This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

new camera

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 16 2008, 18:44

This camera is not only big help to catch criminals but also means of criminal acts.
I wonder that deveoloping technology can make human life always bountiful.

Kim Hyunjin wrote:I was surprised that the computer can realize a person's age, gender and, as they said, this computer program has application to finding criminal suspects. Then, an idea occurred to me. If this program becomes popular, it can make easier for police identify and catch criminals.
If so, many criminals might try to change their own faces through a kind of plastic surgery like a Korean movie, 범죄의 재구성(The Big Swindle). Also, because the program only work on Asian faces, new programs which have application to other races will be made within near future.
avatar
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 56
Join date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

new camera

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:13

Hello, teacher.
You can say it again. I think that this new high-technology camera is enough to interfere in our life. As you know, women do not want to say their age so
when somebody asks them their age, unpleasured women usually answer "I am twenty or thirty something"
This camera is bad!
It estimates our crow's -feet and wrinkles and tells guys who eager to know women's age our real age.
I think that it is helpful to catch criminals but not to women.


Park, Saang-yung wrote:Hi, classmates and Jason.I have been pressed with time and work.. So I dropped in this site now.

** About the camera....
Many public offices and police will want to get the sensational camera.

As other classmates remarked on it, it will help to investigate criminals and suspects.

But it also tell many good citizens's personal information. For example, a pretty movie

star or singer doesn't want to reveal her real age to the public. In spite of her

complaint, people will come to recognize her age very easily with this camera. It is a

disaster for her life. So machines don't lead just to happy lives, but control and

interrupt our society and relationship..... Razz tongue
avatar
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 56
Join date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

new camera

Post  Yoobin Cha on Wed Apr 16 2008, 19:37

I agree with you. I think that this camera is not only helpful to catch criminals and also means of crimes.
In addintion, I think this camera can not be perfect to estimate our age.
Nowadays, plastic surgery which especially makes us look younger is prevalent in the world. I wonder that this camera can know a hollywood star, Demeria Gene Guynes, real age.
kiera wrote:Very Happy Opinion : I think this new camera technology will contribute a lot to reducing crimes. However, it also need to be improved since it only has data on Asian people.
And I don't think this technology will be popular among ordinary people who want to use their digital cameras for personal reasons such as taking pictures of their family members or friends.

Exclamation Predition : I think technology itself is neither good nor bad.
Rather, People who use it or the way people use it will determine its usefulness and goodness.
As I already said, this new technology will do goods in reducing crimes.
However, there might be new kinds of crimes making bad use of this technology ,and
it would seriously harm other people's privacy.
avatar
Yoobin Cha
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 56
Join date : 2008-03-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

Post  Ji Young, Kim on Wed Apr 16 2008, 20:45

I'm not that good at thinking critically, so when I first watched the news report, I just kind of wowed at the newest camera and its advanced technology. But after reading your opinion, I came to think of its usefulness. As you said, temporarily it can seize the attention of people like me who are interested in newly developed gadgets. But that doesn't guarantee that many customers will actually buy the stuff. When it comes to buying something, what matters is not how amazed you are at the object, but how useful you think it might be in your life. Still, it must be good to encourage people to come up with new ideas and invent new gadgets like this, 'cause this kind of efforts might eventually lead to a really great invention which can alter our lives fundamentally.

Anyway, I like your opinion. It is well-written and quite persuasive. Smile

Kim Eun-jung wrote:Opinion and Prediction:

Japan developed a new digital camera that can tell any person's age and gender. Definitely, it is an advanced technology. But new products based on high technology aren't necessarily successful in the market. When first released, they can seize the attention of the customers temporarily, but they can't survive if they just show off the new technology. They should have practical value and meet the customer's needs. For example, Napster could be successful not because the advanced p2p technology itself but because the free music contents users can get. The technology that can tell age and gender is a real invention, but what can we do with that technology? Only early adopters of technology might respond to the product and boost the sales temporarily, but as time goes by, customers' interest will gradually disappear.

Japan is a high technology power. If they can't succeed in marketing this product, they will invent and release another product based on this technology.
avatar
Ji Young, Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 46
Join date : 2008-03-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Very concise writing

Post  Lee Pilsu on Thu Apr 17 2008, 05:51

I enjoyed reading your opinion and prediciton which I think are very good and concise. They contain important summarized information, so I whould have been able to understand the whole picture of the story even if I hadn't watched the news. Your prediction is also interesting. I agree with your point that science is getting developed more and more. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable with some of those new invention because it enables others to know another person's private information like in this case one's age and gender.

choi Eun sil wrote:It's so amazing. I think it will be popular for a while , since people want to know if it really can regonize one's age and gender. However its popularity couldn't last long, because people usually don't want others to know their age. In addition, people will get tired of it soon. People always want someting more surprising.
But it's helpful to catch criminal or suspect. It can analyze the structure of one's bone. So It's easier for the police to catch criminal.
I can feel science getting developed more and more. I was surprised to hear the news. I wonder what the scientists will make next. Very Happy
avatar
Lee Pilsu
Wizard
Wizard

Posts : 58
Join date : 2008-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

Post  billy on Thu Apr 17 2008, 11:18

I couldn't agree with you more on this new gadget. Although it is very cleverly designed with the up-to-date technology, its usefulness is highly questioned, almost to the degree of denial rather than application. Plus, the error range is plus or minus 10 years. Isn't it ridiculous? Given the fact that man's life expectancy is around 70 years, the error range is never marginal. Though they say the level of technology will be heightened sooner or later, i believe its marketability will be very limited to some spy agency or secret institute because the current CCTV is more than enough to detect identity. As you said, this new device may attract public attention for a short time, but it will be erased in people's mind very instantly.


