Re: JINI's 5th lesson outline

Post  Jason Renshaw on Sun Apr 20 2008, 02:47

Jeong,HyoJin wrote:I was so busy today. Crying or Very sad
So now I'm uploading my lesson outline.

As I did previously, I linked my Cyworld address for mine. Very Happy

JINI

www.cyworld.com/bettyj -> Board

Thanks for your fifth outline, HyoJin.

I thought your input examples were really great, and a very useful model for students accustomed to doing this sort of thing (future ambitions) in a very simple and limited way. This could help them to talk about this kind of issue in a more expressive way, especially in a formal environment.

I think you missed a chance in the noticing section to point out HOW each student approached this topic, especially in terms of talking about a context or situation first which then connects directly with their future ambition. It is a great way to handle this topic, but I don't think you've really helped your students to notice this!

I don't really understand why you say Encourage them to speak loudly. “Speak these sentences whatever you like! Let’s go!” at the start of your drill approach. The idea of the drill is controlled practice, though later it can be opened up to be more flexible and creative. Saying this at the start could be very confusing for your learners.

Part D (speech composition) completely confuses me. While you may be helping your learners to practice past tense, the content here is almost completely unrelated to your initial input texts, your overall theme for the unit, or what you want the learners to do later. It feels completely out of place to have a gap-fill here about a famous historical figure!

For the production part, if your initial inputs and noticing did more to show how to approach this kind of topic (contextualize/interesting introduction + future ambition) can work, and your controlled practice in D had a similar kind of text, I think your learners would have an excellent model for applying this kind of speaking on their own. At present, your lesson doesn't have a unified focus or logical sequence, so I have little doubt your learners may feel confused and uneasy when they try your production activity.

I hope this gives you something to think about!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down