Practical English Mid-Term Examination Guidelines

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thanks again.

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 28 2008, 06:16

Thanks for the one week off. I had the midterm on last thursday. Thanks to your thought consideration, I could come back home earlier and take some rest after all the stressful midterms. I feel great and relaxed now regardless of the result of midterms. Very Happy See you on thursday.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Practical English Mid-Term Examination Guidelines

Post  Jason Renshaw on Fri May 02 2008, 06:09

Lee yujin wrote:
I'm sorry.
I never took an 2-hour test when I was in university..^^
So I was just a little bit anxious about that.
Also writing test would make me feel worried, because I am not good at writing under the time limits.
I think I've gone through well...because as you said I'm MA student.
I think I willl be strong enough to deal with more difficult and consuming exam...I will absolutely be !!

I didn't mean to be rude or complain.^^
I just wanted to talk about my feelings.
I strongly believe that you understand me, don't I?

ps

Hi Yujin,

I don't think you were rude, but you were complaining. That's fine, but after a while I have to confess I get very tired of hearing complaining. Some people spend so much time complaining, they don't actually do much else. I think there are better ways for us to be spending our time...

Your worries are typical of this learning context, and typically unfounded as well. From memory, you were one of the students who earned a very high score on the exam. As it turns out, you had nothing to worry about at all...

A few people have spoken to me about the 2-hour test time. Some were frightened, while others saw it as a unique challenge. I have to admit, I didn't realize that students could go all the way into grad school here, doing English-related majors, and never sit a 2 hour test requiring English... Well, there's a first time for everything, right? And as I've mentioned elsewhere, the test wasn't so much about testing your English writing ability as it was to determine what you had learned and what you thought.

I was very happy with the final test results. Those who performed well in class and paid attention were able to handle the test well and get a good score. Those who had poor attendance and/or attention in class tended to do worse. I think that makes for a valid, worthwhile, and fair test.

Yujin, just try in future not to complain the moment you are challenged with something. The glass is half full or half empty, depending on your attitude to it. It's not a matter of being rude or anything. It's just a healthier perspective to see challenges as opportunities and avenues for personal growth. Very Happy

Take care,

~ Jason

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

I am so worried about myself!!

Post  jihyun on Fri May 02 2008, 10:25

After I got the mid-term paper from teacher, honestly, I become so depressed.
Frankly speaking, I know that I got a pretty good score compared to my real ability and skill.
But the reason I am so blue is due to the fact that I have to take the Teacher Exam on December with this ability, having not enoguh time to practice and improve my English ability, at least, I feel like it. ㅠㅠ
These kinds of reality doesn't allow me to think that I will be able to pass that exam.
What am I supposed to do from now? I am so worried about my real ability.
There are so many people who have superior ablilty to me at this field......

Actually, I also have hard time to understand the Reuters' News......Eventhough I tried to listen almost everyday at my work place and whenever I have free time, I still can't notice my listening skill is improved so far. I still have hard time to get an idea.
So I play the news several times, but that fact (I have to listen dozens of times to understand when other can understand just with a few listening) even makes me more frustrated.
Yesterday, when we listend to the news at the class, I couldn't understand at all.
How sad!!!! How poor I am !!!

I know I have to practice harder. But I just can't handle my worries right now......^^;;
Today, I have to do left over work at my work place. During that time, I will listen more and more and do wirting work, hoping this can help me to a small extent.
'
'
No!! It's not me!!! I should be a positive person~~~ Cheer up!! ^^;; I can do it!!...............can I ???? pale
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cheer up!

Post  inmyheart479 on Sun May 04 2008, 20:31

Hi, beautiful lady.
Please don't let yourself down. I am not satisfied with the result either, but this is just the score.
And stilll we have more chance to achieve what we are looking for and we have enough time to show our potential. As to listening to the news, the same thing goes for me. I replay them over and over again taking extra time. But!!! The more time I put into it, the more I feel my English has gotten better and better.
Why don't we look on the bright side of things? Very Happy

Absoulutely, YOU CAN DO IT!!! WE CAN DO IT!!!

jihyun wrote:After I got the mid-term paper from teacher, honestly, I become so depressed.
Frankly speaking, I know that I got a pretty good score compared to my real ability and skill.
But the reason I am so blue is due to the fact that I have to take the Teacher Exam on December with this ability, having not enoguh time to practice and improve my English ability, at least, I feel like it. ㅠㅠ
These kinds of reality doesn't allow me to think that I will be able to pass that exam.

Actually, I also have hard time to understand the Reuters' News......Eventhough I tried to listen almost everyday at my work place and whenever I have free time, I still can't notice my listening skill is improved so far. I still have hard time to get an idea.
So I play the news several times, but that fact (I have to listen dozens of times to understand when other can understand just with a few listening) even makes me more frustrated.
Yesterday, when we listend to the news at the class, I couldn't understand at all.

I know I have to practice harder. But I just can't handle my worries right now......^^;;
Today, I have to do left over work at my work place. During that time, I will listen more and more and do wirting work, hoping this can help me to a small extent.
'
'
No!! It's not me!!! I should be a positive person~~~ Cheer up!! ^^;; I can do it!!...............can I ???? pale
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

All men feel the same way.

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Sat May 10 2008, 19:27

Hi^^ ji-hyun.
I could read your feelings, but I think that most of the students have the same feeling in a class including me. My score was not good as well, which disappointed me.
I was depressed all days because I suspected my real English ability as you did.

However, it would be a forward step to encourage ourselves to develop, not to be in the self-abasement. As far as I know, you have a great confidence and ability, so I envy you many times.
Also, in my opinion, even if my score and ability are not good enough, I sometimes feel happy to realize that I am much interested in English major and also, have much intention to develop English.

jihyun wrote:After I got the mid-term paper from teacher, honestly, I become so depressed.

'
'
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Practical English Mid-Term Examination Guidelines

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2