New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life...

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Re: New interactive practice segment: Sam's Solutions in Life...

Post  Bae Sung-han on Fri Apr 25 2008, 09:23

Dear Liz,
You seem to be so eager to give a lot of information. That's very good. And I have only one idea to give you for your help. You mentioned about showing some movies or soap operas. I am also very interested in them for students as well as myself to study English.
I think you should visit a website, called www.mfile.co.kr
I am sure there are a multiple of things in it, so just click in whatever you would like to visit, or if you know the titles of some movies or soap operas in your intriguing gentre. You can just put some in the blank of the homepage and enter it.
I make sure that you will be satisfied with it.
Hope to enjoy it and take care.
Yours,
Sam
Liz wrote:My students just finished their mid-term exam and they're going to go to school trip next week. So, this week I'm going to show them a video or soap opera. Do you have anything in your mind? I can't think of anything. Please help me.

I'm currently teaching school discretion class. So far, I did Sudoku, Kokuro, Crossword, Logic Puzzle, Making Name Card, Coloring Mandala, Mystery Riddle, Auction on Value. Now, I ran out of ideas. If you have any idea, please suggest.
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bae Sung-han on Fri Apr 25 2008, 11:48

Dear two worried person,
I have never heard of yours before. I want to be a writer in the future. I am getting wrong with you, and if so, let me correct my words though.
Anyway, you love to write your essay or something like that.
I suppose almost every person is thinking about being cool or special writings about whatever they are.
Even sometimes I would love to do myself. Interesting, isn't it?
I am sure if you keep it in your mind long enough to remember some day in your future, you will try it out by yourself.
That is the way dream comes true.

The second question you asked us to response is not quite simple one I guess. But at least as a member of the society, I think I should determine what to do or how to do with them in Korean society, espeically we might be in front of them in the class some day becasue after all, all education must concern the persons who are different from others mentally and physically. We need to know their motivation to study or do something which develop their ability or skill they are supposed to have in our difficult society.
I know where you are right now in class. Honestly speaking, I have a cousin who are different mentally. He is not good right now, so selfish and so childish that anyone can't hold hime calm and peace whatever he feels wrong. I know the person who confronts the matter right face to face doesn't have easy time with him, especially more terrible to the parents.
Back to your matter, I think you should encourage him to do what he would like to do in class, at least if he is not bothering the other members of class. And as you told you just before, your attitude about your student migth be challenging for him to change.
Whatever you have problems with him, let me know. I will try to find out what they seems to be soloved.
Best wishes,
Sam.^^

bobosbong wrote:Dear Sam, I have two worries.

One, Sam and everyone could you give me some tips on English writing. I'm most intent on writing nowadays. Although I've got some adive from the books, they were mostly geared towards native speakers. For instance, avoiding cliches might be a good tactic, but I feel using them is safter way rather than trying a totally creative pattern.
How can I create a beautifully-written essay or a book(someday^_^) in English?
Do you think it's even possible to publish a book in Egnlish? or did you ever think about that, yourself becoming a writer or novelist in the Egnlish lg?

Two, I have a disabled student, 34 years old. He doesn't distinguish, /d/,/z/,/s/. He pronounce them all the same. I guess he suffered from polio when he was young. He's been in my class for over 6 months, being so diligent that hardly skips the class. Not only his physical problem, also he's self-centered like an elementary school student. One day when I held a party, he didn't bring snacks for the class, but...ate literally a lot. I sometimes find him annoying, though I shoudn't feel like that as a teacher and service provider: He has a right to take my class....
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Sat Apr 26 2008, 04:21

Hello, Liz!^^
I'd like to recommend you to try several activities to describe actions using a movie clip in your class. Actually, when we bring fun materials like movies or pop songs, how we are going to make the class the most effective matters to us. It could be extremely helpful for students through grabing their interests easily in class, while there can be the danger to fail to truely teach them practical English and rather just have some fun instead. If you intend to make it work efficiently, you necessarily make a certain plan which won't be variable. You may well set an aim for the class at first, and follow your lesson plan to achieve the goal as much as possible. I'm sure the materials will allow you to have a fun clas with no problem as long as you're clear about what and how you are going to teach in the class.
I can tell you're such a passionate and hardworking teacher who I had never had when I was a student in middle school or high school. I think your students are so lucky to have you as an English teacher. I wish I would be a great teacher just like you. Very Happy

Describing actions : Movie Clip

Activity 1 : with sound and picture

① Show students a movie clip for 3 to 5 min.

② Ask students to write down sentences as many as they can remember.

③ Compare those sentences with other groups'

④ They can make a whole story with other members' sentences.

: What's happening ? Where are they?

▶ key points

: Grammar Points → Present Progress ( eg. she is eating/ he is taking a shower..)

Activity 2: without scene

* Choose the easier scene , otherwise students wouldn't understand it.

① First, students listen to the movie clip without looking at the scene.

② Students try to guess what the scene might be.

③ Students write down the sentences and combine those sentences with group members.

(A Teacher tries to help students express their sentences if they have some questions.)

④ A teacher plays the video one more time with pictures on .

⑤ Whichever group guesses the closest wins the game.

Activity 3: without the sound

*** Choose the easier scene , otherwise students wouldn't understand it.

① First, students watch the scene without the sound.

② Students try to guess what the " dialogue " might be.

③ Students write down the sentences and combine those sentences with group members.

(A Teacher tries to help students express their sentences if they have some questions.)

④ A teacher plays the video one more time with sound on .

⑤ Whichever group guesses the closest wins the game.

Liz wrote:My students just finished their mid-term exam and they're going to go to school trip next week. So, this week I'm going to show them a video or soap opera. Do you have anything in your mind? I can't think of anything. Please help me.

I'm currently teaching school discretion class. So far, I did Sudoku, Kokuro, Crossword, Logic Puzzle, Making Name Card, Coloring Mandala, Mystery Riddle, Auction on Value. Now, I ran out of ideas. If you have any idea, please suggest.
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Enjoy your life^^

Post  Joo Un-jin on Sat Apr 26 2008, 18:42

Dear looser,

You may be bored with your marriage life. You may feel sick of what is really familiar with you. Although I'm single, I can understand it a little.
You said that you really envied the freedom of single women. I understand that and I do enjoy it.
But it is good for you to know that there are many singles who envy your life.^^
You have your own family, a husband who loves you and a cute daughter. They are the things that most of single women want to have. Sometimes or often, we want to have nets in which we can feel comfortable and warm.
Family can be a protection from storing wind, rain and snow.
How nice it is that you have such a fantastic shield!
People cannot be satisfied with their situation completely so I understand what you mean.
But you are enough to be satisfied with your family now. I really envy your happy life.^^

Kang Eunmi wrote:Dear Sam.
Please help me. Here's my problem.
These days, I'm not intereted in anything. Which means, I want to do nothing. I think I've got a spring fever. But a few month ago, I was enthusiastic about everything.
Now, even I feel like a looser!!
I think all my problem come from weariness in my married life.
Actually, I have a very devoted husband and he really loves me. But, I don't want to make a conversation with him. I want to spend more time with my friends, not him.
We' ve been married for about more than five years.
I really envy the freedom of single women. I shouldn't have married in my early 20s.
Oh~ what should I do?
-From a looser!
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joo Un-jin on Sat Apr 26 2008, 19:06

Eun-gil, I was surprised to know that you had that kind of trouble.
I thought you were so kind and your smile made people feel comfortable. But i found that you tried a lot to change your expression.
i think it is really respectable that you were not disappointed and give the blame on another one. You tried hard.
I used to complain to my parents for not inheritting me good traits-good expression, beauty, smartness and so on. i was foolish enough not to try to change them for myself and gave up soon although I knew that fate was not given, instead we could make it.
I'll try hard to change my bad traits from now on as you made your $10million worth smile. Very Happy

First i would like to give my heartfelt sympathy to you. I used to have the same feeling that you have had. It was before i got a job and met my wife. I thank my wife for relieving me of this unnecessary sense of inferiority resulting from the first impression that i thought arised from my facial expression. When i was in college, my seniors used to tell me, "Please simle. Your seemingly grumbling face may give them a bad impression." I thought to myself that I must do something about it and seriously considered plastic surgery - the so-called 'double eyelid' surgery. However, then i found out that the problem might have been in my face in part, but mostly my enigmatic expression, which is called '무표정' in Korean. Then, i tried to smile to the people around me at all times. I think your seemilngly uplifted eyes are not the problem. As far as i remember, you have a good face and seem to have a nice charcter. Just like i did, smile every time you get a chance. Thanks for reading my humble suggestion!

