on the roads and thus be one of victims.

Opinion : I love this news as a driver. I am sure that no one escapes from accidents whether they are serious or not. From time to time people including me are distracted by anything when driving along the roads, such as seeing peculiar things just found by myself or glamorous scenaries we have never seen, and so forth. Long time ago, I was expecting that they will come before our faces because it can be possible for the drivers to drive much safer. The sensors which have a sense of appropriate distance between cars on the lane, especally in jam roads, are helpful to anyone driving. In Korea, I think anyone can be a drunken driver's victim. So much drinking problem is not a recent issue, but it has a very long histroy. Therefore the sensors helping or minimizing car accidents are so acceptable that everyone will concur to put them inside cars.

Prediction : The tech will be so popular in near future because after all we all want to drive safe on the roads, even the novice can drive well and safely. And it will definitely be pervaded by government in order to reduce the rate of accidents on the road. We spend much more money staying in hospital than ever. Once accidents are occurred, they are so serious.

The second video news
Summary : A father built a cellar for his daughter and three more children who lived there for 24 years and no one knows why he did this. In the cellar like a prison, there are freezer and washing machine which possibly people can stay for several weeks. An investigating team who are shocked deeply by this happening is now working hard on the job, looking for the truth. The crime is like a puzzle with pieces. There is no reason to do as a father.

Opinion : I couldn't believe that like the woman in the news said. How could he do that to his daughter and the children? The truth is not yet investigated by the forensic team presicely. No one knows what's happening there under the house. It seems to me that he is out of mind himself and so different from others. I think the society is getting tough nowadays. I can quite often stand what I hear from news articles at night. It's shameful that human beings are made on purpose I believe. At least they should know what they mustn't in the world. How tragic it is!

Prediction : At least the father will be sentenced to a lifelong in prison. All of infomation will be out to the investigating team and they will be reported to the council in court as the evidence. Most important is that relationships between family members, families, and societies will be needed more reasonable in the world due to this incident. People should take care of each other and support each other.

The third video news
Summary : Parents are worrying about that their children play with computer games and TV and a family will suffer. However a big screen instead of smaller one for their own provides a new way to family to have a fun together. Personal gadgets made people separated, such as cell phone or hand held pager, but the big screen with HD gives the quality time a family engaging together.

Opinion : I am of the opinion that the high tech is giving us more time to relax and rest by ourselves. On the other hand, I imagined that each would have their own specially areas where anyone could come. Therefore I thought the society would be much more selfish than ever before. I confess that I have never thought about this way. The tech can help know each other in family or between friends. But I am doubtful that in the developing world our gadget like cell phone and nintendo will be far smaller than now as a personal equipment which is easy to carry around. However, in the news article the news is utterly opposite. The tech companies are trying to develop the family union and feel their members happy. It sounds too good to be true to me though. We will see what will happen. Am I too negative?

Prediction : There will be found the good things in the equipment like the big HD screen. But on the other hand, there will be another findings which is negative to family. Too clear and too sensitive to human eyes are so afftected to brains and the tech will have tough time in following quarter of the year. And the sales will be down as though there are spcail prices provided by manufacturers or companies. And scientific research will be more conducted by every side of member who are related to the tech.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd video

Post  bakbann on Mon May 05 2008, 20:40

Summary
A 73 year old father, named Josef Fritzl, is charged with rape and confinement of his own daughter in Austria. He has imprisoned and raped his daughter, Elisabeth, for 24 years. Three of his children, or grandchildren, from Elisabeth were also locked up with her in the secret dungeon in his house. Other three were adopted by him and his wife, and one was dead. This man, so-called "horror father", is now behind bars.

Opinion
I am of the opinion that complicated and rapid changing society is producing terrible criminals who have mental disorder. In the past, criminal purposes were rather simple. Criminal psychologists could find out their purposes and read their minds without much difficulty. However, now, in this complex society, criminal minds are incomprehensible at all. They are way more cruel and insane. Take Fritzl who is definitely a psychopath. He couldn't have committed such an awful crime unless he had been out of his mind. There are many other crazy criminals. Few days ago, a man in Korea killed a random girl in the street with no particular reason and what is worse this is not uncommon worldwide. Therefore, I think more criminals have serious mental problems in this confused society.

