General Objective

Help students to talk about experience

Specific Objective
Using comparative expression
Asking trip experience
Explaining trip experience

Dialogue
(Characters: Adam, Joy)
(Setting: Adam and Joy are talking about their travel experience.)

Adam: Have you ever been abroad?
Joy: Yes.
Adam: Which country have you ever been?
Joy: I went to Canada last summer.
Adam: Wow, great. Where did you visit?
Joy: I traveled near Vancouver and Toronto.
Adam: Could you tell me how your trip was?
Joy: Of course. I went to Rocky Mountain.
I saw emerald-colored lakes.
Adam: That sounds fantastic.
Joy: Yes, it was really gorgeous.
Also, Niagara Falls was beautiful, too.
Adam: Niagara Falls is one of the places that I want to go.
What was the most exciting part of Niagara Falls?
Joy: Vessel-ride was the most exciting part. I was right in front of the
Falls riding a vessel. It was heartbreaking experience.
Adam: Which was better, Rocky Mountain or Niagara Falls?
Joy: I like Rocky Mountain better than Niagara falls, but both are beautiful.
Adam: I have to plan to travel there this coming summer vacation.
Joy: Hopefully, you will.

Lesson Plan

A. Noticing

(Before asking noticing questions, the teacher gets students in pairs and lets them read the dialogue taking turn.)
(The teacher asks noticing questions to the class. The teacher picks each student for each question randomly, not orderly.)

1. What are they talking about?

2. What expression does Adam use to ask Joy about her travel experience?
(The teacher can mention the expression ‘Have you ever been---?’)

3. How does Joy explain her travel to Canada?
(To be more specific, Where did Joy travel in Canada? How does Joy describe lakes in Rocky Mountain and Niagara Falls?)
(The teacher can mention past tense to explain travel experience such as went, traveled, and was.)

4. What was the most exciting part in Joy’s Niagara Falls trip?

5. How does Adam say for asking comparison?
(The teacher can mention the expression ‘Which is better, A or B?’ for asking comparison.)

6. How does Joy say to compare two places that she traveled?
(The teacher can mention the use of ‘—er’ to compare two things.)

B. Drill

I went to Canada last year.

Jejudo last month
Grand Canyon last month
Opera House last summer

That sounds fantastic.

nice
terrible
funny

Which country have you ever been?

Chinese food eaten
musical seen
pets raised

Which was better, Rocky Mountain or Niagara Falls?

Jane Eyre Beloved
Spiderman Superman
Shusi Pizza

1. The teacher makes the students repeat after the teacher chorally using the words below.
2. The teacher gets the students in groups and each group practice the sentences. (Each group has 5-6 people.) After students use the words below, they use new words that come in their mind. Students take turns to make sentences as fast as possible. The student who is left the last is the winner of each group. (A student who misses the beat or can’t make sentence should stop. Then the last left one is the winner.)

3. Each group’s winner plays this in front of the class. (expecting 5—7 students) The last left student is the final winner. (The teacher can prepare small gift such as candy or snack.)

c. Enunciation

(word)
lake emerald color tell
ride really Rocky near

(syllable)
have been great sound
vi-sit tra-vel gor-geous sum- mer
Van-cou-ver To-ron-to va-ca-tion

(intonation)
Where did you visit?
Could you tell me how your trip was?
Niagara Falls is one of the places that I want to go.

1. The teacher lets the students repeat after the teacher the words in the word section.
The teacher explains ‘l’ and ‘r’ sounds. (When you make ‘l’ sound, your tongue tip touches the alveolar ridge, but when ‘r’, your tongue doesn’t touch not only the alveolar ridge but also the roof oh the mouth.)

2. The teacher gets the students in pairs and lets the students practice. Students should listen carefully their partners’ pronunciation. After that, the teacher pronounces the words in right or wrong ways and lets the students guess right or wrong sound.

3. The teacher lets the students repeat after the teacher the words in the syllable section and the sentences in the intonation section.

4. The teacher gets the students in groups (Each group has 5-6 people) and lets the students practice. When they read the stressed syllable, they have to read very loudly. In the unstressed syllable, they have to read with a small voice. They do the intonation section in the same way. Then students can remember the stress of each word and read with intonation.

D. Discourse

(The teacher gets the students in pairs and lets the students match and make sentences.)

Hope: Have you ever been to * * how it was?
Sham: Yes. I went there * * was better?
Hope: Great. Could you tell me * * Wonderland?
Sham: Well, I * * last week
Hope: What was the * * Viking
Sham: Viking and Camelback were * * really fantastic.
Hope: That sounds good.
Which one * * rode many roller-coasters
Sham: I prefer * * most exciting one?

1. The teacher reads the phrases on the left one by one and lets the students finish the rest phrases one by one. (The teacher picks the student randomly.)

2. The teacher gets the students in pairs and lets the students make new dialogue. (Students can change the phrases on the right section to make new dialogue. For example, have you ever been to Chinese restaurant? Yes, I went there two weeks ago. Likewise, students can make new story.)

3. The teacher does #2 with the students. The teacher makes the first sentence and then each student makes the rest sentences one by one. They do this until all the students have chance to make sentences.
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lesson Outline 4(discourse)

Post  AmyJun on Sun Apr 06 2008, 19:06

I think your outline is very specific and easy to understand compared with mine. Also, I got something from you that I have to make a outline to understand easily from now on. Smile
However, I feel something wanting about enunciation part, it can be more specific by dividing each part. For example, you can explain or give an example of distingushing between [r] and [l] at sound part. However, I think you did well though~
AmyJun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Young on Sun Apr 06 2008, 19:23

Thank you for your comment.
I have time to correct. I'll think about that.
I would like to share your outline soon ~~~
Young
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kanghoon Jang on Mon Apr 07 2008, 19:41

I can see how much efforts you can put in it. Yours is really fantastic! Plus, I got some ideas from yours which I can put in mine to change. That is why, Jason wanted us to post ours in here. I am still not good at making outlines. Thanks to you, I can see what I should change mine and what kind of things I am good and not.

Lastly, I can see your passion of English. I am so impressed!

Lovely,

Kanghoon
Kanghoon Jang
Superstar!
Superstar!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I think you did a good job.

Post  Choieunsok on Mon Apr 07 2008, 20:45

I think your lesson outline is easy to understand and well arrangement. Whenever I saw these kinds of masterpiece, Only thing I can do is admiration to your effort. It gives me great motivation to do my best. Thank you, and see you monday. byebye. Very Happy
Choieunsok
Mover
Mover

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Renshaw on Wed Apr 16 2008, 10:20

Hi Younghee,

Overall, I think this is a really great lesson outline.

I think your general objective would have been better described as "Talking about travel experience and foreign countries" or something like that.

Also note that we most often use "ever" in Yes/No questions rather than information questions. So "Have you ever been to...?", whereas "Which country have you ever been?" is grammatically incorrect. We also often use "been to" or "been in" when we talk about places.

Other than those small points, your overall lesson is fantastic. I really like the noticing section, and the detailed application in enunciation for handling the l/r distinction. Your drills and enunciation sections are very carefully designed and applied.

All in all, great work!

Best wishes,

~ Jason

Managing Director: www.onlinEnglish.Net
Author: http://www.boostskillsseries.com
Weblog: http://jasonrenshaw.typepad.com
Jason Renshaw
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://onlinEnglish.net

Back to top Go down