Kim Jin-Young wrote:Dear. Sam
Hi. It's good to meet you on-line here.
I have a problem about my first impression. I didn't recognize how first impressions were important to make friendships, especially to newcomers.
My face and attitude look a little cold, so some people think that I'm that kind of person. Sometimes, I blamed my uplifted eyes for that reason. At other times, I blamed my shyness that resulted in misunderstanding.
I have tried to express positive action to others since I was advised not to make a stony face. However I don't want to pretend to be always happy. Actually it's comfortable for me to look at somthing without any thought for the time being. Like this. silent
[/quote]
Joo Un-jin
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 28 2008, 07:27

[quote="Liz"]My students just finished their mid-term exam and they're going to go to school trip next week. So, this week I'm going to show them a video or soap opera. Do you have anything in your mind? I can't think of anything. Please help me.

I'm currently teaching school discretion class. So far, I did Sudoku, Kokuro, Crossword, Logic Puzzle, Making Name Card, Coloring Mandala, Mystery Riddle, Auction on Value. Now, I ran out of ideas. If you have any idea, please suggest.[/quote

Hi, Liz, I guess you are such a good teacher trying various kinds of methods and putting much effort into helping students study English as much as you can. What about movie that can show American culture, like thanksgiving day or halloween day. We all know how important learning culture is in language learning. However, students have little knowledge about it. From my experience, before I study in Canada, I didn't know much about Halloween day, Thanksgiving day, Easter, or St. Patrick's day. I couldn't realized what these mean to Canadians and how Canadians celebrate them until I actually saw them celebrating. I firmly believe that students can get much information by movie rather than words.

p.s. Or I think it might be also a good idea to show movies about thanksgiving day or Halloween day around those dates, like after a midterm of second semester maybe?
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 28 2008, 07:31

Kim Jin-Young wrote:Frankly, I'm not a good advisor about this kind of matter, but I thought that we were in the same situation. Like you, I have two private teachings. One student is really excellent and he learns English very fast. Sometimes, I feel surprised at his acquisition speed. However, the other one is very tough. That means that she has a little perky personality. That factor sometimes overwhelmed me!
However, after the winter vacation ended about 2 months ago, two students got busy studying other subjects. Of course, they missed their homeworks and easily felt tired during the studying time.

The age around high school students is mature enough to know how to handle their study, so I usually advise them to do it by the next studying time. I never scolded them for missing their homework, but I showed that I fully understood their hard situations. Very often, I said like that way. However, I let them know that if they don't study as I ordered, the outcome will attributed to themselves.

Of course, it's case by case. It means that what is important depends on your student conditions. I would like you to know that just find out his or her study taste, so to speak, just imagine that if you were in his or her shoes, what do you want to listen to?

bakbann wrote:Dear Sam,

I'm tutoring a 3rd year highschool student. It's been 2 months since I tutored him. Although he is poor at English, he is polite and always respects me as a teacher. Moreover, he was such a hardworking student and did every homework I assigned. I was positive that I could improve his English soon. However, these days, he's not studying as hard as before. All of you know how hard Korean high school student should study. He is still well mannered but often miss homeworks. His mother expects me to enhance his English score in exams as soon as possible. I told him several times not to miss any homework politely but it didn't work. How can I make him study hard again without hurting our respectful relationship?

