This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

comment

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Apr 10 2008, 13:22

bakbann wrote:Summary
Annual Cherry Blossom Festival has started in Washington D.C. The festival is expected to draw about a million of people to this beautiful flowery heaven. It is to commemorate the gift, 3000 cherry trees, from Japan as a token of growing friendship between US and Japan.

Opinion
I'm of the opinion that Japan is great at spreading its culture and making foreigners Japan-friendly. Japanese culture is loved all over the world, including these beautiful cherry blossoms and Japanese animation. People even in Washington D.C, which is thousands miles away from Japan, are enjoying the beauty and fragrance of the cherry blossoms. They'll go back home with better attitudes on Japan unconsciously thanks to the charm of cherry blossoms. All in all, Japan lets foreigners know about itself and makes them like it.

Prediction
My prediction is that Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. will maintain its popularity. Cherry blossoms are charming enough to attract myriads of people out in this beautiful and warm spring weather. It can make anyone feel great when they walk between dazzling lines of pink trees with fully blown flowers and with sweet smell. Therefore, numerous people will keep visiting Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. flower

[comment]
I like your expression "flowery heaven." I think that's really unique and creative. Yes, I agree with you about Japan's culture. They really make things cute. Maybe we have to send our national flower, rose of Sharon to D.C. so that we can give good impressiion to the visitors. I think the next few decades will be flower wars. haha.
avatar
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

comment

Post  eunjin39 on Thu Apr 10 2008, 13:29

Joo Un-jin wrote:summary: This report is composed of six ones. The first is about James Bond's villain. But it's too sorry that I can't understand it. The second is about George Clooney's gradual change from an actor to a movie director. The third one is about Madonna's trip to Malawi, the southern African country. Maybe she will do something there for adopting a local baby, who has been lived with her since 2006. The fourth one is about Celine Dion's adjusting schedules. The last one is about Beyonce and her fiance, between whom a wedding plan is made including filling out a marriage license.




opinion: I hope that George Clooney will be successful as a director. His much experience as an actor will be helpful a lot. Also there are many actors who succeeded as directors. But I want to see him on the screen often. I don't want to lose chances to see the most attractive man in the world. And my opinion about Madonna's adopting an African baby is that it's very good. People in Western countries think optimistic about adoption. They don't stick to 'the same blood.' I think it's so logical that we should learn something about that. In Korea, prejudice about adoption has changed a little. I hope this continues. But I think adoption by stars can be misused. They can do that to advertise or promote themselves. Sometimes they are trying to appeal themselves to people by showing their good behavior. Rolling Eyes




prediction: My prediction is that people will pay much attention to Beyonce's wedding. She is a super star enough to catch the eyes of people all over the world. All the medias and even paparazzi will follow her. They will go wherever she goes and pay too much attention to her life including her wedding. We can know well in my house about her wedding, pregnance, babies and all her private life.

[comment]
I'm personally not a George Clooney's big fan, but I feel surprised to hear him to be a director. What a great idea and talent! I used to think Actors should be actors forever, and directors should do directing jobs forever, but I feel like the board between those two area was gone long ago. I also feel opsitive about adoption. Well, I hope I can adop a baby later like Madonna did (but not an international baby). I feel happy for Beyonce that she got married to her boyfriend finally. Well, sometimes I feel sorry for celebrities because they don't seem to have much privacy. How can we get rid of paparazzi ????
avatar
eunjin39
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 60
Join date : 2008-03-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

2nd Video

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Thu Apr 10 2008, 13:46

summary: There is likely to be a new villain in Bond's life who is a mayer of a remote, small town. He is supposed to be upset because of a fictional spy' adventures but he was detained by police.

George Cloony, a super Hollywood star, is planning to make a gradual transition from on the screen to behind the camera. Since he is well aware of his career as a leading man, he is making the third film as a director.

Madonna is taking a trip to Malawi, a southern African country, next week to see if she can adopt David Ritchie who is a local child having lived with her and her husband since 2006.

Celine Dion has to adjust her schedule after her April 13th' concert in Beijing was cancelled for the organizer's failure to obtain the permission despite selling thousands of tickets.

There is numerous support for Beyonce's wedding plan including filling out the account and a marriage license in LA.

Opinion: James bond seems to be challenging a new kind of performance. I'm very happy to see an actor making effort to satisfy the audience since there are too many actors and actresses who show the same thing over and over. Also, it sounds very good that George Cloony is trying to improve his career as a director beyond an actor. I don't think that entertainers can succeed only with their talents. They should continue not just to practice acting but to study the area so that they may keep their popularity and be remembered forever. Thus, we need such actors as James bond and George Cloony. I hope their works will be successful as well.

Next, I was very surprised to get to know Madonna's interests in adoption because Angelina Jolie was the only one that was interested in adopting children as I knew before. I'm of the opinion that she is doing an excellent job to popularize the adoption to the public. Since people know little about adoption, it is the best way for entertainers to commercialize it or to show it in practice.

Then, I feel sorry about that Celine Dion's concert has been cancelled. She has been blamed for it a lot as the reasons haven't been clearly revealed. Well-known people, especially entertainers, are likely to be often criticized by the media and farther the public even when it is not their fault. It was said that the cancellation was due to the organizers' mistake in the news. Therefore, we'd better not call Celine Dion to account, but the organizers.

Finally, it was good to hear about the marriage of Beyonce. She wasn't spoken of a lot in the news, but I surely understand that there must be a lot who are willing to support her wedding. If they support her wedding, they will be able to promote their products automatically and the products will be a big hit, considering her fame worldwide. However, I wish the supporters at least congratulate her wedding with sincere even if they help her for their good.

