Access to video news articles from Discovery Channel, National Geographic and CNN

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Access to video news articles from Discovery Channel, National Geographic and CNN

Post  Jason Renshaw on Mon Apr 14 2008, 07:02

Here is a gateway to the latest National Geographic video news articles. It will update itself automatically to load new articles as they are produced:

And here is a similar gateway for Discovery Channel videos, which should also automatically update and add new videos as time goes by:

Last but not least, regularly updated 'most popular video news' articles from CNN:

Last edited by Jason Renshaw on Tue Apr 15 2008, 08:55; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Added National Geographic and CNN portals...)

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Access to video news articles from Discovery Channel, National Geographic and CNN

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Apr 14 2008, 13:55

Jason Renshaw wrote:

You know what. You're such an eager bevear. Some time after we began the semester, I realised that you woke up much earlier in the morning than me and put your thoughts and marks on this forum. I really appreciate it and also you want us to get motivation from you a lot. That's a kind of challlenging thing I can say. After Reuter's, you now give us a new area to conquer in order to improve our ability in English. I am definitely able to say if I do anything wiith you whatever suggestions they are or whenever you ask me for something, I believe in you. It isn't going to be failed. Thank you a lot. I will do my best in your class. In the end of the term. I would like to have a talk in person to let you know how I am improved. I believe there is a wonderful pupil under a fantastic teacher. You are the greatest one in the universe. flower
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

This is what I want!

Post  Kim Jin-Young on Tue Apr 15 2008, 18:33

Jason, I want to say really thank you for letting us know these links. For several months, I tried to find out how to listen to video news, something like these, on the internet. So, I wondered if I had to set up some devices and pay for some fees to do it. There was a certain way! I didn't know that! Great!

I want to develop my listening skills with using these sources.
You have a lot of benefit sources about a second language as well as creative teaching methods. My students get bored of my formal teaching, so I needed to change something in my class. Much information you suggested wiil be helpful, a lot.

Thank you.
Very Happy
Kim Jin-Young
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for all your efforts and enthusiasm!

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Tue Apr 15 2008, 20:34

First, I'd like to thank you for introducing us to the way to enjoy various kinds of interesting news articles with just one click. Actually, I've always been more a visual learner than an auditory one since I first started learning English, and still I spend much more time reading English books than listening English. So it's no wonder that I feel more comfortable with reading while my listening skill is pretty poor. But, these days I try to spend more time watching all the video news reports you introduced to us and work on listening skills. Thanks to you, I can enjoy many interesting news articles on various topics, which is very helpful in broadening my view and knowledge about the world as well as practicing listening.

And very often I am very touched by all your efforts and enthusiasm as a teacher. Of course I'm one of the students attending your class, but I'm an English teacher myself at the same time. So whenever I see you try to motivate students to learn with brilliant ideas, I come to reflect on me as a teacher and many times I feel very ashamed. When I first became a teacher, I think I was very passionate (There was a time that I stayed up almost every other night correcting and giving feedback on the writings of my students! ), but after teaching only 6 years, I see myself already turning into a lazy and boring teacher who doesn't do many things to help students to learn better. I feel really grateful that you gave me this precious opportunity to look back on my teaching and think about the ways to be a better teacher. You should know that you inspire me a lot!! Smile
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you!

Post  eunjin39 on Tue Apr 15 2008, 21:05

Thank you for your effort and your warm heart to help us.
Hope that my English can improve through this semester, and I hope I can learn some strategies to enhance my English from here. Good night!
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

electric car

Post  bakbann on Tue Apr 15 2008, 21:42

First of all, thank you, Jason. I'll keep studying English hard day by day.

I saw a video article about an electric car. This definitely will be appealing to those who aren't happy with rocketing oil prices these days. Moreover, environmentalists will welcome this car because of less CO2 emission. Save money, and save the environment. That's terrific. cheers However, I think it takes too much time to charge to go short distance. I hope more active research and studies would improve its practicality and marketability. Reasonable price, various designs and sizes, higher speed, simple and easy charge can be good examples. With these improvements, I'm sure, elctric cars can replace gasoline-engined and disel-engined cars in the future.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

ok. now i have to study :)

Post  sunnypine on Tue Apr 15 2008, 21:56

Thanks teacher!! YOU are really thinking about English skills all the time. I really appreciate it!! Laughing We need to expose to English circumstances as often as we can so this kinda material will be really good for us. I should watch this at least once a day. I'll try it..!! ok, Question! Can I log on this website after this semester??
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I am just surprised!

