[OP5] Benefits and Limitations of Online Learning Applications

Go down

[OP5] Benefits and Limitations of Online Learning Applications

Post  Jongwoo on Thu May 01 2008, 11:28

What do you think are the potential benefits and limitations of online learning applications for English education in Korea? Support your opinion with details and examples.

With the rapid advancement of information and telecommunication technology, the Internet has become indispensable to almost every Korean. Today, anyone in Korea can easily log onto the Internet and enjoy the wide range of information. Moreover, the Internet has made interpersonal interaction ever more convenient: we can simply chat or exchange notes online at any time we want regardless of physical distance. Such enhancement has significantly changed the way of our life, and English education in Korea is no exception. The development and popularization of the Internet has affected the way we teach and learn English with both benefits and disadvantages.

First of all, the Internet can significantly improve English education in Korea. The greatest benefit of all is the instant access to quality learning resources at reasonable expense. With the advent of distance learning programs, anyone who is willing to learn English can simply sit in front of the monitor screen and have lessons from Korea's top instructors. The Internet also broadens the boundaries of classroom activities. Teacher and students can post their tasks and ideas online on a website which can easily be constructed with a few mouse clicks free of charge. This can make teachers more capable of making interactions with the students. Besides, students can share their works with their classmates and learn together without any difficulty. In addition to the expansion of classroom boundaries, the Internet helps overcome individual differences of students. Teacher may provide more assistance to the students online, who tend to learn slower than others. Furthermore, easy adaptation of multimedia resources is another benefit of online learning application. Teacher can easily post links to the video clips, audio files, and pictures related to the current lessons on the classroom website, which will be viewed by the students in their most convenient time.

Undoubtedly, benefits brought by the Internet are immense, but it is not without limitations. Excessive employment of the Internet technologies deteriorated the quality of the classroom lessons. Utilizing technology, teachers can construct their lessons more exciting with considerably less efforts. Easy duplication of computer data, however, may tempt the teachers to be indulgent. As a matter of fact, many teachers have been criticized for copying and using pre-fabricated computer slides throughout their teaching. Such phenomenon has been condemned as 'click lessons' since teachers do nothing but click their mouse button to turn slides. Besides, heavy reliance on the Internet can in fact discourage establishing personal rapport among students. When conducting a group project, students may spend more time online for the sake of convenience than making interactions in the real world. This can intensify individualism among students.

As we have observed, online learning application is highly beneficial to English education in Korea, but it entails limitations as well. With the Internet, students can have an access to quality learning resources instantly. Moreover, teachers can interact with the students more easily, and students will have more opportunities to learn from one another. The Internet may also help slower students catch up the class, and enables teachers to make their lessons more exciting with multimedia resources. On the other hand, excessive application can lead teachers into indulgence. In addition, there is a danger that students may develop an individualistic spirit. The Internet technology is like a double-edged sword that only with a careful adaptation can it truly improve English education in Korea in a wholesome way. Bearing disadvantages that it can bring in mind, teachers should make constant efforts in employing every possible way of developing students' proficiency.
Jongwoo
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: [OP5] Benefits and Limitations of Online Learning Applications

Post  Youn Sujin on Wed May 28 2008, 13:48

I've never thought of the possiblities that teachers could be indulgent. Whenever I read your essays, I think about the topic once again.
Youn Sujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sera Jung on Fri Jun 13 2008, 22:05

'Click lesson' ! this term is so condensed word to express lesson conducted without teachers' explanation and directions but mouse clicking to show materials from internet. I also had such a teacher in my middle school . She just downloaded educational programs from EBS and show them. As that was what I can do at home, I always felt angry at this lazy teacher who did nothing for student's effective learning.
Sera Jung
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down