Prediction: I believe that the new movies of James Bond and George Cloony will be popular when they open for both the actor and the director are struggling to make good movies. Besides, it will motivate the other actors/actresses work harder. And Madonna will form a bigger family by successfully adopting David and more kids from other countries. It can have a great deal of influence on normal people hesitating to adopt children. Celine Dion might officially apologize to her disappointed fans and plan to have another concert in Beijing soon. Last, Beyonce will happily have a big wedding ceremony in a lot of supports and congratulations of all the people who love her.


Last edited by Hyo-Jin Kim on Mon Apr 14 2008, 05:51; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 41
Join date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Complicated Hollywoods!!

Post  Lee yujin on Thu Apr 10 2008, 18:27

Joo Un-jin wrote:summary: This report is composed of six ones. The first is about James Bond's villain. But it's too sorry that I can't understand it. The second is about George Clooney's gradual change from an actor to a movie director. The third one is about Madonna's trip to Malawi, the southern African country. Maybe she will do something there for adopting a local baby, who has been lived with her since 2006. The fourth one is about Celine Dion's adjusting schedules. The last one is about Beyonce and her fiance, between whom a wedding plan is made including filling out a marriage license.




opinion: I hope that George Clooney will be successful as a director. His much experience as an actor will be helpful a lot. Also there are many actors who succeeded as directors. But I want to see him on the screen often. I don't want to lose chances to see the most attractive man in the world. And my opinion about Madonna's adopting an African baby is that it's very good. People in Western countries think optimistic about adoption. They don't stick to 'the same blood.' I think it's so logical that we should learn something about that. In Korea, prejudice about adoption has changed a little. I hope this continues. But I think adoption by stars can be misused. They can do that to advertise or promote themselves. Sometimes they are trying to appeal themselves to people by showing their good behavior. Rolling Eyes




prediction: My prediction is that people will pay much attention to Beyonce's wedding. She is a super star enough to catch the eyes of people all over the world. All the medias and even paparazzi will follow her. They will go wherever she goes and pay too much attention to her life including her wedding. We can know well in my house about her wedding, pregnance, babies and all her private life.

I think Hollywoods is full of interesting story not only for movie plot but also in the real life of actors.
They are highly talented and good at finding out what would be beneficial to them.
But sometimes their fame can't get them always happiness because there must be people who want to know thier even private life.
avatar
Lee yujin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 61
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Your prediction is convincing.

Post  inmyheart479 on Fri Apr 11 2008, 08:30

billy wrote:Summary: FRB chairman Ben Bernanke expects the US economy will stay at its current level or even may contract a little, but it will pick up in the 2nd half of the year as a result of aggressive interest rate cuts and stabilization of financial conditions and housing market.

Opinion: Bernanke told before congress that the US ecoonomy will improve in the 2nd half of the year 2008 even though it may retract a little from its already troubled state. However, I am of the opinion that the US economic president Bernanke's prediction is a little dangerous and biased. When the economic concerns resulting from the so-called subprime mortagage loan started to arise last year, many financial newspapers and investment companies reported that no one would be able to predict the impact it might have on the world economy, let alone the USA. Some financial experts expected that its economic loss might be more than the staggerting 500 billion dollars and the US government is reported to have put in 150 billion dollars as only an emergency measure. That is, as no one expected the strongest country would ever experience this economic fallout, any quick-tempered prediction may play havoc with the sign of recovery.

Prediction and 'Why': My prediction is that even though there is a little bit of good sign that the economy will get back on its right track such as seemingly stabilized gold and oil price and stock market, we must not come to any hasty conclusion that the US economy will pick up sooner or later. You may have heard about the so-called Butterfly Effect, which means a little flapping of one butterfly in Beijing could end up with a devastating tornado in the US. It looks like the direction may turn backward this time from the US to the rest of the world. As the NYSE market tumbled down, the world stock market indexes were shaking as well. The world economy is already too connected to underestimate the financial impact of the giant market. For now, we have to wait and see.

Hi, Mr.Jang~
It's an extremely well organized piece of aticle that has your clear opinin with prediction. It is very convincing as well.
Relating the current status of US economy to the Buttefly Effect is very interesting and original ,which leads me to better understang of what's going on in the US regarding the greenback. As you mentioned, I don't think either that US economy will simply bounce back on account of the slide of the American dollar against Yen and the huge financial investment of a failed policy.


Last edited by inmyheart479 on Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:57; edited 1 time in total
avatar
inmyheart479
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 44
Join date : 2008-03-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  billy on Fri Apr 11 2008, 09:35

I really enjoyed your opinon and prediction and was impressed by your good knowledge of this matter. The cherryblossom trees delivered to the Washington D.C. in 1912 were surely a sign of peace and cooperation. However, it also attests to the fact that there is no forever foe or friend in the world of diplomacy. As you know, the Pacific War broke out in 1938 with the sudden attack by the Japanese airplanes. If you didn't know, you may watch the movie, 'Pearl Harbour' starred by Mat Damon and you can get a good knolwedge of the historical incident. Ironically, these cherryblossom trees in DC now may represent the seemingly reciprocal foreign relationship between the two countries. Now, who knows what's going to happen in the future?

Jung Yoojin wrote:Summary :
There is an annual festival of cherry blossom in Washington DC in United States. People are visiting there for tourism. The National Park is expecting millions visitors are coming. These three thousand of trees are planted to commemorate the friendship with Japan and United States. The officials are signing the peak point at April third, and these cherry blossom shows spring come out in United States.