Post  Jung Yoojin on Tue Apr 15 2008, 22:32

Wow, I just dropped by before I go to sleep but I can't miss this! haha
These resourses are fantastic to experience authentic listening and improve our listening skills. Everyday we can take a shower with these news ^^/ The impressive thing is especially National Geographic news. I haven't see those wherever reated to English News.
Thank you for giving lots of resources for us(definately! Smile ) to be able to make self-study. You are very enthusiatic~I hope I can deal with all of these materials wih confidence~ and I also I wonder we can use these plenty of resources to study after this semester^^(may I go further too much? haha) We got much things to figure out! Let's do it!

Last edited by Jung Yoojin on Sun May 04 2008, 21:52; edited 1 time in total
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Many thanks^^

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Tue Apr 15 2008, 22:54

THank you for your effort to help us improve our English ability and this helpful site.^^ We can't easily meet with English because of the foreign language circumstance, if we are not dilligent to search and seek for English spoken situation. But now with your help we can easily encounter English in your forum. This forum is a very useful tool to improve the ability. I want my English ability to be improved by listening and watching the videos here. And I always think that you are very enthusiastic and passionate teacher. I want to be the enthusiastic teacher who can show the students my passion by endeavoring to be a helpful person to them. Thanks for your effort again.
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

It's really helful

Post  Lee yujin on Wed Apr 16 2008, 06:35

I think nowdays we can access real authentic English with more easy.
Maybe when I entered the university, it was really hard for me to get the English news except AFKN. But nowdays with the Internet and enthusiastic teachers (like you^^) I can easily enjoy the plenty of Cnn News and even Natuinal Geography.

Thank for your hard working for us.
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My opinion on Darfur situation.

Post  Lee yujin on Wed Apr 16 2008, 06:48

I saw the news about the Darfur.
I felt really sad and somewhat frustrated.
I've heard about Darfur several times in the news but actually I wasn;t interested ta all.
But It is much more serious and urgent that I thought.
I raged about the contradict attitude of the Sudanese goverment.
They must know how much thier innocent people have been suffering but they just igonored and said everything is alright and getting better.

I also really upset about the fact that international society just try to keep silent bacuse of China, the country closley related and supporting Sudanese goverment.

It's time to think about the truth.
The most important we have to concern is that innocent civilians are attacked, killed and eventually fall into the refugees, which cannot gurantee the next day of life.

Think about innocent children...What take away thoer dream and vision...
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What a shame I am!!

Post  Kang Eunmi on Wed Apr 16 2008, 13:30

Whenever I take your classes or surf your web site, I'm pretty touched how much much much diligent you are!!! Razz
You're such an organized teacher to do many things for students including for us. Compared to me...well...I'm not a diligent and hard-working teacher like you.
I'm a bit embarrased.... Embarassed
I'll try to be a kind of teacher who always thinks and plans what I can do for my students like you. Indeed, you know what we need!!
Kang Eunmi
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you!:)

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 16 2008, 16:30

Thank you for your help. These videos are very helpful! I especially love Larry King show. I usually watch animal programs because animals also love their babies and do hard to survive. They have their own living style to survive in jungle. I am happy to watch it in english. When I am depressed, I think that this world is like jungle where strongers only can survive in. These videos are consisted of science, animal, news, talk show and so on so I guess it is good chance to improve my listening skill.
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you

Post  Joo Un-jin on Wed Apr 16 2008, 17:04

Thank you so much for giving me information about such informative sites.
Nowadays taking your class, I regret so much that I have been lazy in learning English.
What if I have tried hard? Using more appropriate expressions and expressing my thought more effectively...
But I think it's not late. Although i feel that I am not good at English, I can be better.
Your good information can make my English improved.^^
There are too many information nowadays. So it's so difficult to decide what to choose. You selected some good sources and made my choice easier. Very Happy
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I promise you to watch these, at least once a day!

Post  jihyun on Wed Apr 16 2008, 20:30

Dear fantastic professor!!

As almost every students say, I also want to say thank you a lot. Even though it was challenge at first, I really appreciate your making me study listening! I remember when I listened video news for the first time. It was March. Before I participated your class, I didn't listen English news or tapes at all. Just doing some listening tasks, such as TOEIC or High school listening textbook for students once or twice a week, was all that I listend to. I knew that this much cannot imporve my listening skill. But I was too lazy. I thought I don't have time to listen and train myself for this skills and I don't need to do this right away. I thought I was the busiest person in the world!!!