Thank you for your wonderful advice. I guess you are a great teacher who enables students to realize themselves. That's what I truly want to do as a teacher.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  bakbann on Mon Apr 28 2008, 07:38

jangdj wrote:

I'm tutoring a 3rd year highschool student. It's been 2 months since I tutored him. Although he is poor at English, he is polite and always respects me as a teacher. Moreover, he was such a hardworking student and did every homework I assigned. I was positive that I could improve his English soon. However, these days, he's not studying as hard as before. All of you know how hard Korean high school student should study. He is still well mannered but often miss homeworks. His mother expects me to enhance his English score in exams as soon as possible. I told him several times not to miss any homework politely but it didn't work. How can I make him study hard again without hurting our respectful relationship?

Remind him he is living in South Korea. I suggestthe best way to stay him motivated is push him hard.
Tell him this competitive society hardly give second chance to loser. Much of our life is hinges on how much you did last year of high school. Sad but True. At this moment you teach him as a eldert person rather than good hearted teacher..

Thank you for your helpful advice. I'm sad when I'm reminded of Korean education system and the society. Students are forced to study because of the social context in Korea. They study literally to survive in this Korean society. I'm of the opinion that when students themselves think they need to study and like to study, they can learn much more, and that's the real "study". I hope someday, my students can study voluntarily when they really want to, not under the pressure of fiercely competitive college entrance exam.
bakbann
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

If I am in your shoes,

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 18:23

Hi Hyo Jin,
Reading your article, I am thinking about myself because I consider having a part time job nowadays. After I entered this school, I tried to do part time job until my dad told me if you really want to be professional, you need to prepare yourself to be no.1 in your area by studying. I decided to stay home and study English but sometimes, I want ed to work when I met my friends who earn money theyselves.
In my opinion, you had better think what is more important to you between work and study.
Hyo-Jin Kim wrote:Dear Sam,

Hello. It's great to get to know you here. Very Happy
I'm here to get your wise advice.
I've been feeling something wrong with myself these days.
To speak more specifically, it is a little long story.

Around a year ago, I used to study very hard just like all the other classmates to enter a graduate school since I was eager to be a teacher, a really good teacher that I had always dreamt of in my school days. When I succeeded to pass the exam of KNU, I couldn't be happier and I was full of confidence that I would be able to do anything around the world. So I wasn't worried at all though I was well aware of the fact that I wouldn't just have to study but to work on purpose to earn my school and living expense.

After I moved to Daegu, I got my first job in an English kindergarten and soon my first semester at graduate school started as well. I found it never easy to make a balance between work and study. I got so exhausted both physically and mentally in teaching little kids everyday that I couldn't focus on school. I couldn't even meet the deadline of some assignments at times. I was terrible at controlling kids as well as teaching so I often lost my voice. And I also kept it in my mind that working wasn't the reason why I came to Daegu. As it gave me too much stress, I decided to quit the job. I started wondering if I could be a really good teacher after that. I got another job not to depend on parents and to figure it out. I had to teach adults English conversation this time. Although it was also difficult at first, it was very fun and I thought I had a potential anyway. There was still a problem, which was that I didn't have much free time. I wasn't working hard as the first time for the same reason and I felt like I got used to it. No
At the beginning of this semester, I tried to renew myself. I made up my mind to certainly do my best for the whole semester. Nevertheless, as I got another job, I found the same difficulty again. I couldn't fully attend to school! And I've been often rebuked for lack of charisma to control students again.

For those reasons, I feel kind of lost these days.
What should I do?
If you were me, what would you do?
I'll be looking forward to your thougtful answer.
Have a nice day. Bye. Like a Star @ heaven

Sincerely,

Hyo-Jin
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hi sam

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 18:43

When I was a high school student, I almost had 13 subject tests. It was really awful.
Especially, I was terrible in English so too many chapters made me even hang a ralph.
I wonder why teachers always gave us heavy burden which was hard to handle to high school students. I had to study English seperately, One for high school records, another for a national colleage enterance exam. This study was unefficient. I think that it should be changed in a good way.
In my opinion, teachers get together and seriously share their opinion which is best way to prove students abilities.
Bae Sung-han wrote:Dear Same,
As you know, I am a teacher who teach in Girls' high school. I have a problem not with students, but with a teacher.
Actually I'd like to teach students with efforts and enough time. You might not understand it with the latter one. I have to finish three chapters until the mid-term exam, which is definitely difficult for the students to catch up with what I am going to do right now. In fact, they have only maxium two hours for self-study at night after the class. Furthermore they have others to stick with, such as three other English books for the coming exam in May.
I really want to give them some time to overview what they learn from me.
Howeve, the teacher is always pushing me to finish the chapters before at the end of this month. I am not here to blame him to be wrong or something else, but I don't know what to do with him and studnets. I am actaully between them, so I am perplexed a lot.
The thing is surely that I will meet what he wants, but how about the students who do not get enough chance to do what they are supposed to do in the school. I am probably saying to you about the educational system as well, which is that I don't like to talk about right now.
Are there anyone to give me some tips for me, please?

Best regards,
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

boy

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 19:00

Nowadays, many students go aboard to study English. Most of them prepare Special educational high school which ensure top rank universities while some of students don't even know Alphabet. It is serious problem because most problems are caused by their parents low standard of living. I think he need dedicating help to reach the level.
If I were you, I would let him remain at my office after class and teach him.

Liz wrote:Dear Sam
Hi, nice to meet you.
In my homeroom class, there is a boy.
He is such a nice student who is kind and has a good personality and I like him a lot. Nowadays, it is very difficult to find a student like him. One day, he came to me and said 'I am really poor at English. Although I'm a middle school second grade, I don't even know ABC.' I asked him whether he is getting a help from somewhere else like an academy or tuturing but English classes at school were the only source. I'm sure that he wouldn't understand a bit of the class. He must be so bored! I don't know how I can help him and where should I start. Do you have any suggestions?
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

impression

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 19:11

Hi~
When I first saw you, I didn't think you are cold person. I wonder why people think like that? I heard that people judge others mostly through their looking and voice.
If you want to give them good impression, you wear a bright colored clothes and make a habit to smile. Actually, I am not type of peopel who care about others so I just do my way. Anyway, I think first impression is just their expectation, not who you are.

Kim Jin-Young wrote:Dear. Sam
Hi. It's good to meet you on-line here.
I have a problem about my first impression. I didn't recognize how first impressions were important to make friendships, especially to newcomers.
My face and attitude look a little cold, so some people think that I'm that kind of person. Sometimes, I blamed my uplifted eyes for that reason. At other times, I blamed my shyness that resulted in misunderstanding.
I have tried to express positive action to others since I was advised not to make a stony face. However I don't want to pretend to be always happy. Actually it's comfortable for me to look at somthing without any thought for the time being. Like this. silent
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

me too.

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 19:30

I like making plan.
I am always thinking that How much money I can earn from being teacher? What is the best way to be happy? How much time would be taken to master Toeic?
Is the teacher job able to satisfy me?
This thinking makes me unconcentrate on studying. This is the problem to me.. ;;
In addition, my plan is easy to change because I think to set my goal in the stone is early to me. I think You and I have a similarity.
In my opinion, Taking deep breath can be helpful at ease yourself.

Lee yujin wrote:Whenever I try to concentrate on something, I find myself easily distracted by everything surrounding me.
I want to get useful tips to help me concentrate from Sam!!!
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hi

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 19:57

This is not your alone problem. I also have problems like you.
I like watching DVD when I have no schedule.
Nowadays, I am watching "Gossip girl" which is about teenagers who are the upper classes of Manhattan.
There are many things I can not understand. It is not only listening English but also
their culture.
For example, Sarena's mon and her boyfriend's dad love each other. Her boyfriend's dad
has a wife who slips away to achieve her goal for a while.
They have known each other long ago, and they also have their own family.
Nevertheless Sarena's boyfriend's dad invites Serena's mon in his home, makes cook together and even kisses her to help her meet another date.
It is possible to understand other classmates but to me, it was strange.
We are not an American. We can not know everything about America in a short time.
Don't worry.

jangdj wrote:Dear sam ..

Well. sometimes I ask myself what is going on around my head. "Puzzled", "complicated" , "annoyed" those words don't seem appropiate to define the situation . To express and deliver messages clearly in the target language I do not have native-control, is too much burden to me. I must confess that yet I still can not write in english . I am doing translating job as matter of fact. I do build a sentence and translate it into target languge.I do not think in english and wirte simuntaneously. Interval between two process just got much shorter than it was long so sometimes I make people think I am functioning in english rather than translating.
As a M.A STUDENT and in the graduate shool of education, I frequently feel I am simply not good enough to be a prospective teacher. I fully aware that there is no migic for this sort of problem. However , I hope to see lamp's Genne
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

a spots nut

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 20:28

Hahahaha, I have a man who exactly like your husband.
Very Happy
I hope he would not see my writing.

He really like watching basketball game.
He collects several kind of DVDs which about basketball players growth stories.
It makes me sick and tired to wait this boring games ended and we have many fight to argue why he have to watch awesome game and why he should not to watch awuful game.
Oneday, He watched basketball games as usual.
I decided not to concern and care about him and terrible games.
I just did my exercise and hanged around with friends.
I never forgot to wear sexy clothes and perfume when I went outside.
A few days later, he changed his attitude toward me. Twisted Evil

Oksun wrote:Dear Sam,
I'm a woman in trouble. Fifteen years have passed since I got married. We have children. My husband is a sports nut.-he is crazy about all kinds of sports. My family rarely went anywhere for a vacation or a holiday, since he didn't want to miss a football, baseball or basketball game on TV. Whenever we are in the car, he insisted that the radio should be tuned to a game. Conversation was allowed only during commercials. My children who are not interested in sports have nothing to talk to their father. I asked my husband to do things with me and my children for a recreation but he ignored!! I thought I could change him but I failed. What shall I do ?

Frustrated Sad
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I know your student

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 20:42

Hi~Kurt.
I didn't know you had this homework already without saying to me.
Anyway,
I think your student need the time to prepare basic knowledge.
Airplanes can takeoff as taking takeoff distance and takeoff time to be ready.
In my opinion, you are with him to encourage him to fly.

kurt wrote:Dear Sam.

I have one student who have studied English so hard, but his performance has not improved yet. Whenever he took tests, his score remained the same. To see him disappointed is too much for me. What should I do for him?

Last edited by Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 21:09; edited 1 time in total
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hi

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 21:04

When I first entered the graduate school, I thought the half of the classmates can pass the Teacher's exam.
A few days later, I realized I was wrong. Only 2 or 3 person can pass the exam accoriding to statistical records. This makes me depressed and I regret my choice to apply here.
At that time, Hyunjin and Sanghun gave me good advice that the exam is not all purpose of graduate school. They said that it is the chance to learn how to teach students more effective than before.
It was really helpful and I can find a meaning why I come to this school.
Being "good" teacher is not easy. I hope this class would be best chance to make me professional.

Kyeong-im wrote:How eagerly do you want to be a teacher, especially middle and high school?

In my case, since I was a middle school student it has been my entire dream. BUT now.. frankly speaking, i don't know well.

After failure in teacher's exam, I wonder what I want to be. Now, I just teach kindergarten students and 1st/2nd grade elementary school students English. Through this experience I could learn something which I've never learn teacher's college. Compared to preschool education, secondary education is really different one. I think, now I'm learning what education is. general concept.. It's really interesting to hear my students' English saying, "good-bye", "brush your teeth", etc.. Even they are humming in English! When they call me smiling on their face, they hug me, and their mothers send me text-message "My child is really like this English class. Teacher, thank you very much.", I think, it is worth while to keep on this work.

However, because most friends around me want to be/are teachers, sometimes it seems to me that it is the way of failure not to be a real teacher(i mean "real teacher" = pass the teacher's exam). um.. just.. confused.. nowaday...