General Opinion :
As the news says, there are cherry blossoms prevalent in Washington DC. This means Spring is coming and nearly arrived. As you can see, there are lots of cherry blossom which already bloomed in Daegu. Why don't you take a walk in KNU ? That would be fantastic! Whenever I saw cherry blossoms in KNU, I think those have such a beaty and nice smell. Cherry blossoms express Japanese national flowers, and they remind me our national flowers "The Althea." Sometimes I can hardly find them in the street and around schools whereas cherry blossoms can.


Prediction :
The cherry blossom festival advertise all over the world and many tourists are going there. And Washington DC congress utilize this place for their tourism, then it become a national business yeilding benifits. Then the festival become imminent commemoration in Japan and United States. Because visitors tend to visit some prominent places with their tastes. Washington DC is the capital of Unitied States, that means there are lots of people who are droping in for either their business or travels. Then congress can make a benefit from its circumstances, that is why cherry blossom can be used for tourism business in Washington DC.
avatar
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 44
Join date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  billy on Fri Apr 11 2008, 10:01

Dear my senior Mr. Park! First i would like to thank you for your sincere contribution. I would like to let you know it's my great honor to attend the graduate college this semester. I am more than willing to agree with you. Our grandparents had to suffer the 35-year of brutal Japanese colonial rule and we are well aware of a cherry blossom is the Japanese national flower. Thus, whenever i see these flowers, i cannot but sympathise with our grandparents for their pain and suffering. However, i also cannot deny the feeling of brightness and plentifulnees when i see these flowers. You may understand how i feel when i walk through the so-called 'Cherry Road' in KNU campus. Anyway, it's spring and let's enjoy the flowers whether they be in DC or in Daegu.

Park, Saang-yung wrote:Summary : We can see an annual cherry blossom festival in Washingto D.C. The spectacular disposition around Title(?) Basin and gorgeous pink blossom of cherry will satisfy you whether this is the first time or not. The trees were the gift from Japan in 1912, which makes us memorize the growing friendship between the U.S. and Japan.




Opinion : I like cherry blossom days most in a year. In the past, Some Koreans persuaded us to pull out all the cherry trees along the road. The reason was that the blossom represents Japan and Japanese planted many cherry trees in Korea so that every Korean can admire the flower and Japan's glory....(you know we have painful history under the reign of Japan by 1945). It was the saddest history for Koreans. Nevertheless, I like cherry blossom because of unforgettable memory with a lady in my 20s.




PREDICTION : As time goes by, the cherry blossom will be a bigger attraction for everyone. It's because the cherry trees will grow bigger and bigger and people will recognize that it is "Nature's gift" rather than Japanese gift.
avatar
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 44
Join date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

You've got the good point!

Post  Oksun on Fri Apr 11 2008, 10:16

kiera wrote:Summary : The chairman of FRB, Ben Bernanke said the economic condition of the USA has been contracted in the first half of the year and might become worse unless the government do something to increase the domestic product growth. He also expected that the US economic activity will be strengthen in the year of 2009 thanks to the certain actions such as aggressive interest rate cut.

Opinion : I think that the financial woes of the USA is closely related to the world economy, of course Korea's, too. And I also get a tip for the appropriate investment from the corruption of Bank Bearstearns. That is "Too much is as bad as too little."

Prediction : My prediction is that recession of the US economy won't get better easily because of economical crisis such as soaring oil price, unemployment, and burden of the war expense.
Hi, you stated your opinion on the video so clearly and briefly,as usual.
I'm not an economy person and I don't have enough background knowledge about this situation, so I couldn't fully understand the details of this video.
I agree on your opinion that the financial dilemma of the U.S is directly concerned with the global economy. The economic recession ofThe U.S will have an impact on Korean economy, as well. I hope things are looking up sometime soon.
avatar
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 58
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Oksun on Fri Apr 11 2008, 10:30

bakbann wrote:Summary
Annual Cherry Blossom Festival has started in Washington D.C. The festival is expected to draw about a million of people to this beautiful flowery heaven. It is to commemorate the gift, 3000 cherry trees, from Japan as a token of growing friendship between US and Japan.

Opinion
I'm of the opinion that Japan is great at spreading its culture and making foreigners Japan-friendly. Japanese culture is loved all over the world, including these beautiful cherry blossoms and Japanese animation. People even in Washington D.C, which is thousands miles away from Japan, are enjoying the beauty and fragrance of the cherry blossoms. They'll go back home with better attitudes on Japan unconsciously thanks to the charm of cherry blossoms. All in all, Japan lets foreigners know about itself and makes them like it.

Prediction
My prediction is that Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. will maintain its popularity. Cherry blossoms are charming enough to attract myriads of people out in this beautiful and warm spring weather. It can make anyone feel great when they walk between dazzling lines of pink trees with fully blown flowers and with sweet smell. Therefore, numerous people will keep visiting Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington D.C. flower

I also think Japan is smart enough to make people around the world be Japan-friendly(I like this word) . There's a sort of hostility towards Japanese things but I can't but admit Japan's powerful, dominant ability in the Global Village.
avatar
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 58
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

i envy you. ^^

Post  Kyeong-im on Fri Apr 11 2008, 20:09

Yoobin Cha wrote:


Summary: It's time to see pink in Washington DC.

With the annual Cherry Blossom Festival kicking off in US Capital, Organaizers
expect that million visitors will be drown(?) the city basin to see the show.
This years, the national park servicers predicted that the most famous pink blossoms or the reached peak blossom on April 3.

The point to the flower is officially sign that spring has sprung.

The festival commenorates the Japan in 1912 gifts to the United State.

3 thousand cherry blossom trees mark a growing friendship between two countries.