But when I came here and talked with many people and learned from you, I knew that I was such a lazy girl!
Realizing the reality, I start to listen to news. But it was really tough for me to understand the news. It was so difficult to get the point. I could only catch some words or few sentences. But now, at this point , I think I can understand better than before. If not, I am sure, at least, I am more confident and comfortable to listen the English speaking news(even just within a month, I could sure that I can improved myself if I keep studying harder). So from that moment, I decided to listen to the news once a day, at least. If I have more time, I will invest more to do it. Even when I am super super busy, I will try to listen minimum, one topic. I remember that you would like to recommend me to listen various topics instead of dictate every sentences of one topic. I have lots of words that I can't understand and know, but I believe in you and I will follow your tips. Of course I will try to memorize as many words as I can. ^^;; I just want to say thank you and promise you to keep studying listenig, because I am weak of will. Razz
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Access to video news articles from Discovery Channel, National Geographic and CNN

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:03

Bae Sung-han wrote:
Jason Renshaw wrote:

You know what. You're such an eager bevear. Some time after we began the semester, I realised that you woke up much earlier in the morning than me and put your thoughts and marks on this forum. I really appreciate it and also you want us to get motivation from you a lot. That's a kind of challlenging thing I can say. After Reuter's, you now give us a new area to conquer in order to improve our ability in English. I am definitely able to say if I do anything wiith you whatever suggestions they are or whenever you ask me for something, I believe in you. It isn't going to be failed. Thank you a lot. I will do my best in your class. In the end of the term. I would like to have a talk in person to let you know how I am improved. I believe there is a wonderful pupil under a fantastic teacher. You are the greatest one in the universe. flower

Well thanks for the compliment, Sung-han. Greatest in the universe? Mmmm, I've got a bit of work ahead of me before I could claim that one!

In any case, I've very happy to hear you're motivated and feel this is an area that will help you to improve.

Take care,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Yubin~

Post  Jung Yoojin on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:06

HaHa I didn't mean to comment on yours. I just want to say whenever I logged in this online, I could find your picture is upgraded^^ haha. It looks good~~~ Very Happy
Yoobin Cha wrote:Thank you for your help. These videos are very helpful! I especially love Larry King show. I usually watch animal programs because animals also love their babies and do hard to survive. They have their own living style to survive in jungle. I am happy to watch it in english. When I am depressed, I think that this world is like jungle where strongers only can survive in. These videos are consisted of science, animal, news, talk show and so on so I guess it is good chance to improve my listening skill.
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You're welcome!

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:06

Kim Jin-Young wrote:Jason, I want to say really thank you for letting us know these links. For several months, I tried to find out how to listen to video news, something like these, on the internet. So, I wondered if I had to set up some devices and pay for some fees to do it. There was a certain way! I didn't know that! Great!

I want to develop my listening skills with using these sources.
You have a lot of benefit sources about a second language as well as creative teaching methods. My students get bored of my formal teaching, so I needed to change something in my class. Much information you suggested wiil be helpful, a lot.

Thank you.
Very Happy

You're welcome, Jin-Young.

And yes, these days the Internet is brimming with highly useful things that can be brought into your learning and teaching at absolutely zero cost. You just need to be willing to get out there, hunt around and experiment. Don't limit yourself to just Korean language or Korean site searches, either. You'll miss so much that is out there.

Good luck to you,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

You're welcome!

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:10

Ji Young, Kim wrote:First, I'd like to thank you for introducing us to the way to enjoy various kinds of interesting news articles with just one click. Actually, I've always been more a visual learner than an auditory one since I first started learning English, and still I spend much more time reading English books than listening English. So it's no wonder that I feel more comfortable with reading while my listening skill is pretty poor. But, these days I try to spend more time watching all the video news reports you introduced to us and work on listening skills. Thanks to you, I can enjoy many interesting news articles on various topics, which is very helpful in broadening my view and knowledge about the world as well as practicing listening.