Prediction
My prediction is that these lunatic criminals will increase even more. Society is getting complicated, changing, individualized at the highest rate, which remains psycho criminals. Moreover, being overexposed to violence, people see the violence as senseless these days. Criminal psychology points out that all of these environmental factors drive criminals to the extreme. Thus, more and more criminals will be insane, absolutely not understandable and unexplainable by any words.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

3rd video

Post  bakbann on Mon May 05 2008, 22:46

Summary
High technology has been pointed as one of the main causes that had separated families. Some tech companies, however, now insist high technology can get family back together. For instance, family can play video games with the big screen and have fun together.

Opinion
It would be great that high tech can contribute to improving family relationship. However, I'm of the opinion that these simple gadgets cannot bring separated families back together. The rationale behind this is that there are actually many elements that separated families. In this busy and competitive society, people became much busier, which means there are less time to spend with their families. Children come home late from school or Hagwon. Back home, they need to study to get into a prestige university. Parents are also busy working to survive in this "eat or be eaten" society. The fast changing society widened generation gap as well. Lastly, due to the development of telecommunication and transportation, more and more families live apart. Some children study abroad and some husbands and wives meet only on weekends because of their jobs in different cities. Therefore, I think it won't be easy to get separated families back together by high tech only.

Prediction
My prediction is that this will be selling well. Although it may not keep family relationship closer, this is still eyecatching for children as well as adults. People, let alone tremendous number of passionate fans of Play station and Nintendo, would love this innovative and fun game. Thus, I think this will sell like hot cakes.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd video

Post  bakbann on Mon May 05 2008, 22:48

Bae Sung-han wrote:The first video news

The second video news

The third video news

My prediction is also that this psycho father, who doesn't even deserve the name "father," will be in prison for the rest of his life. The rationale behind this is that he committed such a felony which will never be forgivable by anyone. He shows no sign of regret at all. In addition, his brutality provoked many Astrians and they held candleit for the victims. All in all, his cruel crime and public condemning voice for him will keep him in prison all his life.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Tue May 06 2008, 05:48

summary : Some tech companies make it sure that hi-tech devices are helpful to bring family together. There are high-definition TV, big screen TV, Nintendo and so on. The previous technology contributes to the separation of individuals, but some companies emphasize the opposite side.

opinion : Various devices have been released at every second. Things like computers or TV which is common at home make all members of family behave respectively. In other words, we don't feel the necessity of talking with each other. I'm of the opinion that advanced devices highly encourage members to get closer by playing games in virtual reality. However, I also think that these kinds of devices can be distributed to the rich due to the relatively high price.

prediction : My prediction is that it will took time for many people to take advantage of these hi tech devices. As a good exemplary case, some of commercial companies will make the most of them in order to attract people's attention. It is also likely that its benefits are only restricted to those who can afford to but it. However, I have no doubt that family will spend great time at home, not going out to the distant suburbs.
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

the first video

Post  Kyeong-im on Tue May 06 2008, 06:14

summary : Crash test in Sweden takes 2 weeks to set up and it's over very quickly. Their goal is to reduce car accidents by 2020. Although it's common target to do that it is "no accident in the future" that they really want to have. Every year 1.2 million people are killed and more 50 million people are injured. The giant bumper around occupant is used. Also, when the driver is drunk or drowsy the sense sound the alarm.

opinion : I think it's very useful. As you see the news, there're a lot of people who are killed or injured because of car accidents. It may due to careless driving. Sometimes they feel tired, drowsy, or drunk as well as they are in a hurry. When the driving is out of control or they can't notice obstacle, this kind of car/machine is effective.

prediction : My prediction is that it is going to be used widely. It's one way to reduce the rate of car accidents and to protect people. The less car accidents happen the less those who suffer from them are there. I just hope that they suggest reasonable price so that we can afford to buy it.
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next