Opinion: I'm of the opinion that Cherry blossoms must be one of the most enduring
symbols of spring.
In KNU Campus, there are lots of Cherry blossom trees whose smell are
awesome. I love spring! I went to Su-sung pond last week. Thousands of
families, couples and groups descend to snap photos between the blossoms.
I boarded Duck Boat which can follow up real ducks and played dart game
which bursted ballons and gave me dolls as many as I bursted it. FYI, I got big
Hello Kitty doll made in China;; clown
It's time to observe the joyfulness of spring! Korea goes pretty in pink.


Prediction: My prediction is that around this time of year, two waves hit Korea
almost simultaneously. From the west, a gust of gold dust sweeps
across the Yellow Sea. The dust would be a good enough excuse to stay
indoors, but then you would miss a parade of cherry blossoms turning
areas of Korea into a pink wonderland.
In cherry blossom season, a number of festivals around Korea will be
giving viewers the opportunity to experience other activities while enjoying
the picturesque atmosphere.

Hi, yoobin ^^
i envy you that you took wonderful time in su-sung pond. i totally agree with your opinion and prediction. If there was not yellow dust, we could enjoy the beauty of spring better than before.
avatar
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

That's right.

Post  Kyeong-im on Fri Apr 11 2008, 20:16

Park, Saang-yung wrote:Summary : We can see an annual cherry blossom festival in Washingto D.C. The spectacular disposition around Title(?) Basin and gorgeous pink blossom of cherry will satisfy you whether this is the first time or not. The trees were the gift from Japan in 1912, which makes us memorize the growing friendship between the U.S. and Japan.




Opinion : I like cherry blossom days most in a year. In the past, Some Koreans persuaded us to pull out all the cherry trees along the road. The reason was that the blossom represents Japan and Japanese planted many cherry trees in Korea so that every Korean can admire the flower and Japan's glory....(you know we have painful history under the reign of Japan by 1945). It was the saddest history for Koreans. Nevertheless, I like cherry blossom because of unforgettable memory with a lady in my 20s.




PREDICTION : As time goes by, the cherry blossom will be a bigger attraction for everyone. It's because the cherry trees will grow bigger and bigger and people will recognize that it is "Nature's gift" rather than Japanese gift.


Hello, Saang-yung
That's right! Although when I think our history it makes me angry, I think, the past is the past. History, it is a footboard which makes our country developed rather than an obstacle. Actually, cherry blossoms, they did nothing. ^^;; Enjoy the nature as it is.
avatar
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

butterfly effect...

Post  Kyeong-im on Fri Apr 11 2008, 20:31

billy wrote:Summary: FRB chairman Ben Bernanke expects the US economy will stay at its current level or even may contract a little, but it will pick up in the 2nd half of the year as a result of aggressive interest rate cuts and stabilization of financial conditions and housing market.

Opinion: Bernanke told before congress that the US ecoonomy will improve in the 2nd half of the year 2008 even though it may retract a little from its already troubled state. However, I am of the opinion that the US economic president Bernanke's prediction is a little dangerous and biased. When the economic concerns resulting from the so-called subprime mortagage loan started to arise last year, many financial newspapers and investment companies reported that no one would be able to predict the impact it might have on the world economy, let alone the USA. Some financial experts expected that its economic loss might be more than the staggerting 500 billion dollars and the US government is reported to have put in 150 billion dollars as only an emergency measure. That is, as no one expected the strongest country would ever experience this economic fallout, any quick-tempered prediction may play havoc with the sign of recovery.

Prediction and 'Why': My prediction is that even though there is a little bit of good sign that the economy will get back on its right track such as seemingly stabilized gold and oil price and stock market, we must not come to any hasty conclusion that the US economy will pick up sooner or later. You may have heard about the so-called Butterfly Effect, which means a little flapping of one butterfly in Beijing could end up with a devastating tornado in the US. It looks like the direction may turn backward this time from the US to the rest of the world. As the NYSE market tumbled down, the world stock market indexes were shaking as well. The world economy is already too connected to underestimate the financial impact of the giant market. For now, we have to wait and see.

Hello, billy
Through your writing I could learn more. Because I'm not interested in politics or economics it's a little difficult and boring issue to discuss this area.
Butterfly Effect.. Here, once again, I feel that we are one and this world is connected very much as the world "global village" suggests.
Although there's nothing that I can do right now I decide to study some more about these fields. Thank you! ^^
avatar
Kyeong-im
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 55
Join date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Liz on Sun Apr 13 2008, 06:03

Oksun wrote:Idea Summary : Big crowds are drawn toward the City's tidal basin, with annual cherry blossoms festival starting in Washington D.C. Three thousands cherry trees, which were Japan's 1912 gift to the United States, are to reach their peak through April 3rd.

Exclamation Opinion: When Korea was under Japanese imperialism, Japan planted many cherry trees all over the country to mark its domination over Korea. Despite vestiges of Japanese imperialism , we descendants enjoy the cherry blossoms,especially in Jinhae,every year. I'm of the opinion that the case is almost the same with the States. Japan gave 3000 cherry trees to the U.S. in 1912 as a token of friendship. However, 28years later, it provoked the World War two by attacking on Pearl Harbor. With all the suffering from the War, many Americans and people from the world enjoy and feel awesome at the splendid, spectacular cherry blossoms ! Japanese national flower in Washington D.C.? I take this to be historically ironical.

Question prediction: My prediction is that, the U.S. will try to maintain and consolidate the relations between two countries with its cherry blossoms festival held every year. This is because the United States wants to position itself as the world's "Only Superpower". In terms of promoting the national interests, the U.S. benefits from the festival as well.


After I read your opinion, I feel ashamed. I was totally ignorant about this and I have never wondered how come so many cherry trees are planted in Korea. I heard about many news of celebrating beautiful cherry blossoms but never heard of the behind history. According to your story, it's a symbol of Japan's sovereign over Korea. I am not saying that we should not enjoy the beautiful scenary of cherry blossom. However, we should be educated how it came to Korea and get lesson from this : Never let this historical tragic happen again.
avatar
Liz
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 45
Join date : 2008-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I just try to figure the second news

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun Apr 13 2008, 08:41

I did the fist video talking about cherry blossom, but I need to comment more, so I am trying to lisen to the second one.
I am pretty not sure whether I have got the point or not but anyway I will do my best^^

Summary :
The Federal economic chairman Bernaky announced that the economic situation is getting worse the first half of the year. So he announced that other economic communities are needed to join. And then he would make the economic stabilization by doing some policies. Then he predicted the economics emerge fine.


Opinion :
I do not really have much background knowledge about economics and policy things. But as you know even in Korea , the economic situation is very unstable. Because of world economic situation such as oil prices and stock markets , it effects to all over the world including Korea. I think United States should try to endeavor to solve oil prices firsty. Oil fluctuation influnces everywhere. So every economic community make some effort to figure out the prices together.


Prediction :
U.S stock market will be stabilized , morever Chinses stock market gets stabilizatoin as well. According to the stituation, Korea economic situation especially for exporting area gets better. However, U.S dollar does not decrease somehow, so exporting industries get some benefits from that, but the importing industries have troublesome with importing materials. Then civilians feel still difficult to buy stationary or living things. Korean government tries to stabilize the price by regulating products.
avatar
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Oh, I have just read yours , it's good!~

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun Apr 13 2008, 08:49

Hello, my senior Yujin.
I have tried to figure out the second video.It was pretty hard for me to catch some ideas. (because it was related with economics Smile )
Anyway, after reading your opinions, I have got some ideas about U.S economic crisis.
I just think it relates to oil price fluctuation, but U.S have some problems with internal problems such as mortage and loans. oh~
I also agree with your opinion U.S should take action as soon as possible. Someone mentioned about butterfly effect. Yes, if U.S economic crisis gets worse, it could influnce to all over the world. That will be a misery.
Lee yujin wrote:Summary
Bernake said U.S economy will get wores the first half of this year before it will get better.
Probably the second half of the year the economy will be picked up by the stablization of the interest rates and housing.

Opinion
Nowday U.S have gone through the difficult time since the submorgage problem broke out.
Also bacause of the economic crisis of this most powerful country, the whole world seem to face with difficult time. Iim of the opinion that U.S should do take action on this crisis as soon as possible and as wiesly as possible.
Because this cisis would not be limitied to U.S. Since the pirice of oil and grain has been soaring, many poor country is suffering from femine and poverty. I even read the article that said Haiti people lived on the dust because of the high price of the food.

Prediction
As Bernake said this crisis could be extended before the recovery. It needs more time to deal with complcated problems on housing and loan interest rates. But I hope U.S economy will get better soon.
avatar
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Kyung im~

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun Apr 13 2008, 08:55

When I read your comment, I feel common with you.(is this right expression?)
Anyway, I feel as well with you. We were students for four or five years ^^, that could effect to us. I mean we were students , so that's why we don't have much background knowledge about politics or economics. Even we were university students, we were busy to prepare the examination. That effects us. However, we still have chances to learn. Through this class , through sharing opinions, and through those news, I believe we can learn^^. I would like to say to you, we are learners~! It means we have still need to endeabor to learn! haha Cheer up! and let's learn more!
Kyeong-im wrote:
billy wrote:Summary: FRB chairman Ben Bernanke expects the US economy will stay at its current level or even may contract a little, but it will pick up in the 2nd half of the year as a result of aggressive interest rate cuts and stabilization of financial conditions and housing market.

Opinion: Bernanke told before congress that the US ecoonomy will improve in the 2nd half of the year 2008 even though it may retract a little from its already troubled state. However, I am of the opinion that the US economic president Bernanke's prediction is a little dangerous and biased. When the economic concerns resulting from the so-called subprime mortagage loan started to arise last year, many financial newspapers and investment companies reported that no one would be able to predict the impact it might have on the world economy, let alone the USA. Some financial experts expected that its economic loss might be more than the staggerting 500 billion dollars and the US government is reported to have put in 150 billion dollars as only an emergency measure. That is, as no one expected the strongest country would ever experience this economic fallout, any quick-tempered prediction may play havoc with the sign of recovery.

Prediction and 'Why': My prediction is that even though there is a little bit of good sign that the economy will get back on its right track such as seemingly stabilized gold and oil price and stock market, we must not come to any hasty conclusion that the US economy will pick up sooner or later. You may have heard about the so-called Butterfly Effect, which means a little flapping of one butterfly in Beijing could end up with a devastating tornado in the US. It looks like the direction may turn backward this time from the US to the rest of the world. As the NYSE market tumbled down, the world stock market indexes were shaking as well. The world economy is already too connected to underestimate the financial impact of the giant market. For now, we have to wait and see.

Hello, billy
Through your writing I could learn more. Because I'm not interested in politics or economics it's a little difficult and boring issue to discuss this area.
Butterfly Effect.. Here, once again, I feel that we are one and this world is connected very much as the world "global village" suggests.
Although there's nothing that I can do right now I decide to study some more about these fields. Thank you! ^^
avatar
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

"Nature's gift "?

Post  Oksun on Sun Apr 13 2008, 16:00

Park, Saang-yung wrote:Summary : We can see an annual cherry blossom festival in Washingto D.C. The spectacular disposition around Title(?) Basin and gorgeous pink blossom of cherry will satisfy you whether this is the first time or not. The trees were the gift from Japan in 1912, which makes us memorize the growing friendship between the U.S. and Japan.




Opinion : I like cherry blossom days most in a year. In the past, Some Koreans persuaded us to pull out all the cherry trees along the road. The reason was that the blossom represents Japan and Japanese planted many cherry trees in Korea so that every Korean can admire the flower and Japan's glory....(you know we have painful history under the reign of Japan by 1945). It was the saddest history for Koreans. Nevertheless, I like cherry blossom because of unforgettable memory with a lady in my 20s.




PREDICTION : As time goes by, the cherry blossom will be a bigger attraction for everyone. It's because the cherry trees will grow bigger and bigger and people will recognize that it is "Nature's gift" rather than Japanese gift.

As for me, whenever I see the cherry trees , it reminds me that they are Japan's national tree and Korean's sad and tragic history. I love your expression at the bottom of your writing. - it's Natrure's gift"rather than Japanese gift. You can say that again ! Personally, if I had a chance to get familiar with you, I like to hear about your romance with a lady related to Cherry blossoms . Smile
avatar
Oksun
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 58
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

yes.. you are right!

Post  sunnypine on Sun Apr 13 2008, 20:56

Liz wrote:summary : Every year, nearly million visitors came to washington, D.C. to celebrate cherry blossom festival and those 3,000 cherry trees were present from Japan at 1912. opinion : It's wonderful to see that many people in the United States love to go on a picnic under the cherry blossoms. They felt happy to see them and recognized them as the beginning of the spring. So I'm of the opinion that there should be more places for enjoying the cherry blossom.
prediction : My prediction is that the friendship between two countries will be kept solid and strong as long as the cherry trees blossom. It was a gift from Japan to the United States as a symbol of their friendship and whenever people watch the cherry blossom, they will always be reminded of that whether they like it or not.


I thought the fact that those cherry blossom trees were given by Japan is very interesting, because when I see cherry blossoms I usually think of Japan anyway. I don't know why but i firmly think cherry blossoms are Japan's tree, and Japan gave cherry blossom trees to the US, and that's really interesting to know. Why don't they give us some? haha anyways I like cherry blossom trees and it was good news to watch!! Let's enjoy the Spring!! It's ours Like a Star @ heaven
avatar
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 52
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wow Hollywood~

Post  sunnypine on Sun Apr 13 2008, 21:23

Hyo-Jin Kim wrote:summary: There is likely to be a new villain in Bond's life who is a mayer of a remote, small town. He is supposed to be upset because of a fictional spy' adventures but he was detained by police.

George Cloony, a super Hollywood star, is planning to make a gradual transition from on the screen to behind the camera. Since he is well aware of his career as a leading man, he is making the third film as a director.

Madonna is taking a trip to Malawi, a southern African country, next week to see if she can adopt David Ritchie who is a local child having lived with her and her husband since 2006.

Celine Dion has to adjust her schedule after her April 13th' concert in Beijing was cancelled for the organizer's failure to obtain the permission despite selling thousands of tickets.

There is numerous support for Beyonce's wedding plan including filling out the account and a marriage license in LA.

ok.. I saw the summary of yours happily. I like to know about Hollywood stars' news actually. Even though this information is interesting, I think they get too much attention from others. They are just people too, like us (but they make a lot of money, haha). Sometimes I wonder, "Why do I need to know this?" I don't need to no what kind of underwear they wear or whatever. Anyways, I like your writing! Surprised
avatar
sunnypine
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 52
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Impressive^^

Post  Jung Yoojin on Sun Apr 13 2008, 21:47

Hello billy
Thank your for commenting mine. I was impressed when I talked with you about videos.
Your English skills and expressions are fantastic! Sometimes I realize I need to learn more and more(that's why I come to postgraduate though^^) Anyway, thank you for suggesting to watch a movie . I know about the realationship beteen U.S and Japan related with the Second World War. I haven't seen that movie but I have read some articles talking about that. (I will see that someday ~) Even I read those, but I could think further as yours. Yes diplomatic relationship , we can not predict. But I just think every nations have good fellowship with their own benefits. That's why Korea had turned Taiwan's fellowship to Chinese government. And I think Japan is still one of the strongest nations in the world, so United States also need to keep their relationship in a good mood. Even if they do not want, they should do so.
billy wrote:I really enjoyed your opinon and prediction and was impressed by your good knowledge of this matter. The cherryblossom trees delivered to the Washington D.C. in 1912 were surely a sign of peace and cooperation. However, it also attests to the fact that there is no forever foe or friend in the world of diplomacy. As you know, the Pacific War broke out in 1938 with the sudden attack by the Japanese airplanes. If you didn't know, you may watch the movie, 'Pearl Harbour' starred by Mat Damon and you can get a good knolwedge of the historical incident. Ironically, these cherryblossom trees in DC now may represent the seemingly reciprocal foreign relationship between the two countries. Now, who knows what's going to happen in the future?

Jung Yoojin wrote:Summary :
There is an annual festival of cherry blossom in Washington DC in United States. People are visiting there for tourism. The National Park is expecting millions visitors are coming. These three thousand of trees are planted to commemorate the friendship with Japan and United States. The officials are signing the peak point at April third, and these cherry blossom shows spring come out in United States.