And very often I am very touched by all your efforts and enthusiasm as a teacher. Of course I'm one of the students attending your class, but I'm an English teacher myself at the same time. So whenever I see you try to motivate students to learn with brilliant ideas, I come to reflect on me as a teacher and many times I feel very ashamed. When I first became a teacher, I think I was very passionate (There was a time that I stayed up almost every other night correcting and giving feedback on the writings of my students! ), but after teaching only 6 years, I see myself already turning into a lazy and boring teacher who doesn't do many things to help students to learn better. I feel really grateful that you gave me this precious opportunity to look back on my teaching and think about the ways to be a better teacher. You should know that you inspire me a lot!! Smile

Thanks for those kind words, Ji Young. It makes me very happy to hear you have some new motivation and goals for yourself. Teaching should be a 'fresh' occupation from day to day. While it is true that your environment can affect you and drag you down, you also have to understand that you also have an effect on your environment, each and every day.

Keep thinking, keep trying, keep experimenting, and keep thinking...

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Don't hope you're getting better... KNOW you're getting better!

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:13

eunjin39 wrote:Thank you for your effort and your warm heart to help us.
Hope that my English can improve through this semester, and I hope I can learn some strategies to enhance my English from here. Good night!

Thanks Eunjin. Why hope your English can improve, when you can know your English is improving? Very Happy

Take care,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

you are also faster than me ^^

Post  kim young-ah on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:14

A few days ago I saw the article about the electric car. And today I narrowly listened about the half part. But you have already posted the content.... great and thank you for letting me know the rest part that I didn't do yet.
See you tomorrow....
young.
bakbann wrote:First of all, thank you, Jason. I'll keep studying English hard day by day.

I saw a video article about an electric car. This definitely will be appealing to those who aren't happy with rocketing oil prices these days. Moreover, environmentalists will welcome this car because of less CO2 emission. Save money, and save the environment. That's terrific. cheers However, I think it takes too much time to charge to go short distance. I hope more active research and studies would improve its practicality and marketability. Reasonable price, various designs and sizes, higher speed, simple and easy charge can be good examples. With these improvements, I'm sure, elctric cars can replace gasoline-engined and disel-engined cars in the future.
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Good points...

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:15

bakbann wrote:First of all, thank you, Jason. I'll keep studying English hard day by day.

Great to see you putting this to use already! Excellent!

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

And I also wonder ...

Post  kim young-ah on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:17

Like sunnypine... I wonder if we can log in this forum after this semester.
Please.....
sunnypine wrote:Thanks teacher!! YOU are really thinking about English skills all the time. I really appreciate it!! Laughing We need to expose to English circumstances as often as we can so this kinda material will be really good for us. I should watch this at least once a day. I'll try it..!! ok, Question! Can I log on this website after this semester??
kim young-ah
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You're welcome, and you're right!

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:20

sunnypine wrote:Thanks teacher!! YOU are really thinking about English skills all the time. I really appreciate it!! Laughing We need to expose to English circumstances as often as we can so this kinda material will be really good for us. I should watch this at least once a day. I'll try it..!! ok, Question! Can I log on this website after this semester??

Hi Haesol,

I'm glad you find this useful, and you're right - exposure to English is so very important. Too many Korean learners spend too long studying English rather than absorbing it. If (as you suggest), people watch even one news article per day in English... think about it - in one year they would have viewed 365 English news articles! That's a lot, and will definitely have a positive impact on overall language development.

As for access to this site after this semester, we'll see... It could be possible, but I can't make any promises just yet. I will definitely keep it in mind, though. If I can help you all stay connected and working on your English skills on an ongoing basis, it would be lovely. It's certainly possible. I'll keep you posted!

Take care,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glad you like it...

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 21:24

Jung Yoojin wrote:Wow, I just dropped by before I go to sleep but I can't miss this! haha
These resourse are fantastic to experience authentic listening and improve our listening skills. Everyday we can shower with these news ^^/ The impressive thing is especially National Geographic news. I haven't see those wherever reated to English News.
Thank you for giving lots of resources for us(definately! Smile ) to be able to make self-study. You are very enthusiatic~I hope I can deal with all of these materials wih confidence~ and I also I wonder we can use these plenty of resources to study after this semester^^(may I go further too much? haha) We got much things to figure out! Let's do it!

Hi Yoojin,

Well, I'm really happy to hear you like this and intend to put it to use. I agree, National Geographic is great, especially for content-based issues. The news can be very interesting, but it's great to learn about animals and the environment as well. I even saw a cool cooking program on that video player!

As I explained to Haesol, it's possible we can continue the forum after the course concludes, but we'll have to wait and see...

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next