BUT I have a dream that every children who want to study can do it without financial difficulty. the truth education.. I mean Cham education.(참교육) Someday I will make it. I expect the day and train myself now...

p.s. ; my writing.. it's a little long~ and it seems serious story. If this makes you feel down, I'm sorry. silent I just want to say.. Sometimes telling something gets rid of stress. hahaha... ^______________^;;
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

baby

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 21:22

Hahaha, it's really serious problem.
You think of giving up graduate school because of your baby.
I want to stop you from taking care of your baby but it may be impossible.
Reading your writing, I want to remain single all my life.
My cousin always say that marriage is death to a love affair.
Sorry to say this.
I think it is really hard to solve the problem. How about discussing with your wife?

billy wrote:Dear Sam

Now i have a newborn baby, a little over a month now, who doesn't sleep well.. i mean he barely sleeps for more than 2 hours at a time. When i am in school, my wife and my mother-in-law takes care of my baby. But, at night i am the one who is in charge of hugging, feeding, and making him sleep, which means i have also barely slept for more than 2 hours at one time since he was released from a nursery center. Sometimes i feel i can't stand this any more and i really would like to quit my MA study right away(^^). What should i do? Help me, Sam!
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

tutoring

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 21:34

The easiest way is beating him.
just a joke.

I think your student a little bit get tired to study,as you know, just staying in high school give students a lot of stress.
He may want to free time to relaxe and look after his soul.
Don't scold him. He was a good student before.

Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hi

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 30 2008, 22:04

Wow~ long story.
I am sorry to get it out.

As reading your writing, I get felt I am reading my own story.
Of course, I am not second grade of school and not you.

In my case, I absent myself from school temporarily for taking ESL course and
my minor subject is economy. To get my minor, I had to take 21 units every semester and sesonal courses so there was no vacation.
I had prepared to apply financial company so I didn't have enough time to study English.

After I entered graduate school, I realize that Teacher's exam is almost impossible.
For a while, I regret my choice but I realize what I want to be.
Nowadays, I am spending a day pleasantly.

I hope you would not give yourself too much pressure to achieve goal.
I think you can do everything with your passion as fast as you can.
Fighting !! Ji-eun

Ji-eun wrote:Glad to meet you, Sam! I am a troubled girl. I'm second grade of M.A. study and this is my third semester! And since i started this study, i always have some worries about me and my future, 'cause there is nothing clear for my future, yet. After finish this study, i will apply for TEACHER's exam. I have only one years and half for this exam and it means i have to prepare for passing it. As you know, the competitive rate of this exam is getting higher and it is getting more hard to pass it and become a teacher. So i know i have to study and prepare a lot, but the problem is i don't know exactly what shall i do!! Is it right to start to study of Pedegogy now? of study just English? or what kind of study is sutiable for this time for me? I don't have any knowledge of Pedagody and my Enlgish is not good, neither. I have lots of thinkings just like i will do something blabla~ but actually i don't know what is good for me right now.

During my first year, i didn't study at all. Of course i know it's my excuse, but actually i don't have much time to invest for myself. Until now, i work from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm at English kindergarten, and after work, i go to school three time a week, so i come back home around 9:00 pm. (just like other classmates, here.^^) And I am a self-boarding student, i do some cleanings for my house, too. Of course i sincirely want to do my best for school and homework, but sometimes, i just exhasted after finish all i do. It's a kind of contracition. I came here to STUDY but during one year, i didn't study at all and just worked to make money for intuition fee, so this problem always bothers me a lot, like this, "Why did you come here? Why did you start to study M.A course? Did you forget the real reason? "

The point is that i don't want to regret anymore. The last year is enough for me to regret. So i want to live more zealously and for myself! and I want to study for me and for my teacher's exam. Whenever i go to the bookstore, there are lots of books for English, English education or pedagogy, but i can't choose books and i don't know how do i start to stdy.

Dear Sam! Please HLEP ME! What can i do for my English or preparing for my future? I will wait for your help. Sad
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you for your advice^^

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Thu May 01 2008, 10:29

Lee Hye Jin wrote:Sounds very tough and feel sorry about it.
I think you need some break. Don't make any plans this weekend and just spend all day for yourself and clean your room , desk and shelves. That can make you feel a little bit up lifeted.

And let's try to use between times(틈새시간?). While you wait for someone or something listen to some songs you like and read books you like and send tex messages for your friends.

And look at yoursefl in the mirror and smile. Then you may feel happy at the moment. I hope this would work for you!

See you~

Han Kyoung Jae wrote:Hi Sam. Glad to meet you here.
I have a problem now.
I'm so busy that I can't take a rest at home on weekends.
I have to study at the univeersity in the evening and I have to work during the daytime.
So I feel depressed and I get much stress.
If I quit the job or the study, I feel more free and not engaged. But I can't quit neither of them.
What should I do to feel happy and energetic without quiting these things?
Please give me good and wise advice.

from Kyoung Jae

Thank you for giving me a good piece of adivice.
After i read your advice, i looked at me through the mirror and smiled.
At first, it seemed a little bit ridiculous but i came to know that mind is very important for my attitude and has the influencing power for my behavior. Also, someone said that "If you can't avoid it, enjoy the situation."
I made up my mind to enjoy my tough situation and every morning i do it. haha^^
Now i still feel exhausted but i can endure to some degree.
I want to say thank you for your advice once again.
Give me five.^^
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Han Kyoung Jae on Thu May 01 2008, 10:50

Ji-eun wrote:Glad to meet you, Sam! I am a troubled girl. I'm second grade of M.A. study and this is my third semester! And since i started this study, i always have some worries about me and my future, 'cause there is nothing clear for my future, yet. After finish this study, i will apply for TEACHER's exam. I have only one years and half for this exam and it means i have to prepare for passing it. As you know, the competitive rate of this exam is getting higher and it is getting more hard to pass it and become a teacher. So i know i have to study and prepare a lot, but the problem is i don't know exactly what shall i do!! Is it right to start to study of Pedegogy now? of study just English? or what kind of study is sutiable for this time for me? I don't have any knowledge of Pedagody and my Enlgish is not good, neither. I have lots of thinkings just like i will do something blabla~ but actually i don't know what is good for me right now.

During my first year, i didn't study at all. Of course i know it's my excuse, but actually i don't have much time to invest for myself. Until now, i work from 9:30 am to 5:30 pm at English kindergarten, and after work, i go to school three time a week, so i come back home around 9:00 pm. (just like other classmates, here.^^) And I am a self-boarding student, i do some cleanings for my house, too. Of course i sincirely want to do my best for school and homework, but sometimes, i just exhasted after finish all i do. It's a kind of contracition. I came here to STUDY but during one year, i didn't study at all and just worked to make money for intuition fee, so this problem always bothers me a lot, like this, "Why did you come here? Why did you start to study M.A course? Did you forget the real reason? "

The point is that i don't want to regret anymore. The last year is enough for me to regret. So i want to live more zealously and for myself! and I want to study for me and for my teacher's exam. Whenever i go to the bookstore, there are lots of books for English, English education or pedagogy, but i can't choose books and i don't know how do i start to stdy.

Dear Sam! Please HLEP ME! What can i do for my English or preparing for my future? I will wait for your help. Sad

I completely understand you and your situation. I am also in the same M.A course as you. And i have the same problem as yours. I not only work at the English institute but also go to school to study every third evening. Everyday i regret not doing my best both parts. But now i can endure my situation despite all troubles because i have to study to make my dreams and goals come true. And through my career I can get the benefits and i can take advantage of the experience in my teaching later. Ji-eun, let's study hard and as you sais above there are many kinds of different useful materials for the teacher's exam. By making use of those materials, you can improve your English ability and prepare well for the exam. Above all I think self- confidence is more important than anything else. So have a confidence and concentrate on your dream. Then someday you'll enjoy your situation and find yourself to be a more competent person. Good luck to you.^^
Han Kyoung Jae
Wizard
Wizard

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ji-eun on Wed Jun 04 2008, 20:39

Thank you for giving so warm solution for me! I shoud have made reply earlier.. ^^

Whenever i saw you, you look so energetin and do your best everything. I think you don't need to worry too much, too! And most of all, you have enough time than me! right? ^^ I have a lot of regrets for my whole 3 semester. At the first time in sememter, i just determined that trying to do my best at school but i couldn't keep this promise by myself. So i will change or try to change from this summer. ^^

Anyway, thank you again and i wish you will come true your dreams. Smile
Ji-eun
Flyer
Flyer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6