General Opinion :
As the news says, there are cherry blossoms prevalent in Washington DC. This means Spring is coming and nearly arrived. As you can see, there are lots of cherry blossom which already bloomed in Daegu. Why don't you take a walk in KNU ? That would be fantastic! Whenever I saw cherry blossoms in KNU, I think those have such a beaty and nice smell. Cherry blossoms express Japanese national flowers, and they remind me our national flowers "The Althea." Sometimes I can hardly find them in the street and around schools whereas cherry blossoms can.


Prediction :
The cherry blossom festival advertise all over the world and many tourists are going there. And Washington DC congress utilize this place for their tourism, then it become a national business yeilding benifits. Then the festival become imminent commemoration in Japan and United States. Because visitors tend to visit some prominent places with their tastes. Washington DC is the capital of Unitied States, that means there are lots of people who are droping in for either their business or travels. Then congress can make a benefit from its circumstances, that is why cherry blossom can be used for tourism business in Washington DC.
avatar
Jung Yoojin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 77
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 35

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Lee Hye Jin on Mon Apr 14 2008, 06:13

Like you said the economic crisis is not limited to the U.S.A.. All the countries in the world is having eyes on the U.S economy.

However, all the financial experts say that they exepect better situation the latter half of the year at the beginning of every year. We've been sick and tired of listening to that kind of excuses.

We have to take action to solve the world-wide problem. I want the economic experts all over the world to get together and give us some cool direction. I hope the economy get better soon!!


Lee yujin wrote:Summary
Bernake said U.S economy will get wores the first half of this year before it will get better.
Probably the second half of the year the economy will be picked up by the stablization of the interest rates and housing.

Opinion
Nowday U.S have gone through the difficult time since the submorgage problem broke out.
Also bacause of the economic crisis of this most powerful country, the whole world seem to face with difficult time. Iim of the opinion that U.S should do take action on this crisis as soon as possible and as wiesly as possible.
Because this cisis would not be limitied to U.S. Since the pirice of oil and grain has been soaring, many poor country is suffering from femine and poverty. I even read the article that said Haiti people lived on the dust because of the high price of the food.

Prediction
As Bernake said this crisis could be extended before the recovery. It needs more time to deal with complcated problems on housing and loan interest rates. But I hope U.S economy will get better soon.
avatar
Lee Hye Jin
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 64
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I could understand well by your help.

Post  jihyun on Mon Apr 14 2008, 08:11

billy wrote:Summary: FRB chairman Ben Bernanke expects the US economy will stay at its current level or even may contract a little, but it will pick up in the 2nd half of the year as a result of aggressive interest rate cuts and stabilization of financial conditions and housing market.

Opinion: Bernanke told before congress that the US ecoonomy will improve in the 2nd half of the year 2008 even though it may retract a little from its already troubled state. However, I am of the opinion that the US economic president Bernanke's prediction is a little dangerous and biased. When the economic concerns resulting from the so-called subprime mortagage loan started to arise last year, many financial newspapers and investment companies reported that no one would be able to predict the impact it might have on the world economy, let alone the USA. Some financial experts expected that its economic loss might be more than the staggerting 500 billion dollars and the US government is reported to have put in 150 billion dollars as only an emergency measure. That is, as no one expected the strongest country would ever experience this economic fallout, any quick-tempered prediction may play havoc with the sign of recovery.

Prediction and 'Why': My prediction is that even though there is a little bit of good sign that the economy will get back on its right track such as seemingly stabilized gold and oil price and stock market, we must not come to any hasty conclusion that the US economy will pick up sooner or later. You may have heard about the so-called Butterfly Effect, which means a little flapping of one butterfly in Beijing could end up with a devastating tornado in the US. It looks like the direction may turn backward this time from the US to the rest of the world. As the NYSE market tumbled down, the world stock market indexes were shaking as well. The world economy is already too connected to underestimate the financial impact of the giant market. For now, we have to wait and see.

Actually, I am very poor at economy. So it was very difficult to listen to and understand this news. But
your writing is excellent. I could understand better than before. Thank you. By the way, how can you so well understand this kind of stuffs? There are also some expressions that I 've never heard of. How shame!! ㅠㅠ
I chose the first news 'Cherry blossom in DC' because it was much easier to listen. To be honest, I heard
from one of your junior that you are very good at speaking, writing, of course, listening English.
I want to know how to improve this kind of skills as a teacher.(Do I have to write this in Sam's section?^^;Wink
If you have time to give me an answer even if you are very busy with your adorable baby, pleassssse tell me
your secret!
avatar
jihyun
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 68
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Kim Hyunjin on Mon Apr 14 2008, 11:35

bobosbong wrote:Cherry blossom festival is being held in washington D.C. Many visitors are expected to join it up to millon. It originates back in 1912 when Japan gave 3000 cherry trees to the USA to commemortate the year as a landmark of growing friendship between two countries.

I'm of the opinion that beautiful things are more infectious than anything else. Cherry blossoms in spring give everyone such a happy, light-hearted mood. Japanese people sometimes call snow yukino hana, flowers of snow. If winter shows off its beauty by white snow, spring by its more-than-snow-like cherry blossoms, second to none; walking in the cherry blossom snow with a warm breeze is paradise, paradise.

I predict more and more countries, which have spring Smile , will adopt cherry blossom festival because not only does it attract many visitors as a tourist revenue but also it's well know to many people thorough the media. Therefore, if a country or city should plant trees on a regular basis, it should as far as I know, why not cherry trees? There's a growing demand for cherry blossoms out there.

Last class, I talked with you about this. Becasue we chose same topic, it was fun to talk with you. I thought there were so many difficult, social problems but I like beautiful, joyful things more, although I have no choice.
avatar
Kim Hyunjin
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 35
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Apr 14 2008, 12:17

Hyo-Jin Kim wrote:summary: There is likely to be a new villain in Bond's life who is a mayer of a remote, small town. He is supposed to be upset because of a fictional spy' adventures but he was detained by police.