bobosbong wrote:I think the new gadget is a very creative model getting one step closer to AI Smile .
However, I don't think it will be popular on the market even though it will be launched. How many people or organizations are intereted in one's age and get benefits from capturing the ages of the people concerned. That is, it won't get the attention from the general public but only from a few organizations that need cutting edge technology as the report have mentioned.
Moreover, the vedio said that it could actually have a marginal error-minus or plus 10(?), even making less reliable on the camera. 10 years is too much of an inaccurate estimate; It's a happy thing that I have a possibility to look like a teenage girl, but in the worst case...I'd better not imagine.. I still have a long way to go and venture. bounce

In a nutshell, the new camear identifying age and gender is sure a novel creation; however, it might be forgotten sooner or later due to less demand and inaccuracy.

This was a prediction based on my opinion. Have a good weekend everyone. See you next Thursday. TGIT(Thanks God It's Thursday!)
avatar
billy
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 44
Join date : 2008-03-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Amazing camera

Post  Mijin Son on Thu Apr 17 2008, 12:32

Summary: Japanese camera has developed to recognize ones age and gender by measuring the bones and wrinkles on his or her face. The company anticipates that the owner of some stores will buy this camera for surveillances and it could be used to prevent crime by record the specific data of the criminals.



Opinion: This is an amazing technology. The speed of Japanese hi-tech development is behind the imagination. But when it comes to the preciseness of measuring is not so great-plus, minus 10. And also it will not work for the westerners because the company put only the Asian data into the system.



Prediction: In near future, this technology will work for the westerners as well. The company will construct the system to measure the characteristics of the westerners. But there might be some problems concerned with the privacy. This camera will record the information of individuals without any permission, and then it will violate the law which prevents collecting personal information without any permission. Therefore, to make this camera commercialized the company should check out the law related first.
avatar
Mijin Son
Mover
Mover

Posts : 17
Join date : 2008-03-20
Age : 36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

New camera identifying age&gender

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Fri Apr 25 2008, 17:23

Summary: Kawata, a laboratory man & developer of a cooperation, has come up with a digital camera that can tell your age and gender. The camera works by informing you of the age and gender after checking such features as bone structures, eye or mouth locations, and wrinkles around the eyes and nose, and comparing them among millions of photos stored in seperate computers. The camera is limited to Asian faces though it can't just make it easier for the police to identify the criminal suspects but also can help store owners stock them on shelves and advertise accordingly.


Opinion: It seems to me that the camera is original enough to meet the need of modern people who always look for something new. That is one of the things that we could only imagine when we got to think about the future, isn't it? I am of the opinion that Japanese people are brilliant even though it's a bit hard for me to admit it because I do have a bad point of view on Japan owing to what they did to Korea in the past, It's not all that They are really curious. Their constant trials and errors while studying and inventing things have made our life more convenient and lots of dreams of people actually come true by the way. They are additionally very creative. Both are what I think we should learn from them. Anyway, I am amazed by the camera. I'm curious about his intention to invent it. How interesting it is to see what I used to watch in cartoons about the world in 2010 as a child in reality!




Prediction: My prediction is that the camera will attract many people's interests and be utilized for various uses. As mentioned in the news, it is a very helpful aid for the police when indentifying the criminal suspects. It is sure that there would be some people asking how dare I could guarantee it because most criminals disguise themselves and then it is no use taking pictures with the camera. Also, it has another problem, not being able to work on non-Asian faces. We should not forget that it is just at the beginning, however. The weaknesses can be fixed sooner or later unless we give up developing it. As far as we are patient and wait, we will be able to see great results of it and achieve more inventions on basis of the technology.
avatar
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 41
Join date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

That's right!

Post  Hyo-Jin Kim on Fri Apr 25 2008, 19:23

I was happy to read your opinions on the same topic as I wrote about. It reminded me of that I missed the possibility of its being used other ways and doing harm to normal people. Shocked No one's information should be taken or used on a private purpose with any excuse. But I don't think we should stop developing such hi-tech for the reason. That's sort of wasting since there can be more pros than cons. Maybe, we'd better find solutions for the matter. Although it is impossible to get rid of it, there must be better ways than the current ones. It is necessary for the government to take strong measures as well as to ban it by law in case that anybody gets a disadvantage due to leaking personal information by chance, isn't it? We may as well think about the strong actions. I feel regretful about that the higer technology we develop, the more troubles we get to face with. Sad
And I loved your prediction. It sounds pretty specific and realistic. I am anxious that things will go as your prediction.


Lee Hye Jin wrote:opinion

With the benefit of modern technology, a great deal of progress has been made.

However, I think as technology is more developed the public privacy is more violated. So most of the honest and common people like me would not be happy about the news. Every technology has some good things and bad things. Some people will get advantage from it but for others it might be harmful.

However, I think we can't avoid this kind of situation. There are a lot of device using personal information for marketing and other purposes. Because technology is being developed day by day.




prediction

The camera would be developed more precisely so it could guess people's age and gender in the world without any error. So most of the store owners will use it and try to analyze their appetite. And CCTVs in dangerous areas will be replaced to these cameras. So not only the police but the government would be happy with this hi-tech camera.
avatar
Hyo-Jin Kim
Flyer
Flyer

Posts : 41
Join date : 2008-03-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: This week's video news... (discuss in class on March 13)

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum