Access to video news articles from Discovery Channel, National Geographic and CNN

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

You're welcome and I agree with you

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:27

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:THank you for your effort to help us improve our English ability and this helpful site.^^ We can't easily meet with English because of the foreign language circumstance, if we are not dilligent to search and seek for English spoken situation. But now with your help we can easily encounter English in your forum. This forum is a very useful tool to improve the ability. I want my English ability to be improved by listening and watching the videos here. And I always think that you are very enthusiastic and passionate teacher. I want to be the enthusiastic teacher who can show the students my passion by endeavoring to be a helpful person to them. Thanks for your effort again.

Hi Kyoung Jae,

I'm glad you like this and find it useful. I also completely agree with you: being in an EFL environment, it can be hard to find authentic and current content in English. However, these days more than ever before, the Internet is changing the equation...

Take care,

~ Jason

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

I couldn't agree more...

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:29

Lee yujin wrote:I think nowdays we can access real authentic English with more easy.
Maybe when I entered the university, it was really hard for me to get the English news except AFKN. But nowdays with the Internet and enthusiastic teachers (like you^^) I can easily enjoy the plenty of Cnn News and even Natuinal Geography.

Thank for your hard working for us.

Hi there Yujin,

In some similar replies to Haesol and Kyoung-jae, I expressed the agreement that the Internet is changing Korean students' capacity to access genuine, current and topic spoken English input. These are exciting times for students (or at least, should be!).

Best wishes to you,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Listening...

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:56

jihyun wrote:Dear fantastic professor!!

As almost every students say, I also want to say thank you a lot. Even though it was challenge at first, I really appreciate your making me study listening! I remember when I listened video news for the first time. It was March. Before I participated your class, I didn't listen English news or tapes at all. Just doing some listening tasks, such as TOEIC or High school listening textbook for students once or twice a week, was all that I listend to. I knew that this much cannot imporve my listening skill. But I was too lazy. I thought I don't have time to listen and train myself for this skills and I don't need to do this right away. I thought I was the busiest person in the world!!!

But when I came here and talked with many people and learned from you, I knew that I was such a lazy girl!
Realizing the reality, I start to listen to news. But it was really tough for me to understand the news. It was so difficult to get the point. I could only catch some words or few sentences. But now, at this point , I think I can understand better than before. If not, I am sure, at least, I am more confident and comfortable to listen the English speaking news(even just within a month, I could sure that I can improved myself if I keep studying harder). So from that moment, I decided to listen to the news once a day, at least. If I have more time, I will invest more to do it. Even when I am super super busy, I will try to listen minimum, one topic. I remember that you would like to recommend me to listen various topics instead of dictate every sentences of one topic. I have lots of words that I can't understand and know, but I believe in you and I will follow your tips. Of course I will try to memorize as many words as I can. ^^;; I just want to say thank you and promise you to keep studying listenig, because I am weak of will. Razz

Hi Ji-hyun,

I think you're making some very positive inroads into your perception of listening. I always recommend listening more often to a bigger variety of topics, but more importantly, try to listen to articles that INTEREST you. Listen because you are genuinely curious about the content, not because you want to analyze oral English like some kind of CSI-style investigation.

Think of it another way. Do you like taking walks in the forest? Most people do, and I certainly do. Now, while I do enjoy looking at various individual trees, plants and flowers as I walk along, I'm certainly not trying to understand each and every one of them or memorize its shape, form and function. I'm enjoying the forest collectively for what it is, not how well I understand every minute part of it. If you walk in the forest regularly, you'll start to get an instinctive feel for which trees are likely to go where. You'll feel more comfortable and natural, and in this relaxed state, notice a lot of small details quite naturally, things you won't see even if you're really looking for them.

Bottom-up style listening can be good in moderation for developing your analytic skills and knowledge of the finer points of the language. But it should never come at the expense of genuine top-down listening.

You're doing well. Think about it - if you watch and listen to a news article every day (an article you are genuinely curious about), you'll have given yourself an enormous amount of authentic listening over a whole year, and you'll also pick up lots of interesting information about the world in which you live.

GO FOR IT!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:29; edited 1 time in total

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Thank you so much.. Jason

Post  kim young-ah on Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:00

Dear Jason,

Hi. I'm young. First of all , thank you so much for letting me listening to many kinds of news articles including National Geographic...

A few days ago, I posted some complaint... So sorry.
Since then , I haven't had a clear conscience. I'm not the person that I complain so often. But these days, I was getting nervous because of many things surrounding me. Actually, I'm not sure that I said about my health problem, I don't feel very well nowadays. So, even though I was trying to do my best within my ability, that was not as much as what you expected , I think.
But now, after reading above post and many replies, I reflected myself.
To divide 24 hours and spend them effectively is very hard for me, but I am very happy to study again since I graduated from school as you know.

And ....may I ask a favor of you?
Whenever I listened to the video news, I scripted several articles. So I want to get some script for articles. Could you give me the script? If not possible, it's O.K.
Anyway, thank you again for your passion for our class
See you tomorrow.... wishing the mid-term exam will be easy.

best regards,

young
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Access to video news articles from Discovery Channel, National Geographic and CNN

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:14

kim young-ah wrote:Dear Jason,

Hi. I'm young. First of all , thank you so much for letting me listening to many kinds of news articles including National Geographic...

Since then , I haven't had a clear conscience. I'm not the person that I complain so often. But these days, I was getting nervous because of many things surrounding me. Actually, I'm not sure that I said about my health problem, I don't feel very well nowadays. So, even though I was trying to do my best within my ability, that was not as much as what you expected , I think.
To divide 24 hours and spend them effectively is very hard for me, but I am very happy to study again since I graduated from school as you know.

Whenever I listened to the video news, I scripted several articles. So I want to get some script for articles. Could you give me the script? If not possible, it's O.K.

best regards,

young

You're doing great. You're what I call a "supermom" (I actually have several spread out across my classes, and I also have some "superdads" like Billy and Sung-han).

I'm sorry to hear your health has been problematic. If you need to talk about it in private, please do make a time to come and see me.

As for scripts, well, that would be enormously time-consuming for me to do on my own... I do have a better idea, however. Why don't you students collaborate and build scripts for the articles together? If each person contributes a portion, and all the students make suggestions for editing, it would make for a great team activity, and you would all develop your English so much as a result. I generally prefer for students to just listen to and enjoy the articles for what they are. However, some bottom-up work can be beneficial as well.

Here's the deal: if you students are willing to work collaboratively on building full scripts for some listening articles, I'm willing to offer some corrections for you.

The ball's in your court...

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Access to video news articles from Discovery Channel, National Geographic and CNN

Post  Nam-suk on Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:30

This is such a great present for all students..I really appreciate it..
LIke Sung-han said..It seems that you always try to motivate us in terms of English study..This gives me another chance to refresh myself who have been such a slacker nowdays..Thank you again for your efforts..
Nam-suk
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

thank you again...

Post  kim young-ah on Wed Apr 16 2008, 22:57

thank you for saying so ...
Actually I wanted to ask the correction for the scripts .. if you OK. I'll do that
And at first I asked some students to study and listen together, but there's no answer since then..^^
maybe next time I'll ask again...
I appreciate you again...

take care,
young

p.s.
I want to enjoy the articles themselves.. but my English is not as good as other classmates, so even if it takes a long time I script the articles as long as I can.
Is it a good way to improve the listening ability? Or any other way?
Jason Renshaw wrote:

best regards,

young

You're doing great. You're what I call a "supermom" (I actually have several spread out across my classes, and I also have some "superdads" like Billy and Sung-han).

I'm sorry to hear your health has been problematic. If you need to talk about it in private, please do make a time to come and see me.

As for scripts, well, that would be enormously time-consuming for me to do on my own... I do have a better idea, however. Why don't you students collaborate and build scripts for the articles together? If each person contributes a portion, and all the students make suggestions for editing, it would make for a great team activity, and you would all develop your English so much as a result. I generally prefer for students to just listen to and enjoy the articles for what they are. However, some bottom-up work can be beneficial as well.

Here's the deal: if you students are willing to work collaboratively on building full scripts for some listening articles, I'm willing to offer some corrections for you.

The ball's in your court...

Best wishes,

~ Jason

kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 23:21

kim young-ah wrote:thank you for saying so ...
Actually I wanted to ask the correction for the scripts .. if you OK. I'll do that
And at first I asked some students to study and listen together, but there's no answer since then..^^

take care,
young

p.s.
I want to enjoy the articles themselves.. but my English is not as good as other classmates, so even if it takes a long time I script the articles as long as I can.

Hi Young-ah,

I need to ask you something... Do you think you cannot enjoy the articles themselves because you feel that your English isn't as good as some other classmates? I really respect you, but that is a silly thing to think! Your enjoyment of a news/video article should have everything to do with your own interests, and nothing to do with a comparison with your classmates' proficiency levels.

Your English listening ability will improve in leaps and bounds simply by doing more natural listening more often (as often as you can manage it, actually). Let's say it takes you 2 hours to script out one 1-minute news article... In two hours you could possibly listen to 20-30 news stories. Think about it logically - which method is truly expanding your listening skills?

Don't get me wrong. I do understand why scripting out a listening passage can seem to make sense. If we manage to do this in detail and come very close to getting everything exact, it feels like a finished product, which then feels like physical evidence that we have accomplished something major and important. However, considering your broader development in listening comprehension, in many ways this is like fool's gold. It looks shiny and yellow, but it isn't gold.

Here's a simple way to test yourself:

Choose a news article of interest and listen to it ONCE. Try to write a quick summary, opinion and prediction based on that one listening. Don't be distressed if you can't manage to do it well. Save the address of that listening article (in Reuters, you can actually email to yourself a link to that specific article - I think it's called "email this to a friend" or something like that).

Listen to at least one (and preferably 2-3) other interesting news articles each day for 2-4 weeks. Each time, do the same thing: write a summary, opinion and prediction. Limit yourself to 10 minutes or so each time you try this.

At the end of 2-4 weeks, when you've applied this to around 30+ news articles, go back to your first news story (the one you saved the address for). Listen to it again one time only and write your summary, opinion and prediction (without referring to your original effort). Then compare this to the first summary, opinion and prediction you wrote.

I'm willing to bet you will see a huge difference in your ability.

Above and beyond anything else, scripting listening passages is horribly difficult and extremely boring. Why make English so unenjoyable for yourself? I know some people say "no pain, no gain" and it is true to some extent. But with language development, no genuine interest almost always results in little to no development.

Experiment and see what you come up with...

For your other point, why not post the scripts you've made so far in the threads for the particular news story each came from, and invite your classmates to participate in some group editing? The ball has to start somewhere... I also think your classmates are very interactive and proactive, so once you've posted something I'm sure they'll get involved!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

I know a website that provides news script.

Post  Lee Pilsu on Thu Apr 17 2008, 06:42

I think my listening ability is not so good at the moment, so I may not be qualified to comment on your English listening problem. But the way I see it is that if I keep trying, someday it will improve. I think the most important formula is your effort and patience.

If your life is so busy, you can practice listening just little bit but regularly. I found listening to some English programs of EBS every morning is quite helpful. Listening Special(6:00~6:30 a.m.) and Morning Special(8:00~8:55 a.m.) programs cover news articles every day and the hosts explain important expressions and difficult words, so it will be helpful if you keep listening to them for a long time.

If you're in need of scripts of news articles, I know a very good website, www.voanews.com. You can listen and read the scripts. I'm not so sure which is more advantageous to improving your English listening ability, listening articles without scripts or with scripts. In my eyes both of strategies are necessary at first, and then when you think your listening ability has improved enough to listen well without scripts, you don't need to rely on the scripts any more.

But I disagree with making a script that involves writing down every sentence you hear. The reason I'm against it is that it will be too exhaustive and take too long a time. Last month, as a part-time-job, I made scripts of an 70-minute-long lecture in English on the Internet, and I was also almost worned out while doing it. It's very very painfully difficult to do that. As Jason recommended, it would be better to listen and write the main points the first time you listen to an news article, and write more detail information the next time, or third, forth time you listen to it.

At any rate, I will keep my fingers crossed for your health and study. See you in class.

best regards,

young
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Batear Fox Vedio

Post  Lee Pilsu on Thu Apr 17 2008, 07:40

I've just watched the National Geography Vedio about the life of batear foxes in Africa several times. Each time I watch it, it's more fun and interesting. Here's a general summary of the vedio:

Batear fox belongs to canine species, which means dogs. Unlike other dog species who eat juicy mammals, the foxes hunt lizards, scorpians, and tiny bugs. It's easier for them to find food in sweltering Kalrahari Desert. With ther 5-inch long ears, they can listen to tiny-moving sounds of creatures under ground and approaching predators.
The female fox shown in the beginning is ready to mate. A suitor is trying to court her, but the father fox is trying to protect her. The female fox is warded off from the suitor by her father. The suitor comes back again but this time with more respectful attitude. The father fox also is not so hostile againt him as before and treated him like a son-in-law to his daughter.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  choi Eun sil on Thu Apr 17 2008, 09:27

Thank you for letting me know this site.
I have tried to find out the English news that I can see.
Thanks to you, I acn improve my listening skills.
Thank you again. sunny
choi Eun sil
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Don't let the bed bug bite ~

Post  eunjin39 on Sat Apr 19 2008, 13:52

Woo ~~~ the bed bug video is so scary ~~ haha ~
Interesting videos ~ :-)
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks ....

Post  kim young-ah on Sun Apr 20 2008, 00:25

Thank you for your tips about listening .
Actually I have worried about my understanding about the news article.
Even though I have scripted for the articles, I have never had the case that I didn't enjoy the article. My study style is just old- fashioned. ^^
But from now I change ....
As you said, my style is unreasonable. I know myself. Because I have no enough time to study, I have to save my time . But I have wasted my time....
In spite of many words that I don't know, I'll try to listen to the news without scripts.
Just taking the simple notes....
Thank you again and I'm shy....
Take care,
Young

Jason Renshaw wrote:
kim young-ah wrote:thank you for saying so ...

take care,
young

p.s.

Hi Young-ah,

I need to ask you something... Do you think you cannot enjoy the articles themselves because you feel that your English isn't as good as some other classmates? I really respect you, but that is a silly thing to think! Your enjoyment of a news/video article should have everything to do with your own interests, and nothing to do with a comparison with your classmates' proficiency levels.

Your English listening ability will improve in leaps and bounds simply by doing more natural listening more often (as often as you can manage it, actually). Let's say it takes you 2 hours to script out one 1-minute news article... In two hours you could possibly listen to 20-30 news stories. Think about it logically - which method is truly expanding your listening skills?

Don't get me wrong. I do understand why scripting out a listening passage can seem to make sense. If we manage to do this in detail and come very close to getting everything exact, it feels like a finished product, which then feels like physical evidence that we have accomplished something major and important. However, considering your broader development in listening comprehension, in many ways this is like fool's gold. It looks shiny and yellow, but it isn't gold.

Here's a simple way to test yourself:

Choose a news article of interest and listen to it ONCE. Try to write a quick summary, opinion and prediction based on that one listening. Don't be distressed if you can't manage to do it well. Save the address of that listening article (in Reuters, you can actually email to yourself a link to that specific article - I think it's called "email this to a friend" or something like that).

Listen to at least one (and preferably 2-3) other interesting news articles each day for 2-4 weeks. Each time, do the same thing: write a summary, opinion and prediction. Limit yourself to 10 minutes or so each time you try this.

At the end of 2-4 weeks, when you've applied this to around 30+ news articles, go back to your first news story (the one you saved the address for). Listen to it again one time only and write your summary, opinion and prediction (without referring to your original effort). Then compare this to the first summary, opinion and prediction you wrote.

I'm willing to bet you will see a huge difference in your ability.

Above and beyond anything else, scripting listening passages is horribly difficult and extremely boring. Why make English so unenjoyable for yourself? I know some people say "no pain, no gain" and it is true to some extent. But with language development, no genuine interest almost always results in little to no development.

Experiment and see what you come up with...

For your other point, why not post the scripts you've made so far in the threads for the particular news story each came from, and invite your classmates to participate in some group editing? The ball has to start somewhere... I also think your classmates are very interactive and proactive, so once you've posted something I'm sure they'll get involved!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

about the electrice car

Post  kim young-ah on Sun Apr 20 2008, 00:49

summary;The reporter is adopted the test driver of an electric car.
The electric car is like a golf car and a hatch back styled mini car.
And it is a 100% electric car and isn't the first electric car.
The car was made because of the environmental problems such as global warming,CO 2 emissions and energy security. When starting the car, the sound was soft and silent. The possible driving distance is 50-60 miles and the charge is over 110 volt. Even though the car isn't an element of solution, it is funky. And it has 3 shades white colors.

Long time ago, I have heard of the electric car. At that time, it was very strange and interesting to me. The car will do anything for energy security, but we Korea import some energy from other countries. So in this point, I'm a little sorry. Moreover, our country doesn't have enough electric energy yet.Someday we can ride an electric car.
And it's good to make little noise. Besides the golf field, I hope to see many usual and popular electric cars on the street in Korea someday. I wish the day will be coming soon.
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Panda

Post  Lee Pilsu on Mon Apr 21 2008, 06:40

This is not homework, but just a practice on my own.

General summary: It's about baby pandas in China that are sent to Woolang Zoo, a protection and research center for pandas. They are joined with several other old pandas, eight of whom are to be selected to be via on-line vote and sent for the Olympic games. Breeders let the pandas have opportunity to interact each other. Pandas are the national treasure of China. The zoo officials hope this olympic games to be opportunity to promote protection of rare species like panda.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The black hole exiting in universe.

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Apr 21 2008, 10:51

From the last week, I made my mind to put up my summary, opinion and prediction about the news article whatever I pay for it. I would like to kick off today. My single step for beginning makes my goal done by half I think.
So please feel free to give me tips if you know the news article. It will be very helpful for me.
Also, as Jason mentioned, I would like to recheck it some time after two weeks for sure.

Summary : Nature just allowed the black hole to exist without any purpose which no one knows why, like stars and planets in Universe. The black hole is just a point which can be seen the same shape in all directions. Increasingly, it's getting larger and larger.

Opinion : I have no idea what the black hole is. It might have a certain purpose over there by God's hands. I don't believe scientists, specifically like geologists or astronomers, agree wih my opinion. If I keep saying this, they might be bothering and be willing to explain it with their own knowledge about the Universe. At least they haven't yet found the purpose of their exsitence in Universe. I think whenever I look over the night sky, there are millions of starry stars on it. How awesome they are. I can be sometimes thrilled feeling goose bumps about being under the sparkles.

Prediction : Human beings are so eager that they want to know everything out the hidden world. Surely they will discover what it really is. People want to explore the Universe out of the earth. As we have done lots of research on it, we can understand the point of existence but the purpose of it. We haven't yet known the purpose of human beings' existence. What a wolrd we live in!
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Amazing Facts about Bearstaper

Post  Lee Pilsu on Tue Apr 22 2008, 10:14

1. The species has existed longer than humans, presumably 35 million years.
2. It's an official national animal for ____ which is situated between Maxico and Quatelmala.
3. It's called Mountcow, but close to a horse in appearence.
4. It has fourteen toes, four in each of the front leg and three each in the hind leg.
5. It has a highly flexible rubbery nose fit for eating vegetation.
6. It can weigh up to 700 pounds.
7. It is faced with extinction because humans have been destroying its habitat.
8. It was named after a expeditionist in 1843.
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Comments On "Billboards become stylish. "

Post  Oksun on Wed Apr 23 2008, 08:28

I watched a news video "Billboards becomes stylish ."
Summary: Everyone wonders what happens to billboards after their use. A company tried to cut the billboards,vinyl sheets and turn into bio-degradable bags. The company's first project was to make some political banners into a wide selection of bags and donate them to typhoon victims in central Philippines. What begined as a small project turned into a thriving operation.The project encouraged people, including me, to look back on their ignorance of our environment.
Opinion&Prediction : How amazing the idea of the company owner's is ? I'm of the opinion that she is clever enough to take an action that keeps our environment clean. Her action will provoke a lot of company to endeavor to turn into useful recyclables otherwise it's just a garbage.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Shrew on battle

Post  Lee Pilsu on Wed Apr 23 2008, 11:46

Summary: Shrew(a small brown animal like a mouse) is so active that it burns so much energy. If it misses just one meal it might die. Its heart beats 1,300 times per minute. Its life is vey simple, one hour for hunt and one hour for sleep. It gives off musky odor.
A snakes which has strong jaw but no poison finds the rat-looking animal to attack.
The shrew doesn't back off and starts to fight with his poisonous teeth. The shrew bites the neck of the snake which loses its strength over time. The vitor feasts on the dead snake.
In a garden shed, two shrews come across and start fighting because they are solitary animals, so they think of each other as an intruder. The movement of their fighting is so fast that one might think the vedio showing the fight is in fast mode but it isn't, it's the natural speed when they fight. (I was so surprised at their quick movements). Their fights are like pro wrestlers. They jump over each other and bite off each other's body. Scientists are not sure whether the poisonous bite they use when attacking is immune to the same species. At the end, no one wins at this long battle.

Opinion: I will make it very short. I'm so blessed that I was born as a human, not other animals like snakes or shrews. If they lose in a battle, they become prey for the winner. How frightening it is just to imagine!
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you!!

Post  Boyun Park on Wed Apr 23 2008, 15:23

Ohhh this site is sooo interesting. Also it's another good way to improve our listening skills. It updates itself automatically and we get to watch most current exciting articles everyday!! It has so many various things and this will keep us busy!!! Very Happy
Thank you again~ Exclamation Smile
Boyun Park
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re:video about an electric car

Post  Oksun on Thu Apr 24 2008, 07:09

bakbann wrote:First of all, thank you, Jason. I'll keep studying English hard day by day.

I saw a video article about an electric car. This definitely will be appealing to those who aren't happy with rocketing oil prices these days. Moreover, environmentalists will welcome this car because of less CO2 emission. Save money, and save the environment. That's terrific. cheers However, I think it takes too much time to charge to go short distance. I hope more active research and studies would improve its practicality and marketability. Reasonable price, various designs and sizes, higher speed, simple and easy charge can be good examples. With these improvements, I'm sure, elctric cars can replace gasoline-engined and disel-engined cars in the future.

A few years ago, I decided to change my car into a car equipped with diesel engine on account of the upsurge of gasoline price. It didn't pay off, though. You know, diesel price is almost the same as that of gasoline's at the moment . As oil prices are rocketing, auto drivers have much trouble paying for their gas bill and search for the solution. At this moment, the electric car came into the market. These electric cars have many advantages as you mentioned above, but consumerization will be a time-consuming process, I think.
I hope they will be available on the market at reasonable price in the near future.
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

CNN news : Kidman's cause

Post  Oksun on Thu Apr 24 2008, 09:37

Personally I'm a great fan of Nicole Kidman.-I think she is the most beautiful woman in the world . I wish I were a woman like Nicole Kidman . One of my IDs for e-mail address is Nicole ^^:: That's why I chose this news video. Smile
I was so impressed with her brilliant work as U.N. Good will embassador. she is working to stop violence against women. After her trip to Cosovo,she reappeared in U.N. press conference for the purpose of promoting U.N.internet campaign"Say No to violence against women".She says that as a mother of two children, she is obviously and emotionally connected to this problem. By doing this work, she wants to contribute to help her children, other children, and other citizens have a better life.
It's an incredible idea that one in three women will encounter violence in silence in their lifetime. I rubbed my ears in disbelief. She looked more beautiful than ever before, when she talked about the urgent and serious problem, I think. She has a beautiful mind on top of beautiful appearance. Hmm.. Very Happy
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Oksun on Thu Apr 24 2008, 11:17

Lee Pilsu wrote:Summary: Shrew(a small brown animal like a mouse) is so active that it burns so much energy. If it misses just one meal it might die. Its heart beats 1,300 times per minute. Its life is vey simple, one hour for hunt and one hour for sleep. It gives off musky odor.
A snakes which has strong jaw but no poison finds the rat-looking animal to attack.
The shrew doesn't back off and starts to fight with his poisonous teeth. The shrew bites the neck of the snake which loses its strength over time. The vitor feasts on the dead snake.
In a garden shed, two shrews come across and start fighting because they are solitary animals, so they think of each other as an intruder. The movement of their fighting is so fast that one might think the vedio showing the fight is in fast mode but it isn't, it's the natural speed when they fight. (I was so surprised at their quick movements). Their fights are like pro wrestlers. They jump over each other and bite off each other's body. Scientists are not sure whether the poisonous bite they use when attacking is immune to the same species. At the end, no one wins at this long battle.

Opinion: I will make it very short. I'm so blessed that I was born as a human, not other animals like snakes or shrews. If they lose in a battle, they become prey for the winner. How frightening it is just to imagine!

Hi,Pilsu.
You said, you are relieved that you were not born as animals like snakes or shrews.
I don't think we are not in the same situation as animals, To my sadness, we humans live in such a competitive society nowadays.-so called, a dog-eat-dog society. We are under pressure to outdo our peers not to fall behind. I felt sort of sympathy towards the scene of this battle and somewhat bitter as well. Oh,well..
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I love this. :D

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 28 2008, 07:47

I do love❤ this. I had access to CNN before the cable company changed my TV channel without giving any notice, which really annoyed me.Mad I used to watch CNN not only to improve my English but also to catch up current events world wide. I couldn't think I can watch CNN online. Now I can watch it and study. Perfect~~ cheers

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Mon Apr 28 2008, 10:17; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inappropriate language)
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Torch arrives in North Korea

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 28 2008, 10:51

I watched the CNN news "Torch arrives in North Korea", expecting and waiting for any news from the video. It ended up being over without any word. However, I could see how the torch landed in Pyongyang. Many North Koreans welcomed the torch, waving hands and flags with a smile, which was far different from what happened in South Korean. As you know, before arriving in North Korea, the torch caused some conflicts in South Korea. South Korean protesters claimed the human rights of Tibetan people and North Korean refugees in China. This enraged many Chinese students in South Korea. They finally attacked the protesters and even policemen who were trying to contain the protests and angry Chinese people. This is interesting that the way to greet the Olympic torch is completely different in two Koreas.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next