George Cloony, a super Hollywood star, is planning to make a gradual transition from on the screen to behind the camera. Since he is well aware of his career as a leading man, he is making the third film as a director.

Madonna is taking a trip to Malawi, a southern African country, next week to see if she can adopt David Ritchie who is a local child having lived with her and her husband since 2006.

Celine Dion has to adjust her schedule after her April 13th' concert in Beijing was cancelled for the organizer's failure to obtain the permission despite selling thousands of tickets.

There is numerous support for Beyonce's wedding plan including filling out the account and a marriage license in LA.

Opinion: James bond seems to be challenging a new kind of performance. I'm very happy to see an actor making effort to satisfy the audience since there are too many actors and actresses who show the same thing over and over. Also, it sounds very good that George Cloony is trying to improve his career as a director beyond an actor. I don't think that entertainers can succeed only with their talents. They should continue not just to practice acting but to study the area so that they may keep their popularity and be remembered forever. Thus, we need such actors as James bond and George Cloony. I hope their works will be successful as well.

Next, I was very surprised to get to know Madonna's interests in adoption because Angelina Jolie was the only one that was interested in adopting children as I knew before. I'm of the opinion that she is doing an excellent job to popularize the adoption to the public. Since people know little about adoption, it is the best way for entertainers to commercialize it or to show it in practice.

Then, I feel sorry about that Celine Dion's concert has been cancelled. She has been blamed for it a lot as the reasons haven't been clearly revealed. Well-known people, especially entertainers, are likely to be often criticized by the media and farther the public even when it is not their fault. It was said that the cancellation was due to the organizers' mistake in the news. Therefore, we'd better not call Celine Dion to account, but the organizers.

Finally, it was good to hear about the marriage of Beyonce. She wasn't spoken of a lot in the news, but I surely understand that there must be a lot who are willing to support her wedding. If they support her wedding, they will be able to promote their products automatically and the products will be a big hit, considering her fame worldwide. However, I wish the supporters at least congratulate her wedding with sincere even if they help her for their good.

Prediction: I believe that the new movies of James Bond and George Cloony will be popular when they open for both the actor and the director are struggling to make good movies. Besides, it will motivate the other actors/actresses work harder. And Madonna will form a bigger family by successfully adopting David and more kids from other countries. It can have a great deal of influence on normal people hesitating to adopt children. Celine Dion might officially apologize to her disappointed fans and plan to have another concert in Beijing soon. Last, Beyonce will happily have a big wedding ceremony in a lot of supports and congratulations of all the people who love her.
I don't know why westers love the gossips about the celebrities. Without saying that, Koreans want to know more about them as well. In my case, I'd like to hear Ji-sung Park who plays in England. I probably envy his successful life abroad. One day, I was going oversees to study the language, but I lost the chance to go. Even though my another chance is running out to study outside the country, I am still dreaming about doing so, at the moment with my family.
Anyway, I love hollywood movies, but Jame bond movies are not favorite ones though nor George Clooney. I have no clue why women love him so much. He looks so smart and handsome, but what a man, he must be so tough to be with.
By the way, your summay is so good that I understand it. Good job, indeed! sunny
avatar
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 89
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Bae Sung-han on Mon Apr 14 2008, 12:27

Yoobin Cha wrote:


Summary: It's time to see pink in Washington DC.

With the annual Cherry Blossom Festival kicking off in US Capital, Organaizers
expect that million visitors will be drown(?) the city basin to see the show.
This years, the national park servicers predicted that the most famous pink blossoms or the reached peak blossom on April 3.

The point to the flower is officially sign that spring has sprung.

The festival commenorates the Japan in 1912 gifts to the United State.

3 thousand cherry blossom trees mark a growing friendship between two countries.


Opinion: I'm of the opinion that Cherry blossoms must be one of the most enduring
symbols of spring.
In KNU Campus, there are lots of Cherry blossom trees whose smell are
awesome. I love spring! I went to Su-sung pond last week. Thousands of
families, couples and groups descend to snap photos between the blossoms.
I boarded Duck Boat which can follow up real ducks and played dart game
which bursted ballons and gave me dolls as many as I bursted it. FYI, I got big
Hello Kitty doll made in China;; clown
It's time to observe the joyfulness of spring! Korea goes pretty in pink.


Prediction: My prediction is that around this time of year, two waves hit Korea
almost simultaneously. From the west, a gust of gold dust sweeps
across the Yellow Sea. The dust would be a good enough excuse to stay
indoors, but then you would miss a parade of cherry blossoms turning
areas of Korea into a pink wonderland.
In cherry blossom season, a number of festivals around Korea will be
giving viewers the opportunity to experience other activities while enjoying
the picturesque atmosphere.
Actually, I and my family lost the chance to enjoy the blossom of cherry trees last week. Yesterday, it was good to be outside in the campus of YeongNam Univ, which is nearby my house. Almost of the flowers are gone and other plants start to open their beauty. On my way to the parking lot, my daughter saw the beautiful scenaries on the green grass field. She was so interested in them and even she waved them by means of greetings. what a baby! I and my wife was laughing due to her behavior. She surprised us a lot so that I don't mind at all going out to stroll the flowery garden sooner or later with my daughter.
It was great time to be there under sunny day.
I hope you have someone who you want to share the pleasure with.
And Good luck with you. Ms Cha! Good job!
avatar
Bae Sung-han
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 89
Join date : 2008-03-12
Age : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news #4 (complete assignment online by Thursday April 10)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum